PDA

View Full Version : New build house, no signal

Wingding86
06-12-16, 09:38
My girlfriend has just moved into a new house which at the minute doesn't have any satellite or Ariels set up yet. Dish being installed later in week. She has an Ariel and distribution amp which had been set up in her old house in the attic and worked the TVs in the 3 bedrooms while the dish worked the living room.
For whatever reason In the new house the Ariel doesn't work or pick up signal inside like the old house, (there's less than a mile distance between houses). Each room has an Ariel point in the walls and I've found the four cables rolled up in the attic.

Question is: when the satellite dish is finally set up, it will obviously run a dual coax cable into box in living room, can I buy another cable and fit to the remaining openings on the lnb and run into the distro amp, and then connect the cables which must run into the wall points?
Secondly:
Will be buying her one of the receivers from the forum sponsor as well In the new year as soon as I can decide which one to go for, (keep changing mind, too many good choices) am I best getting a bigger lnb onto the dish to then feed this as well as everything else, or try sticking an extra dish up myself? Or is there a much easier option?

Only found this new interest about 4 months ago, and trying to learn as much as poss.

Cheers for any help.

duoduo
06-12-16, 21:59
Not sure about your first question buddy, but you can invest into a quad lnb and this will do what you need it to, cheaper than buying new kit.

Wingding86
06-12-16, 22:33
Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
07-12-16, 01:15
You said there are four cables in the loft. Do they go to four different rooms?

Wingding86
07-12-16, 02:01
You said there are four cables in the loft. Do they go to four different rooms?

Yeah they go into the 4 different rooms. Just need cut at the end In attic and connector put on.

One was cut and connector put on which is how we were able to plug into disto amp and move Ariel around before realising it wasn't working like before.

judge
07-12-16, 03:57
Yeah they go into the 4 different rooms. Just need cut at the end In attic and connector put on.

One was cut and connector put on which is how we were able to plug into disto amp and move Ariel around before realising it wasn't working like before.

SKY installer did the same in my folks house, cut 4 aerial feeds to replace them with quad LNB feeds.
A pain to sort afterwards & I'd still like to punch him in the face.

DaMacFunkin
07-12-16, 07:49
If the distro amp is for terrestrial surely that won't be able to handle a satellite feed.

Wingding86
07-12-16, 09:32
I'm not sure, I just assumed/hoped it would be the same. One cable goes into the uhf and 4 come out.

Wingding86
07-12-16, 09:33
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/ac63c5e06911a4ca02f0c66407c09989.jpg

Maybe really showing my ignorance here, but would that wee bad boy not just be able to be screwed into the cables coming from dish if getting the bigger lnb and then into loft cables?

abu baniaz
07-12-16, 09:49
To summarise....

You want to add twin cable direct to front room
You want to run cable from LNB to loft.
You want to remove aerial functionality and add satellite functionality to two rooms using the wires that already there

twol
07-12-16, 09:58
... and just to add to Abu,s list ...
What type of cable is currently installed to the rooms ... perhaps a picture might clarify.

Wingding86
07-12-16, 10:24
Front room will be ok as the cables from dish will go there and when I get the new receiver I'll just switch from sky box to it. But yeah in general have satellite functionality without sticking loads of holes in walls or ceilings. I've asked her to take a pic of the cables and send them.

abu baniaz
07-12-16, 11:02
Those barrels will allow you to connect the wires from LNB to wires going to the rooms. The simplest option is to do that.

You can also add combiners/diplexers. You can have satellite and terrestrial down the same wire. Limited to one satellite tuner.

Another option is to use the remote stream channel converter plugin. So have one receiver with the satellite tuners, and another receiver access the channels over the network. Works better hard wired. Even watch the channels on the phone tablet wherever you are in the house.

Wingding86
07-12-16, 11:17
Cheers mate, I'll have a look into those

twol
07-12-16, 11:56
Abu,s suggestions are pretty good but as long as you have sat cables going to the rooms, I would be tempted to buy a Emp-centauri multiswitch such as MS5/4PIU-4 or 8PIU-4 to which you can add the terrestial input.
Also because its switchable, you can take a quad or quattro lnb (but you have to known which is fitted!)

Wingding86
07-12-16, 12:19
Turns out that whoever built all the houses, didn't connect the wires from loft into Ariel points as per pic. This is from living room. There were actually 5 cables in loft, 2 were taped together. Does it matter which ones go in where?

Wingding86
07-12-16, 12:20
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/48129baecd13bb697d818aea66299496.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/db237dfe3fa9108176862ef436a3ba15.jpg

abu baniaz
07-12-16, 12:33
Do the other rooms have the same?

You will have to trace/identify the cables. They've obviously invested in running cables.

Wingding86
07-12-16, 12:36
I've asked her to get her dad to have a look behind. He reckons there will only be one cable behind each point in the other rooms

twol
07-12-16, 14:37
There were actually 5 cables in loft, 2 were taped together. Does it matter which ones go in where?

So what happened to the 5th cable? Picture shows 4?
If 2 were taped together may (?) imply both go to one room - but that could be wishful thinking!

Wingding86
07-12-16, 14:39
I've no idea mate, going to have to swing by after work and try and start pulling to see if there's any movement and also what is behind the other aerial sockets I. Bedrooms