PDA

View Full Version : Can vu+solo 4k be used with existing single cable and LNB with motor

ALIEN1X
04-12-16, 21:52
Hi, have an old set up of single sat cable from reciever connected to single LNB which connects to motor.

If I was to upgrade to VU+ SOLO 4K can I just swap the receiver and still use existing single cable and lnb + motor using USALS?

Can I loop tuner A internally to the second tuner B ? I know one should use 2 cables but I really do not want to mess about with more cables and drilling more holes

I Understand that to make use of the FBC tuners one needs to change to compatible LNB, but which one if connected to motor and can I still keep the exiting single cable?

DaMacFunkin
04-12-16, 23:22
Yes you can use existing LNB and Motor, no need to loop on FBC any available transponders at any given time will be available automatically via one cable.
For example just to avoid confusion, if you are tuned to a transponder on Tuner A and it is in reach of another transponder, that will automatically become available on Tuner C etc.

ALIEN1X
05-12-16, 20:13
Yes you can use existing LNB and Motor, no need to loop on FBC any available transponders at any given time will be available automatically via one cable.
For example just to avoid confusion, if you are tuned to a transponder on Tuner A and it is in reach of another transponder, that will automatically become available on Tuner C etc.
Thanks, I asked because I have heard that anyone buying this receiver has to change the LNB to unicable or it will not work?

Also noted it runs OSCAM but not compatible with CCCAM ?

abu baniaz
05-12-16, 20:29
To get the most of it, you need a unicable LNB.

I hope you realise that you will have viewing restrictions using a standard LNB.

Unicable LNBs cannot be used on motorised systems. they were not designed for it.

twol
05-12-16, 21:24
I think we need some clarity on this fbc issue because the responses have been totally confusing.
We currently have a fbc solution from one vendor that gives advantages in some situations, but it is (in my view) very specific.
Can someone (without bias) specify what works in which environment (single lnb, motorised dish, multiple lnb,s) because depending on the setup (in my view) there are different solutions/costs that need to be taken into account.
... and Yes, I am wiling to be convinced on fbc as a realistic solution if someone can give me an answer on the above 3 situations.

abu baniaz
05-12-16, 21:58
Incorrect information deleted

twol
05-12-16, 22:31
Many thanks for this clear summary

Rob van der Does
06-12-16, 05:55
To add about Unicable: there is quite a difference in a Unicable LNB (explained above) and a Unicable switch. The latter combines the outputs of two Quattro LNB's to one coax. See e.g.
http://umutelectronica.nl/product/inverto-unicable-switch/
That example is a Unicable II switch; there are alos Unicable (I) switches.

BTW: I wouldn't know why a Unicable LNB couldn't be used in a motorised setup? I know I have been doing that, albeit years ago.

Rob van der Does
06-12-16, 06:15
Some more about the Unicable switch: they can be put in cascade, so more than 8 tuners can be fed:

abu baniaz
06-12-16, 06:25
So we have taken thread from unicable LNB to quattro LNB. How would a quattro LNB be used in a motorised system?

Rob van der Does
06-12-16, 08:25
Well, I was suggesting to use a Unicable LNB in the motorised dish (as I did years ago), not the quattro.

The Quattro's are fine in a fixed dish setup in combination with a Unicable switch.

abu baniaz
06-12-16, 08:31
can you show what the tuner configuration should be on a motorised dish with unicable lnb please?

thanks in advance.

Rob van der Does
06-12-16, 12:08
What it should be, and what it was at the time I used it, was "USALS/Unicable/SCR-X" for the tuner with has the coax connected, and "Unicable/SCR-Y/Connected to other tuner" for the other tuner.
I can't test if this actually still works (although I can't see why E2 would have been crippled since then) as my actual motor has no Unicable LNB.

Pete Cleave
06-12-16, 19:28
Some more about the Unicable switch: they can be put in cascade, so more than 8 tuners can be fed:

I found a link to that switch today - http://www.inverto.tv/products/product.php?id=322. Could someone please confirm my understanding of the functionality.

I currently have 2 Humax Foxsat boxes, one of which is starting to play up so I'm in the market for a replacement. I've been looking at VU+ Ultimo 4K specs with the FBC tuner(s). I have a standard '4 port' (quad LNB, not quattro I believe? Isn't quattro for commercial installations, like apartments?) with only 3 feeds used - 2 to a box in the living room and 1 to another box in the bedroom. Rather than have to change my LNB, would I be able to feed this switch from the current LNB and then in turn feed the Ultimo FBC and legacy Humax tuner and obtain the FBC functionality (i.e. multiple vurtual tuners) from the Ultimo?

Thanks

twol
06-12-16, 20:24
Have a look at the spaun sus 5581/33 NF (thanks to Arcy for finding it!) ... which supports either quad and quattro lnb,s (via switch setting - forces the quad to act like a quattro) can be setup with 2 outputs as legacy and 1 for fbc ..... gives you an alternative to Inverto.
Quattro is used in many environments not just commercial:)
I run 2 quattro lnb,s into a EMP multiswitch which gives me 16 outputs.... IF (!) I move to fbc, then I will probably plugin the spaun to my existing setup ...... not cheap but I can,t afford to mess up my setup with Inverto lnb,s that are absolutely useless in my marginal environment :)

Pete Cleave
06-12-16, 20:33
Fancy seeing you here!

I'll check it out, thanks . So will the switch in the link operate as I described?

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

ALIEN1X
06-12-16, 21:43
To get the most of it, you need a unicable LNB.

I hope you realise that you will have viewing restrictions using a standard LNB.

Unicable LNBs cannot be used on motorised systems. they were not designed for it.

As I have a motorised set up then FBC tuner with standard Universal LNB and single cable from tuner to Lnb and motor should work - yes?
And I assume if I had a VU+UNO 4K it will allow dual recording or watch one and record one ? And what are the viewing restrictions Mentioned?
The fbc tunners come with the 4k boxes and run only OSCAM but not ccam, so what the work around that?

Rob van der Does
06-12-16, 21:58
I found a link to that switch today - http://www.inverto.tv/products/product.php?id=322. Could someone please confirm my understanding of the functionality.

I currently have 2 Humax Foxsat boxes, one of which is starting to play up so I'm in the market for a replacement. I've been looking at VU+ Ultimo 4K specs with the FBC tuner(s). I have a standard '4 port' (quad LNB, not quattro I believe? Isn't quattro for commercial installations, like apartments?) with only 3 feeds used - 2 to a box in the living room and 1 to another box in the bedroom. Rather than have to change my LNB, would I be able to feed this switch from the current LNB and then in turn feed the Ultimo FBC and legacy Humax tuner and obtain the FBC functionality (i.e. multiple vurtual tuners) from the Ultimo?

No: the switch needs to be fed with a quatro-lnb.
The link you provided shows it....
Be aware: the switch you linked to can only handle one quatro-LNB (so for one satellite position only), so in that case a Unicable LNB would be the better (cheaper) option.

Pete Cleave
06-12-16, 23:30
Fancy seeing you here!

I'll check it out, thanks . So will the switch in the link operate as I described?

So would you be able to indicate what I'd need to connect to each connection..

Arcy
07-12-16, 00:36
It would be simpler to use the plain SUS 5581 F model. This accepts a set of quattro LNB inputs on the top side (plus a terrestrial antenna feed if required) and outputs them all on the bottom side for forwarding to other equipment. The other connections are the Unicable output (with eight RF channels), an earth connection and a power connection, though the power connection is not required if LNB volts are being fed through from another device downstream -- in my picture, from a multiswitch via the white cables. Connection details and Unicable frequencies are clearly marked on the label.

Pete Cleave
07-12-16, 09:55
When you say quattro inputs does that go for quad as well if the standard F model is switchable too?

Rob van der Does
07-12-16, 10:58
Quattro is not quad.
A quattro LNB has 4 outputs; one for each 'quadrant. This means the (unicable) switch can output every single transponder to the receivers, independent of each other. In fact there are 4 LNB's inside, each fixed to one 'quadrant'.
A quad LNB has 4 outputs, each serving just one tuner. In fact there are 4 independant universal LNB's in one house.

Pete Cleave
07-12-16, 11:08
Thanks Rob. Understand that but the Spaun switch referred to by twol is capable of using both quad and quattro.

twol
07-12-16, 11:34
Thanks Rob. Understand that but the Spaun switch referred to by twol is capable of using both quad and quattro.

Because for a quad, a switch setting sends a 22khtz signal to 2 of the ports to force high band , so effectively it becomes a quattro with vh,vl,hh,hl ports ..... my emp centauri multiswitch does the same which is kind of useful as I currently have a quad on my 28.2E dish (the previous quattro lnb kind of burnt out in our very hot 2015 summer 30+C - and I had a spare quad)

abu baniaz
11-12-16, 15:45

Rob van der Does
11-12-16, 18:49
EDIT:
I have tried to simulate a tuner configuration with a unicable LNB used for simple/single/motorised. I could not do so.
But I take it you didn't stick at 'simple'?

abu baniaz
11-12-16, 18:54
Please post a screenshot of the settings to use.

Rob van der Does
11-12-16, 20:03
I have no FBC tuners.

abu baniaz
11-12-16, 20:11

ALIEN1X
11-12-16, 20:22
Thanks, I asked because I have heard that anyone buying this receiver has to change the LNB to unicable or it will not work?

Also noted it runs OSCAM but not compatible with CCCAM ?

I have another question,
There are not a lot of reviews on VU+UNO 4K, what are the pros and cons between solo 4k and this model, is it just the extra tuner and display screen?

As it has a FBC tunner, what will be the viewing or sat channels restrictions when scanning as some have mentioned something about bandwidths which can cause limitations of somekind?

As it has 1 x Twin FBC S2 tunner will the UNIO 4K allow me to dual record or record 1 and watch one with single cable, lnb and motor as mentioned before?

I really need to have a clear understanding on above before buying as I found out that all 4K receiver are FBC tuners that you can not use motors.

Rob van der Does
11-12-16, 20:40
I stated that you cannot use a Unicable LNB in a motorised setup. You said it can. If it can, it will be beneficial of you to show how this is achieved.
What I said, is that I did use it in the past, that I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be possible any more and that I can't test it atm as I have no Unicable LNB in my motor.
Anyway: the settings allow you to do it, as can be seen in these screenies:

51681 51680

But be aware: this is a dummy setup; someone who has an Unicable LNB should try if the loopthrough will actually work.
And I really don't understand the confusion: the setup is basically the same as any Unicable setup for a fixed dish, but I thought that came from the FBCspecific setup.

Rob van der Does
11-12-16, 20:51
In my opinion, you are wasting your money buying a receiver with an FBC tuner if you are going to connect one cable from a motorised dish.
Well, I dare to differ from your opinion. Not using the full potential of all the hardware isn't directly 'wasting money'. How much of the potential of your PC/laptop do you actually use? Speaking for myself, it can only be a few percent. And I haven't wasted penny.
And especially FBC tuners with two inputs are almost begging for a motor: one (preferable multisat) JESS feed for most of the (virtual) tuners and a motor for one or 2.
But even just one motor to one feed gives you already a nice box, presuming you mostly use one satellite position (e.g. 28.2E for normal use using a Unicable LNB and the option to watch other satellites on occasion).

abu baniaz
11-12-16, 21:12
The guy said he does not want to run another cable or drill holes for his motorised setup.

I stand corrected. You can set a unicable LNB on a motor (irrespective of DVB-S tuner type).

Huevos
11-12-16, 21:29
Unicable LNB can be set up on a motor via "Advanced".

Unicable LNBs are designed for communal systems on fixed dishes, and motors are for individual systems, so there is absolutely no advantage to be gained by strapping a Unicable LNB to a motorised dish.

Using a Unicable LNB on a motor, and feeding an FBC tuner will give you no benefit greater than using a Universal LNB on a conventional tuner. In my opinion it is a nonsense setup.

Rob van der Does
11-12-16, 22:04
Of course it does: the looped through tuner being able to only tune to a transponder in the same quadrant or in all quadrants makes quite a difference, irrespective of FBC or conventional tuner. And as I said: of course especially when normal viewing habits are limited to one satellite position.
And I would hardly call a fixed dish setup 'communal systems', especially when the setup is for one or two boxes (with multiple tuners) in one household.

Trial
12-12-16, 10:08
Hi Huevos,
even with motor it makes sense if you are a recording fan or you can use FCC. If you live in the UK you mainly will watch 28.2 and with FBC and one cable you are able to record up to 8 different transponder from one quadrant instead of only 1 with a normal LNB. In Germany 19.2 is the main sat. Of course with a motor it will not work to record on 28.2E, 19.2E and 4W at the same time.

Ralf

Rob van der Does
12-12-16, 11:23
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say all along. And that's why I used it (years ago), albeit with multiple conventional tuners.
And after all: a motorised dish is also a fixed dish a long as you watch only one position....