PDA

View Full Version : VU+4K Ultimo Options for living/working in Germany

John57
12-01-17, 15:00
Afternoon All

I have been following the VU+4K Ultimo receiver thread with a great deal of interest as I would like to try and take advantage of all that this new receive has to offer.

I have a new 4k UHD TV (although I realise that there are not may UHD channels at the moment) and from what I have read from other forum members this receiver has numerous configuration opportunities that “could make it for now somewhat future proof”

I am currently living and working in Germany and I do all of my viewing over satellite (one 90cm dish) with two quad lnb’s picking up Astra 19 & 28 (UK) with great reception, UK channels are much stronger in signal strength then the local German ones, software Vix 4.2.21

I confess I don’t know much if anything about the new FBC Turner options/configurations that are now on the market but I can research all of that.
Germany is currently in the process of changing its digital TV format to a new format called DVB-T2 HD - Freenet (I guess this is similar to Freeview back home) and promises uplift in picture quality compared to what is currently available

My question to the knowledgeable forum members is reference VU+4K Ultimo

a) FBC Tuner, could I still take advantage this option with my current satellite set up with existing lnbs?

b) Could I install a internal turner to pick up cable TV, ie German Cable – Unitymedia

c) Can install a new DVB-T2 HD – Freenet tuner and if yes if I purchase a cam from a local TV shop will it work as these new TV cams do not use a card, all the so called encryption is done inside of the cam.
Is all the above something I could order with my specific configuration from our sponsor?

Regards
John

Nitemare
12-01-17, 15:29
John,
A) YES (DVB-S2 FBC Tuner slot 1 works fine)
B) YES (DVB-C FBC Tuner Slot 2)
C) YES (DVB-T/T2 Tuner slot 3)

Not sure about the German Freenet service but I'm sure its available locally in Germany ...

hope this helps ...?

twol
12-01-17, 15:29
Afternoon All

I have been following the VU+4K Ultimo receiver thread with a great deal of interest as I would like to try and take advantage of all that this new receive has to offer.

I have a new 4k UHD TV (although I realise that there are not may UHD channels at the moment) and from what I have read from other forum members this receiver has numerous configuration opportunities that “could make it for now somewhat future proof”

I am currently living and working in Germany and I do all of my viewing over satellite (one 90cm dish) with two quad lnb’s picking up Astra 19 & 28 (UK) with great reception, UK channels are much stronger in signal strength then the local German ones, software Vix 4.2.21

I confess I don’t know much if anything about the new FBC Turner options/configurations that are now on the market but I can research all of that.
Germany is currently in the process of changing its digital TV format to a new format called DVB-T2 HD - Freenet (I guess this is similar to Freeview back home) and promises uplift in picture quality compared to what is currently available

My question to the knowledgeable forum members is reference VU+4K Ultimo

a) FBC Tuner, could I still take advantage this option with my current satellite set up with existing lnbs?

b) Could I install a internal turner to pick up cable TV, ie German Cable – Unitymedia

c) Can install a new DVB-T2 HD – Freenet tuner and if yes if I purchase a cam from a local TV shop will it work as these new TV cams do not use a card, all the so called encryption is done inside of the cam.
Is all the above something I could order with my specific configuration from our sponsor?

Regards
John

You must be living in far Western Germany with a 90cm dish .... I need a 1.50M to pick up the FTA channels living North of Munich
"Germany is currently in the process of changing its digital TV format to a new format called DVB-T2 HD - Freenet (I guess this is similar to Freeview back home) and promises uplift in picture quality compared to what is currently available" .... not round here .......Bavaria is a sea of Sat dishes:) .... and I don,t see the folks changing to anything else.

John57
12-01-17, 15:48
Nitemare/twol

Thank you both very much for your feedback its really appreciated

A) YES (DVB-S2 FBC Tuner slot 1 works fine) - GREAT
B) YES (DVB-C FBC Tuner Slot 2) - GREAT
C) YES (DVB-T/T2 Tuner slot 3) Needs to be a DVB-T/T2 HD in order to get the so called new Freenet TV (yes it is similar to freeview)

Currently living just North of Dusseldorf, as I already mentioned the signal strength from Astra 28 is great and according to my signal meter within my VU+Solo 2 the signal is reaching as high as 15.6db,(I know this is part meaningless but its a small guide and indication for me)

Many thanks
John.

Nitemare
12-01-17, 16:02
DVB-T2 is the HD version ... DVB-T is SD ... so tuner will do both simialr to Freeview in UK with DVB-T/T2 services ...

:thumbsup:

Trial
12-01-17, 16:17
Hi,
caution twice:
1. FBC DVB-C works only in one slot I think the first one.
2. DVB-T2 freenet TV HD or what ever together with the cam only works with 1 out of 3 possible DVB-T-Tuner afaik.

Ralf

John57
12-01-17, 16:24
Nitemare

Much appreciated (DVB-T2 is the HD version ... DVB-T is SD ... so tuner will do both simialr to Freeview in UK with DVB-T/T2 services):thumbsup:

From what I have read so far regarding the new Freenet system they are advocating its enhanced picture quality, they will also be doing away with any SD content so just HD in 1080p format (HEVC).

John57
12-01-17, 16:32
Ralf

Many thanks for your additional advice

(caution twice:
1. FBC DVB-C works only in one slot I think the first one.
2. DVB-T2 freenet TV HD or what ever together with the cam only works with 1 out of 3 possible DVB-T-Tuner afaik)

Regards
John

Nitemare
12-01-17, 16:32
Yup DVB-T2 is simply HD (1080i) verison of DVB-T (SD) ...

I'm sure the internal DVB-T2 tuner offered by VU+ will work fine in the Ultimo 4K (slot 3) ... my VU+ USB tuner (Turbo) does so via the USB port ...

As stated the DVB-T2 FBC tuner needs to be in Slot 1 and your DVB-S/S2 tuner in slot 2 ...

John57
12-01-17, 16:54
Nitemare

If it turns out to be a issue with the FBC Tuner in slot one/slot three then I will connect the DVB-T2 HD module direct into the TV cam input thereby avoiding any conflict.

John

Andy_Hazza
12-01-17, 18:55
John, to fully utilise the Satellite FBC tuner(s) to its full potential you would need a Unicable 2/JESS LNB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John57
12-01-17, 19:10
Evening Andy

After reading the various threads I have come to the same opinion as you have kindly stated (Unicable 2/JESS LNB.)

It need to do a little more research regarding these new types of LNB's

Many thanks Andy

John

Andy_Hazza
12-01-17, 19:26
The Inverto Unicable 2/JESS LNB is great. The model of mine and a few of the Dev team members can be found in my signature. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial
12-01-17, 20:20
Hi,
what conflict with slot 1+3? Only slots 1+2 are for FBC and slot 3 only normal old tuner. I do not think that you need more then 1 or 2 tuner for DVB-T2 but inform yourself about the CI+ module and the correct tuner. You will always have your TV as fallback tuner:-)

btw. Germany is many times different. In Germany DVB-T2 is h265 and 1080p.

Ralf

John57
13-01-17, 10:50
Andy

Once again thanks for the heads up reference your preferred LNB option (Inverto Unicable 2/JESS LNB) will absolutely inform myself about this product as am typically someone who like to research prior to purchasing.....much appreciated

Ralf, sorry for the confusion ....my mistake reference stating slot 1 & 3, thanks for correcting me.
Ralf do you have any experience in using the new DVB-T2 is h265 and 1080p format and if yes would you say it's a good improvement on what Germany currently has?

Regards
John

Huevos
13-01-17, 22:33
Yup DVB-T2 is simply HD (1080i) verison of DVB-T (SD) ...

I'm sure the internal DVB-T2 tuner offered by VU+ will work fine in the Ultimo 4K (slot 3) ... my VU+ USB tuner (Turbo) does so via the USB port ...

As stated the DVB-T2 FBC tuner needs to be in Slot 1 and your DVB-S/S2 tuner in slot 2 ...
This is not true. There is no such thing as a DVB T2 FBC tuner. Also the hybrid PnP T2 tuners are not fully DVB API V5 compliant and do not work properly on German T2 multiplexes. Will need a driver update to fix it. Don't hold your breath.

Huevos
13-01-17, 22:43
Also therw is no connection between T2 and HD. That is just a British fashion. There are SD channels on T2 multiplexes and HD channels on DVB-T multiplexes. Many countries don't have T2 multiplexes at all.

DaMacFunkin
14-01-17, 08:22
This is not true. There is no such thing as a DVB T2 FBC tuner. Also the hybrid PnP T2 tuners are not fully DVB API V5 compliant and do not work properly on German T2 multiplexes. Will need a driver update to fix it. Don't hold your breath.

I would imagine if a driver is required for the German market it will happen, Germany is a big market for VU+ is it not?

twol
14-01-17, 08:27
I would imagine if a driver is required for the German market it will happen, Germany is a big market for VU+ is it not?
Do you think they respond to ATV any faster:) This is Vu we are talking about!!!
However, Mutant and now Octagon (a ""real"" German company :) ) are responding well ... you are correct its a big market .... I am surrounded by Sat dishes, in Munich they often literally hang from every balcony:)

Trial
14-01-17, 10:51
Hi John57,
sorry beside some little tests I never made something with DVB-T(2). It is a bit overkill in my eyes to have DVB-S2, DVB-C, IPTV and then also DVB-T2. It is a bit exaggeration don´t you think:-)

ciao

John57
14-01-17, 16:39
Trial

Thank you for your input, all I was trying to achieve was to make sure as best I can to be so called "future proof" going forward in 2017 as best as one can without investing in multiple hardware option and bringing them all together as I am looking for a new 4k receiver to be my main driver I just thought that the VU+Ultimo "Might" be the sensible option.

I was also interested in the comment from Twol and his statement which is interesting to me as I never thought or considered looking at a Mutant or Octagon units before and IF they are able to produce and support products that turn out to be more suitable/compatible for the German market then this might be the option I should consider, or for as long as I remain in Germany before moving back to the UK.....choices, so many choices

Regards
John

Trial
14-01-17, 22:04
Hi,
is it possible that you are a Queen fan?

"I want it all. I want it all. And I want it NOW":-)

Ralf

Huevos
14-01-17, 22:13
I would imagine if a driver is required for the German market it will happen, Germany is a big market for VU+ is it not?That tuner has been available several years and still does not identify itself correctly in DVB API V5.

Rob van der Does
15-01-17, 03:32
Also therw is no connection between T2 and HD. That is just a British fashion. There are SD channels on T2 multiplexes and HD channels on DVB-T multiplexes. Many countries don't have T2 multiplexes at all.
Exactly.
And the same as h264 is used for HD as well as for SD (while the urge to define and use h264 was the extended bandwidth requirement for HD).

John57
15-01-17, 12:36
Ralf,

A very good guess on your part, yes I do like Queen and do have a few albums from them:) Apologies for "I want it all" I guess we when we invest in new product/models/technology we all hope that it is in some way future proof even if in reality technology never stands still.

Huevos/Rob, thank you both for your valued input.

Regards
John :thumbsup:

DaMacFunkin
15-01-17, 14:02
I Want It All wasn't that bad, no apologies needed, the rest of the album, well...
Shouldn't speak ill of the dead is what I say.

Trial
15-01-17, 15:54
Hi,
thinking before buying is never a bad idea. I normally do it the other way around:-) No need to apologize. It is far better than later complaining that something is not as wished.

Ralf