PDA

View Full Version : Advice on VU+ 4K Uno two satellite LNB choices

HughR
16-01-17, 22:07
Although I've been a satellite tv enthusiast for many years, this is my first post on this forum. After several years of falling behind the times, I recently bought a Denon 4K surround amp and blu ray player and have ordered a Panasonic 65DX902B 4K tv which is arriving at the end of the week.

I am looking at buying a VU+ 4K Uno as an update from my current Humax HD PVR. I have a Humax Freesat box, so the VU+ Uno would be set up for two satellites, Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 13. Alternatively on Astra 19.2 for tuner 1 with the second tuner used for a motorised connection.

My question is on the type of lnb I should buy? The easiest solution would be a fixed monoblock dual sat lnb ( I have an 80cm dish).

But as the VU+ 4K Uno is compatible with Unicable lnbs, I wonder whether to buy two of them, one for each sat, or just one and connect the legacy port to the second tuner and buy a new motor as I read that the Unicable lnb itself is not motor compatible.

What are the recording capabilities on the Uno using a dual sat monoblock lnb on Atra and Hotbird versus the benefits of a Unicable lnb with the legacy port for a motorised connection? Any advice on setup and lnb choice would be appreciated.

Huevos
16-01-17, 22:24
If you just want 13E and 19E put 2 Unicable LNBs on a fixed dish and take a cable from each to each tuner. Like that you could set up to record up to four channels from each satellite.

Think of a motor like an emergency measure. You use a motor to receive from satellites you don't have a fixed dish aligned to... but zapping between satellites takes a long time because the dish has to move. Typically you would use a Universal single LNB. Anything else would be a crippled setup.

HughR
16-01-17, 23:13
Thanks Huevos, yes, that looks like a good option. Now I just have to figure out the difference between the Unicable I and II lnbs. I will need one legacy output from 19.2 to feed to my German girlfriend's tv.

abu baniaz
17-01-17, 02:27
Good bargain here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54883-Inverto-Unicable-LNB

HughR
17-01-17, 02:43
Thanks Abu, that is a good deal. I actually found a pair of DUR-line Unicable II lnbs on amazon Germany with damaged packaging, so very cheap and also got a 6º lnb holder at the same time. All I need now is the Uno 4K!

DaMacFunkin
17-01-17, 09:42
Thanks Abu, that is a good deal. I actually found a pair of DUR-line Unicable II lnbs on amazon Germany with damaged packaging, so very cheap and also got a 6º lnb holder at the same time. All I need now is the Uno 4K!

You may get one of those cheap as well, people seem to be off loading them because they can't work Oscam PMSFL.

Rob van der Does
17-01-17, 10:27
If you just want 13E and 19E put 2 Unicable LNBs on a fixed dish and take a cable from each to each tuner.
Have you been able to find 2 Unicable LNB's that are small enough to sit so close to each other?

HughR
17-01-17, 12:48
Hi DaMacFunkin, what do you mean that the DUR-line Unicable lnbs will not work with Oscam PMSFL? Please explain. Ta!

HughR
17-01-17, 12:52
@Rob, is 6º not enough distance for two lnbs? I ordered the DUR-line two lnb holder here: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00SMXK3AE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If the lnbs I got will not allow enough space between them, I had better act quick and cancel my order! https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008509W8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To be on the safe side, I cancelled my order for the two lnbs until I am sure they will fit together with a 6º space! I can always reorder again.

HughR
17-01-17, 13:27
I wonder if two of these newer/thinner Unicable lnbs or two (Invertos) will fit side by side with 6º gap? http://www.durasat.de/lnb-lnc/dur-line/dur-line-lnb/dur-line-uk-104-unicable-lnb.html

Huevos
17-01-17, 13:30
Have you been able to find 2 Unicable LNB's that are small enough to sit so close to each other?6 degrees is fine on an 80cm dish.

HughR
17-01-17, 13:48
Thanks Huevos. Yes, I have an 80cm dish and I will go for the thinner lnbs to be sure. Is there any great advantage of Unicable II lnbs over Unicable I? Will the additional programming possibilities be useful?

And what about DaMacFunkin's comments about lack of compatibility with Oscam? Does that mean nothing is written in the softcam sofware for Unicable lnb connection? Hmm!

abu baniaz
17-01-17, 14:01
He is talking about Arm receivers, not the LNB.

Rob van der Does
17-01-17, 14:02
6 degrees is fine on an 80cm dish.
Surely not for Inverto Unicable II LNB's; they're very wide and will never fit.
Not sure about other brands though.

HughR
17-01-17, 14:48
Who else has a setup with two Unicable LNBs on Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 13. and which LNBs did you use?

I haven't been able to find the widths of the Inverto Unicable lnb versus the DUR-line yet but they don't look very different from photos. Both have a vertical alignment so are thinner than the older horizontal type.

Rob van der Does
17-01-17, 15:15
I haven't been able to find the widths of the Inverto Unicable lnb versus the DUR-line yet but they don't look very different from photos. Both have a vertical alignment so are thinner than the older horizontal type.
Going by the pictures the DUR-line looks fine (small enough), but the Inverto is extremely wide.

TK4|2|1
18-01-17, 07:54
You can always invert one lnb 180degrees if too close.
I remember doing this with the old Amstrad blue cap lnb's.

DaMacFunkin
18-01-17, 08:23
Hi DaMacFunkin, what do you mean that the DUR-line Unicable lnbs will not work with Oscam PMSFL? Please explain. Ta!

Sorry I meant you may get a 4K receiver cheap because people can't work Oscam.

dlmlus
18-01-17, 11:56
Sorry I meant you may get a 4K receiver cheap because people can't work Oscam.

I,ve just moved over to Oscam on my Technomate 3T, Is there a difference using it on a box with a Arm Processer, ie setting it up.

Cheers

Andy_Hazza
18-01-17, 12:01
I,ve just moved over to Oscam on my Technomate 3T, Is there a difference using it on a box with a Arm Processer, ie setting it up.

Cheers

No different, just that ARM only uses Oscam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlmlus
18-01-17, 13:26
No different, just that ARM only uses Oscam.

Cheers Andy
Thats reassuring
Now all i have to do is make up my mind (which is in a whirl at the moment).

Budget wise i have 3 choices:

1. VU+Uno4K with Turbo Tuner. I know you like VU+
2.Mutant H51 (and lose a s2 tuner)
3.Octagon SF4008 (when available)
And i believe Twol likes No2

I rely on more knowledgeable people like yourself and Twol and Robin and many others to help me make a decision.
Cheers

Andy_Hazza
18-01-17, 13:33
I would seriously look at Option 3. I like the Vu+ Uno 4K, and with the FBC Tuner it has endless recording possibilities, but you need the Unicable II/JESS LNB to fully utilise that, so if that isn't what you want, then Option 3 could be your best bet. [emoji1360]

P.S. Not endless, but lots of recording possibilities. [emoji4]

Rob van der Does
18-01-17, 14:30
But be aware that option 3 doesn't do transcoding and HbbTV (at least not as far as I know now).

dlmlus
18-01-17, 16:11
Andy, Rob
Thank You for your comments, Its a big help.
I don,t need loads of recording options, Just 2 or 3, Or transcoding.
So option 3 does indeed look best.

Always get my box,s from WOS, Well my last two anyway(Uno and 3T and Mag 254 and twin tuner for the Uno)
With Vix image when available of course.
Thanks again
Guys

Andy_Hazza
18-01-17, 16:25
Be good to hear what you thoughts are if you do go with Option 3. [emoji4]

dlmlus
18-01-17, 19:17
Be good to hear what you thoughts are if you do go with Option 3. [emoji4]

I,ll be more than happy to report back, May be a while though.
From what others are saying getting one of these box,s, May mean waiting a while longer.
Some are quoted as saying towards the end of this month.
I think team Vix will be at the ready though.