PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie looking for advice on replacing Sky tv

psychosis81
11-01-17, 15:35
Afternoon All,

I've just invested in a Firestick with Kodi installed and am now thinking of sacking off Sky altogether. After looking round at FreeSat, etc, I've stumbled across the devices recommended on here but don't know where to start!

Essentially I'm looking for a FreeSat equivalent that can be connected to my old Sky dish for as many channels as possible. I've no idea what options are out there and what is even possible so could do with pointing in that direction if anyone can help?

Cheers

Dan

:thumbsup:

danlou
11-01-17, 16:55
Hi

Welcome to the World of Satellite forum.
There are certain things that can't and won't be discussed on this forum so I suggest you read the rules first and foremost.

All the boxes purchased from the forum sponsor are capable of free-to-air viewing and will take an official subscription Sky card for official viewing.

cheers

psychosis81
11-01-17, 17:07
Hi,

Note taken, cheers. I only mentioned the Kodi as that seems to be the standard response when I say I'm looking for an alternative to Sky. I'm looking at free-to-air viewing options and didn't realise there were so many available so don't know where to start. Don't want to get a standard FreeSat box if there's much better out there.

Regards

Willmoore
11-01-17, 17:18
All depends on what you want - if you don't need a hard drive or twin tuner (in other words do not require the ability to record one channel whilst watching another) then the Edision Mini is an excellent receiver for little money.
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Edision/Edision-os-mini-dvb-s-s2

psychosis81
11-01-17, 18:33
Thanks for your help.

I was hoping to use my old Sky aerial as a digital receiver and have a device where I can watch 1 channel and record another (as with Sky +), I presume that's all doable? I've got an old hard drive I can install, is there any way of downloading to a Synology NAS device or is that asking a bit much?

Regards

goosegog
11-01-17, 19:55
Hi,yes you use the same sat feed from your dish,if you want to watch one channel and record another you will need a twin tuner.depends on what size hard drive you have eg:2.5 or 3.5 as some only take 2.5 so you will have to consider that if you wish to use old hard drive.yes you can share with your nas drive.plenty of twin tuner recievers depends on your budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk