PDA

View Full Version : [MB Premium Micro] Beware - Doesn't boot after upgrading to latest available image

imish
21-12-16, 10:58
Doesn't boot after upgrading to latest available image via feeds

Sicilian
21-12-16, 11:31
No need to spam the forum after you read the force read here! http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54691-OpenViX-build-4-2-022-Please-read!

Rob van der Does
21-12-16, 11:34
I didn't even try to update online, as there was a warning about possible issues, but I flashed instead. All seems to be fine after the flash and complete restore.

imish
21-12-16, 11:41
No need to spam the forum after you read the force read here! http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54691-OpenViX-build-4-2-022-Please-read!

How is it Spam, simply notifying others. :confused:

As for your link - I don't see the VU solo or Miracle Ultra nor the Micro listed there - perhaps the team should consider pulling the release for all effected boxes.

Thanks for your response anyway - I am trying to recover the boxes by refreshing and restoring which is a significant inconvenience especially with two boxes remote.

Sicilian
21-12-16, 11:43
How is it Spam, simply notifying others. :confused:

As for your link - I don't see the VU solo or Miracle Ultra nor the Micro listed there - perhaps the team should consider pulling the release for all effected boxes.

Thanks for your response anyway - I am trying to recover the boxes by refreshing and restoring which is a significant inconvenience especially with two boxes remote.

I think you should go an re-read the post! THERE ARE TWO ISSUES!

Oh sorry about the inconvenience for something that is provided free of charge :rolleyes:

Rob van der Does
21-12-16, 11:46
There was a warning out; else I would have updated online as well. I'm glad I had been warned: flashing is safe, simple and superfast :)

imish
21-12-16, 11:51
I think you should go an re-read the post! THERE ARE TWO ISSUES!

Oh sorry about the inconvenience for something that is provided free of charge :rolleyes:

OK - missed it then. As a general user the comms failed me - we have our boxes setup to detect a software update (stable feed) and we trigger an online update - shame that this capability has resulted in bricking 3 boxes - I will eventually get the boxes running however this is a major inconvenience.

As for free of charge - appreciate all the effort genuinely do, its a great piece of software when operational which is why I have stuck to it for all our boxes for 4 years - however this is not the 1st time the upgrade process has let me down - my comments should be considered as constructive criticism as that is how they are meant.

I urge the team to think about the experience from us general users who are not experts.

Sicilian
21-12-16, 11:58
OK - missed it then. As a general user the comms failed me - we have our boxes setup to detect a software update (stable feed) and we trigger an online update - shame that this capability has resulted in bricking 3 boxes - I will eventually get the boxes running however this is a major inconvenience.

The boxes are NOT bricked, bricked is when they are totally broken and can not be recovered with a USB flash. Pointless setting to unstable as issue would still be there for next online update.

however this is not the 1st time the upgrade process has let me down

Well you should be experienced enough to know to only upgrade one box at a time.

I urge the team to think about the experience from us general users who are not experts.

The only was round this would have been to create OpenViX 4.3! This would mean another full set of online update feeds. More HDD space filled on update servers which is starting to run short of HDD space as it is, but if you'd like to purchase us a larger dedicated feeds server we would be grateful. Will only cost £1000 or more per year :) You fancy making an extremely large donation to cover this cost? :)

Rob van der Does
21-12-16, 12:02
'Innocent' users are the only people we care about, and think about all the time. And we always do our utmost to prevent accidents, hence our current separated test and public environment. But accidents do happen, no matter how careful drivers we are.

bellejt
21-12-16, 12:06
I have learned to wait a week before updating :smash:

Rob van der Does
21-12-16, 12:11
So how do you manage that when there are more than 1 updates in a weeks time?

I always wait 7 seconds. But I always have settings and image backup handy (although I only have to use them very seldom).

imish
21-12-16, 12:22
So how do you manage that when there are more than 1 updates in a weeks time?

I always wait 7 seconds. But I always have settings and image backup handy (although I only have to use them very seldom).

how do you deal with boxes that are remote?

Rob van der Does
21-12-16, 12:25
Three options:
1- don't update. There is seldom a need to update.
2- go over there, update the box, have a chat and a beer.
3- flash (via Image manager) instead of updating. Could also go wrong, but is less likely to fail.

bellejt
21-12-16, 12:31
updating a box that works fine is optional.No problems so and saying if it aint broke don't ment it.

imish
21-12-16, 12:46
Three options:
1- don't update. There is seldom a need to update.
2- go over there, update the box, have a chat and a beer.
3- flash (via Image manager) instead of updating. Could also go wrong, but is less likely to fail.

Effectively remote update isn't advisable - Thanks for the clarification - i'll bear this in mind from now on. Lesson learnt the hard way.

ronand
21-12-16, 14:41
I doubt remotely updating a receiver was ever advised. I would imagine a small bit of thought would reveal the inconvenience of something going wrong. You shouldn't expect everything to work as expected 100% of the time - its an experimental system for enthusiasts and developed free of charge.

Andy_Hazza
22-12-16, 06:55
In instances like this, all you need to do is;
Blue button > ViX >Backup manager > Green button to save a Backup. Exit.
Image Manager > Yellow button (downloads) > (Select the latest image) and Green button (download). Once downloaded, either press the Red button (close) or press Exit.
Your downloaded image will now be listed, proceed to Restore by highlighting the downloaded image and pressing the Blue button. This is couch flashing (another words like doing a usb flash).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk