PDA

View Full Version : USB stick as a hard drive.

garryboy
08-01-17, 23:47
Was looking at purchasing the vu uno 4k to replace my duo. Il move the duo to my bedroom.

I don't record much and my 500gb is less than 1/4 full in my duo.

Is a USB stick say for instance a 128gb a suitable replacement for a hard disk.

If so does it need to be any specific spec/speed to work properly.

Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
09-01-17, 04:45
Only thing I would say is, get a good branded one like Kingston, SanDisk, HP etc, not a generic one off fleBay etc.

garryboy
09-01-17, 09:38
Thanks Andy.

abu baniaz
09-01-17, 09:48
if the duo is going to be networked, you can also mount the HDD on the new receiver.

garryboy
09-01-17, 10:45
I have a MD xp1000 in my Daighters room that's network linked to the duo at the moment.

Would mean I would have to switch the duo switched on when I was recording anything.

It's an option though.

maller
09-01-17, 15:02
any usb should work if it is formatted to fat 32 i watch films from my usb with no problems

garryboy
09-01-17, 15:58
Any limit on the size of USB stick that can be used?

Trial
09-01-17, 16:12
Hi,
usb flash drives are not really build for a lot of writing as they normally have no real wear leveling as SSDs do. I also would mount the drive of the other receiver. btw. fat32 has a limit of 4GB which might be to less for a longer HD recording.

ciao

garryboy
09-01-17, 16:44
Hi,
usb flash drives are not really build for a lot of writing as they normally have no real wear leveling as SSDs do. I also would mount the drive of the other receiver. btw. fat32 has a limit of 4GB which might be to less for a longer HD recording.

ciao

Thanks. That's info I'm looking for.

Think might be better with a USB Hard disk.

Now do they require there own power or can the USB port power them?

abu baniaz
09-01-17, 16:49
Best to use a powered one.

garryboy
09-01-17, 16:50
Thanks Abu

garryboy
09-01-17, 16:52
Can the network attached drive be accessed when the receiver that has the drive is in deep standby?

abu baniaz
09-01-17, 17:24
Can the network attached drive be accessed when the receiver that has the drive is in deep standby?

No, unless the server has Wake On Lan capability. I don't think the Duo has WOL. If this is wrong, hopefully someone will confirm.

garryboy
09-01-17, 20:46
Thanks again abu

Huevos
09-01-17, 22:18
I've got a USB flash drive attached to each of my test boxes. Used for debug logs and test recordings. Not ideal but I've never had one fail yet.

birdman
09-01-17, 23:46
No, unless the server has Wake On Lan capability.Even Wake on LAN just means there is a way to wake it up. It doesn't mean that it will wake up if you try to access it, you need to send a specific network packet.