PDA

View Full Version : [ET8500] ET8500 gets stuck during upgrade and will not boot up

ALIEN1X
21-12-16, 20:48
Today I tried to update to latest software while connected to the net (not usb). I have done this before with no problems. I tried to update to latest vix build 20 Dec 2016 and while updating it stayed in the status of software/device ugrading for 1 hr and did not auto reboot?

I obviously knew that something was not right, so had no alternative but to manually shut down and restart.

While restarting all I get is the black and red Extrend logo and will not go or boot any further?

Sounds it must be a software problem and hope its not the hardware as all was working well before I tried to upgrade with latest VIX build

Any advsie on how I can get this working now its in a frozen logo mode?

abu baniaz
21-12-16, 21:04
Have you tried flashing/installing image by USB?

iwg
21-12-16, 21:07
Hi Alien1x

there is a thread on here started by Sicilian about an issue VIX team proactively advertised with online upgrades this time round. At the time I looked it's two below your's on the list. Some advice in there but in summary this time round (just noticed ABU has also replied whilst I type) - you need to do a USB flash and restore.

ALIEN1X
21-12-16, 21:21
Hi Alien1x

there is a thread on here started by Sicilian about an issue VIX team proactively advertised with online upgrades this time round. At the time I looked it's two below your's on the list. Some advice in there but in summary this time round (just noticed ABU has also replied whilst I type) - you need to do a USB flash and restore.

Thanks, I re-flashed with latest vix and got it working with USB then by trial and error restored my previous settings.

So I now have the previous build but lost my picons on epg, not sure how to get them back as my back up did not restore them?

So for now I guess I can not update to latest vix with out loosing all my settings as it goes through the whole wizard again?

abu baniaz
21-12-16, 21:26
What image are you on now?

Please give the exact number after 4.2

ALIEN1X
21-12-16, 21:30
Image number is 4.2.022

Ah that means I have latest build but not restored my picons

twol
21-12-16, 21:31
Not a big help, but I always put my picons on a usb stick so they don,t disappear:)
If you ran a settings backup, then it should have restored your settings.

ALIEN1X
21-12-16, 21:37
strange how my settings back up did not restore picons, its really annoying when going through epg

abu baniaz
21-12-16, 21:39
Did you install the picons using Ocram's picon feeds?

ALIEN1X
21-12-16, 21:47
Did you install the picons using Ocram's picon feeds?

Not sure if I did, but should I down load that?
And will it auto save in my setiings when updating software builds in future?

Ah just checked downloads and cant find Ocrams picon feed ?

abu baniaz
21-12-16, 21:52
the Ocram picon feeds are more or less defunct. Download the picons from his server manually using PC then install them

twol
21-12-16, 21:55
Not sure if I did, but should I down load that?
And will it auto save in my setiings when updating software builds in future?

Ah just checked downloads and cant find Ocrams picon feed ?
If you really want to ensure you backup everything you want then modify the settings backup by selecting the appropiate folders/files

ALIEN1X
21-12-16, 22:07
the Ocram picon feeds are more or less defunct. Download the picons from his server manually using PC then install them

Which server and file?
And how do I install them via pc, do I ftp into a certain file folder on box?

abu baniaz
21-12-16, 22:20
Use Chrome browser on PC and go to

picons.eu

Select the ipk you want and save it to your PC. I use the 220x132 dark on blue

How to install an ipk
Transfer the ipk file to /tmp directory of receiver
Blue > Vix > Install local extension
Select the ipk and press OK

abu baniaz
21-12-16, 22:34
If you are going to use a USB stick ( this will be better as you dont have to keep installing it), download the hard link version. Unzip it and transfer the "picon" folder to the USB stick.

ALIEN1X
21-12-16, 23:32
Use Chrome browser and go to

picons.eu

Select the ipk you want and save it to your PC. I use the 220x132 dark on blue

How to install an ipk
Transfer the ipk file to /tmp directory of receiver
Blue > Vix > Install local extension
Select the ipk and press OK

I can not find these folders tmp in my box, do I create them?

abu baniaz
21-12-16, 23:35
have you downloaded the ipk from the website using your web browser on PC?

ALIEN1X
22-12-16, 00:21
have you downloaded the ipk from the website using your web browser on PC?

Thanks, all sorted , got it all working now. Wow all that palaver after updating software

Tkr001
22-12-16, 05:00
TBH you bought it all on yourself. YOU didn't ensure you had adequate backup before attempting to update. Don't take this the wrong way but as you seem relatively inexperienced I suggest you always do an image backup before updating. That way you can always go back to where you were.

twol
22-12-16, 08:24
...... and you have an et8500, probabky one of the easiest receivers to couch flash..... as long as you have a settings backup, picons on a usb stick and the feeds are online.
I always couch flash an image ... takes me about 90 seconds plus 2 reboots and you have an absolutely clean and upto date image.
It has always worked for me over many 100 flashes :)

techygirl
22-12-16, 09:59
I have previously always done the receiver update on my ET8500 whenever there is a new image but have heeded the warnings this time and not done it.

I have searched and found out that couch flashing is this:

"You can use the Image Manager to download an image and then flash it (Couch flashing).
Blue > Vix > Image Manager > Yellow (Downloads) > "

which I think I should have no problems with.

But in terms of backup I have done a backup in Backup Manager (called Vix-re-4.2.021-20161222-0845.tar.gz)
And a backup in Image Manager

But how do I backup my Picons? I can't remember which ones I installed (not sure if I followed what was in the Openvix Manual or if I read a post on here and used the ones in that?)

twol
22-12-16, 14:14
So somewhere you have a picon folder which contains the picons.
Its probably in flash... usr/share/enigma2/picon or picon folder in root
So move it to a usb stick and delete original folder.
Enigma will find it in the new location.... then you don,t have to worry about backing them up

Tkr001
22-12-16, 19:05
Or change the settings backup to include your picons folder. You can add any location to the settings backup using ghe menu option.

abu baniaz
22-12-16, 19:09
To set a folder to be backed up too

Blue > Vix > Backup Manager > Menu > Yellow (Choose Files) > Highlight the folder > Select (yellow) > Green (save)

techygirl
23-12-16, 16:50
To set a folder to be backed up too

Blue > Vix > Backup Manager > Menu > Yellow (Choose Files) > Highlight the folder > Select (yellow) > Green (save)

Can I just confirm that anything I select here is in addition to a standard backup? (So just selecting Picons will not just back up picons but will do a standard backup and also picons)

twol
23-12-16, 16:53
Can I just confirm that anything I select here is in addition to a standard backup? (So just selecting Picons will not just back up picons but will do a standard backup and also picons)

Yes, its an "ADD" situation not a replacement unless you deselect files/folders

techygirl
23-12-16, 17:06
(Belt and braces) I backed up the picons onto a memory stick but was not brave enough to delete the folder. I then added them to a system backup.

So, I have downloaded the latest image (4.2.023) - presumably I just skip 4.2.022 ?

Do I just go into image manager and select it to 'restore'?

twol
23-12-16, 17:32
(Belt and braces) I backed up the picons onto a memory stick but was not brave enough to delete the folder. I then added them to a system backup.

So, I have downloaded the latest image (4.2.023) - presumably I just skip 4.2.022 ?

Do I just go into image manager and select it to 'restore'?
I like belts and braces ... much better,than do nothing:)
So Yes to your Q.

techygirl
23-12-16, 17:54
:)
Right, everything has stopped as there is a Juve match on (Supercoppa Italia) - daren't risk an update until that and the postmortem program has finished :D
Will resume later tonight.

abu baniaz
23-12-16, 18:04
If you look at the settings file in /etc/enigma2/ you will see what gets backed up during a backup process.

If you make changes to it, don't forget to stop Enigma2 before editing it.

There is a way to backup individual ipks so they are installed automatically afterwards . Not learnt how to do it yet.

techygirl
24-12-16, 09:14
Well that didn't go well.

Selected the .23 zipped file in image manager. It worked, sort of (got the flashing tool box with two bars on) Then it rebooted and then started from scratch (went through the wizard to set up but it couldn't find any tuners, etc)
I have just gone back in to restore the .21 image and everything is ok -

When using the flashing tool it came up with Bad blocks 4 (uncritical when no changes). - just done a search and I think this is normal?

So did it again. Then went through the wizard and when it asked me to restore settings? I selected a backup from yesterday but does that mean I have just rolled back to a previous version?

Edit, no, checked information and I have .023 version now and everything looks fine.

Just trying to understand it all so what I have done is effectively by putting the new image on, I have started from scratch (hence why it goes through the start up wizard and then when it says restore E2 settings and restore a backup then that just puts all your customisation and settings on?

The first time I did this I mustn't have reinstalled a backup so that will be why I had no tuners.

Phew, another thing ticked off as far as me understanding and doing things for myself. :thumbsup:

(BTW excuse my ramblings but it helps me make sense of everything)

twol
24-12-16, 09:21
Well that didn't go well.

Selected the .23 zipped file in image manager. It worked, sort of (got the flashing tool box with two bars on) Then it rebooted and then started from scratch (went through the wizard to set up but it couldn't find any tuners, etc)
I have just gone back in to restore the .21 image and everything is ok -

When using the flashing tool it came up with Bad blocks 4 (uncritical when no changes). - just done a search and I think this is normal?

So did it again. Then went through the wizard and when it asked me to restore settings? I selected a backup from yesterday but does that mean I have just rolled back to a previous version?

Edit, no, checked information and I have .023 version now and everything looks fine.

Just trying to understand it all so what I have done is effectively by putting the new image on, I have started from scratch (hence why it goes through the start up wizard and then when it says restore E2 settings and restore a backup then that just puts all your customisation and settings on?

The first time I did this I mustn't have reinstalled a backup so that will be why I had no tuners.

Phew, another thing ticked off as far as me understanding and doing things for myself. :thumbsup:

(BTW excuse my ramblings but it helps me make sense of everything)

Yes, couch flash gives you a clean, complete new image (which is why I prefer it to software update)
If you go image manager and hit the menu key, you can change one of the settings to automatically run a backup before running the image flash .....can be very useful, and this backup should be top of the list when the wizard locates the backups for settings restore.
It will also ask if you want to restore all plugins... this is usually,OK unless there is a major release change!

techygirl
24-12-16, 09:33
Yes, couch flash gives you a clean, complete new image (which is why I prefer it to software update)
If you go image manager and hit the menu key, you can change one of the settings to automatically run a backup before running the image flash .....can be very useful, and this backup should be top of the list when the wizard locates the backups for settings restore.
It will also ask if you want to restore all plugins... this is usually,OK unless there is a major release change!

Just checked and it is already set to yes for automatic settings backup. The only thing with that is that if I mess it up like I did and don't restore the settings (so get a blank setup) then when I redo it I need to make sure that I don't use the latest backup :D

twol
24-12-16, 10:47
Just checked and it is already set to yes for automatic settings backup. The only thing with that is that if I mess it up like I did and don't restore the settings (so get a blank setup) then when I redo it I need to make sure that I don't use the latest backup :D
Yep, correct .... which is why I usually do a manual settings backup ..... butnthen I run a lot of image builds and image flashes each week:)

Piranha
24-12-16, 10:53

You're getting there! Just to be clear, as the menu nomenclature in Menu/Setup/ViX can be misleading - Backup Manager allows you to create and restore Settings backups (Might be better to call this Settings Backup Manager).

Image Manager allows you to create and restore Image backups, plus download newly available image versions.

In each case the time/date stamp is appended to the name of the backup, so it's easy to get back to where one started if there is an issue with a new image version. If in doubt, always make both settings and image backups before any update, including the times when you use the Software Update feature.

Good luck!

IAmATeaf
25-12-16, 11:33

You can also manually restore a settings backup if you've skipped restoring at the wizard prompt so no need to go through the entire reflash process.

ccs
25-12-16, 11:42
It you're only using wifi, the first settings restore will not restore plugins, as there will be no internet connection.
After the (automatic) reboot, simply restore settings again, and the plugins will come in because wifi is now configured.

fowleronline
02-01-17, 09:12
I thought it was something I had done wrong!
I also have an ET8500 that will not load beyond the Xtrend logo after a failed update that crashed part way through.
I am pretty new to all this and have no experience of the OS and a lot of the terminology, so my apologies if my comments are wooly.
My box is about 6 months old, I have updated it up to November I think, then it has been out of use while some work was done on the house. I put it back on yesterday and connected via a wireless USB (prior to that it had been wired) - everything was working fine.
After a couple of hours running, and viewing various channels without issue, I set the online update to download and install. I did a full backup before starting. The report came back that there were 89 updates and I set it to install and reboot.
Some dialogue came up saying updating, and an unreadable line of text under it, which I took as it had crashed at that point, a matter of seconds. I left it for 3 hours or so, before powering off (nothing else worked).
When it came on I had only the Xtrend logo.
So, I gather I need to reflash using a usb. I presume I cannot get at my backup until a working image is installed.
So... Is there a specific build I need to find for my ET8500 that will avoid it crashing?
Is there an idiots guide to reflashing an ET8500 or are the instructions generic?
Thanks in advance.
Martin

fowleronline
02-01-17, 10:11
I can't find out how to edit the above post, so I'm now back up and running.
It took a while, but I found the image I needed via the vix images link at the top of this page, from there I found a link to the installation guide for my box. I downloaded both and followed the instructions, to get my image back. Then the wizard offered me to restore my backup from a list of backups, including my backup from yesterday. I did this and in a very short time all is working again.
I said I was new at the start and this is probably all very obvious to you guys, but to me it's all very unfamiliar. I posted this extra bit just to help those like me who find this thread in the future, and are at the bottom of the steep learning curve like I am.
The site is great with lots of support, it just takes time to learn the language!
Thanks again.

twol
02-01-17, 10:43
You don,t need to update for every version change only when you either feel like it or need a new feature.
Although many people use the software update process, I never do, prefering to use the function in ImageManager to download an image from the feeds, then flash the image online using ImageManager.
This gives you a clean image and on reboot allows you to restore settings (previously backed up!) and plugins.
Its also a very fast process with (in my view) less risk of "accidents":)