PDA

View Full Version : [ET10x00] Some hiccups in flash-upgrading

George Kildare
24-12-16, 12:49
I have just flash-upgraded from 4.1.16 to 4.2.23, following the prescription kindly given me by Abu Baniaz in another thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54275-Software-upgrade-does-not-seem-to-be-working

However, I encountered a few hiccups along the way and I am describing them here, in case my experience is useful to others.

1. Although the tuner configurations seem to be recorded in the settings file, they were not restored after I copied my settings file back into the /etc/ folder and rebooted. When I do a non-flash image restore the tuner configuration works OK.
Note that my Xtrend ET10000 has 4 tuners:
Tuner A DVB-C Enabled
Tuner B DVB-S2
Config mode simple
Mode Diseqc A/B/C/D
Tuner C DVB-C Enabled
Tuner D Positioner USALS
Configuration mode Simple
Longitude 04.4000 East
Latitude 052.1 North
Extra motor options No
I don’t know whether this problem is a bug connected with my complicated tuner configuration or the specifics of the ET10000. However, the bottom line is that to be safe upgraders should note the tuner configuration before flashing.

2. It is important to record the old adapter network settings and re-enter them using the Wizard or in Menu/Setup/System/Network after re-flashing.

3. After flash-upgrading, I copied the softcam + configuration files back into \etc\ and \etc\enigma. However, my CCcam softcam did not seem to be working. I puzzled about this for some time, restored my old image and even considered whether to spend tome immersing myself in the intricacies of changing from CCcam to Oscam.
It was very stupid of me. I eventually realized that I needed to start CCcam in the Softcam manager part of the menu and ensure that it was activated on startup.

I seem to be now up and running 4.2.23

abu baniaz
24-12-16, 13:20
Did you stop enigma2 before transferring your settings file?

if you have to do manually, file goes in
/etc/enigma2/

not
/etc/

twol
24-12-16, 13:34
I have just flash-upgraded from 4.1.16 to 4.2.23, following the prescription kindly given me by Abu Baniaz in another thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54275-Software-upgrade-does-not-seem-to-be-working

However, I encountered a few hiccups along the way and I am describing them here, in case my experience is useful to others.

1. Although the tuner configurations seem to be recorded in the settings file, they were not restored after I copied my settings file back into the /etc/ folder and rebooted. When I do a non-flash image restore the tuner configuration works OK.
Note that my Xtrend ET10000 has 4 tuners:
Tuner A DVB-C Enabled
Tuner B DVB-S2
Config mode simple
Mode Diseqc A/B/C/D
Tuner C DVB-C Enabled
Tuner D Positioner USALS
Configuration mode Simple
Longitude 04.4000 East
Latitude 052.1 North
Extra motor options No
I don’t know whether this problem is a bug connected with my complicated tuner configuration or the specifics of the ET10000. However, the bottom line is that to be safe upgraders should note the tuner configuration before flashing.

2. It is important to record the old adapter network settings and re-enter them using the Wizard or in Menu/Setup/System/Network after re-flashing.

3. After flash-upgrading, I copied the softcam + configuration files back into \etc\ and \etc\enigma. However, my CCcam softcam did not seem to be working. I puzzled about this for some time, restored my old image and even considered whether to spend tome immersing myself in the intricacies of changing from CCcam to Oscam.
It was very stupid of me. I eventually realized that I needed to start CCcam in the Softcam manager part of the menu and ensure that it was activated on startup.

I seem to be now up and running 4.2.23
Why don,t you do a settings backup using the BackupManager ?
Using the backupmanager restore, I have never had a issue with the network adapter setting or tuner setup ( although perhaps your complicated setup? may be an issue..... but shouldn,t)
Also provided you add the correct folders into backupmanager you shouldn,t have an issue with cccam or oscam:)

ccs
24-12-16, 14:13
4.1 to 4.2 requires a re-flash with no settings restore, although files created by backupmanager could be used to "manually" recreate specific settings.

George Kildare
24-12-16, 16:08
Did you stop enigma2 before transferring your settings file?

if you have to do manually, file goes in
/etc/enigma2/

not
/etc/
\

Hi Abu,

I saved the old settings file from /etc/enigma2/ and restored it to the same directory after flash-upgrading. I then rebooted.
Very many thanks for all your work and have a good holiday.

abu baniaz
24-12-16, 16:59
Hi Abu,

I saved the old settings file from /etc/enigma2/ and restored it to the same directory after flash-upgrading. I then rebooted.
Very many thanks for all your work and have a good holiday.

Your post does not confirm you stopped enigma2 before transferring the file. If you transfer the file without stopping E2, you write back what is stored in RAM.

George Kildare
24-12-16, 17:45
No. I didn't know stop enigma. I wasn't sure how to do it.

abu baniaz
24-12-16, 17:46
No. I didn't know stop enigma. I wasn't sure how to do it.

use this guide
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40948-How-to-use-Putty-for-Unix-Linux-commands

init 4

George Kildare
24-12-16, 18:08
I didn't know how to enter a command line to the box from my MAC.

George Kildare
24-12-16, 18:10
I also thought that if I copied the settings file to the correct folder, it would be activated after booting.

abu baniaz
24-12-16, 18:17
9. As soon as you get to first install wizard, halt enigma2 with "init 4" command.

:confused:

George Kildare
24-12-16, 18:40
It's probably stupid of me, but I am unclear how to enter Init 4? Do I do that from my Mac using IDreamX? Why doesn't rebooting activate the copied settings file?

abu baniaz
24-12-16, 18:47
Try this

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Telnet-on-Mac-OS-X