PDA

View Full Version : Edision OSMini vs Mutant HD1500

kokojnr
30-12-16, 00:38
Looking for a second DVB-S2 twin tuner box for the bedroom which is capable of running IPTV.

Been looking at both edision osmini and mutant HD1500, im not bothered about internal HDD as will be using USB stick for both timeshift and occasional recording.

What are the pros and cons for either of these boxes please?

Andy_Hazza
30-12-16, 06:59
The Mut@nt has a slightly better chipset and can play H.265 (HVEC), whereas the Edison has twice as much Flash Ram (512mb as apposed to 256mb). Edison are good with support too. Decisions Decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john doe
30-12-16, 08:38
for iptv I would go for mutant

danlou
30-12-16, 09:39
Both are good boxes and similarly priced. As mentioned above hd1500 supports h.265 video codec so if you believe iptv is the future then this box will accommodate that format.
The only downside for the hd1500 is that it has only one USB port so you won't be able to use a USB wi-fi dongle if you can't direct link from Ethernet to the router. Of course you will be able to use homeplugs though.
The Edison has two USB ports and supports wi-fi. If looks is your thing then the mutant wins hands-down except the remote control unit which looks and feels flimsy but is functional. The Edison remote looks bulkier and durable plus it can be programmed for other AV devices.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either as an entry-level receiver. The important thing is they both run Openvix well and are supported with future updates.

joysleep1
30-12-16, 10:10
Both are good boxes and similarly priced. As mentioned above hd1500 supports h.265 video codec so if you believe iptv is the future then this box will accommodate that format.
The only downside for the hd1500 is that it has only one USB port so you won't be able to use a USB wi-fi dongle if you can't direct link from Ethernet to the router. Of course you will be able to use homeplugs though.
The Edison has two USB ports and supports wi-fi. If looks is your thing then the mutant wins hands-down except the remote control unit which looks and feels flimsy but is functional. The Edison remote looks bulkier and durable plus it can be programmed for other AV devices.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either as an entry-level receiver. The important thing is they both run Openvix well and are supported with future updates.

tbf, the edison remote is pants aswell.

Sicilian
30-12-16, 10:20
tbf, the edison remote is pants aswell.

Imo all remotes have some kind of issue. One can pick a fault with every remote on the market. You call it pants whereas some love it....

Theres no such thing as a perfect remote :)

joysleep1
30-12-16, 12:26
Imo all remotes have some kind of issue. One can pick a fault with every remote on the market. You call it pants whereas some love it....

Theres no such thing as a perfect remote :)

No i agree, but not every remote is the same, some are definetly better than others. Example, the xtrend 10000 remote or Vu solo 2 remotes are excellent. I can not think of a flaw with those remotes

Sicilian
30-12-16, 13:56
No i agree, but not every remote is the same, some are definetly better than others. Example, the xtrend 10000 remote or Vu solo 2 remotes are excellent. I can not think of a flaw with those remotes

VU+ remote annoys me not having an Info button. Xtrend remote excellent layout and quality, but hate the clicks lol. Mutant HD51 remote feels light, but i've dropped it soo many times and still keeps going. Edision remote button presses feel deep if that makes sense lol.

tomuser
30-12-16, 14:35
Layout is very personal. For example I like layout of Edision and Vu (old) remotes but dislike Mutant and Xtrend style :D

joysleep1
30-12-16, 14:41
VU+ remote annoys me not having an Info button. Xtrend remote excellent layout and quality, but hate the clicks lol. Mutant HD51 remote feels light, but i've dropped it soo many times and still keeps going. Edision remote button presses feel deep if that makes sense lol.

oh i did not realise that about the VU remote. I guess i dont really use the Info feature. I personally dont mind the clicks on the xtrend remote. I wish i could use the xtrend remote on my edison

kokojnr
30-12-16, 23:12
Thanks guys, I currently have Edision osmini+ which runs IPTV very well, which is very important for me as I watch lots of US channels.

My only concern with mutant is about the 256mb flash storage, will that be enough to store picons and EPG?

I intend to use a 16gb or 32gb USB for the timeshift.

The Edision remote is annoying, I have to stand in front of the box before the remote will work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
30-12-16, 23:18
Thanks guys, I currently have Edision osmini+ which runs IPTV very well, which is very important for me as I watch lots of US channels.

My only concern with mutant is about the 256mb flash storage, will that be enough to store picons and EPG?

I intend to use a 16gb or 32gb USB for the timeshift.

The Edision remote is annoying, I have to stand in front of the box before the remote will work.

Nooooooooooooooooo. Don't ever store EPG to the flash. Get a 64gb usb flash drive and save EPG, Timeshift and Picons to that. [emoji1360]

kokojnr
30-12-16, 23:22
Nooooooooooooooooo. Don't ever store EPG to the flash. Get a 64gb usb flash drive and save EPG, Timeshift and Picons to that. [emoji1360]

Cheers for your fast reply, what's the reason for not having EPG and PICON on flash please?

Andy_Hazza
30-12-16, 23:27
Cheers for your fast reply, what's the reason for not having EPG and PICON on flash please?

EPG data can easily get corrupted and expand if not careful, thus better being either on a usb flash drive or HDD. Picons are good stored to Flash, but I use the MK ones for instance and my collection probably stands at 220mb. If your Picon collection is a lot less, then by all means pop em onto your flash. [emoji4]

kokojnr
30-12-16, 23:33
EPG data can easily get corrupted and expand if not careful, thus better being either on a usb flash drive or HDD. Picons are good stored to Flash, but I use the MK ones for instance and my collection probably stands at 220mb. If your Picon collection is a lot less, then by all means pop em onto your flash. [emoji4]

Thanks for the info, my PICONS are about 6mb, so I can leave it on flash, got to change my EPG storage to USB.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Willmoore
31-12-16, 08:50
If you have to stand in front of the tv to get the Edision remote to work your ir led may be pointing the wrong way. See thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54069-Edision-Remote-is-Pants!&highlight=Edision+remote

kokojnr
31-12-16, 10:15
If you have to stand in front of the tv to get the Edision remote to work your ir led may be pointing the wrong way. See thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54069-Edision-Remote-is-Pants!&highlight=Edision+remote
Won't that void the warranty? I wonder if WoS can replace the remote..

kokojnr
21-01-17, 12:52
Ended up buying the Edision os mega just to "keep it in the family".
It arrived yeterday, I played about with it until midnight, I'm loving it...

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk