PDA

View Full Version : FTP error

Talky12
27-12-16, 20:31
Hello all
I'm currently experiencing this error
500 OOPS: vsftpd: refusing to run with writable root inside chroot ()
Whilst trying to ftp into my box, any ideas/suggestions to fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdman
27-12-16, 21:04
Are you connecting as root or do you have a separate user account set-up and are using that?
If you are connecting as root, do you have a password set?

The default config file contains this:

allow_writeable_chroot=YESbut will only chroot for non-root users (these are different meanings of "root").

Talky12
27-12-16, 21:05
I just use root as my username and 0000 as my password

Talky12
27-12-16, 22:33
Are you connecting as root or do you have a separate user account set-up and are using that?
If you are connecting as root, do you have a password set?

The default config file contains this:

allow_writeable_chroot=YESbut will only chroot for non-root users (these are different meanings of "root").

How do I change this file?

birdman
28-12-16, 03:42
How do I change this file? You shouldn't need to. It's set correctly so that if you connect as root you end up in / with no chroot environment set.
I've just set up my root account with the same password as you and it's OK for me.

Even if I run with and empty vsftpd.chroot_list file (which should contain just "root" - it's a list of accounts which should not chroot) and set /home/root to mode 777 I don't get that error.

The configuration file is /etc/vsftpd.conf - what does yours look like?

abu baniaz
28-12-16, 03:59
What FTP program are you using?

Please take time to read the following:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section)!

No harm has been done, no need to apologise. Please bear in mind for future support questions.

Talky12
28-12-16, 09:09
What FTP program are you using?

Please take time to read the following:

Hi Abu
As you've probably already guessed I was using Tapatalk to initially log my question, having read the attached link I'll stop now thanks for the info [emoji106]
I'm currently using FIleZilla (latest version) for FTP

Talky12
28-12-16, 09:13
You shouldn't need to. It's set correctly so that if you connect as root you end up in / with no chroot environment set.
I've just set up my root account with the same password as you and it's OK for me.

Even if I run with and empty vsftpd.chroot_list file (which should contain just "root" - it's a list of accounts which should not chroot) and set /home/root to mode 777 I don't get that error.

The configuration file is /etc/vsftpd.conf - what does yours look like?

Hi Birdman
Thanks for the info, I'm unable to connect to my box via FTP or Telnet at the moment so I'm unsure how I can tell you what my files look like (I'm not very proficient with Linux/unix) if you could point me in the right direction

abu baniaz
28-12-16, 09:43
switch off receiver and then reboot router and then start the receiver. double check IP address on receiver before entering in filezilla

Talky12
28-12-16, 09:56
switch off receiver and then reboot router and then start the receiver. double check IP address on receiver before entering in filezilla

Hi Abu
Still getting the vsftpd error I'm afraid

abu baniaz
28-12-16, 10:01
Is flashing the receiver again an option for you?

Talky12
28-12-16, 10:03
Is flashing the receiver again an option for you?

I've tried the factory reset option in the receiver and I've also downloaded the latest firmware from openvix - no better

abu baniaz
28-12-16, 10:08
factory reset does not do what it's name suggests.

Backup the current image then flash latest image please. do not restore anything. might be better to start from scratch.

Talky12
28-12-16, 10:27
factory reset does not do what it's name suggests.

Backup the current image then flash latest image please. do not restore anything. might be better to start from scratch.

Sorted thanks for your help

Ashley69
28-12-16, 11:03
For the benefit of others could you let us know how you resolved it.

Talky12
28-12-16, 11:11
Hi Ashley
Ultimately it was the advice Abu gave in post #13

Ashley69
28-12-16, 11:34
Glad your sorted :thumbsup:

Talky12
28-12-16, 11:35
Cheers mate