PDA

View Full Version : UHD Receivers HLG query

aido
08-12-16, 13:07
Hi,

The BBC have a HLG (hybrid log gamme) test channel on 19.2e currently and so far the only TV I've heard of that decodes HLG is the Panasonic CZ952 OLED.

Do the Mutant HD51 or Vu+ 4k boxes understand HLG and output it as HDR10 or do they just pass it straight through?

If anyone has a Mutant HD51 or Vu 4k box with a motorised setup and a 4K TV that supports HDR could you please try it and see if the TV reports a HDR signal?

I think these are the current details:
Satellite: Astra 1M at 19.2°E
Transponder: 49
Frequency: 10.714
Polarization: Horizontal
SR: 23500
FEC: 3/4
Modulation: 8PSK
Coverage: Europe

Thanks in advance

twol
08-12-16, 16:17
Well I can pick it up - comes up as has 4K HEVC and looks pretty nice on my 4K UHD monitor ... but not sure what else I can say:) also NRJ UHD TV test station on that transponder

aido
08-12-16, 18:17
Thanks @twol - basically BBC launched a test HLG clip of Planet Earth 2 today on iPlayer in the UK but it only works on Panasonic TVs currently.

It is sounding like there's a query as to whether HLG should flag HDR or not though - the HLG test channel is running a loop of the LG Cymatic Jazz demo and like you say a recording of it looks great on my LG OLED but it's not as bright as when the HDR10 version of the same demo is played.

Early days I guess and no one seems to know at the moment whether HLG channels will actually flag up a HDR flag on the TV or not.

Stanman
08-12-16, 18:30
Read on AVF won't as no flag for it, whether temp or permanent issur no idea.

Watched it on my inbuilt app and roll on HLG

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Trial
08-12-16, 20:37
Hi,
from what I read are VUs now playing HDR files but still no HDR on broadcasts. No UHD TV so I cannot test.

ciao

aido
08-12-16, 21:05
I've seen quite a few HDR10 rips popping up the last couple of weeks, they're huge though at around 70GB a piece!

DaMacFunkin
08-12-16, 21:26
They are not all brilliant and there is some question as to are they just pseudo.
The HDR information is being injected with integral HD fury, but the question is are they inserting generic HDR or are they able to read the original metadata out, I think the first one.

DaMacFunkin
08-12-16, 21:36
Just to add that the BBC will probably have to release it in HDR10 on iplayer as to the terms of their licence where they have to support all available platforms, I don't think they can deliver content exclusively to one brand no matter what the logistics of it are, all HDR equipment has to support HDR10 at base and I would be very supprised if HDR 10 isn't supported.
P.s. I need to get round to watching The Grand Tour in HDR now my TV has had the Amazon HDR update, it is supposed to be superb.

Stanman
08-12-16, 21:38
It is, am glad I subbed to Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk