PDA

View Full Version : Edison OS Mini plus wifi issues

arrodball
21-12-16, 23:39
hi,
I have took delivery of the above receiver today however i cannot get the box to connect to the internal wifi its flashed with the latest vix software. I have set the box up with channels etc however it will not connect to wifi despite trying all settings checking password & rebooting as mentioned in other posts its not a wifi signal issue as i've checked this has anyone got any tips i could try.

Thanks in advance
AB

john doe
22-12-16, 09:56
youtube - os mini wifi setup, theres a video on there

arrodball
22-12-16, 10:14
Hi John

I have looked at the videos and i have set Wifi up before on various boxes. The Issue i have is that when i'm in the menus to set up the wifi shows up with a good strong signal which is great, but when I go through the options at the connecting stage says its connected but wont then goes back to the set up page. If the box wont connect to wifi then its no good to me as its only for the spare room with no wired access. I have also tried two different wifi dongles and they too show up in the menu but fail to connect. I'm wondering if its an image issue that was flashed on the 9th December according to the image details.

I have done a search online and i cant see any reports of this type of issue since the image was updated when there was a problem previously.

I hope that makes sense If i cant get it to work ill have to send the box back and look at other options

john doe
22-12-16, 11:05
mine took sometime to setup. i put this in the bedroom on wifi (i live in a house with solid walls) showed near full signal strength, but kept dropping out. had to revert to homeplugs, which work a treat. can you test in another room, closer to the router.

once you connect you need to restart the box for it to lock on.

arrodball
22-12-16, 11:23
Thanks I did try to set it up right next to the router as i thought the same thing and still nothing. I don't think its a signal issue. I have set various boxes up over wifi in the past so i'm familiar with different types of encryption's.

john doe
22-12-16, 11:35
Thanks I did try to set it up right next to the router as i thought the same thing and still nothing. I don't think its a signal issue. I have set various boxes up over wifi in the past so i'm familiar with different types of encryption's.

have you tried to setup again and then restart box? the other option maybe homeplugs, which in my opinion is far better

arrodball
22-12-16, 11:50
I have tried to set it up a few times and done the restart that was suggested in a previous thread some time ago.

Im just onto WOS support and they have suggested that i re-flash the image failing that buy some home plugs ?. Frustrating as i was running a cloud i box 2 previously over wifi without any issues and the reason i bought the Edision was for the built in wifi. If it does not work after re-flashing it will have to go back and i will look for something else that suits my needs but i would rather get what i have working if i can

Ashley69
22-12-16, 12:11
It's definitely one of your settings that is not quite right.
Double check your all your settings including your subnet,gateway,dns, encryption settings( Wpa,wpa2) encryption key is correct.
Have you tried setting a static IP address of your own ?

arrodball
22-12-16, 12:29
Hi Ashley
Thanks for the advice ill have another go with it tonight I suspect your right. I think ill reboot the router again to see if that helps, the weird thing is that it picks up the wifi signal it says its connected then when you go to check the connection its not working. If anyone has any further help please feel free to add your views.

Thanks to all so far

ccs
22-12-16, 12:35
What does "Network test" come up with when you select the wifi/wlan interface?

arrodball
22-12-16, 12:42
from memory there all green expect for two items It wont pick up the local network or the IP address but that's from memory i will double check tonight when i get in if that's OK

john doe
22-12-16, 14:00
it took me 3 times to get it up and running. even when it worked it was poor reception, hence I turned to home plugs.

its defo your settings. I would reflash and setup from new. once it connects, restart the box

arrodball
22-12-16, 14:17
I'm going to try again tonight thanks for all your help & Ill let you all know how i get on. I'll be miffed if it wont work over wifi though, I think your right, its probably a settings issue that i will need to work through at my end. I have a good idea on how these things work so if it is an IT issue at my end i will know how to solve it. The frustrating thing from my point of view is that all my other boxes even the cheaper ones are easy to set up with Wifi and work in the same room as i want to put this box into.

Lets see what tonight brings hopefully a new day & fresh eyes will identify the problem :D

arrodball
22-12-16, 19:51
Well flashed the openATV image and hay presto, bang straight on to wifi no problem. Put the open vix image back on the box(latest version) and it wont even pick up a wifi signal it says no internet connection:confused:. looks like i'll i now have to move away from Open vix.

cactikid
22-12-16, 20:12
i presume you rechecked with the wizard you had setup wifi and it was checking itself to say connected or not?

Ashley69
22-12-16, 20:20
Are you using the network wizard to connect to wifi?

arrodball
22-12-16, 20:24
Hi cactikid
Yep did that like I say flashed openATV and it connected straight away with the same setting it's defiantly an image issue I like open vix images especially as it organises the channel list but if it doesn't do what it says i.e. Works with wifi then it's no good to me out of interests I've asked elsewhere can you use is mini images on the is mini plus

arrodball
22-12-16, 20:25
Are you using the network wizard to connect to wifi?
I tried it with and without the wizard still would not work either way

Ashley69
22-12-16, 20:37
Can you post a screenshot of your wifi adaptor settings.

arrodball
22-12-16, 20:39
Ok will do let me reboot the machine

arrodball
22-12-16, 20:49

Ashley69
22-12-16, 21:00
When going through network wizard and select your router it goes to next page.
Use interface=yes
Use DHCP = yes
Hidden network = no
Network name = Tp link 2.4 ghz
Encryption = Wpa or Wpa 2 or whatever your router is.
Encryption key = wifi password.

When you press ok where does it go from there?

cactikid
22-12-16, 21:03
unsure if using a wifi have you got a password to enter like on using a laptop on wifi ,lets you in and keeps others out:confused:

arrodball
22-12-16, 21:04
Exactley the same as when WPA & WPA2 are switched on nothing No connection the weird thing is that on openATV it just connected hence why i think its an image issue

arrodball
22-12-16, 21:08
unsure if using a wifi have you got a password to enter like on using a laptop on wifi ,lets you in and keeps others out:confused:

yes there is a password on the router and i have checked that i have put the right on in :cool:

Ashley69
22-12-16, 21:10
Can't be an image issue otherwise we would have lots of posts complaining. I've got 2 set up over wifi and they have never missed a beat.
Check what encryption your router has set for your 2.4 ghz

arrodball
22-12-16, 21:13
i have checked and double checked the encryption its the right password for sure

cactikid
22-12-16, 21:17
can you double check your image on box is for that model listed?

arrodball
22-12-16, 21:19
theres got to be a conflict some where but why would one image just connect and another not do

Spanner04
22-12-16, 21:21
Didn't work for me either using the latest Openvix image, so I've just resorted to using the Ethernet for a faster connection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cactikid
22-12-16, 21:32
so might not be your fault after all that and if others are posting wifi issues.:D

arrodball
22-12-16, 21:39
The trouble i have is that if something is advertised as doing something i.e. its wifi compatible and it doesn't work and i have enough it knowledge to know it doesn't work despite people on here helping out also, then i have a problem with that. I spoke to WOS today and their suggestion was to purchase some home plugs ? well i don't want any home plugs, if i did want to use home plugs i would have bought a cheap receiver from the market with a bad reputation for wifi connectivity and plugged it into the home plugs knowing that the wifi probably would not work anyway . I didn't do that because i wanted a wifi receiver. not only that the piggin receiver is currently sat right next to the router so its not even a signal issue. The wireless receiver in the box can pick up theres a router it just wont connect

Rant over :mad: now back to the topic in hand :thumbsup:

arrodball
22-12-16, 21:39
can you double check your image on box is for that model listed?

its the right image

Ashley69
22-12-16, 21:45
I can only think it's a driver issue.
Connect the box via your lan cable for now. Activate the lan connection making sure it's turned green.
Then go back to network setup/ device setup and tell me what the WLAN connection info is written underneath. It should start with rt

cactikid
22-12-16, 21:46
post in the support thread for your box it could be another bug in the image that wont allow a connection,the more that post the more they see an issue.
its the same with any issue covering all bases ,check and recheck.
no idea of what signal a router and box use to connect=compatible?

arrodball
22-12-16, 22:04
Ashley

I think you 100% right re the driver issue.
last night connected to LAN and it works fine but it doesn't hold the ip address when switched over to wifi but thats not the point, its a spare box that i want to use with wifi & my point going forward is just because people don't come & openly state there's an issue does not mean that there isn't one & the advice i got of the supplier to buy home plugs which would be the easy solution for them without having to address the main issue & what happens if the room i want to use the receiver in is on a different circuit to where my router is then the home plugs would not work or sort the problem out.

listen im not having a go here as its a hobby & that's why we do it and help each other out but please mr supplier don't tell me its my problem when i know its not and there is defiantly an issue with wifi on these boxes. but you know what i can send it back if i want at my expense & with a 20% restocking charge and only if its not been used was the basic jist of the conversation:eek: all i want is a box that works over wifi

Thats probably enough to kill this thread :rolleyes:

ccs
22-12-16, 22:32
I can't see there being any difference between the drivers on openATV and VIX.

cactikid
22-12-16, 22:36
have you posted on the support thread yet:confused:?

arrodball
22-12-16, 22:38
all i know is that it works over wifi with OpenATV ? but its not the image i want to use after using openvix for as long as i can remember

arrodball
22-12-16, 22:47
Right guys never one to give up i have re-flashed with openvix version 4.2.020 and its connected straight away so i suggest that is others are having the same issues in future as im sure the big man with the red suit on (royal Mail) will be delivering these boxes over the next few days then this may solve the problem ill let you know how i get on over the next few days

Thanks to all for your valued efforts

ccs
22-12-16, 23:02
Edision (OS mini Combo) WLAN problem reported on OpenPLI a few days ago...

That happend due to a change in upgrade path of r8723bs package.

arrodball
22-12-16, 23:19
my euphoria may have been short lived as the older image which works with wifi does not support the downloads section due to kernel issues so im going back to the latest openvix again to see if i can manipulate that image again. All the fun of the fair :rolleyes:

ccs
22-12-16, 23:25
.... sounds like this problem....

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54715-Edision-Plugins-failing&p=430256&viewfull=1#post430256

Not your day, is it?

arrodball
22-12-16, 23:40
it could be worse :smiley_yup:

Sicilian
23-12-16, 08:26
I've just spent time testing embedded wifi on OSmini/OSmini+ and OSMega. Fresh flash and setup on OpenViX build 4.2.023, no restores. Wifi working exaclty how it should be using WPA2 encryption.

arrodball
23-12-16, 09:59
Ill try it again tonight :thumbsup:

Ashley69
23-12-16, 10:06
so might not be your fault after all that and if others are posting wifi issues.:D

I'm trying to find all the other postings for this issue.:confused: Could you link me to them please.

cactikid
23-12-16, 11:43
post30 from spanner04:D

i also have an edison coming back to me with boot issue and will need to check wifi issues.

baz135
23-12-16, 12:43
I had the same problem and sorted it by re-flashing image 4.2.023 via rear usb. hope this helps.

arrodball
23-12-16, 15:51
Ok,guys I've reflashed with the latest image and still no wifi however I have done what Ashley69 suggested and plugged it into a wired connection connect to the internet let it do the online update, then go into wlan settings and connect to the wlan connection it then connects to the wifi remove wired connection restart the box and it holds the wifi connection.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions hope this is helpful to others with similar issues :thumbsup:

ccs
23-12-16, 16:21
If you reflashed with the latest image, why was an online update available/needed, I wonder?

Spanner04
23-12-16, 16:33
Ok,guys I've reflashed with the latest image and still no wifi however I have done what Ashley69 suggested and plugged it into a wired connection connect to the internet let it do the online update, then go into wlan settings and connect to the wlan connection it then connects to the wifi remove wired connection restart the box and it holds the wifi connection.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions hope this is helpful to others with similar issues :thumbsup:

Nice work! What menu did you do the online update from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arrodball
23-12-16, 17:47
I presume that it will only update if needed I can't remember if anything actually updated or not I'm just saying that's how I got mine to work and it's running fine.

Regarding the box itself first impressions are as others have said it will make a good spare room box but I would suggest spending a bit more money if this was your main box for viewing on. The reason I say this is I find the channel changing slow but other than that it works as expected.

baz135
23-12-16, 18:08

Have you tried updating by downloading update 4.2023 from WOS web site and unzipping file and then copy to USB stick. switch off box plug in USB stick to rear of receiver, then switch on box, read message on screen "hold down OK button for 10 seconds" this should re-flash box with updated image.

This worked for me got and my WiFi working again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arrodball
23-12-16, 18:14
Hi Baz it took me 2 days to get the wifi working I'm not about to start changing anything for the moment lol as we all know time will pass and the memory of this will fade when it does I'll try a different image :eek:

cactikid
23-12-16, 20:41
is it not press ok button within 10 secs to get the image to flash,once pressed within 10 secs you see things move.

arrodball
23-12-16, 20:56
From my vast flashing experience :eek: the receiver boots straight away once the welcome screen shows on the front panel, but as others have said if not press the ok button on the remote for 10 seconds