PDA

View Full Version : Does the warning about VIX build 23 mean...

LanceH
01-01-17, 19:33
Seen the warning about UPGRADING to 4.2.023 here: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54806-OpenViX-build-4-2-023-Please-read!

Does that mean, for sanity's sake, I shouldn't flash this (new box)? It doesn't read that way, but...

Andy_Hazza
01-01-17, 19:46
You need to fresh flash via usb or couch flash via image manager and then restore your settings and plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roy0110
01-01-17, 20:58
i have a receiver that has not been updated from 4.2.022
if i was to do a software update on it now, would it skip 4.2.023 and update to whatever the latest version is AND avoid the problems associated with 4.2.023 ?
or would it still require a fresh flash?

Andy_Hazza
01-01-17, 21:24
What build are you on now? Menu > Information > About

iwg
02-01-17, 00:44
4.2.023 went OK as an online upgrade for me on a Solo2. I was previously on -022 where I had to reflash from USB but all recovery options worked perfectly. Normally, I now wait a day or so, so the new image can be downloaded then try the online upgrade, it if fails (or I see advance warning from Judge & team) I then try couch flash, then USB flash - all with restore options. But ONCE ever, they said "no restore" - start from scratch, so best advise there is document what you select/alter/choose so you can repeat your own specific choices out of the thousands of possibilities in menu's.

abu baniaz
02-01-17, 01:39
Seen the warning about UPGRADING to 4.2.023 here: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54806-OpenViX-build-4-2-023-Please-read!

Does that mean, for sanity's sake, I shouldn't flash this (new box)? It doesn't read that way, but...

If you are on 4.2 022 or newer, you can perform an online update.
Software update= Menu > Setup > Software update

If you are on 4.2 021 or older: Best not perform an online update.
You should create a settings backup.
Install the newest image you can find. (Using Image Manager to restore/flash is easiest thing to do for most people. You can also install latest image by USB.)
Once you have installed newest image, you can restore the settings and plugins.

If the above is confusing/does not make sense and you can think of better wording, please suggest it so we can make things simpler and clearer.

LanceH
02-01-17, 12:02
As I stated in my post, this is a new box (not got it yet because of the Holidays). My question was to clarify that if I flash the new untouched box with USB (as I would anyway), should I avoid .023 completely AS A NEW FLASH and use .021, say, for now.

It sounds like I CAN virgin flash .023 over the stock factory image (whatever that is) via USB and be fine.

Rob van der Does
02-01-17, 12:25
Just flash the latest available image (4.2.023 atm).

LanceH
02-01-17, 12:33
Just flash the latest available image (4.2.023 atm).

Will do, thanks for that.

LanceH
07-01-17, 09:05
Well... my new box arrived (with factory image), so flashed .023 immediately.

Seems to work OK and gives me the EPG that was impossible to obtain on the Dreambox 820HD.

I have to say the image is a bit flakey though. Just after the box booted for the first time, I had a crash that caused the box to restart. A day later, the box locked up (with the VIX spinner running for over an hour before I had to hit the rear power button). If I try Software Update, it just gives an error and when I try Download Plugins, the menu is blank.

I've tried a restart with no improvement, so I guess I'll wait for a later image...

Andy_Hazza
07-01-17, 09:32
No issues here with my Vu+ Solo2 using latest ViX image. Must be a setup issue. Tell us more, tuner configs, channel list, epg, where you are storing your epg, plugins etc.

LanceH
07-01-17, 12:23
The plugin downloads/software update were failing because I had inadvertently changed "feeds" to picons-eu. Hmmm.. The Picons available in the plugin download menu look old and not applicable for the UK...

LanceH
07-01-17, 14:03
Installed "picons-eu" as an ipk via local install and they now work.

I'm assuming the crash after flash and lock up were "funnies". Hopefully.

dsayers
07-01-17, 14:27
picons eu feeds have been removed so you will be best installing picons from here
https://www.picons.eu/ and uninstalling the picon feeds