PDA

View Full Version : Mheg-5

RogerThis
13-01-11, 04:09
Does the vuplus support MHEG-5?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHEG-5

guzz46
13-01-11, 08:02
I don't think so, i live in New Zealand and Freeview HD uses MHEG-5 and i can't get a full epg, only a few tv programs ahead.

pooface
13-01-11, 09:43
If I'm not wrong, mheg-5 is the standard used for freesat in the uk?

If so, then in the uk (and maybe new zealand, I dunno whether there are any differences?!), using the vix image, you should be able to get the epg by using the options in menu -> setup -> system -> customise -> enable freesat epg, and setting it to yes... Should then download the epg data from mheg-5 afaik... It works ok for me, so if it is using mheg-5, then it does work :p

guzz46
13-01-11, 10:05
Ok, but unfortunately for me i am using the blackhole image because i have a dvb-t tuner, does freesat only work if you are using a satellite tuner though? there are a few epg providers in the blackhole image but none for Freeview New Zealand, it would be nice to have a full epg but i'm not sure if its possible with my current setup.

pooface
13-01-11, 10:26
Ok, but unfortunately for me i am using the blackhole image because i have a dvb-t tuner, does freesat only work if you are using a satellite tuner though? there are a few epg providers in the blackhole image but none for Freeview New Zealand, it would be nice to have a full epg but i'm not sure if its possible with my current setup.

Cannot say 100%, but I would imagine mheg-5 is mheg-5, whether it's satellite or dvb-t... I think freesat was chosen as the name, because that's mainly what we use mheg-5 for here ;)

xarqi
13-01-11, 11:46
I don't think so, i live in New Zealand and Freeview HD uses MHEG-5 and i can't get a full epg, only a few tv programs ahead.
I'm confused. Freeview HD is not broadcast by satellite, so are you using a USB DVB-T tuner on your Duo?
I'm getting full ~8-day EPG off Optus D1 for all Freeview services, and SBS (and Sky for that matter, but I don't subscribe.)

P.S.

Oooops - I should have read more before replying. Sorry.

gipo
13-01-11, 15:10
If I'm not wrong, mheg-5 is the standard used for freesat in the uk?

If so, then in the uk (and maybe new zealand, I dunno whether there are any differences?!), using the vix image, you should be able to get the epg by using the options in menu -> setup -> system -> customise -> enable freesat epg, and setting it to yes... Should then download the epg data from mheg-5 afaik... It works ok for me, so if it is using mheg-5, then it does work :p

Can anybody confirm that this works for dvb-t

silverfox0786
13-01-11, 15:45
The MHEG-5 language itself is just that, a language. To be useful in any particular context, the language needs to be profiled. A broadcast profile of the language has been standardized by ETSI forming ETSI standard ES 202 184.

In the UK, MHEG-5 is used to provide interactive services for digital television. The full specification of how MHEG-5 is used in the context of the UK Freeview platform is the UK Profile of MHEG-5. MHEG is also used on Freesat, as opposed to the proprietary OpenTV platform used on Sky.

New Zealand, the same profile as in UK, with minor additions, is used.

In Hong Kong, TVB has also selected MHEG-5 middleware for interactive services available on its digital broadcasting channels.

Ireland has selected MHEG-5 (UK Profile, v1.06) middleware for interactive services as a recommended feature of its Minimum Receiver Requirements for DTT in Ireland. The name for Ireland's free digital service is Saorview.

Freeview (Australia) has also its profile.