PDA

View Full Version : How Plug & Play Is This Stuff?

Pete Cleave
06-12-16, 19:38
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so have started posing a few questions in the appropriate sections.

I've been using Humax Foxsat HDR for 8+ years and am looking to change because it's started to play up a bit. I'm eyeing the VU+ Ultimo 4K (for 'future proofing') and am wondering how plug and play these boxes are. I'm IT savvy, have played with XBMC/Kodi for a few years so don't mind spending time configuring stuff to get it right, but don't want the pain of SWMBO giving me grief if it's not going to be as reliable, simple or intuitive as the Humax has been.

I like the thought of the nice look and feel along with a snappy EPG and channel changing... but it needs to be reliable :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

twol
06-12-16, 20:09
Once you get over the fact that its different and that you have to actually make some decisions about what goes on the receiver and how you configure for your environment its actually for an IT savvy guy pretty logical and straight forward. If you have linux knowledge thats pretty useful, but I hadn,t touched linux until I started going this way ... so not a big deal:)

If you go with the Ultimo, then you need to bone up on fbc and unicable :)

For me one of the advantages is that you can actually tailor the look and feel to suit you .... and there are loads of plugins that do various things.

Pete Cleave
06-12-16, 20:18
Thanks twol. I've posted in another thread (Solo 4K) re Unicable so I'm sure I'll get some good advice there too.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Trial
07-12-16, 09:11
Hi,
unicable I or II is not needed for a start but if you have more than 1 sat you are watching and you record a lot then you should think about it. I have the "old" Solo4K and 99% of my programs are on horizontal high/low so that the dual FBC tuner in my 4K can record up to 8 channels with a normal LNB and cable.

If you are using/needing pay TV you should inform yourself a bit more intens. SKY for instance is limited on all E2 boxes.

Once you got used to E2 you will love it I think:-)

ciao

Pete Cleave
07-12-16, 09:54
Thanks for the tip re high/low and normal LNB. I'll Google for a list of channels and see if it's worth me swapping. Not interested in Sky as I tend to get that from 'other sources'.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk