View Full Version : Sony KD55XD9305 TV + Sony HT-RT5 SB Onscreen display

s2tephen
08-01-17, 13:38
Hi
Using the above
Using HDMI leads capable of passing full 4K
Using HDMI 1 input on soundbar
Using ARC output from soundbar to ARC input on TV

Plug in device capable of output up to 1080 into HDMI 1 Input on SB I get the volume setting onscreen on the TV.
Plug in 4K device into same NO volume onscreen setting on the TV. (Have tried several 4k devices.)

Anyone any ideas.

Thanks

DaMacFunkin
08-01-17, 14:13
No biggy, my Denon although being fully 4K hdcp2.2 compliant does not have a 4K overlay so basic volume settings etc will not be displayed when passing through 4K content, switch your 4K device to 1080p you will then see your volume.
Crazy i know.

s2tephen
08-01-17, 14:17
No biggy, my Denon although being fully 4K hdcp2.2 compliant does not have a 4K overlay so basic volume settings etc will not be displayed when passing through 4K content, switch your 4K device to 1080p you will then see your volume.
Crazy i know.

Will give it a try.
Thanks

birdman
08-01-17, 16:08
Plug in device capable of output up to 1080 into HDMI 1 Input on SB I get the volume setting onscreen on the TV.
Plug in 4K device into same NO volume onscreen setting on the TV. (Have tried several 4k devices.) The second device will be querying where the sound device is and will be told it is logical device 5 (sound output) rather then device 1 (the TV). So it will be sending volume commands to device 5 and hence the TV never sees them.

A device that doesn't query where the sound is will just send to commands to device 1 (the TV) so the TV reports them- and it then changes the volume (by sending the commands to device 5). The end result should be the same (the volume on the sound bar changes) but the TV will report the latter and not the former.

s2tephen
08-01-17, 16:42
Thanks for the info.
Yes the info is on the soundbar but the wife cannot see it, she only looks at the TV.

birdman
08-01-17, 18:01
Thanks for the info.
Yes the info is on the soundbar but the wife cannot see it, she only looks at the TV.If she closed her eyes the two cases would become equivalent.