PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Auto timers

tomos
04-12-16, 19:13
Quick question is there an option in auto timers to highlight any auto timers that no longer generate a timer for example a series is now finished.

ccs
04-12-16, 19:54
Quick question is there an option in auto timers to highlight any auto timers that no longer generate a timer for example a series is now finished.I'm sure the answer is no (I've asked the same question), but it would be a really useful feature.

birdman
04-12-16, 19:59
I'm sure the answer is no (I've asked the same question), but it would be a really useful feature.It is no.
How can you tell there will be no future match?
An option to delete <n> days/weeks after the last add/change to an actual timer is logically possible, but there is no such concept as "the end of a series".

ccs
04-12-16, 20:05
It is no.
How can you tell there will be no future match?
An option to delete <n> days/weeks after the last add/change to an actual timer is logically possible, but there is no such concept as "the end of a series".Most series (the ones where such a feature would be handy) run on consecutive weeks, so flagging that there is no timer set would be a useful clue that a series has ended.
It would at least give you the chance of an educated guess that the autotimer is no longer needed.

It would also highlight when an autotimer has missed setting a timer, for whatever reason.

tomos
04-12-16, 20:13
I was thinking along the lines of just a simple highlight, to keep the auto timers to a minimum (house keeping) so the end user could manually delete old auto timers,, it could also act as an early warning indicator when channels alter the name of the Programme slightly ( new wheeler dealers to wheeler dealers)

birdman
04-12-16, 20:25
it could also act as an early warning indicator when channels alter the name of the Programme slightly ( new wheeler dealers to wheeler dealers)I always remove "New:" from any title in the AutoTimer matching (then set partial match).

tomos
04-12-16, 20:46
do you think there's any value in highlighting auto timers as described in earlier posts? Could it be added as a future feature?

jukkal2
04-12-16, 23:04
Most series (the ones where such a feature would be handy) run on consecutive weeks, so flagging that there is no timer set would be a useful clue that a series has ended.
It would at least give you the chance of an educated guess that the autotimer is no longer needed.

But the autotimer has no way of predicting whether there will be a new season after a while.

ccs
04-12-16, 23:20
But the autotimer has no way of predicting whether there will be a new season after a while.I realise that. I'm not bothered about a new season, I'll create a new autotimer if/when it is broadcast.
I much prefer to keep autotimers limited to active series, and not have them searching every 25 minutes for programmes that don't exist.
All I would like to see is an indication that a particular autotimer hasn't found any timers to set, and then I can decide whether to delete it or wait a while.

birdman
05-12-16, 01:50
All I would like to see is an indication that a particular autotimer hasn't found any timers to set, and then I can decide whether to delete it or wait a while.I have an AutoTimer that I want to run forever, but there are periods when it won't match anything for several weeks.
Perhaps a per-AT setting to mark as Obsolete (somehow) if it hasn't matched anything for <n> days (with 0 meaning ignore this setting).

birdman
05-12-16, 01:52
I much prefer to keep autotimers limited to active series, and not have them searching every 25 minutes for programmes that don't exist.But I doubt that the box will be doing anything else with the time that is saved. It shouldn't be heavily loaded.

ccs
05-12-16, 10:38
I have an AutoTimer that I want to run forever, but there are periods when it won't match anything for several weeks.
Perhaps a per-AT setting to mark as Obsolete (somehow) if it hasn't matched anything for <n> days (with 0 meaning ignore this setting).Sounds good if it can be done.

ccs
05-12-16, 10:44
But I doubt that the box will be doing anything else with the time that is saved. It shouldn't be heavily loaded.I'm sure you're right, I still live in a world where every bit of every byte can't be wasted.
Maybe in 20 years time when VIX is the size of the universe, my ET10K will be reliant on such a feature.:)

Stanman
05-12-16, 19:39
The simple solution is to disable the AT when the series finishes but then you will miss out when it starts.

I have over 30 AT and any watched timers brought up are disabled

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

ccs
05-12-16, 20:05
The simple solution is to disable the AT when the series finishes but then you will miss out when it starts.

I have over 30 AT and any watched timers brought up are disabled

Sent from my SM-N9005 using TapatalkIt's knowing that a series has finished that's the problem.
I know that you can disable AT's, but if you're (way) behind watching recordings, then looking for programmes that are no longer in the EPG can be a real pain.
If you don't find it, it's no guarantee that it's finished. After a week or 2, then it's more than likely, but you don't know that unless you check out the movie list as well.
And leaving AT's for ever is no guarantee that it will get picked up when a series starts up again - unless it's very open and set for any day and likely channels.

birdman
05-12-16, 21:36
I know that you can disable AT's, but if you're (way) behind watching recordings, then looking for programmes that are no longer in the EPG can be a real pain.You don't need to search the EPG - you just need to look in your recording for the latest one, and timers for any pending ones. If there are none then it's finished (usually...).

ccs
05-12-16, 22:52
If you delete an autotimer, it asks if you want to keep/delete any timers generated by it.

Maybe disabling an autotimer could do something similar, but just report the number of timers generated by it?

Even adding the option to delete the timers would probably work as the number of timers deleted is indicated, and re-enabling the autotimer would then recreate them if needed.

ccs
07-12-16, 11:48
Menu/Timers/Autotimers/Menu gives a "Preview Autotimer" option.

This appears to simply provide a list of all timers created for all autotimers.
Might it be possible to only show timers for the autotimer highlighted?

ccs
08-12-16, 20:01
OpenWebif/autotimers gives you a "Simulate" option which produces an alphabetic list of all timers created by autotimers.

This is much easier to scan thru' looking for defunct autotimers as the autotimer list is visible as well behind the popup.

Nearly there. (I've never used OpenWebif to manage the box, much preferring the more direct approach.)