PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy another Xtrend?

techygirl
26-12-16, 11:56
Now that I have got to grips with my current ET8500 box and have acquired a second box (Octagon SF128) I have made the brave decision to reconfigure the house :D

My setup is as follows:
1 Large 3 LNB dish pointing to 19.2, 13.0, 28.2 with one cable coming into the house to living room.
1 sly dish with 4 cables coming into the house (2 to living room & 2 to son's bedroom)
1 aerial
sly box in living room
sly box in son's bedroom
youview box in main bedroom
cables running under the floor:
living room to kitchen
living room to main bedroom
living room to son's bedroom
ET8500 (1 x DVB tuner, 2 x sat tuners) in living room

And what I want is:
Do away with sly boxes.

So what I thought was:
Existing ET8500 moved to son's bedroom
Buy a new ET8500 with 4 tuners (1 x DVB and 3 x sat tuners) for the living room.
'Daisy chain' the Octagon from the living room box in the kitchen (as per twol's suggestion).

So I guess my options are many,
do I buy another Xtrend (1 x DVB & 3 sat tuner) for the living room and move existing ET8500 to son's bedroom
do I just buy another sat tuner for my existing ET8500 and buy a different box for son's room (1 x DVB and 2 x sat tuners)

Should I stay with Extrend or is there anything better (or is it all down to preference)

twol
26-12-16, 12:34
Brave decision ..... but fun:)
I would spend a few months thinking it through ... looking at how you might benefit from fbc tuners, unicable either direct thru LNB,s or a multiswitch suppporting unicable outputs.
Also it would pay to wait to see what is announced over the next 3 months in terms of new receivers and capabilities (Oregon with improved dvb-s2 tuners, mut@nt HD52 (Summer?) .. and perhaps Xtrend (under their new owners) ... and even the much rumoured Gigablue:)

At the moment there is only one player in town for fbc tuner receivers ... but over priced, still useless customer service/support and still fixing:)

Wish you a great experience:)

1554leslie
26-12-16, 21:17
Now that I have got to grips with my current ET8500 box and have acquired a second box (Octagon SF128) I have made the brave decision to reconfigure the house :D

My setup is as follows:
1 Large 3 LNB dish pointing to 19.2, 13.0, 28.2 with one cable coming into the house to living room.
1 sly dish with 4 cables coming into the house (2 to living room & 2 to son's bedroom)
1 aerial
sly box in living room
sly box in son's bedroom
youview box in main bedroom
cables running under the floor:
living room to kitchen
living room to main bedroom
living room to son's bedroom
ET8500 (1 x DVB tuner, 2 x sat tuners) in living room

And what I want is:
Do away with sly boxes.

So what I thought was:
Existing ET8500 moved to son's bedroom
Buy a new ET8500 with 4 tuners (1 x DVB and 3 x sat tuners) for the living room.
'Daisy chain' the Octagon from the living room box in the kitchen (as per twol's suggestion).

So I guess my options are many,
do I buy another Xtrend (1 x DVB & 3 sat tuner) for the living room and move existing ET8500 to son's bedroom
do I just buy another sat tuner for my existing ET8500 and buy a different box for son's room (1 x DVB and 2 x sat tuners)

Should I stay with Extrend or is there anything better (or is it all down to preference)Nice little setup there techygirl,The xtrend are on offer at the moment and if your happy with your current box then why not get another one

twol
26-12-16, 21:23
@1554leslie & techiegirl
I still love my ET8500,s. ... but the new arm chips make the receivers go that much faster although functionally offer similar capabilites apart from 2160 and other tuner capabilities

1554leslie
26-12-16, 22:14
Great prices at the moment for a lot of box for the ET 8500 which makes it attractive option twol

twol
27-12-16, 09:24
Currently my test ET8500 has 3 dvb-s2 tuners and does all the work... it has been rebooted, re-powered (not thaat kindly:)) and has withstood all so a really solid receiver .... and the new Xtrend owners have said they will continue to support .... so a good and now cheap (wish I had paid those prices!) option:)
..... and you don,t have to convert to oscam as per the arm receivers (although something that will have to be done by most eventually)

Stanman
27-12-16, 10:45
If you need the box now buy it as prices will go up due to weakening pound.

If you don't need it, wait for more release of 4K boxes and prices will drop, perhaps not to the levels of non arm boxes.

Not bought a 4K as no need, there is no content and when it does arrive unlikely due to encryption will play on non provider boxes at least in UK and Western Europe.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

techygirl
27-12-16, 11:38
Nice little setup there techygirl,The xtrend are on offer at the moment and if your happy with your current box then why not get another one

Thanks 1554leslie I have finally got to grips with it all (and am understanding things better.) Everyone has been incredibly patient :thumbsup:

If you need the box now buy it as prices will go up due to weakening pound.

If you don't need it, wait for more release of 4K boxes and prices will drop, perhaps not to the levels of non arm boxes.

Not bought a 4K as no need, there is no content and when it does arrive unlikely due to encryption will play on non provider boxes at least in UK and Western Europe.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

On the one hand I want everything now :D but I do need to plan ahead - not least as there are a load of recordings on the sly boxes that need to be watched before switching. And when I have thought about it, it is all mainly the terrestrial channels so the money spent on a sub could more than cover a new box.

I guess the question I have to ask myself is do I wait for new technology but in this game there is always new around the corner.

twol
27-12-16, 13:04
I guess the question I have to ask myself is do I wait for new technology but in this game there is always new around the corner.

Absolutely correct:)

radiomanok
25-03-17, 14:11
Can anyone tell me will the et8500 cable tuner record 1 cable channel while watching another cable channel at the same time? Thanks

abu baniaz
25-03-17, 14:15
Can anyone tell me will the et8500 cable tuner record 1 cable channel while watching another cable channel at the same time? Thanks

Only if on the same frequency. You can comfortably record six channels with one tuner if they are on the same frequency.

If you want to watch/record from two different frequencies, you need two tuners with access to the signal.

Applies to all receivers.

If you are buying, there may be a receiver in the classifieds soon.

radiomanok
26-03-17, 00:54
Thanks for that answer clears up now how it works:)