PDA

View Full Version : Internal Hardrive Potentially dead?

champs4life
06-01-17, 02:32
Hi

All of a sudden I can't timeshift or record. Meet write data error message.

Tried intialising but no luck as when I try to record it now says no HDD found.

Please Please anyone help me. Is my Hardrive finished?

I got this ONLY 3 months ago brand new and it's dead?

I am devastated as the hard earned money I spent has gone down the gutter.

Andy_Hazza
06-01-17, 07:28
I would investigate further and maybe get the HDD tested and if deemed faulty, you are still under warranty so a replacement will/should be issued under consumer law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
06-01-17, 07:50
You can run some tests while the HDD is in your STB:

In telnet do

- df
to find the device.

Next do

- hdparm -t -T /dev/sda1
(for sda1 use the just found correct value). Yjis is a readonly test

Next you can run fsck. This is only possible when the device/partition isn't mounted. This should work:

- stop enigma using 'init 4'
- cd to /
- umount /dev/sda1
- fuser -k -m /hdd
- e2fsck -f -v /dev/sda1

When done a reboot is the easiest way to restore everything.

With telnet

- fuser -m /hdd
you find the pids (process id's) that still have open files on /HDD.
You should kill them.

champs4life
06-01-17, 19:22
I would investigate further and maybe get the HDD tested and if deemed faulty, you are still under warranty so a replacement will/should be issued under consumer law.

But does consumer law protect buying the product through private sellers on ebay.

The HDD is about 4 months old I think yet it could be dead but the seller never told me the HDD has warranty.

I doubt you will have standard warranty on products without being told about it.

champs4life
06-01-17, 19:24
You can run some tests while the HDD is in your STB:

In telnet do

- df
to find the device.

Next do

- hdparm -t -T /dev/sda1
(for sda1 use the just found correct value). Yjis is a readonly test

Next you can run fsck. This is only possible when the device/partition isn't mounted. This should work:

- stop enigma using 'init 4'
- cd to /
- umount /dev/sda1
- fuser -k -m /hdd
- e2fsck -f -v /dev/sda1

When done a reboot is the easiest way to restore everything.

With telnet

- fuser -m /hdd
you find the pids (process id's) that still have open files on /HDD.
You should kill them.

Rob I have no idea about telnet or what you have said unfortunately.

It is way out of my depth and really next level for someone of my capability.

ronand
06-01-17, 20:04
If its a private seller then there is no warranty unless he gave you one. You need to learn to use a telnet client such as putty or else bring the receiver to someone who knows more.

champs4life
06-01-17, 20:56
I figured there was no warranty so I am out of pocket with a dead HDD and nothing I can do.

Its not that simple.

You say I should learn to use telnet/telnet client but for someone like me who struggle to understand grasp anything technical/advanced its not possible. Also what is the purpose of telnet?

I dont know anyone who can look at my receiver.

cactikid
06-01-17, 22:27
i lost my internal hdd on my xtrend et 10000 and came back with a full reboot of box,rechecked mounts and it was back there.

champs4life
06-01-17, 22:51
But will reflashing the box bring HDD back if it is dead?

Have no idea what to do.

ccs
06-01-17, 22:54
...I think he was suggesting powering off the box and rebooting.

Put the box in deep standby, switch off at the mains for 5 minutes, and then switch back on.

cactikid
06-01-17, 23:45
you could do that but used remote to reboot box,and on that rebooting issue no sound on box and anything tried not worked but a reboot from menu and sound back:D

champs4life
07-01-17, 01:35
Ye after putting in deep standby and turning off from main and turning back on HDD still doesn't show.

I highly doubt taking HDD out and connecting to PC to see if it recognizes it will help as looks truly like it's dead.

I think this has put me in the boat never to buy another HDD again. 2 dying in less than a year is beyond depressing.

ccs
07-01-17, 11:24
you could do that but used remote to reboot box,and on that rebooting issue no sound on box and anything tried not worked but a reboot from menu and sound back:D
What's that got to do with the OPs hd problem?

champs4life
07-01-17, 12:41
Guys be honest could my box be faulty then?

As with constant crashing, second HDD to die surely the box is faulty right?

Could there no be enough power going to HDD cause it to die?

I am stressing so much as cant figure out what has caused it to die?

I have loads of HDDs in devices and for other uses but not one has EVER died.

But two have in my receiver?

Plus having no way to get replacement as not under warranty.

So down. £40 in the bin. Imagine the struggle of losing that money when you are barely making enough.

cactikid
07-01-17, 13:24
What's that got to do with the OPs hd problem?
did first post not state he lost his hdd?
i was lucky and a reboot now sees the hdd.

ccs
07-01-17, 13:27
did first post not state he lost his hdd?
i was lucky and a reboot now sees the hdd."No sound" and "sound back" suggested to me you were referring to an audio problem, which can be resolved by rebooting.

champs4life
07-01-17, 20:59
So no solutions then?

Have to accept its dead and not knowing reasons how it happened or if box is faulty?

ccs
07-01-17, 21:01
Who fitted the drive when you bought the last replacement?

champs4life
07-01-17, 21:35
I had a family member fit it for me as I was scared and worried that I could end up destroying it, not that it makes any difference now.

It was mounted fine in the caddy. Only thing the screws were not in it as I didnt have the correct ones.

Surely it didnt die because of not having screws in it?

I can only think of the freezing issues with made me switch the box off and on on alot of occasions is the result of how both HDDs have died as I have no other explanation.

cactikid
07-01-17, 21:38
question now is if removing hdd from box will it still crash?

ccs
07-01-17, 21:50
I had a family member fit it for me as I was scared and worried that I could end up destroying it, not that it makes any difference now.

It was mounted fine in the caddy. Only thing the screws were not in it as I didnt have the correct ones.

Surely it didnt die because of not having screws in it?

I can only think of the freezing issues with made me switch the box off and on on alot of occasions is the result of how both HDDs have died as I have no other explanation.Not mounting the drive securely with the correct screws won't have helped, and powering off lots of times isn't a good idea either.
However, if the drive was not secured properly, it might be that the sata cable has worked loose over time, and just needs re-seating.
You really need to get someone who understands what they're doing to take a look at the box.

champs4life
07-01-17, 22:08
Would the HDD still have moved even though it had not screws to tighten it? I am sure it was mounted properly.

Powering off I know wasnt a good idea but had no other option with box crashing frequently.

I still believe the HDD is done for, cant see how its not finished. I also believe the box is screwed as well. With the amount of problems it is not normal for any box. Its just my luck.

Unfortunately I dont know anyone who could look into this issue. Me I am utterly useless and thick when its comes to anything advanced/technical.

ccs
07-01-17, 22:11
Try giving WOS a ring and see what they say.

Andy_Hazza
07-01-17, 22:12
You need to produce Debug Logs Champs if you are having issues with your receiver. Its all speculation about is the box faulty, hdd dead or faulty, you seriously need to create a new post and upload logs with your issues, its the only way you will get to the root cause of your issues.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 05:48
And the only way to be sure about the status of the HDD is to carry out the simple procedure I posted earlier.

Anyway: even without any technical skills opening the box and check if the connector on the HDD and also on the mainboard are fitted securely shouldn't be a problem.

Question: you mentioned 'powering off' the box; how do you do that? If you just pull the plug without going to deep sleep via the menu this could certainly explain HDD getting faulty over time.

champs4life
08-01-17, 16:00
You need to produce Debug Logs Champs if you are having issues with your receiver. Its all speculation about is the box faulty, hdd dead or faulty, you seriously need to create a new post and upload logs with your issues, its the only way you will get to the root cause of your issues.

But I am trying to figure out whats happened to the HDD, the box crashing hasnt happened for some days so thats not the big issue atm.

I dont even know if the HDD is truly dead or faulty.

I dont know how running debug logs is going to solve the issue if at all with the HDD.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 16:03
Of course activating the debug logs won't solve anything, but they may help to shed some light.

You keep repeating I can't do this and I can't do that; sorry to say, but that won't bring you far.....

champs4life
08-01-17, 16:04
And the only way to be sure about the status of the HDD is to carry out the simple procedure I posted earlier.

Anyway: even without any technical skills opening the box and check if the connector on the HDD and also on the mainboard are fitted securely shouldn't be a problem.

Question: you mentioned 'powering off' the box; how do you do that? If you just pull the plug without going to deep sleep via the menu this could certainly explain HDD getting faulty over time.

No offence Rob but how is that procedure simple and why you forcing me to use that procedure when I have no idea what it is and how to do it?

The connector to the mainboard and connector on the HDD are fitting securely from what I can tell. It seems its secure in the caddy as well.

I just switch from rear switch when box has crashed with ring at the top. There is no other safe way I can turn the box off.

Honestly I doubt the HDD has become loose all of a sudden, it has to be faulty or most likely dead from the times I have turned the box off. There is no other explanation as to why the 2nd HDD has died after such a short period.

champs4life
08-01-17, 16:06
Of course activating the debug logs won't solve anything, but they may help to shed some light.

You keep repeating I can't do this and I can't do that; sorry to say, but that won't bring you far.....

So what do you want me to do then?

Do all the procedures you mentioned without having any idea? Opened the box up and start messing it up even more?

I am not technical in any shape or form.

Whether that makes me stupid/thick not be able to do such things then so be it.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 16:10
First activate the debug logs (and restart the box when done). After seeing faults send ut the log (attach to a post please).

ronand
08-01-17, 16:14
Nobody here owes you anything. You are not able to follow any advice - that's fine too but there's no point posting here as no-one can help you. You will need to take the box to someone who does have a clue. There's nothing new about hard drives dying - it happens. We don't even know how old the driver are. If they are under warranty get them replaced. If not then get over it - no one here is responsible for your problems and have only tried to help. If you tried researching telnet you would be able to do the tests Rob suggested.

champs4life
08-01-17, 16:17
Ronand no need to be rude and aggressive.

If you cant post any constructive dont bother to post simple.

I have done research on telnet and I DONT get it. I cant grasp or understand what its asking me to do.

I dont need to be patronised by you.

Dont understand people biting me head off if I cant do things they ask.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 16:25
No offence Rob but how is that procedure simple and why you forcing me to use that procedure when I have no idea what it is and how to do it?
I'm not 'forcing' you to do anything at all. I only suggested the two things (debug logs and HDD tests) that might be able to shed some light on what exact the issue is.
But even without them I can tell you with 90% certainty that your HDD is faulty and that a box won't cause that.
The only real influence in this area could be the user: cutting the power without shutting down the box via the menu is typically causing this kind of hardware issues.
And of course the HDD itself; every HDD dies one day, can be sooner or can be later.

champs4life
08-01-17, 16:35
If box isnt faulty it shouldnt be crashing frequently nor should 2 HDDs get faulty and die in the box.

I have multiple internal HDDs in laptops, PCs etc and not one has ever caused issues. So clearly something is happening with the box in regards to the HDD.

I cant accept HDDs can die any time. 2 HDDs dying with 9 months both in the receiver. No that is not right and something is seriously wrong not so much with HDDs but the box which has caused both to die.

I am really stressed and really down over all of this and I dont want to get into any arguement with anyone.

So best I just take a break and cool/calm down.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 17:01
If box isnt faulty it shouldnt be crashing frequently....
We still haven't seen any logs. And in 99% of the cases, 'frequent crashes' are related to user errors. And besides: you said this wasn't a real issue, as it didn't happen the last couple of days.

..... nor should 2 HDDs get faulty and die in the box.
I've never ever heard before that a hardware issue causes an HDD to die. They simply die, as I said before.

champs4life
08-01-17, 17:13
We still haven't seen any logs. And in 99% of the cases, 'frequent crashes' are related to user errors. And besides: you said this wasn't a real issue, as it didn't happen the last couple of days.

I've never ever heard before that a hardware issue causes an HDD to die. They simply die, as I said before.

Just because it didnt happen in last few days doesnt mean the crashes have stopped.

Sorry but 2 HDDs just DONT die in less than a year.

Something serious has happened that has caused this to happen.

Like I said I have had HDDs for many years with no issues.

But as soon as I put these two in the receiver they die in no time.

Something is seriously wrong.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 17:16
Logs, logs, logs.....

ccs
08-01-17, 17:18
....I think you've already stated the likely cause of the HDD failures.
I can only think of the freezing issues with made me switch the box off and on on alot of occasions is the result of how both HDDs have died as I have no other explanation.
And I still think installing the disc with 4 fixing screws missing isn't going to help.

champs4life
08-01-17, 17:31
....I think you've already stated the likely cause of the HDD failures.
And I still think installing the disc with 4 fixing screws missing isn't going to help.

But is switching the box of alot and not having screws fitted really kill the HDD?

I have read if there is little or too much power coming to the HDD that could cause the HDD to die.

But again not sure how I would know about the power.

cactikid
08-01-17, 17:33
put it another way your high class car has an issue and you dont have a clue,you bring it to the garage and something is not right but no idea.What will garage do they will run diagnostics on car to see what faults come up to identify what is going on.
As many have said post your logs as that means you dont have to go garage but your fault codes are posted and the data checked to see why boxes have issue,dont give up m8.

abu baniaz
08-01-17, 17:36
Cutting the power to the HDD, by switching off the rocker switch at the back is going to damage the HDD. With no screws attached, the vibrations will be more and more damage will be done to the platters.

Moral of the story, you must "Deep standby" your receiver, not operate the rocker switch at the back.

ccs
08-01-17, 17:39
But is switching the box of alot and not having screws fitted really kill the HDD
Who knows? It's the only information you've provided.
If the cable has worked loose from the hdd, then it won't be dead, just disconnected.

birdman
08-01-17, 17:47
If box isnt faulty it shouldnt be crashing frequently nor should 2 HDDs get faulty and die in the box.It isn't crashing: it's hanging. There is a difference. Enabling debug logs would probably give an indication of why this is happening.

I have multiple internal HDDs in laptops, PCs etc and not one has ever caused issues. So clearly something is happening with the box in regards to the HDD.This is the box that you are frightened to add a disk to?

2 HDDs dying with 9 months both in the receiver.Were these the same model from the same suppler as the multiple ones you had in the laptops and PCs?

[quote]No that is not right and something is seriously wrong not so much with HDDs but the box which has caused both to die.[quote]But they haven't become corrupted, they've disappeared (the box can't find them at all) according to your descriptions. That sounds more like a loose connector.

champs4life
08-01-17, 18:00
Cutting the power to the HDD, by switching off the rocker switch at the back is going to damage the HDD. With no screws attached, the vibrations will be more and more damage will be done to the platters.

Moral of the story, you must "Deep standby" your receiver, not operate the rocker switch at the back.

Abu so no screws attached and box crashing and switching off the back of the receiver has killed the HDD?

Also like I have said numerous times where the ring appears at the top I CANT do anything apart from switch the receiver off at the back. I cant put it in deep standby.

This is all too much and too stressing for me.

Its technical stuff like this that makes me ill.

champs4life
08-01-17, 18:01
Who knows? It's the only information you've provided.
If the cable has worked loose from the hdd, then it won't be dead, just disconnected.

Cable to HDD and to the box inside is fitted tight not loose.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 18:09
This is all too much and too stressing for me.

Its technical stuff like this that makes me ill.
Enigma boxes are for hobbyists. If that's not your cup of tea, you should stick to your providers box.

ronand
Also like I have said numerous times where the ring appears at the top I CANT do anything apart from switch the receiver off at the back. I cant put it in deep standby.

A lot of time the receiver can be shut down/restarted using telnet rather than hitting the power switch. If you cant use telnet then ask for help with it otherwise you will never learn anything.

champs4life
It isn't crashing: it's hanging. There is a difference. Enabling debug logs would probably give an indication of why this is happening.

This is the box that you are frightened to add a disk to?

Were these the same model from the same suppler as the multiple ones you had in the laptops and PCs?

[quote]No that is not right and something is seriously wrong not so much with HDDs but the box which has caused both to die.[quote]But they haven't become corrupted, they've disappeared (the box can't find them at all) according to your descriptions. That sounds more like a loose connector.

So when the ring appears the box hasnt crashed as I cant do anything when that happens?

"frightened" is a very strong and harsh at the same time. I am not comfortable doing such tasks as I know I will screw everything up. I have had someone install all the HDDs for me just like with the receiver.

The two HDDs that died were same brand but different compared to the ones in my other devices.

The first one did actually die as I took it too someone and the first one was not recognisable on the computer at all. So I am sure its the same with the second HDD.

champs4life
08-01-17, 18:11
Enigma boxes are for hobbyists. If that's not your cup of tea, you should stick to your providers box.

So just because I am not a hobbyist who knows everything and can do everything I should just get rid of the receiver?

I take offence to that tbh.

ccs
08-01-17, 18:12
Cable to HDD and to the box inside is fitted tight not loose.So you've opened up the box and checked?

At least that's one less option to consider.

champs4life
08-01-17, 18:14
So you've opened up the box and checked?

At least that's one less option to consider.

I did got a bit of help but there didnt seem anything loose. Removed the cables then put it back in.

When I try to initialise the HDD I get write error and time elapsed errors and then HDD just cant be seen again.

birdman
08-01-17, 18:16
Also like I have said numerous times where the ring appears at the top I CANT do anything apart from switch the receiver off at the back. I cant put it in deep standby.But you could have enabled debug logs to diagnose what was causing the problem and get it fixed, rather then let it continue and give additional issues

champs4life
08-01-17, 18:21
But you could have enabled debug logs to diagnose what was causing the problem and get it fixed, rather then let it continue and give additional issues

I thought it would fix itself mate. Yes I know very stupid and naive of me.

I even done a number of reflashes and still crashes.

So I just gave up in thinking if its still happening after reflashing then whatever is causing it is permanent and cant be fixed.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 18:49
So just because I am not a hobbyist who knows everything and can do everything I should just get rid of the receiver?

I take offence to that tbh.
You don't understand me; the boxes are for hobbyists, and you certainly don't 'have to know everything'. No one knows everything.
But you have been given some very simple advise, even multiple times, and the only thing you say is 'I can' t do that' and 'the box is faulty'. So you're far from a hobbyist, and hence would be far better of with a standard box from your provider.

birdman
08-01-17, 19:03
I even done a number of reflashes and still crashes.So you've re-flashed, added nothing and it still hangs (it isn't crashing, from your description)?

champs4life
08-01-17, 19:12
You don't understand me; the boxes are for hobbyists, and you certainly don't 'have to know everything'. No one knows everything.
But you have been given some very simple advise, even multiple times, and the only thing you say is 'I can' t do that' and 'the box is faulty'. So you're far from a hobbyist, and hence would be far better of with a standard box from your provider.

Sorry just because you are saying I am not a hobbyist doesnt mean I am going to thrown my receiver in the bin. You can think what you want. I dont agree with it one bit.

I am not taking such advice ok.

I will keep the box as I went to enigma boxes for being able to do more which you cant on provider boxes.

I will stick to such boxes even if I struggle.

champs4life
08-01-17, 19:18
So you've re-flashed, added nothing and it still hangs (it isn't crashing, from your description)?

I havent reflashed today, but I reflashed numerous times in previous months when it was crashing/hanging but after a few days after reflashing it started happening again.

Never bothered to reflash again after that.

birdman
08-01-17, 21:20
I havent reflashed today, but I reflashed numerous times in previous months when it was crashing/hanging but after a few days after reflashing it started happening again.So did you enable debug logs and post them here for help when that was happening?

champs4life
08-01-17, 22:18
No I didnt as I forgot how to do it and how to upload them here.

I have no excuses I should have done end of story.

I know I am to blame and its all my fault with the issues with the box and HDD.

Rob van der Does
08-01-17, 22:19
No I didnt as I forgot how to do it and how to upload them here.
Even for that you could ask for assistance.

champs4life
08-01-17, 22:39
Even for that you could ask for assistance.

I know I accept that.

With all the issues I have experience with the HDDs dying, failing call it what you want a part of me just gave up.

Was so excited and happy when I first got the box, could do so much on it you couldnt on the standard provider boxes.

Just really disappointed how over time I just became overwhelmed and couldnt cope with the non stop issues.

I know that I should have come on here when it started going pear shaped but I didnt as part of me thought it wasnt fixable.

Anyway if the receiver crashes/hangs again I will upload the logs needed.

In the meantime I will just take the HDD out now and take it to someone who I know who repairs computers to test the HDD to see if it is still recognised on a PC. If not that will confirm just like my first HDD that its dead and will just destroy it as there will be no way of making it work again.

My apologies to you Rob and anyone else if I came across as aggressive and a bit rude. With my health issues a big part of my life, I get very stressed and depressed when issues arise and I struggle to cope to resolve them.

Thanks for the input in this thread. I might not have shown it but appreciate all the help provided.

ronand
08-01-17, 22:48
You can be unlucky with hard drives - I have seen them fail out of the box. They have moving parts inside and are not made like they were 30 years ago (ie made to last). You can pick up second hand drives for 10-20 pounds. They probably wont last for years but at least it might be easier on the pocket. Start fresh and try to learn the different skills required to maintain these machines. A sky box is designed to be numpty-proof but only allows limited tasks that the provider decides. Linux receivers are a different beast but do require more effort to get the best from them. Getting help on a forum can seem daunting, but it is a two-way process that requires you providing ample information to get help but also you must take on board the answers given and try to implement them. Granted that the answers are not always right either! If there is something you don't understand then ask for help with that one thing - don't bite off more than you can chew.

birdman
09-01-17, 03:11
I havent reflashed today, but I reflashed numerous times in previous months when it was crashing/hanging but after a few days after reflashing it started happening again.So why not try a re-flash (i.e. start from scratch) and take it from there, one step at a time.

Rob van der Does
09-01-17, 04:45
So why not try a re-flash (i.e. start from scratch) and take it from there, one step at a time.
Just to be clear: without restore.
And then only install settings (or run ABM) and a softcam.
If all goes well for say 3 days go on by adding whatever plugins you use, at a pace of say one per 2 days.

maller
09-01-17, 15:08
you can buy a hard drive from cclonline.com they are very cheap and carry a full years warranty
i use them all the time

champs4life
09-01-17, 23:34
You can be unlucky with hard drives - I have seen them fail out of the box. They have moving parts inside and are not made like they were 30 years ago (ie made to last). You can pick up second hand drives for 10-20 pounds. They probably wont last for years but at least it might be easier on the pocket. Start fresh and try to learn the different skills required to maintain these machines. A sky box is designed to be numpty-proof but only allows limited tasks that the provider decides. Linux receivers are a different beast but do require more effort to get the best from them. Getting help on a forum can seem daunting, but it is a two-way process that requires you providing ample information to get help but also you must take on board the answers given and try to implement them. Granted that the answers are not always right either! If there is something you don't understand then ask for help with that one thing - don't bite off more than you can chew.

Ye I get that. But with 2 HDDs failing so quickly it just hurts especially when you are struggling for money as it is. Its probably my fault they failed with turning box off at the back and no screws fitted.

If I am being honest I rather not get second hand or refurbished HDDs as they will fail soon enough.

I have decided never to buy another HDD, it is drastic but I havent got money to burn down the drain.

The big problem is no matter how much I read or research into it I just cant understand or grasp it. I have suffered from learning difficulties such as dyslexia since I was a kid and am very slow at comprehending things. I know how hard I try to learn things and how I fail miserably.

Thats why I went from providers box to linux receivers due to the sheer amount of things you could do on them. No wonder they are the best receivers to buy. But they do need maintaining like updates etc which can be long and daunting at times.

That is my problem I expect multiple issues to be resolved all at once.

champs4life
09-01-17, 23:36
So why not try a re-flash (i.e. start from scratch) and take it from there, one step at a time.

I will in due course but I am thinking on what to do with the HDD situation as without a HDD there could be issues with EPG being saved etc.

champs4life
09-01-17, 23:36
Could things like picons, skins and other plugins potentially cause the crashes/hanging?

ronand
10-01-17, 00:05
Yes they could cause crashes - skins in particular. That's why you need to start afresh and add things one at a time to find out what is causing your problems. You can use a usb stick to store epg data & picons. Do not try to use internal flash for epg data storage.

cactikid
10-01-17, 01:12
many of us just view boxes with no skins or picons in use and box works better.yes a good quality usb initialized and mounted correctly.

champs4life
03-02-17, 16:43
I have been ill due to a viral infection on and off nearly 2 weeks. So been online very rarely.

I did ask someone here if they could walk me through step by step how to reflash the box but it seems pretty obvious it was all lies and that person wanted to keep all the knowledge for them self. I get people on here think just because they know everything and can do everything for themselves they are above and better than people like me who are thick and stupid. Thats fine but I dont think that way about anyone.

Anyway is there anyone who can tell me what to do or better provide me a guide which does step by step how to reflash the box.

I have accepted the HDD is gone now but I need to know now if the box is faulty after reflashing.

techygirl
03-02-17, 19:14
This page will help you:

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/receiver-usb-flashing-guides/

champs4life
04-02-17, 20:33
Yes I am aware of that link.

But what are the basic settings I need to apply as that guide doesnt tell me it all?

I need to know what steps to apply to figure if box is faulty as well or not?

So disappointed no one is willing to help me.

I guess this community doesnt want to help me because of how stupid and thick I am.

I will just have to guess and also take my problems else where.

champs4life
06-02-17, 16:09
Serously no one gona help me?

Starting a new thread will just be as pointless.

Wow shows what type of community this is where someone is really struggling and is basically begging for help people are blatantly ignoring.

Guess everyone is the same and all alike.

Thats fine. Theres plenty of forums who can bother to help.

WOS isnt the be all end all.

So sick of people on here.

garryboy
06-02-17, 16:27
When I started our with my vu duo. I knew absolutely nothing about setting up an enigma2 receiver.

I read some ammount of post in order to gain the knowledge.

Sure there were some points when I got stuck and I Always got help on the forum.

There is plenty of helpful information on this forum about setting up a reciever.

You need to take the time to read the information.

What better to do when you've been in your sick bed for 2 weeks.

Start with the basics. Tuner config. Autobouqets for channel list. Epg then once you have it all the basics then can mess about with plugins and skins.

champs4life
06-02-17, 18:14
I have read information thats all I have been doing but I cant find the basic information to setup the receiver basically.

In all honesty I think this place now is last place I would ask for help. People who I classed as friends showed their true colours.

Guess people like me cant get help without being bullied or looked down upon by many.

champs4life
15-02-17, 15:00
Unfortunately due to finances I am unable to pay what computer shops are asking to fix the HDD issue.

Is there an easy way to check if HDD is alive or dead? For example is getting a SATA enclosure/caddy the main way to check HDD is being recognised or not?

I have read you can connect HDD in PC with power lead and SATA cables but have no idea how to do that and dont feel comfortable opening my PC. Rarely open any of my devices up.

Any response would be appreciated.

silverblack
15-02-17, 17:19
You can get one these connects to USB no need to open up your PC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-HD-HDD-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Converter-Cable-ZV/142182912220?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D2220071%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2% 26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dfe8a3026647e465ab6 e562e9cce3a528%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%2 6sd%3D320895175406

Willo3092
15-02-17, 17:20
You can buy a usb HDD caddy for about £8, plug it into your PC and use the free version of Minitool Partition Wizard to delete all existing partitions and create a new primary ext4 partition.
That should be all that's needed to get the HDD up and running.

champs4life
15-02-17, 20:01
You can get one these connects to USB no need to open up your PC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-HD-HDD-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Converter-Cable-ZV/142182912220?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D2220071%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2% 26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dfe8a3026647e465ab6 e562e9cce3a528%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%2 6sd%3D320895175406

If you dont mind me asking how does this differ to a caddy/enclosure and which is better of the two?

champs4life
15-02-17, 20:03
You can buy a usb HDD caddy for about £8, plug it into your PC and use the free version of Minitool Partition Wizard to delete all existing partitions and create a new primary ext4 partition.
That should be all that's needed to get the HDD up and running.

I am assuming you can buy a 2.5" and 3.5" caddy right?

Do you have to do anything when putting HDD in the caddy like using any connectors inside?

What happens when connecting the caddy with HDD to PC and nothing shows up?

silverblack
15-02-17, 20:56
If you dont mind me asking how does this differ to a caddy/enclosure and which is better of the two?

Ease of connection to different HDD 3.5" or 2.5" ,IDE or Sata.
A caddy will usually only accept one type of HDD.

ccs
15-02-17, 22:06
Ease of connection to different HDD 3.5" or 2.5" ,IDE or Sata.
A caddy will usually only accept one type of HDD.Caddies can be bought which support both 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

silverblack
15-02-17, 22:09
Caddies can be bought which support both 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

I bought one of them tried 3.5,2.5 sata none worked it's in the bin.

ccs
15-02-17, 22:11
I bought one of them tried 3.5,2.5 sata none worked it's in the bin.Mine works fine.

Willo3092
15-02-17, 23:48
I am assuming you can buy a 2.5" and 3.5" caddy right?

Do you have to do anything when putting HDD in the caddy like using any connectors inside?

What happens when connecting the caddy with HDD to PC and nothing shows up?

The hdd just slots in the caddy and you plug it into a usb port.
If the drive is initialised it won't show up anyway. Download the free version of Minitool Partition Wizard and it will show up in that.
PM me and I'll send you a guide on how to use it.

nsw9154
16-02-17, 06:30
you could try one of these to connect your Hard Drive to your PC fairly Cheep and it might help you find if the Hard Drive is beyond repair it's worth a try and it could be useful later :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/229065-startech-external-hard-drive-docking-station-satdock25u

champs4life
18-02-17, 14:26
To clarify can you get caddys, docking stations and adapters which support 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs?

There is so many way and methods hard to tell which is right and best one.

birdman
18-02-17, 14:51
To clarify can you get caddys, docking stations and adapters which support 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs?Yes. If you want to be able to swap disks around you can get, e.g. this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N9M2UHW?psc=1If you wanted to have a drive permanently connected over USB you'd be better of getting an actual enclosure.
You can also get (cheaper) "USB to SATA" converter cables, but these have no external power supply so are only intended for use with 2.5" drives (which can run on the USB power line).

champs4life
20-02-17, 18:40
I have seen HDD docks which can take IDE or SATA 3.5" or 2.5" but not come across a caddy/enclosure which does the same guess you have to buy specific ones for the latter.

So HDDs docks arent meant to be connected all the time like caddy/enclosure?

I just need to see if my HDD is faulty or dead? Wouldnt use HDD as external HD which I assume can be done with both caddy and docking station.