PDA

View Full Version : 4 02 020 & Openwebif

vuesolo
06-12-16, 09:47
Ok Guys finally managed to get my Solo 2 working with image 4 02 020 and mgcamd.

Now keen to get openwebif working as it was great being able to schedule recordings from work, from my understanding it is only possible if I set up a home VPN, hence next question, how di o set up a home VPN? cheers

DaMacFunkin
06-12-16, 10:24
You don't have to set up a vpn, that is the way to make it more secure.
Notice the more because nothing is completely secure.

vuesolo
06-12-16, 10:34

Oh really...please enlighted...im really keen to get reconnected again. cheers

vuesolo
07-12-16, 11:44

Hellooo.......anyone care to share this knowledge....I'm waiting in anticipation :)

imish
07-12-16, 20:12
in order to keeps your network secure VPN is your best bet. plenty of posts on the forum around how to set this up - if you want to setup OpenVPN on the STB itself then it can be done however not that straight forward - again plenty of info on the forum.

Enjoy.

panch
07-12-16, 22:02
In order to make an insecure connection to OpenWebIf, go into your router and forward port 80 to the IP address of your STB.

Then you should be able to go to http://your.external.ip and get directly to the OpenWebIf interface.
Be aware that this is not very secure, and as a new security feature from OpenVix is that you now have to setup a password for your root account in order to access OpenWebIf from the outside.
You can do this by ssh'ing into the STB and change the blank password. You should be able to find info on this elsewhere if you are not sure about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vuesolo
08-12-16, 10:11
In order to make an insecure connection to OpenWebIf, go into your router and forward port 80 to the IP address of your STB.

Then you should be able to go to http://your.external.ip and get directly to the OpenWebIf interface.
Be aware that this is not very secure, and as a new security feature from OpenVix is that you now have to setup a password for your root account in order to access OpenWebIf from the outside.
You can do this by ssh'ing into the STB and change the blank password. You should be able to find info on this elsewhere if you are not sure about this.

Hi panch thanks for responding, I used to have openwebif working perfectly from outside my wifi network before, I had already forwarded the ports in my router. As you say I shall try and setup the password in my Solo2, I do know its currently blank, wish me luck, cheers

Oh also upgraded to vix 4.02.021 now. and have the non rewind timshift problem too.

panch
08-12-16, 10:18
Good luck, but also be sure that you have enabled HTTP authorization in the OpenWebIf settings page in the plugins

vuesolo
08-12-16, 10:52
Is this the correct method of setting the password Panch?

Using DCC, telnet into solo 2, then Type:
'Root' then hit enter
you should see a ~#
Type 'passswd' ( exactly like that ) then type your new password and hit enter followed by the new password again dont be alarmed if nothing shows as you type it's still working.

Rob van der Does
08-12-16, 11:23
I would also like to draw your attention to the information in

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/28532-merge-requests-for-plis-git/?view=findpost&p=625948
just to make you aware of some security issues.

vuesolo
08-12-16, 11:36
I would also like to draw your attention to the information in

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/28532-merge-requests-for-plis-git/?view=findpost&p=625948
just to make you aware of some security issues.

Thanks Rob,

Is my password set routine above the correct method?

panch
08-12-16, 13:16
It looks correct yes[emoji39]

vuesolo
08-12-16, 22:08
It looks correct yes[emoji39]

Hi Panch just done as you said and can happily confirm I now have openwebif and Deamote on my iPhone both working remotely out of wifi area.

Many thanks once again, and I am now a happy man :)

birdman
08-12-16, 23:22
Thanks Rob,

Is my password set routine above the correct method?Not quite.
You type root (accounts are case-sensitive) and the command is passwd (2 s's not 3).

vuesolo
09-12-16, 09:26
Not quite.
You type root (accounts are case-sensitive) and the command is passwd (2 s's not 3).

Oh yeah, never noticed that, I'll amend the original post, cheers

joysleep1
01-03-17, 10:39

Hi
I want to upgrade but have this problem with accessing openwebif from remote location. Can you explain exactly how to change the password.
Thanks