PDA

View Full Version : [ET8500] Have to reboot via rear switch at back every morning!

danlou
02-12-16, 09:53
A friend has a Xtrend 8500 which is causing a couple of issues.

One is that when he puts the receiver in standby at night and each the morning he has to reboot by switching off and on at the back.
I understood that upgrading to a later version would resolve so I have upgraded to 4.2.020 as of last night and the problem reoccurs this morning.

There are no timers set up at all.

The second issue is IPTV Player: i have latest version and Vix logo hangs as busy when selecting stream. Virus safe and parental control disabled in router. Other boxes working fine such as Edison OSMINI but since upgrading to 4.2.020 not working on xtrend 8500

Any ideas welcome please.
thanks

danlou
02-12-16, 10:26
These are configured with DVB-Cable tuners....

twol
02-12-16, 10:41
standby or deep standby???

Would be worth turning on debug logs (assuming there are no crash logs???) ...make sure logs are not in flash!) and can be extracted
.. and then post logs here :)

EPG/ABM updated over night??? If so change times to day and see what happens

danlou
02-12-16, 10:54

Would be worth turning on debug logs (assuming there are no crash logs???) ...make sure logs are not in flash!) and can be extracted

ok, will arrange. Thanks
It's just standby from via red button on remote but will check with user as I'm sure he doesn't go through menu to put into deep standby. Thanks

twol
02-12-16, 11:31
ok, will arrange. Thanks
It's just standby from via red button on remote but will check with user as I'm sure he doesn't go through menu to put into deep standby. Thanks
I use standby all the time and don,t have an issue, but have seen issues on the forum before with plugins that wake up during the night and crash for some reason

danlou
02-12-16, 11:51
Thanks. Be interested to know if these issues are with satellite or cable variants but the pattern seems to be issues are only emerging with cable boxes. I have had no issues reported from Xtrend 8500 satellite users or certainly the standby symptom from above.
Will hopefully get some diagnostic tests carried out later and report back. Cheers

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

danlou
02-12-16, 18:53

It looks as though it's the EPG import. For some reason it's stuck on Loading data with Vix logo spinning continually....

danlou
02-12-16, 20:15
further investigation it seems hard disk drive is corrupt as tried to initialise but came back with 'journal' errors. Will contact W.O.S.

danlou
03-12-16, 12:32
Also have discovered that IPTV player does not work with 4.2.20 vix. Rolled back to a previous version and all ok.

twol
03-12-16, 12:44
There have been ffmpeg updates on the oe-a, so this could have impacted the plugin, in which case you are reliant on the author updating the plugin, not ViX :)

danlou
03-12-16, 13:59
Yes but latest version of IPTV PLAYER works, which I am running , with older version of Vix so can't be the application.
In other words it has to be Vix software

abu baniaz
03-12-16, 15:30
you need to tell the plugin author that his plugin does not work with updated ffmpeg.

techygirl
04-12-16, 10:13
My ET8500 still has the standby issue. I updated to 4.2.020 yesterday but this morning it would not switch on without using the rear switch to reboot. Mine has 2 sat tuners and an aerial tuner.

I will try the suggestion of changing the times of he EPG/ABM and see if that solves it.

twol
04-12-16, 10:34
My ET8500 still has the standby issue. I updated to 4.2.020 yesterday but this morning it would not switch on without using the rear switch to reboot. Mine has 2 sat tuners and an aerial tuner.

I will try the suggestion of changing the times of he EPG/ABM and see if that solves it.
Also set up logs, so if there is an issue, there is some information to look at:)

techygirl
04-12-16, 11:35
Also set up logs, so if there is an issue, there is some information to look at:)

I have just checked and I think that the log settings are ok (save to root and not HDD). I have just added my username and email address.
I have no crash logs, only debug logs - last one 28/11/16.
I have just tested it out with the latest debug log and it sends it to the Vix team as well as emails to me (just sent one by accident :confused: ) - is there any way to only send to me?

twol
04-12-16, 12:20
I have just checked and I think that the log settings are ok (save to root and not HDD). I have just added my username and email address.
I have no crash logs, only debug logs - last one 28/11/16.
I have just tested it out with the latest debug log and it sends it to the Vix team as well as emails to me (just sent one by accident :confused: ) - is there any way to only send to me?
Don,t save logs to root (flash memory) should go to hdd or usb
Better to post logs here in the forum - :)

As you have had a crash log, also turn on debug while this is sorted

danlou
04-12-16, 18:33
There have been ffmpeg updates on the oe-a, so this could have impacted the plugin, in which case you are reliant on the author updating the plugin, not ViX :)
Ok, but one would think that any newer updates would make things backward-compatible?

It's a bit like a word document written in Word 2010 software but then opened in a later release - it will still work...

Joe_90
04-12-16, 18:49
No - it's probably more like using Word 2010 (the plugin) to open a newer document. There may have been changes to the ffmpeg interface not catered for by the older plugin software.

twol
04-12-16, 18:54
Ok, but one would think that any newer updates would make things backward-compatible?

It's a bit like a word document written in Word 2010 software but then opened in a later release - it will still work...

You are right, "one would think" - unfortunately changes are made to improve the image and the oe-a base but plugins are written totally independant from this and therefore may be impacted and need changes to run:)

alexk18
05-12-16, 20:32
I've been getting this exact same problem with my satellite version of et8500. decided to turn off hdmi cec and leave the box on at night, no standby and for the past few days nothing has gone wrong.

have set debug logs to on now, so will post if something goes wrong..

danlou
05-12-16, 23:52
i have restored back to version 4.1.16 and it will stay there until all the issues have been resolved properly. If it ain't broke....

birdman
06-12-16, 00:05
It's a bit like a word document written in Word 2010 software but then opened in a later release - it will still work...Not it you are relying on the page layout to be the same.
I've known of people who had to keep and old PC running just to run an old version of Word so that they could comply with regulatory requirements of being able to refer to line x on page y.

birdman
06-12-16, 00:11
Ok, but one would think that any newer updates would make things backward-compatible?One would hope so, but it's also possible that the old version was working "by accident" and the change has removed that fortuity.

techygirl
09-12-16, 08:52
Right, I still have the standby problem. I am on version 4.2.021

I changed the ABM scan to 9am.

Last night it was put on standby and this morning at 7.30 it would not switch on. Here is my log.

I don't know if this makes any difference but the debug log today is tiny in size compared to the previous day. (added this one also.)

Andy_Hazza
09-12-16, 09:07
Right, I still have the standby problem. I am on version 4.2.021

I changed the ABM scan to 9am.

Last night it was put on standby and this morning at 7.30 it would not switch on. Here is my log.

I don't know if this makes any difference but the debug log today is tiny in size compared to the previous day. (added this one also.)

Its not going to be an ABM issue, most likely how you grab your EPG data is the issue. How have you got your EPG setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

techygirl
09-12-16, 09:44
Its not going to be an ABM issue, most likely how you grab your EPG data is the issue. How have you got your EPG setup?

I know that it won't be right as I just muddled through my setup (the plus side of having all the problems I have had is that I have learnt loads). I think that I just added things just in case.

What do you need to know? EPG location is HDD.

Is there a way of just clearing the EPG and setting that up properly?

twol
09-12-16, 10:17
So you have 3 tuners with a motorised setup?
You also seem to be running ABM, crossepg and epgimport as scheduled tasks - correct?

On the 1st log (I,m No expert!) it looks like Crossepg starts but I don,t see it finishing ... so will it be using the motorised dish for Crossepg (it seems to) or one of the others?

Andy_Hazza
09-12-16, 10:22
I know that it won't be right as I just muddled through my setup (the plus side of having all the problems I have had is that I have learnt loads). I think that I just added things just in case.

What do you need to know? EPG location is HDD.

Is there a way of just clearing the EPG and setting that up properly?

For your ABM, set that up to run a daily scan at 04:00 am and save that with the green button. (Menu > Setup > Service Searching > ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) > Configure)

For your EPG, lets do the following first n see where that takes us. Menu > Setup > System > EPG. In Settings set the EPG location to /media/hdd & then green button to save that.
Then go into Load-Save-Delete & press ok on the Delete EPG and say yes when prompted with the pop-up box.
Then go into CrossEPG > Configure & schedule a daily download at say 04:15 am then the green button to save.
Then go into OpenTV providers & click ok on Sky UK OpenTV (a tick should appear) then the green button to save that.

What is your current setup for retrieving Freeview (terrestrial) EPG?

Exit out of everything and run CrossEPG Downloader, to do this press the blue button and press ok on CrossEPG Downloader.

As a test for the above ABM & EPG settings you could set the times to say ABM at 09:45 am & EPG at 10:00 am and put the box into standby and see what happens if you are free now to test, or you can just leave until the morning to see how it goes or a time to suit you to test, but I would go back to my suggested times for the scheduled runs.

Also another thing can you try the following before the above. Menu > Setup > System > Customise and set preferred tuner to Tuner B (Make sure its not the motorised tuner if you have one, so if Tuner A is fixed and Tuner B is motorised set Tuner A (fixed) to the preferred tuner) and press the green button to save.

Let me know how you get on please. Thanks.

techygirl
09-12-16, 10:36
No it is not motorised. (see attached picture)
My ET8500 has 1 DVB and 2 sat tuners. (digi roof aerial is not connected). 1 cable comes in from the dish into tuner B and then loop through to tuner C.

Day to day this all works well and everything appears to work (recording, timeshift, watch another channel etc) although we don't really use these.

Yes to ABM, not sure what I have done with the EPG/ crossepg.

Andy_Hazza I will work through that now. Thanks.

(just as an aside at 9am it did its ABM scan and came up with the Timer lock (which I think that it has always done that - I know that I had major issues when I first set everything up but it doesn't appear to affect anything.)

Andy_Hazza
09-12-16, 10:41
Thats a big en. [emoji4]
With regards the Preferred Tuner, set that to the fixed 28.2 Tuner please and save and then test accordingly with my setup instructions please.

techygirl
09-12-16, 10:48
Thats a big en. [emoji4]
With regards the Preferred Tuner, set that to the fixed 28.2 Tuner please and save and then test accordingly with my setup instructions please.

:D Woe betide anything that gets between Hubby and his beloved Juventus!

Sorry I was a bit keen and didn't set the preferred tuner so will let it run through and then will do it again if it doesn't work.

techygirl
09-12-16, 11:02
It appears to have got stuck. Up until about 5 minutes ago, it whizzed through various things parsing events, etc but now is is stuck on the following:
Parsing events -47/100 -47%
And there is the spinning VIX in the corner.

twol
09-12-16, 11:06
@techygirl .... I saw a rotor command issued in the log. So assumed motorised!
Crossepg downloads 28.2E, then rytec Germany, austria and swiss and seems to stop ... is there anything else for it to do? Because the log basically ends at this point with no more Cross entries.

So if there is another download remove it and try without.
If not just try it with the 28.2 download?

Andy_Hazza
09-12-16, 11:10
Can you try with preferred Tuner set to your fixed 28.2 one and rerun the test please.

techygirl
09-12-16, 11:18
Can you try with preferred Tuner set to your fixed 28.2 one and rerun the test please.

Yup, just about to do this. I have set preferred tuner to B.
Tuner B is set up as
port A 13.0E
port B 19.2E
port C 28.2E

So is it ok to leave it like that?

Andy_Hazza
09-12-16, 11:23
Yup, just about to do this. I have set preferred tuner to B.
Tuner B is set up as
port A 13.0E
port B 19.2E
port C 28.2E

So is it ok to leave it like that?

Yeah try Tuner B and have it so you are on a 28.2E channel.

techygirl
09-12-16, 11:25
Tuner C is the loop through? I only have one sat cable.
Oke doke. will do it now.

Andy_Hazza
09-12-16, 11:29
I meant Tuner B, I edited it after when I realised my Typo error. Also disable EPG Importer if you have this enabled. [emoji4]

techygirl
09-12-16, 12:22
I meant Tuner B, I edited it after when I realised my Typo error. Also disable EPG Importer if you have this enabled. [emoji4]

No still stops and freezes. Done it twice, 2nd time disabled the EPG Importer.

When I first set up, I think I may have just selected everything, providers, etc. Is there a way to check and disable all providers except, say, one, and then add only the ones I need one at a time? Or does it not work like that?

twol
09-12-16, 12:23
You mentioned Juventus, so I assume you have Italy in the download list ...... if so Crossepg doesn,t reach that point . Only 28.2E is complete and the german speaking countries look as if that download is complete.

techygirl
09-12-16, 12:38
You mentioned Juventus, so I assume you have Italy in the download list ...... if so Crossepg doesn,t reach that point . Only 28.2E is complete and the german speaking countries look as if that download is complete.

To be honest I am not sure what I had selected to download, probably everything :) But yes, Italy would be the priority as hubby is Italian, hence the dish in the first place. We had a technomate for many years previous but had someone set it up (and replace when necessary.) This is the first time I have set one up from scratch and I had so much bother setting it up - tried a custom skin first before wiping and just using the stock VIX. Also we are not confident in doing anything with the dish itself (checking alignment, LNB, etc).

I am the techy one and am confident to dig around in the menus etc and have a look but won't change things unless I am confident that I know why. (or can go back and change things back.)
I am grateful for Andy_Hazza's help which is clear.

twol
09-12-16, 13:31
So under menu/setup/system/epf/crossepg you have 2important lists:OpenTV providers (of which you should have Sky Uk ticked) and then under XLMTV providers what do you have. ticked?
Record those ticked for posterity.... and then turn them off ... hit enter against each one thats ticked.
Then run crossepg ... should run fine.
Then go back and turn germany etc back on.
I think it should run clean.
Then add in Italy. If OK add any thing else you need (?) and see what happens.
I am afraid, I only use crossepg for UK sat (its fast) and epgimporter for my 19.2E services as I have had many issues with crossepg.:)

techygirl
09-12-16, 17:59
Thank you Andy_Hazza and twol for your patience, much appreciated.

I have just done what twol has suggested. I ran crossepg with just OpenTV with just Sky UK. and it ran quickly with no problems.

I had originally had 3 selected in XLMTV (Rytec Germ/Aust/Swiss, Rytec Italy and Rytec UK). Tried just the German first and it took ages - I don't know if I had left it long enough that it would have worked. So started again (deleted EPG) and just did Italy. That took a while but it went through ok. Will update tomorrow to see if I have resolved the standby issue.

So what is the difference between crossepg and epg importer? Would I be better just doing the same as you twol and use epgimporter for everything other than UK satellite?

twol
09-12-16, 18:19
Many would say No, but I have had problems where Crossepg has "stuck", whereas I haven,t with epgimporter (where I just import the rytec for Germany etc) and I am sure it would work also for Italy etc.
I run crossepg at 9.0 (purely for sky uk .. and its really fast) and epgimporter at 10.0 (I read some where that the rytec lists are not updated until after 9.00 am)
Also epgimporter doesn,t use epg.dat, which has given me issues in the past.

Many people love crossepg, so if it works for you fine, if it doesn,t try a combination of the tools but NOT for the same country!:)

So don,t have both cross with sky uk and epgimporter with rytec uk

techygirl
10-12-16, 09:22
Looked this morning and it still will not respond in the morning.

So I thought that I would try epg importer but I can't get it to work.

(Firstly I deleted all epg, then went into crossepg and unticked everything)

I selected a couple of sources in epg importer (English & Italian) and made sure that it had saved but when I try and run it , it just jumps straight back to the config menu and says that the last scan got no events.

Andy_Hazza
10-12-16, 09:42

I selected a couple of sources in epg importer (English & Italian) and made sure that it had saved but when I try and run it , it just jumps straight back to the config menu and says that the last scan got no events.

Sorry to hear about that. [emoji20]
Do you feel confident about reflashing the receiver and setting up as new with no settings or plugin restores?
Your essentials would be your current Tuner Configurations, your Channel Lists & your Softcam configs. What do you use to generate your Bouquets (Channel Listings)?
I'm just thinking setting everything up again, but just introducing CrossEPG for UK and then just add an Italian source for the EPG, and just see how it goes, but I understand if its something you wish not to do.

techygirl
10-12-16, 10:08
Sorry to hear about that. [emoji20]
Do you feel confident about reflashing the receiver and setting up as new with no settings or plugin restores?
Your essentials would be your current Tuner Configurations, your Channel Lists & your Softcam configs. What do you use to generate your Bouquets (Channel Listings)?
I'm just thinking setting everything up again, but just introducing CrossEPG for UK and then just add an Italian source for the EPG, and just see how it goes, but I understand if its something you wish not to do.

If it means that I can get things working properly then yes, reluctantly I will reflash - just nervous as it took so long in the beginning (used a custom setup first but didn't work so reflashed using the standard Openvix setup following the instructions in the Vix guides) I had big problems with Timeout for Tuner Lock.

Presumably, as I now have everything working (obviously apart from the EPG and standby problem) there is no reason why it should not set up smoothly.

For Bouquets I use ABM and have Webif. TBH I have created only a small favourite list with the main Italian channels that hubby watches plus a few 'others' where he can get his Italian football fix so not a biggie in terms of recreating it.

What do I need to note down before I start? Presumably the order of the satellites. What do I need to note down for my Softcam configs?

I am off work all week so will note settings down and then either tomorrow or Monday sit down and work through it.

ccs
10-12-16, 11:19
Take an image backup before you start, and then you can get back to your current setup in a matter of minutes.

twol
10-12-16, 11:21

OK, I always think that epgimporter has confusing labels! I have just tried Rytec Germany and Rytec Italy and worlked for me .... so just to be clear:)
So from menu/setup/system/epg-importer, I go into sources click on rytec germany and italy ... save to exit
and then manual (to scan .... why this is not scan is beyond me)
You should then get a yes/no to import(which it will ignore if left ) and then you should get a few lines saying importing ......,,,,
And it tells you how many records etc.

If this doesn,t work then I guess flashing is the only way forward,, but once done and as long you make notes the next time is much easier!:)

All the best next week!

techygirl
10-12-16, 15:26
OK, I always think that epgimporter has confusing labels! I have just tried Rytec Germany and Rytec Italy and worlked for me .... so just to be clear:)
So from menu/setup/system/epg-importer, I go into sources click on rytec germany and italy ... save to exit
and then manual (to scan .... why this is not scan is beyond me)
You should then get a yes/no to import(which it will ignore if left ) and then you should get a few lines saying importing ......,,,,
And it tells you how many records etc.

If this doesn,t work then I guess flashing is the only way forward,, but once done and as long you make notes the next time is much easier!:)

All the best next week!

:thumbsup:
Deleted EPG data then just followed you to the letter (so no UK just Germany & Italy).
Selected Manual to scan then yes. Then get nothing - just takes me back to the EPG Import Config menu.
BUT
when I tried to press manual again it said can't as already importing. Just left it and it has now imported 101500 events!

So hopefully all the settings are ok.
I now have ABM scan at 4am
Crossepg - only Sky UK OpenTV (nothing in XMLTV) scan at 4.15
EPG Importer - only Rytec Germany and Rytec Italy scan at 4.30

I will see what happens in the morning.

Andy_Hazza
10-12-16, 16:00
Deleted EPG data then just followed you to the letter (so no UK just Germany & Italy).
Selected Manual to scan then yes. Then get nothing - just takes me back to the EPG Import Config menu.
BUT
when I tried to press manual again it said can't as already importing. Just left it and it has now imported 101500 events!

This sounds promising. Fingers and Toes x'd for tomorrow morning. [emoji4]

twol
10-12-16, 16:13
BUT

Apologies, I should have remembered that the default skin does not show a display of the download messages it's unfortunately skin dependent ........ pretty stupid like manual means scan!!
EPG-Importer can be fast (as CrossEPG) but can also take several minutes - very time of day dependent.

You seem pretty resilient ( :) ), so assuming you get through this, I would choose a"proper" skin like Magic-FHD or VIXBMC_1080_Bello/Confluence assuming your TV supports 1080.
Everything will look better than the default skin - then maybe we can check on your LCD skin for the ET8500!!!

techygirl
10-12-16, 18:10
Apologies, I should have remembered that the default skin does not show a display of the download messages it's unfortunately skin dependent ........ pretty stupid like manual means scan!!
EPG-Importer can be fast (as CrossEPG) but can also take several minutes - very time of day dependent.

You seem pretty resilient ( :) ), so assuming you get through this, I would choose a"proper" skin like Magic-FHD or VIXBMC_1080_Bello/Confluence assuming your TV supports 1080.
Everything will look better than the default skin - then maybe we can check on your LCD skin for the ET8500!!!

Yes I am :D The problem I have is that advice often comes on a need to know basis rather than freely (thank you again both for this)

If I understand what I am doing then I am happy to experiment (house full of tech - Echo, SmartThings, etc). I spend more time updating and fiddling with my Kodi box than watching it.

On a new skin, the only 'demand' I have is that I have a RF modulator going from the back of the ET8500 leading to the kitchen TV (where hubby watches). When I first set up my ET8500 I used a custom skin from another forum but it 'transmitted' the mini TV screen picture to the kitchen and I couldn't get it to size right .... edit that might have been my lack of knowledge at that time as I have just looked in the setting of this default and I have Clone TV screen to LCD ticked.

I will give it a couple of days and then start a new thread on the ET8500 board. For a new skin do I start from scratch and flash or do you just add on a new skin?

twol
10-12-16, 18:31
You have (on ViX) a choice of 4 skins for the ET8500 lcd.
menu/setup/system/Front Display Panel/skin setup (yes, different from the normal skin setup ...for the ET8500 ... which you select by the normal method)
To start always start with the skins from OpenVix feeds (normal skins or lcd) ....,.. they are built for ViX.
For the LCD:
I use normally default-with-picon_and. _analog because with picons it shows more and also tuners in use which can be important.... but whatever suits you:)
Under menu/setup/system/Front.......Panel/settings turn off clone tv to screen or you won,t see the skin!
I also set the dim delay to (whatever you want) and Brightness dimmed to minimum (black) because in the lounge it can be too much ... or dim down to something that meets your needs:)

To download the "normal" skins go to plugins/download and select skins ....and select your skin!
Then menu/setup/system/user,interface/skin setup
Choose skin
Reboot

Enjoy!

techygirl
10-12-16, 18:46
You have (on ViX) a choice of 4 skins for the ET8500 lcd.
menu/setup/system/Front Display Panel/skin setup (yes, different from the normal skin setup ...for the ET8500 ... which you select by the normal method)
To start always start with the skins from OpenVix feeds (normal skins or lcd) ....,.. they are built for ViX.
For the LCD:
I use normally default-with-picon_and. _analog because with picons it shows more and also tuners in use which can be important.... but whatever suits you:)
Under menu/setup/system/Front.......Panel/settings turn off clone tv to screen or you won,t see the skin!
I also set the dim delay to (whatever you want) and Brightness dimmed to minimum (black) because in the lounge it can be too much ... or dim down to something that meets your needs:)

To download the "normal" skins go to plugins/download and select skins ....and select your skin!
Then menu/setup/system/user,interface/skin setup
Choose skin
Reboot

Enjoy!

Simples :thumbsup: Job for tomorrow - have a play! Thank you.

techygirl
11-12-16, 12:13
:thumbsup: Cooking on gas!

Everything switched on ok this morning so all resolved.

Also had a play around with the skins (I thought that I would have to reflash to put new skins on) and have settled on Confluence for the moment

A couple of questions though - how do I delete unwanted skins.

2ndly. the LCD - It appears that to watch the ET8500 in the kitchen (though the red, yellow, white cable out the back) that it takes the feed from the LCD screen rather than the main output so I need to have the LCD cloned. Not a problem major problem as eventually I want to set up a Labgear distribution box that I have had for ages and not attempted to set up.

Thanks again.

Andy_Hazza
11-12-16, 12:30

Also had a play around with the skins (I thought that I would have to reflash to put new skins on) and have settled on Confluence for the moment

2ndly. the LCD - It appears that to watch the ET8500 in the kitchen (though the red, yellow, white cable out the back) that it takes the feed from the LCD screen rather than the main output so I need to have the LCD cloned. Not a problem major problem as eventually I want to set up a Labgear distribution box that I have had for ages and not attempted to set up.

Thanks again.

So pleased you got sorted with the EPG issue. [emoji1360]
1/ to delete your unwanted skins just press menu > plugins > red button (remove plugins), then scroll down to skins and delete the ones you don't need.
Just to tidy up, while watching tv, press your media button (where the recordings are stored) then press menu and alter the number of rows from 20 to 18 and then green button to save. Exit back out to your tv.
As for the number 2/ query, I will leave that one to @Twol as he's the ET8500 master. [emoji4]

Regards,

twol
11-12-16, 12:42

Thanks again.
Deleting "normal" skins ...... plugins, red button(to delete) select skins, select installed skin to delete ... hit enter.

Kitchen .. ?? surprised it does that as although the ET8500 uses dual framebuffers I thought it would only use one for the TV output side.
Assuming you have Wifi connection in the house and 2 tuners in the ET8500, I would be tempted to buy a cheaper receiver for the Kitchen (eg Edision , Vu+ Zero, Xtrend ET7000 with WiFi connector) and connect the Kitchen TV to that using the fallback tuner facility thru to the ET8500.
Then your husband can watch what he likes and so can you :) A Xmas present to each other?

Really pleased to see it moving forward - when something should work, its really frustrating when somebody else has issues you never see:)