PDA

View Full Version : Vu Duo died new box advice needed

JIZZSTER
01-12-16, 12:05
Hello all I have been a very happy owner of a vu+ duo for years and its finally died ... I could repair but fancy updating my system ...any advice ...i am out of touch with current models specs .....see ads for mutant and xtrend looks alot more choice niw thsn 6 yrs ago was just techomate dreambox or vu back in those days...
Im flexible I csn afford high end if warrants it ... But if something does the same for half the price we love a bargain.... Also kodi is it only vu thst do as n Add on ??

Inital thoughts vu solo 2

Many thans

timofee
01-12-16, 15:26
If you like a bargain a TM Nano with the 2nd tuner option will do everything your old Duo1 did.

The Solo2 is an excellent choice as it opens up a some extra capabilities, but many people never use these extras.

One thing that is a definite upgrade with the Nano - even though it is a bargain price - is a decent remote control, far better than the awful rubbish that VU supply with their boxes.

joysleep1
01-12-16, 15:59
If you like a bargain a TM Nano with the 2nd tuner option will do everything your old Duo1 did.

The Solo2 is an excellent choice as it opens up a some extra capabilities, but many people never use these extras.

One thing that is a definite upgrade with the Nano - even though it is a bargain price - is a decent remote control, far better than the awful rubbish that VU supply with their boxes.

What are you talkiing about?? THe Vu remotes are quality. I love my solo 2 remote. Universal too

wullboy
01-12-16, 16:41
a decent remote control, far better than the awful rubbish that VU supply with their boxes.

lol... you obviously haven't looked at the Mut@nt remote....now there's a disaster if ever there was one ...pmsl

s2tephen
01-12-16, 17:41
Ive read that the new VU Ultimo 4k is out on or abt the 15-12-2016 might be worth waiting
Re the VU remotes ive had 4 now after abt 4 months you have to stand on them to get them to work rubbish!

joysleep1
01-12-16, 17:48
lol... you obviously haven't looked at the Mut@nt remote....now there's a disaster if ever there was one ...pmsl

That remote was a joke. lol

JIZZSTER
01-12-16, 18:25
Had my vu duo remote 6 years did ok ... How would you compare say a U Solo 2 v the mutants and xtrend machines I see a lot written about

cheers

steve

joysleep1
01-12-16, 18:45
Had my vu duo remote 6 years did ok ... How would you compare say a U Solo 2 v the mutants and xtrend machines I see a lot written about

cheers

steve

I have the solo 2 in the extension. Solid box, quick. looks nice.

But my main box is the xtrend 10000 due to the fact i wanted a quad tuner with DVB C tuners. I also wanted a box that has transcoding and is compatible with a 3.5inch HDD.

JIZZSTER
02-12-16, 00:31
Joysleep I might go for a Duo 2 ..built in wifi and use my 3,5 HDD from my old Duo only 30 quid more than a solo 2 with a 2.5 hdd added and a dongle......

joysleep1
02-12-16, 10:16
Joysleep I might go for a Duo 2 ..built in wifi and use my 3,5 HDD from my old Duo only 30 quid more than a solo 2 with a 2.5 hdd added and a dongle......

The problem with the Duo 2 is that it is soo massive. Also it is not fully quad compatible. As in i needed 3 DVB C tuners and 1 DVB S2 tuners. You can not do that with the Duo 2.
Yh i guess the built in WIFI is an advantage although it was not a selling point for me as i have everything hard wired via ethernet

JIZZSTER
03-12-16, 15:43
If I get. Machine with internal HDD can anyone recommend a good HD .... Thinking solo2..or duo2 mutant etc etc ..... 2.5. 500gb or 1tb ...

twol
03-12-16, 16:27
As you are forced to buy a new receiver, you might as well buy one that is forward compatible, so I would go for the mutant hd51, uses the arm processor, very fast, great in 1080 but also great 2160 picture... negatives: has a case and a remote:)

JIZZSTER
04-12-16, 21:13
Wow got me thinking re the Mutant v the Solo2 ........ does the mutant come with 1 tuner and need to add another??
is the mutant well supported with plug ins from having the VU+ for years obviously trust the product..... any plans for odi on the mutant?

thanks

twol
04-12-16, 21:30
Wow got me thinking re the Mutant v the Solo2 ........ does the mutant come with 1 tuner and need to add another??
is the mutant well supported with plug ins from having the VU+ for years obviously trust the product..... any plans for odi on the mutant?

thanks
Ok: equal all plugins on the feeds are available to both
Mutant 51 vs solo 4k (not uno or ultimo) +ve latest arm chip plus support (is there ever any Vu support ?)
-ve fbc for newcomers or people ditching current setup provides big tuner advantages

I am sorry for the cynical response on support but what most people do not realise is that most oe-a images have to work around the total lack of support from Vu

DaMacFunkin
04-12-16, 23:28
Buy my solo2 mate you know it makes sense it's dual tuner..
or Buy my Duo2 its also for sale, also a dual sat tuner and if you add a USB tuner you CAN run 3 cable tuners and 2 sat on it fine with speedy zapping (to the poster who was dumbing it down for not being able to run 3 cable tuners, a Sundtek USB tuner isn't much difference in price to a single DVB-C module and it performs as well as an internal).

cactikid
05-12-16, 00:19
i have my solo2 as main box in sitting room,xtrend 10000 in bedroom with 2 sat + 2 cable tuners and 1tb down to 37%:eek:vu zero in kitchen with 2tb external ,and my retired solo and dead original duo with white remote and never had issues with remotes.