PDA

View Full Version : VU+Ultimo 4K

John57
22-12-16, 17:24
The new VU+Ultimo 4K looks and sounds like really interesting 4K receiver that I would like to add to my set up as from Jan 2017, it would be replacing one of my VU+Solo2 receivers.

At the moment reviews, and personal reviews are very thin on the ground due to its newness and thats why I am following the VU+Ultimo 4K forum threads closely in order to see how our forum members are getting on with this new receiver.

I have located a YouTube product breakdown/review of this product but sadly its in German the actual introduction starts at time code 7.57 from what I can understand it looks like a great unit and is "somewhat" future proof regarding 4kUHD which is good as I purchased a 4k UHD Samsung two months ago (KS9590 -German Model-KS9500)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgqC2o5M4p8&t=786s

This would be a receiver that I would love to purchase from our sponsor with these options ie, FBC/Cable Tuner/ 1tb HD but understanding how to proceed with all options that FBC turner offers requires from me a steep learning curve.

My current set up is a 80cm dish with a Inverto (x2) IDLB-QUTL 40 UN Quattro LNB Ultra feeding two VU+Solo2 receivers in a two room location, ie living room and work study. I am not sure if this LNB set up is suitable to operate the Ultimo fully or partly using the full FBC option but would be more then happy if this set up would indeed improve on my current set up even if not full utilised.

We also have a basic cable set up from our provider and I should take advantage of this in the event of heavy rain storms so adding this option would be sensible.

Really hope the Vix Image is able to fully support this receiver going forward as it could serve me well as a 4k receiver going forward well past 2017.

Just my thought and wishes going forward into 2017, would welcome any and all tips related to my thoughts.

Regards to all
John.

abu baniaz
22-12-16, 17:41
FBC tuners have virtual tuners that can use the signal from the main tuner. With a universal LNB, they are essentially loop through tuners.

If you combine FBC and Unicable, you get more possibilities. They are two separate things. With FBC and unicable, you can assign a virtual tuner to a channel/band/SCR from the unicable setup.

You can use a quattro LNB with a unicable/2 switches. It is up to you to decide whether buying a unicable switch to use the existing quattro LNB is as economic as buying a unicable 2 lnb.

N.B

Rob van der Does
22-12-16, 17:45
The FBC C-tuner of the Ultimo 4k can be setup by connecting the cable to (root)tuner A. The 6 leaf-tuners will be connected by E2 as loop-through.

John57
22-12-16, 17:47
abu baniaz

Really clear answer reference my post, many thanks for taking the time to post your thought and experience
I will continue to do a little research in order to maximise my options.

Kind Regards
John.

John57
22-12-16, 17:49
The FBC C-tuner of the Ultimo 4k can be setup by connecting the cable to (root)tuner A. The 6 leaf-tuners will be connected by E2 as loop-through.

Rob, I also appreciate your recommendations to my post.

Regards
John

Dream1
22-12-16, 20:49
Does any1 kwn Wat cams will work on.the ultimo 4k

rossi2000
22-12-16, 20:53
dee same cams dat work on da solo4k.

Dream1
22-12-16, 20:58
Mgcamd will.work ok then

abu baniaz
22-12-16, 20:59
Not sure anyone has checked on OpenVix lately.

You will have to use OsCam for ARM CPUs.

Dream1
22-12-16, 21:00
It has to be oscam

john doe
23-12-16, 09:26
It has to be oscam

yes it does. there is other cams like mgcamd for ARM boxes, but not sure how to setup & install.

Andy_Hazza
23-12-16, 10:46
Mgcamd for ARM didn't work for me or Rossi last time we tried. Anyhow Oscam is the way to go and is constantly being updated and maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream1
23-12-16, 12:24
Ok guys I just have to learn oscam

giub1981
23-12-16, 13:06
Hi guys

Is there any ETA on a VIX image for the ultimo 4k?

Rob van der Does
23-12-16, 13:29
We don't do ETA's, we never did and never will.
It's ready when it's ready, and when it's ready you'll find it in the download section.

giub1981
23-12-16, 13:56
ok, will keep checking :-)

DaMacFunkin
23-12-16, 13:59
lol at rossi2000

To original poster, i have this box, on the packaging it states:

Best Imaginable UHD Receiver.

Now don't get me wrong, it is good, if they can sort the usals FBC problem out i might even recommend it but i can imagine a lot better.
There are rumors that the new Octagon 4k will have 4:2:2 and muticast support as well as HLG support out of the box, VU+ mustn't be able to imagine those features, LOL.

rossi2000
23-12-16, 14:06
vu only like to imagine taking your money,

twol
23-12-16, 15:19
lol at rossi2000

To original poster, i have this box, on the packaging it states:

Best Imaginable UHD Receiver.

Now don't get me wrong, it is good, if they can sort the usals FBC problem out i might even recommend it but i can imagine a lot better.
There are rumors that the new Octagon 4k will have 4:2:2 and muticast support as well as HLG support out of the box, VU+ mustn't be able to imagine those features, LOL.

There are videos showing the multistream support.

twol
23-12-16, 15:20
vu only like to imagine taking your money,

........ and allowing the users the honour of testing their box for them :)

rossi2000
23-12-16, 16:18
true dat. .

Trial
23-12-16, 16:57
Hi,
driver from today:

update drivers(solo4k, uno4k, ultimo4k)
- Fix motorized dish(uno4k, ultimo4k)
- Fix PES filter
- Fix FastForward
- Fix DTS media playback problem

So motor might be solved.

ciao

DaMacFunkin
23-12-16, 17:44
Hurray. @ Trial
I also need to say in my short time using VTi on the ultimo4k i haven't encountered the fast forward rewind bug that the solo4k seems to have...
i may try VTi on the solo4k over christmas and see what happens.

Rob van der Does
23-12-16, 18:14
All images use the same drivers, and FF is really driver dependant.

Trial
23-12-16, 19:16
Hi Rob,
I am not sure about that. I think gstreamer is involved in playback.

ciao

Rob van der Does
23-12-16, 19:33
Tue, but only for other files then recordings.

Trial
23-12-16, 22:52
Hi,
I am also not sure about that. Because of FCC I mainly use VTi with old gstreamer 1.64 at the moment and there are no problems with ff and fr at least I did not see one. Not to be misunderstood 1.64 has other drawbacks like VC1 not working always or no chapter marks in mkv.

ciao

Rob van der Does
23-12-16, 23:06
Recordings are only handled by the hardware. All other files need the help of GSreamer.

DaMacFunkin
23-12-16, 23:18
Like i said, it used to work, and for a long time it hasn't, i will give it a try over Christmas, i will try new a few images old and new.

DaMacFunkin
23-12-16, 23:21
Hi,
I am also not sure about that. Because of FCC I mainly use VTi with old gstreamer 1.64 at the moment and there are no problems with ff and fr at least I did not see one. Not to be misunderstood 1.64 has other drawbacks like VC1 not working always or no chapter marks in mkv.

ciao

I have recently acquired a brand spanking all singing all dancing very expensive Oppo 203 and that isn't recognizing chapter marks in MKV either, does no one test their products any more???

DaMacFunkin
23-12-16, 23:23
Recordings are only handled by the hardware. All other files need the help of GSreamer.

We found now i remember, that if you playback a recording on the solo4K made with another machine such as a Duo2 it is fine, the problem is with recordings made by the solo4k itself.

Rob van der Does
24-12-16, 05:04
I have recently acquired a brand spanking all singing all dancing very expensive Oppo 203 and that isn't recognizing chapter marks in MKV either, does no one test their products any more???
Usually the users/clients do that: they buy a device, complain about missing/failing functionality and the manufacturer uses the feedback for updating the firmware (and sometimes even the hardware). And they do it for free and much faster then any embedded testing would allow; that's what makes the manufacturer really happy :)

twol
24-12-16, 07:39
May be an issue with the software used to rip the CD to mkv .... I seem to remember numerous issues with the software package I used in the past:)

DaMacFunkin
24-12-16, 07:49
May be an issue with the software used to rip the CD to mkv .... I seem to remember numerous issues with the software package I used in the past:)

Nope My Samsung TV, My Zidoo X9S, My Amazon Fire TV 2 & My Amazon Fire both running SPMC observe chapter marks fine.

twol
24-12-16, 08:27
Nope My Samsung TV, My Zidoo X9S, My Amazon Fire TV 2 & My Amazon Fire both running SPMC observe chapter marks fine.

If Samsung can do it, must be an Oppo issue:):)

Trial
17-01-17, 12:17
Hi,
on friday he box became even more interesting. I got my Echo on friday and the same day an Echo plugin for the 4K boxes was made public. With this plugin it is possible to control an (4K-)E2 box with Echo/Dot. It is really funny to say "Alexa switch BBC1 on" and the receiver switches to BBC1:-) (only an example I used "Das Erste" for my tests) Everything which is possible with the web interface might be controllable with Echo.

Even more this plugin installs a complete HA bridge so that it is able to control also Harmony and Hue with the help of the box but I did not test this up to now.

Only 4K Arm boxes are supported because a complete Java runtime is needed for that.

Ralf

rossi2000
17-01-17, 13:23
where is the plugin ralf?
I have an echo dot.

Trial
17-01-17, 15:00
Hi,
here you are. It is from Hmmmdada out of the VTi board.

ciao

Rob van der Does
17-01-17, 15:13
Should I add this to the 3rd-party feeds? Should only be done if the dependencies are on the feeds.

DaMacFunkin
17-01-17, 15:17
For over 2 years i have been able to tell my Samsung TV to switch to Sky Sports 1 HD (and it will switch my VU+ box) or show me the latest Star Wars trailer on youtube and it does, the novelty soon wears off.

rossi2000
17-01-17, 15:25
it won't run on vix, without a slight tweak to the plugin.py
then are all sorts of other crashes.

next problem is its all in German. :(

out comes the translator.

rossi2000
17-01-17, 15:26
Should I add this to the 3rd-party feeds? Should only be done if the dependencies are on the feeds.

its seems to be coded with German text, so no good for 99% of us. :D

Trial
17-01-17, 16:30
Hi,
why is German a problem? I use it on a daily basis:-)

I can ask the author if he is interested in a localized version which also runs on OE-A images. Should I?

Ralf

rossi2000
17-01-17, 16:37
sure ye, if you don't mind

Rob van der Does
17-01-17, 18:28
its seems to be coded with German text, so no good for 99% of us. :D
Well, at last the UK-translation file can be helpful :)
And I think you underestimate the number of German speaking users.