PDA

View Full Version : Autoresolution

Nitemare
11-01-17, 13:13
Hi,
Current image is the OBH 0.6 ULTIMO 4K PRE-RELEASE ...

Issue ... since build update 0.6.23 (which is aligned to the OpenVix build 4.2.023) the Autoresolution plugin no longer appears to work ...

Until that update I had a fully working plugin being able to have 2160P to my 4K TV (default setting in AV of Ultimo 4K) and have my other 1080P TV's could be set to auto change to 1080P by the TV's resolution switching circuitry.

Currently my Autoresolution screen shows the following when enabled ... "Auto Resolution is not working in Scart/DVI-PC Mode" there are NO other lines on the screen.

I realise that the image is PRE-RELEASE but it was working fine prior to this update of image. I've noticed that the OpenVix oe-git log does show that quite a few updates to 3rd party feeds took place and was wondering if this is what's happened??

by-the-by I tested the OpenVTi image and the Autoresolution is still there working fine ... but I prefer the layout of OpenVix/OpenBlackHole Images ...

Has anyone else encountered this?

Is there a solution?

Thanks,
Nitemare :)

rossi2000
11-01-17, 14:23
Auto-Res is built into the image
no need for a plugin

Enable Autoresolution in AV settings.

Nitemare
11-01-17, 15:43
Auto-Res is built into the image
no need for a plugin

Enable Autoresolution in AV settings.

Yes I tried the "built-in" settings (AV) but they don't meet the demands I require? For some reason each resolution there only gives two options neither of which help me. The autoresolution plugin however, does offer several resolution options per setting and then I can get my desired result.

Thanks.

rossi2000
11-01-17, 18:24
which other options are needed other than the 2 given?
some e.g.:?

Rob van der Does
11-01-17, 18:43
... since build update 0.6.23 (which is aligned to the OpenVix build 4.2.023) the Autoresolution plugin no longer appears to work .......
If that is true that is a bug.
The AR-plugin should work, as it has more options then the build in AR-functionality. And that's intended that way.

s2tephen
11-01-17, 20:11
OBH 0.6 ULTIMO 4K PRE-RELEASE ...

Any chance at trying this pre release.

Nitemare
11-01-17, 20:46
If that is true that is a bug.
The AR-plugin should work, as it has more options then the build in AR-functionality. And that's intended that way.

EXACTLY ... before the issue AR gave you multiple resolutions for each mode .. ie take HD I could have 1080i or 1080p etc but now there is only 1080p 24 or 25 to choose ...
In short AR worked fine in OBH prior to recent online updates ... it must be a bug??

Nitemare
11-01-17, 21:00
If you check out the VTI image for the Ultimo you will see how AR should be. I've set mode to 2160p in AV menu and then in AR I've selected 1080p for every other mode ie SD 25/50 and so on.
So my 4K TV decodes 4K channels in full 2160 and if I switch to a 1080 channel the TV auto switches to 1080p and vice versa.
As stated this worked in OBH image too until recent image updates. I think from 4.2.024 onwards.

Rob van der Does
12-01-17, 07:02
EXACTLY ... before the issue AR gave you multiple resolutions for each mode .. ie take HD I could have 1080i or 1080p etc but now there is only 1080p 24 or 25 to choose ...
Yep, the embedded AR is a mini version of the AR-plugin. It will be sufficient for most people & situations. If not, the AR-plugin is available.

In short AR worked fine in OBH prior to recent online updates ... it must be a bug??Yep: if the AR plugin doesn't work any more it's a bug. You might try a flash (first without restore, only install AR, you can restore at a later stage).

Rob van der Does
12-01-17, 08:28
I confirm the AR-plugin issue on ViX. I'll file a bug report.
Thanks for reporting.

Sicilian
12-01-17, 08:45
Rob, i'm 99% sure this is down to last release of vu drivers. Nothing to do With image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
12-01-17, 09:08
Nope, I found the issue to be in this commit:

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/commit/1aa8c29b36c1c871321550b0ce4b5347698ce659
When using the plugin.py from before that commit the AR-plugin works fine, also in VU's on ViX-release 4.2.026 (although I can't test 4k boxes, but on others it's fine).

Nitemare
12-01-17, 10:11
I confirm the AR-plugin issue on ViX. I'll file a bug report.
Thanks for reporting.

Thanks Rob (and others) ...
My limited coding knowledge means I rely on people like yourself to keep the images spot on.

Like I said earlier when I tried the VTi image all seems to work perfectly ... I'm not sure how able you and OBH guys are able to use their coding lines in your respective images?

I look forward to any solution being implemented in an update? (pity no VIX image yet to test for the Ultimo 4K ;))

Cheers,
Nitemare.

When using the plugin.py from before that commit ... any chance of this py file to get me back to previous?

Rob van der Does
13-01-17, 03:15
The issue has been found & fixed, so in next ViX build you can use tha AR-plugin again. Surely BH will take aboard this fix as well.

Nitemare
13-01-17, 10:12
The issue has been found & fixed, so in next ViX build you can use tha AR-plugin again. Surely BH will take aboard this fix as well.

Great news Rob ... yes I'm sure BH guys will follow ...

Thanks again for all coding work ... really appreciated.

Nitemare :thumbsup:

Ev0
13-01-17, 10:34

We will :thumbsup:

Nitemare
13-01-17, 11:11
We will :thumbsup:

Great Ev0 ... thanks so much!!!! :thumbsup:

DaMacFunkin
13-01-17, 11:46
OBH stealing a march heh, C'mon Vix sort them out. :D

Nitemare
14-01-17, 10:59
Hi all,
Just to confirm that Autoresolution IS now working again on the OBH image ... :thumbsup:

Wanted to says thanks to those who confirmed the issue I'd seen and then corrected the coding to fix it!!! Wish I was that talented ... lol

So for any others here is my settings:

Main AV Settings: Mode 2160p with Multi Refresh Rate

Autoresolution Plug-in: All modes set to 1080p50 EXCEPT for HD Progressive which is set to Default (i.e. 2160p) Refresh Rates set to Multi for all modes

This then lets my 4K TV (Panasonic DX700) auto switch from 2160 to 1080 as I zap between 4K and HD/SD channels. On my non-4K TV's they default switch to 1080p ... all show as normal EXCEPT 2160p channels (black screen due to no 2160p capability) but I knew that'd be the case ... means I need more 4K TV's!! lol ...

Thanks again to all involved sorting the issue and much appreciate the time and effort that goes into making the images!!! :thumbsup:

Nitemare
26-01-17, 11:26
Hi,
Looking at this Autoresolution again ...

Is it possible to add a mode for 1280*720 broadcasts to the plugin? (i.e. for German ARD channels etc.) They broadcast in this standard and with there being no mode available to set as 1080P in the plugin my TV defaults to the 2160P default in the AV settings menu.
This is fine on my sole 4K TV but obviously not on my 1080P TV's (black screen)

Just wondered if you coders can add this mode?

Thanks,

Rob van der Does
26-01-17, 12:02
I was wondering the same thing. Trying to make a setting to get those services to output the same resolution as the source failed here.

Nitemare
26-01-17, 12:18
I was wondering the same thing. Trying to make a setting to get those services to output the same resolution as the source failed here.

The Autoresolution plugin in the VTi image is the best I've tried so far ... it has UHD modes added for Interlace and Progessive scanning too ... but like the Vix/OBH images no modes for 1280*720 ...

I'm sure Autoresolution could be adapted to add the modes required???

Rob van der Does
26-01-17, 18:09
FYI: @Birdman, being our in-house AR-expert, will have a look at this.

birdman
26-01-17, 19:02
FYI: @Birdman, being our in-house AR-expert, will have a look at this.Hmmm...I look at a file once, for a coding issue, and become The Expert!!

But let's see....

birdman
26-01-17, 19:12
Is it possible to add a mode for 1280*720 broadcasts to the plugin? (i.e. for German ARD channels etc.)That looks like 720p to me. But there is 720p24 and 720p25.

Could you switch to one of these channels and you'll see entries in the debug log from these statements:

print "[AutoRes] new content is %sx%s%s%s" %(width, height, prog, frate)
print '[AutoRes] determined videomode', new_mode

What do they report? Indeed, any [AutoRes] lines would be of interest.

They broadcast in this standard and with there being no mode available to set as 1080P in the plugin my TV defaults to the 2160P default in the AV settings menu.Not sure what you mean by "there being no mode available to set as 1080P in the plugin".

It sounds as though what is actually needed here is a maximum resolution to set (i.e. the user should be able to remove things from modes_available on the box if they aren't available on the TV that will be displaying them).

birdman
26-01-17, 19:18
Is it possible to add a mode for 1280*720 broadcasts to the plugin?It might help if you could record a few minutes of this and post the file somewhere for me to pick up?

Nitemare
26-01-17, 23:11
That looks like 720p to me. But there is 720p24 and 720p25.

Could you switch to one of these channels and you'll see entries in the debug log from these statements:

print "[AutoRes] new content is %sx%s%s%s" %(width, height, prog, frate)
print '[AutoRes] determined videomode', new_mode

What do they report? Indeed, any [AutoRes] lines would be of interest.

Not sure what you mean by "there being no mode available to set as 1080P in the plugin".

It sounds as though what is actually needed here is a maximum resolution to set (i.e. the user should be able to remove things from modes_available on the box if they aren't available on the TV that will be displaying them).

Hi Birdman,
Glad someone with "brains" on the case!! lol

OK ... here's a resume of my set-up (which I'm sure many others have now too at home)

TV1 - Panasonic 4K 2016 model
TV2 & 3 - Panasonic HD 2014 & 2015 models

(all TV's set to Auto Change according to resolution received, i.e. auto switch from 2160-1080-720-576 dependent on signal)

Sat Box - VU+ Ultimo 4K

Images (on Multiboot) Vix 4.2.027/OBH 0.6.027/VTi 11.0.1

AV Settings (VU+ Ultimo 4K) - Set to: Mode=2160p Refresh Rate=Multi

AutoResolution Plugin - Enabled (and each mode configured as follows)
ALL Modes set to 1080p50 EXCEPT ... HD Progressive which is set to DEFAULT (i.e.2160p as per AV settings see above)

This results in my 4K TV auto switching to 2160p for 4K received signals (e.g Astra UHD Demo10994H 22000 5/6 on Astra 1 @ 19.2°) and then back to 1080p50 for all other non UHD channels ... brilliant! :)
However, on my Standard HD TV's they obviously don't have 2160 resolution capability so if i tune to a 4K channel on VU+ box it shows black screen ... (that's OK as at mo not a lot of 4K programming and its just means an expense to get another 4K capable TV lol ...)

All was fine until tuned to the FTA HD German channels on Astra 1 ... (e.g. 3 Sat 11347 V 22000 2/3) ... my 4K TV switched to the DEFAULT AV Setting of 2160p for these channels even though they show a Broadcast resolution of 1280*720p50 ... and so on my NON 4K TV's the screen is now black as the VU+ Box thinks its a 4K signal being received!!

The ONLY thing I put this down to is that the AUTORESOLUTION plugin needs an extra "Mode" added to deal with this resolution ...

When using the VTi Image the problem DOESN'T occur ... the German channels show as expected in 1080p resolution ... and I BELIEVE because their AUTORESOLUTION plugin has two EXTRA modes ...

UHD Progressive and UHD Interlace modes ... so this means that HD Progressive can be set to 1080p and not 2160p as it is in VIX/OBH images (IS THIS THE ISSUE???)

My settings are as per VIX/OBH - 1080p for all modes EXCEPT for the UHD modes which are set to DEFAULT (i.e. 2160 in AV Settings Menu)

This is probably as clear as MUD but please say if you need more??

I added pics for AR plugin from VIX and VTI image and you can see UHD modes added.

Cheers,
Nitemare.

birdman
27-01-17, 00:47
Have you considered not using AutoResolution at all, fixing the output of your box to match the resolution of TV set to which it is connected and letting the box scale to that resolution?

birdman
27-01-17, 00:51
All was fine until tuned to the FTA HD German channels on Astra 1 ... (e.g. 3 Sat 11347 V 22000 2/3) ... my 4K TV switched to the DEFAULT AV Setting of 2160p for these channels even though they show a Broadcast resolution of 1280*720p50 ... and so on my NON 4K TV's the screen is now black as the VU+ Box thinks its a 4K signal being received!!

The ONLY thing I put this down to is that the AUTORESOLUTION plugin needs an extra "Mode" added to deal with this resolution The box can only output resolution that are available to it. Does it actually have a 720p50 capability? (I suspect it does, but worth checking).

So login to the box, run cat /proc/stb/video/videomode_choices and post the result.

Ev0
27-01-17, 00:55
The box can only output resolution that are available to it. Does it actually have a 720p50 capability? (I suspect it does, but worth checking).

So login to the box, run cat /proc/stb/video/videomode_choices and post the result.

root@vuultimo4k:~# cat /proc/stb/video/videomode_choices
pal ntsc 480i 576i 1080i 1080p 720p 480p 1080i50 1080p24 1080p25 1080p30 1080p50 1080p60 720p24 720p50 576p 2160p50 2160p 2160p24 2160p25 2160p30

Rob van der Does
27-01-17, 07:37
Have you considered not using AutoResolution at all, fixing the output of your box to match the resolution of TV set to which it is connected and letting the box scale to that resolution?
LOL.... That's the Ostrich policy :)
Of course that's an option, but the idea of the AR-plugin is to let the box's output resolution to match the resolution of the source. Or in other words: to make the TV do all the scaling or the STB.
We do have a mini version of AR built in ViX, but the AR-plugin is meant for people who want to have all possible options.
I'll upload a short recording from a German 720p service to our FTP-server.

DaMacFunkin
27-01-17, 08:30
So what happens when you change the 720p refresh rate from multi to 50hz?

Nitemare
27-01-17, 10:53
LOL.... That's the Ostrich policy :)
Of course that's an option, but the idea of the AR-plugin is to let the box's output resolution to match the resolution of the source. Or in other words: to make the TV do all the scaling or the STB.
We do have a mini version of AR built in ViX, but the AR-plugin is meant for people who want to have all possible options.
I'll upload a short recording from a German 720p service to our FTP-server.

EXACTLY ... AR is meant to give you more choices!!!

Like i said the VTi version of their AR works perfectly?? I'm putting it down to the UHD Modes theirs has and AR VIX/OBH doesn't??

birdman
27-01-17, 14:31
EXACTLY ... AR is meant to give you more choices!!!But it also means that you arrive at the situation where the box is scaling to one resolution, then your TV is scaling from that to its native resolution (which it will always have to do unless you send it a signal that is its native resolution - it only has one screen geometry).

DaMacFunkin
27-01-17, 14:39
But it also means that you arrive at the situation where the box is scaling to one resolution, then your TV is scaling from that to its native resolution (which it will always have to do unless you send it a signal that is its native resolution - it only has one screen geometry).

I agree, scaling twice is really defeating the object and should be avoided.
The scaling in the Ultimo4K is pretty good i think.

birdman
27-01-17, 14:39
LOL.... That's the Ostrich policy :)I was just promoting what I do. I let the box do all of the scaling, and it always outputs 1080p (or 1080i) to my TV. A setup that is simple and works.

but the AR-plugin is meant for people who want to have all possible options.Both possible options! Either the TV or the box does the scaling. Although I have a suspicion (from reading the code) that using the AR plugin means that there will be situations where both the TV and the box will be doing something, which isn't ideal.

I'll upload a short recording from a German 720p service to our FTP-server.Thanks.

Nitemare
27-01-17, 14:54
This can all be fixed to work by adding UHD (2160p) Interlace & Progressive to available Modes in AR ...

The problem at moment is that VIX/OBH only has an HD Progessive Mode ... so any HD mode not covered by HD Interlace will default to the 2160p I have in the AV Settings Menu ...

Yes ... I could have set my AV Settings to 1080p but then whats the point in me changing to the 4K VU+ box then or having a 4K TV??

So What if it involves scaling twice if in the end I get the picture to show on my TV with correct resolution?

I'm not as talented as others on here, (coding wise), but would it be possible to look at the VTi version and see if the VIX/OBH AR could be adapted to be similar to it as it works perfectly?? Obviously it would involve contacting the author of VTi version to avoid any plagiarism issues??

birdman
27-01-17, 14:58
Yes ... I could have set my AV Settings to 1080p but then whats the point in me changing to the 4K VU+ box then or having a 4K TV??I actually meant that you set the output of your box to the highest shared resolution of the box + TV. You'll notice I mentioned 1080i and 1080p - that's because whereas my TV can handle both, one of my boxes can only do 1080i, not 1080p. So on that box I set it to that, while on the other I set it to 1080p.

So with a 4k box and 4k TV I'd set the output to 4k.

Andy_Hazza
27-01-17, 14:59
Out of curiosity Is the PLi AR a plugin or built in feature?

birdman
27-01-17, 15:00
This can all be fixed to work by adding UHD (2160p) Interlace & Progressive to available Modes in AR ...
Possibly true. But "available_modes" is actually something it reads from the box itself, so I need to look through the code to see why such an option needs to be added, rather than just appearing.

birdman
27-01-17, 15:01
Out of curiosity Is the PLi AR a plugin or built in feature?Plugin. Rob's sent me a link to it.

Nitemare
27-01-17, 15:05
I actually meant that you set the output of your box to the highest shared resolution of the box + TV. You'll notice I mentioned 1080i and 1080p - that's because whereas my TV can handle both, one of my boxes can only do 1080i, not 1080p. So on that box I set it to that, while on the other I set it to 1080p.

So with a 4k box and 4k TV I'd set the output to 4k.

Yes that's what I'm doing 2160p for my 4K TV ...

However, currently AR down scales to allow my 1080p TV's to receive signals without having to change AV settings manually to 1080p ... this is fine for all signals/channels whether HD or SD but obviously NOT for the 1280*720/50p broadcasts! As I've said the VTi AR IS able to do so ... and then I don't have to do any manual changing of AV settings etc. which is of course how I'd like VIX AR to be ...

Thanks again for everyone's interest and suggestions so far in this subject ... :thumbsup:

birdman
27-01-17, 15:11
However, currently AR down scales to allow my 1080p TV's to receive signals without having to change AV settings manually to 1080p ... this is fine for all signals/channels whether HD or SD but obviously NOT for the 1280*720/50p broadcasts! So you have multiple TVs connected to the same box?

Nitemare
27-01-17, 15:20
So you have multiple TVs connected to the same box?

EXACTLY!!!

1 * 4K 2160p Max Resolution

2* HD 1080p Max Resolution

I'm sure I'm NOT the only one??

birdman
27-01-17, 15:24
EXACTLY!!!Well, that's worth me adding a comment in the code as to why the plugin is useful.

Just out of interest, how are you connecting multiple TVs to one HDMI socket?

Nitemare
27-01-17, 15:32
Well, that's worth me adding a comment in the code as to why the plugin is useful.

:thumbsup:

My VU+ Box is connected to a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-A2010) .. i then use an HDMI splitter box (Neet Cables) to feed each screen ... all works perfectly ...

maxben
27-01-17, 15:34
EXACTLY!!!

1 * 4K 2160p Max Resolution

2* HD 1080p Max Resolution

I'm sure I'm NOT the only one??

No you're not the only one, I actually bought the HDfury Linker which down scales everything from my Solo 4k 2160 to 1080 to feed my office TV but it's an expensive solution. :eek:

ccs
27-01-17, 15:36
My VU+ Box is connected to a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-A2010) .. i then use an HDMI splitter box (Neet Cables) to feed each screen ... all works perfectly ....... so you're using the 3 input ports as output ports on the neet switch?

birdman
27-01-17, 15:51
I'll upload a short recording from a German 720p service to our FTP-server.I've taken a copy.
Interestingly mplayer can't play the video (just the audio) but vlc can do both. A pity - I was hoping the mplayer output would tell me something about the video...

Andy_Hazza
27-01-17, 15:52
Plugin. Rob's sent me a link to it.

Ah cool. [emoji4]

Nitemare
27-01-17, 16:12
.... so you're using the 3 input ports as output ports on the neet switch?

Actually here is my HDMI set-up

One of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002EACW82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 takes the HDMI from Ultimo 4K direct to my 4K TV and I also connect one output to my AV amp ...

as my Amp is not 4K comaptible the feed to the amp from above splitter is to provide VU+ 1080p to all other screens and this is done via another HDMI splitter but not a 4K version ... A NEW 4K amp such as RX-A3060 would do away with the second splitter ...

In short HDMI 4K out from box goes direct to 4K TV and all others fed via my amp at 1080p

Everything works fine EXCEPT for the AR issue with VIX/OBH AR ... (the VTi AR has no such issues)

ccs
27-01-17, 16:24
... ah, I've not noticed the 1 in 4 out versions before.

Nitemare
27-01-17, 16:26
... ah, I've not noticed the 1 in 4 out versions before.

Yes its a great little versitile bit of kit ... ESPECIALLY as Ultimo 4K has only 1 HDMI output ... :(

Rob van der Does
27-01-17, 17:00
I agree, scaling twice is really defeating the object and should be avoided.
Scaling twice is what should be prevented at all times. That's why I was interested to get the German 720p50 broadcast to output exactly that via the AR-plugin. But atm I found no way to do that.

The scaling in the Ultimo4K is pretty good i think.
I think all broadcom SoC's are pretty good in scaling. Better than many low and mid range TV's.

And in my case the amplifier has 2 HDMI-outputs; one goes to a 4K-TV, the other to an FHD-TV.
But on the bright side: setting the output of the STB to 1080p solves most (possible) issue: that's the native resolution of one TV and upscaling from 1080p to 2160p for the other TV is lossless.

Nevertheless: SD (e.g. TV & DVD) is notorious for upscaling multiple times.

Nitemare
27-01-17, 17:24
Scaling twice is what should be prevented at all times. That's why I was interested to get the German 720p50 broadcast to output exactly that via the AR-plugin. But atm I found no way to do that.

I think all broadcom SoC's are pretty good in scaling. Better than many low and mid range TV's.

And in my case the amplifier has 2 HDMI-outputs; one goes to a 4K-TV, the other to an FHD-TV.
But on the bright side: setting the output of the STB to 1080p solves most (possible) issue: that's the native resolution of one TV and upscaling from 1080p to 2160p for the other TV is lossless.

Nevertheless: SD (e.g. TV & DVD) is notorious for upscaling multiple times.

Rob,
Is it possible to add UHD Interlace and Progressive modes to the VIX AR? I believe this will solve the issue?

Rob van der Does
27-01-17, 17:32
Rob,
Is it possible to add UHD Interlace and Progressive modes to the VIX AR? I believe this will solve the issue?
I'll leave this to our in-house expert AKA Birdman to answer :D

Nitemare
27-01-17, 17:39
I'll leave this to our in-house expert AKA Birdman to answer :D

Hahahaha ... that's NOT fair on poor Birdman!!!! :D

I found the authors name of the VTi AR plugin who seems to have fixed theirs? I'm sure others on here know of him/her via a German VU Forum??

This was listed on a post within that Forum ... With 720p transmitters, the box then needs to interlace from a progressive signal and the TV then deinterlace again

birdman
27-01-17, 19:14
In short HDMI 4K out from box goes direct to 4K TV and all others fed via my amp at 1080pStill something I need to understand here.
Can you watch a 4k programme on the 4k TV while watching the same programme (from the same source) on one of the non-4k screens.
i.e. does that amp (or something in it) do conversion, or do you rely solely on the Vix box?

If the latter, then it needs to know what the current output resolution is and I can't see how the code would currently do that.

(the VTi AR has no such issues)It doesn't have this one, but given that the plugin is called Auto Resolution I can't see why you have to configure anything.

birdman
27-01-17, 19:18
If the latter, then it needs to know what the current output resolution is and I can't see how the code would currently do that.Related to this.

Can you please login to the box while it is displaying to the 4k TV, run:

cat /proc/stb/video/videomode_choices
cat /proc/stb/video/videomode_preferred
then repeat this with the output going to a non-4k TV and post both results here,.

Nitemare
27-01-17, 19:49
Still something I need to understand here.
Can you watch a 4k programme on the 4k TV while watching the same programme (from the same source) on one of the non-4k screens.
i.e. does that amp (or something in it) do conversion, or do you rely solely on the Vix box?

If the latter, then it needs to know what the current output resolution is and I can't see how the code would currently do that.
It doesn't have this one, but given that the plugin is called Auto Resolution I can't see why you have to configure anything.
I can only see 4K on 4K TV when A/V setting is 2160 ... on HD TVs it's black screen but I can live with that as not many 4K on at mo.
I know if I set A/V to 1080 then ALL TVs will display at 1080 .. but that's like my Duo2 that I've replaced ...

Nitemare
27-01-17, 19:50
Related to this.

Can you please login to the box while it is displaying to the 4k TV, run:

cat /proc/stb/video/videomode_choices
cat /proc/stb/video/videomode_preferred
then repeat this with the output going to a non-4k TV and post both results here,.

Not sure how I do this ... advise in dope text and I'll certainly try .. lol

birdman
27-01-17, 20:38
I can only see 4K on 4K TV when A/V setting is 2160 ... on HD TVs it's black screen but I can live with that as not many 4K on at mo.OK - but I'd still be interested in the output from those files...

Nitemare
27-01-17, 20:49
Explain how to run those code lines and I'll do that for you.

birdman
27-01-17, 20:53
Explain how to run those code lines and I'll do that for you.You telnet into the box and run those two lines on the command line.

Mind you, I'm assuming that that you can only see the output on one TV at a time (for a 1080p signal). If you can actually see a picture on all of them at the same time it won't be of any relevance..

Nitemare
27-01-17, 21:04
Yes if box set to 1080 then I can see pic on all sets. If 2160 then only on 4K TV in 4K and black screen 1080 TVS.

birdman
27-01-17, 21:17
Yes if box set to 1080 then I can see pic on all sets..At the same time? Or do you have to switch between them?

Nitemare
27-01-17, 21:23
Yes ... all have 1080 capability .. obviously only 4K one can view 2160 in full resolution.

birdman
27-01-17, 21:39
Still missing the point of the question.

If the box is outputting a 1080p signal, can you actually see this on more than one set at the same time, or do you have an HDMI switch somewhere that you have to use to direct it to one specific TV such that this is the only one with a picture?

Nitemare
27-01-17, 21:50
I can see pic on ALL TVS athe same time when in 1080 mode ... I do not need to do anything as the HDMI splitter carries signal automatically.
I believe if we could add UHD modes of interlace and progressive to AR we would solve the issue ...

birdman
27-01-17, 22:01
I can see pic on ALL TVS athe same time when in 1080 mode ... I do not need to do anything as the HDMI splitter carries signal automatically.Thanks. Then there's no need to post the contents of thos efiles as they can't be reflecting the resolution capabilities of the currently attached TV (given that you have multiple, different ones).

I believe if we could add UHD modes of interlace and progressive to AR we would solve the issue ...Yes, that keeps being said, but it just sounds so very wrong.

The problem arises on a 720p videostream. You should be wanting this to output as 720p, which has got absolutely nothing at all to do with UHD modes. Just because some other code produce a picture doesn't mean that this is happening for the right reason.

Nitemare
27-01-17, 22:12
Okay .. no problem. Currently I've set box av to 1080 and it clears all resolutions at that scale ... like my previous Duo 2 until a solution for the 1280 mode.
All I know at present is when I use the VTI 11.11.o image then it all works fine .. even when box default is set at 2160? I still believe it's due to the extra UHD modes I mentioned previously?
Thanks for your help on this ... :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
27-01-17, 22:41
The problem arises on a 720p videostream. You should be wanting this to output as 720p,
Correct .

Nitemare
27-01-17, 22:48
Yes that would help ... thanks.

birdman
28-01-17, 01:32
Correct .Good.
So I can ignore 2160p as a solution to this issue (which also means that I can test ones I come up with).
But not ignore enabling 2160p as an option.

birdman
31-01-17, 02:53
Hi,
Looking at this Autoresolution again ...

Is it possible to add a mode for 1280*720 broadcasts to the plugin? (i.e. for German ARD channels etc.) They broadcast in this standard and with there being no mode available to set as 1080P in the plugin my TV defaults to the 2160P default in the AV settings menu.That's not what is happening.
The code can handle 1280x720. What is causing it grief is the 50Hz frame rate - the code only knows about 24 and (possibly) 25 for 720p.
I can add handling for 720p50 and map it to 720p. This worked for me. (I think I added 2160p handling too, but I can't test that).

Here's a modified version: 52376
You need to unzip this, place the resulting plugin.py file in the /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoResolution directory and restart the GUI.
You might also want to take a copy of the plugin.pyo file in that directory first...so you can switch back easily if necessary.

However, I reckon this plug-in needs a complete re-think.
It should:

Pass on all resolution/frame-rates unchanged if that output exists.
If the resolution/frame-rate does not exist it should adjust them to ones that do.
Allow the user to specify what the maximum should be (to allow a user with a 2160p box to connect it to a 1080p TV -= as the sole output).
Allow the user to disable certain output combinations (an extension of the previous item).

Nitemare
31-01-17, 19:21
That's not what is happening.
The code can handle 1280x720. What is causing it grief is the 50Hz frame rate - the code only knows about 24 and (possibly) 25 for 720p.
I can add handling for 720p50 and map it to 720p. This worked for me. (I think I added 2160p handling too, but I can't test that).

Here's a modified version: 52376
You need to unzip this, place the resulting plugin.py file in the /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoResolution directory and restart the GUI.
You might also want to take a copy of the plugin.pyo file in that directory first...so you can switch back easily if necessary.

However, I reckon this plug-in needs a complete re-think.
It should:

Pass on all resolution/frame-rates unchanged if that output exists.
If the resolution/frame-rate does not exist it should adjust them to ones that do.
Allow the user to specify what the maximum should be (to allow a user with a 2160p box to connect it to a 1080p TV -= as the sole output).
Allow the user to disable certain output combinations (an extension of the previous item).

Hi Birdman,
I'm afraid I cant get this to work?? I followed your instructions but after GUI restart the AutoResolution is GONE!!?? When I enter the Plugins Menu I'm met with the following message ... Some Plugins are not available: SystemPlugins/Autoresolution ('tuple' object has no attribute 'extend')

Sorry for hassle but I'm anxious to try your modifications!!

I TOTALLY agree with you that this plugin needs a re-think ... all the comments you make are very valid especially as I and many others probably now have a mix of screen resolutions with 4K and 1080P TV's ...

birdman
31-01-17, 19:51
Hi Birdman,
I'm afraid I cant get this to work?? I followed your instructions but after GUI restart the AutoResolution is GONE!!?? When I enter the Plugins Menu I'm met with the following message ... Some Plugins are not available: SystemPlugins/Autoresolution ('tuple' object has no attribute 'extend')Ah - that's is some 2160p code....I'll see what I can do.

Nitemare
31-01-17, 19:55
Cheers Birdman ... :)

birdman
31-01-17, 20:39
This should(?) fix that problem.
The OpenPLi code had changed a tuple to an array so that it could be optionally extended. (I've just left it as a tuple and appended to it.)

Nitemare
31-01-17, 21:02
This should(?) fix that problem.
The OpenPLi code had changed a tuple to an array so that it could be optionally extended. (I've just left it as a tuple and appended to it.)

HOORAH BIRDMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKS .... :thumbsup:

Thanks so very much ... my TV's auto change resolution as I hoped ... from 1080P on all SD/HD channels (including the 720P German HD Channels I'd mentioned way back) to 2160P on the UHD/4K channels ...!!

My AR settings are as follows if anyone else wishes to adapt the VIX/OBH AR thanks to Birdman ...

I've literally all my modes set to 1080P (max of my non 4K Panasonic TV's) EXCEPT for the NEW additional modes of UHD Interlace and UHD Progressive which are set to "default" for my 4K TV (i.e. 2160P in the AV Settings Menu)

Brilliant work Birdman .. very much appreciated ... I believe the AR plugin should be amended in the VIX/OBH GIT builds accordingly to adopt the new py file ... 0.29 onwards???

Thanks ... :D

birdman
01-02-17, 03:25
Brilliant work Birdman .. very much appreciated ... I believe the AR plugin should be amended in the VIX/OBH GIT builds accordingly to adopt the new py file ... 0.29 onwards???I've submitted a pull request.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/157

Rob van der Does
01-02-17, 09:39
I tested the file in the pull request, and it does indeed add the 720p option. Good.
But at the same time a lot of SD options have been lost, and that's not good. They had been added to the OE-A version (but IIRC not to the PLi version) to be able to playback SD 24/25/30 files (that will often be DVD-files) with the correct framerate. So that's not good.

birdman
01-02-17, 13:21
But at the same time a lot of SD options have been lost, and that's not good. I though I was only adding things, but I think I can see what has happened.

birdman
01-02-17, 13:40
I though I was only adding things, but I think I can see what has happened.Well, I thought I could, however....

I can still see the SD options in the menu. When you say "a lot of the SD options have been lost" do you mean that, say, 1080p25 no longer shows up as a option in the choices for an SD signal?

Nitemare
01-02-17, 21:16
Well, I thought I could, however....

I can still see the SD options in the menu. When you say "a lot of the SD options have been lost" do you mean that, say, 1080p25 no longer shows up as a option in the choices for an SD signal?

Hi Birdman,
All I can say is that I'm very pleased with the situation I have now ... I take it then from comments made that having just 1080p as an option for SD channels isn't sufficient in that 1080p25 etc. is required too by users??

I agree whole heartily that the WHOLE AR plugin probably needs a total rebuild to meet all resolutions and possible TV/video playback combinations now available (i.e. 4K/HD etc ...?)

Once again thanks for work done so far ... its fixed my issue and going forward perhaps future enhancements can be made to make the AR more seamless within images???

:thumbsup:

birdman
01-02-17, 22:04
I take it then from comments made that having just 1080p as an option for SD channels isn't sufficient in that 1080p25 etc. is required too by users??I'm waiting for Rob to confirm that's what he means. I think that's a simple fix. Anything else would be a mystery (at the moment).

Nitemare
01-02-17, 22:07
Cheers .. I'll watch what happens with interest ...

Thanks ..

Rob van der Does
03-02-17, 10:59
Well, I thought I could, however....

Yes: it's no longer possible to choose dedicated 24/25/30 outputs for SD (meant to match source & output).

birdman
03-02-17, 15:05
I've added back the options (the section of code replaced omitted them, though they were still being set up).

Here's a pull request for that:

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/158

Nitemare
03-02-17, 15:05
Yes: it's no longer possible to choose dedicated 24/25/30 outputs for SD (meant to match source & output).

This gives more WEIGHT to a total rebuild/rethink of the AR plugin .. indeed if it were possible I think it would be advantageous if it wasn't just a "plugin" but actually part of the AV Settings Menu but i guess not all users would appreciate that???

Just my 2p's worth ... lol

Sorry I'm NOT talented enough to help with coding etc. (very envious of you guys that can) :thumbsup:

@Birdman ... that "NEW" py file you just uploaded works fine too and YES 1080p modes that Rob requested for SD are all back too ... Cheers

Rob van der Does
03-02-17, 15:18
I've added back the options (the section of code replaced omitted them, though they were still being set up).

Here's a pull request for that:

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/158
Glad to see that you continued working on it :)

Just tested that, which leads to the following questions:
1- There is no SD 24fps option. Not sure if it was there before (or that we need it at all)?
2- For 720p50 there is no option 720p50 (although for 720p24 there is 720p24). One can however set it to 720p, and in a later line the rehresh rate of 720p can be set to multi. Not sure if this is consistent behaviour?

This gives more WEIGHT to a total rebuild/rethink of the AR plugin .. indeed if it were possible I think it would be advantageous if it wasn't just a "plugin" but actually part of the AV Settings Menu but i guess not all users would appreciate that???
Not sure; the embedded AR-functionality is meant for the most commonly used settings. Those who want more just install the plugin.

birdman
03-02-17, 15:18
This gives more WEIGHT to a total rebuild/rethink of the AR plugin .. indeed if it were possible I think it would be advantageous if it wasn't just a "plugin" but actually part of the AV Settings Menu but i guess not all users would appreciate that???A simpler version already is in there.
Personally I find it much simpler just to set the output of the box to be the "best" resolution that my TV can handle and let the box do any scaling. And I would expect that to be the simplest method for everyone except those who have multiple TVs with differing capabilities connected to the same box, so I'm always surprised to see everyone recommending turning on Automatic resolution.
One other advantage, to me, of forcing the box to switch everything to 1080i/p is that this means my TV will always be receiving one resolution. It uses overscan by default, and I have to configure it to turn this of for each individual resolution (and on each individual port, IIRC).

Nitemare
03-02-17, 15:31
A simpler version already is in there.
Personally I find it much simpler just to set the output of the box to be the "best" resolution that my TV can handle and let the box do any scaling. And I would expect that to be the simplest method for everyone except those who have multiple TVs with differing capabilities connected to the same box, so I'm always surprised to see everyone recommending turning on Automatic resolution.
One other advantage, to me, of forcing the box to switch everything to 1080i/p is that this means my TV will always be receiving one resolution. It uses overscan by default, and I have to configure it to turn this of for each individual resolution (and on each individual port, IIRC).

Yes my TV's do my switching too ... I'm just pleased that my 4K TV can display 4K signals and then when I change to SD/HD signals on VU+ box the TV re-scales to 1080p automatically ...

@Rob ... yes its obviously more user friendly to have a "basic" AR in AV Settings ... the only issue I have with plugins is that they sometimes get "left behind" as images improve/develop ... obviously more popular plugins are maintained to adapt to image upgrades etc

... the case of AR is case of such a plugin needing work hence this Thread I guess!!

Obviously some plugins are usually a 3rd party creation and I'm sure you image creators have to work/adapt with others to adopt them into your operating image??

birdman
03-02-17, 15:37
Just tested that, which leads to the following questions:
1- There is no SD 24fps option. Not sure if it was there before (or that we need it at all)?
Well, I've not changed anything in that area.
The only thing I can think of that used 24fps signals was a DVD, which was always(?) 720p?

2- For 720p50 there is no option 720p50 (although for 720p24 there is 720p24). One can however set it to 720p, and in a later line the rehresh rate of 720p can be set to multi. Not sure if this is consistent behaviour?No it isn't. Or it wasn't, so I've changed it.

(It also meant that "720p" showed up twice in the list...)

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/pull/159

Not sure; the embedded AR-functionality is meant for the most commonly used settings. Those who want more just install the plugin.Which is what I find odd, since turning it off completely is by far the simplest thing to do and so should be the most commonly used setting - IMHO.

Rob van der Does
03-02-17, 15:44
Thanks Birdman, see

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/commit/cbbe3e5fd033a9ea132894e311fcfdd7fc272d35

Plugins have all sorts of lay-outs, issues with multiple images and are sometimes 'closed source'. We can often work-around issues, but not always.

Rob van der Does
03-02-17, 15:46
Which is what I find odd, since turning it off completely is by far the simplest thing to do and so should be the most commonly used setting - IMHO.
It is :)
1 = no AR
2 = use embedded AR
3 = use AR plugin

Nitemare
03-02-17, 15:56
Thanks Birdman, see

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/commit/cbbe3e5fd033a9ea132894e311fcfdd7fc272d35

oooh excellent ...!! :)

Plugins have all sorts of lay-outs, issues with multiple images and are sometimes 'closed source'. We can often work-around issues, but not always.

Understood ... :)