PDA

View Full Version : Few noob q's

DC33
28-11-16, 14:28
Hi all.
Getting this delivered tomorrow. Hopefully.
It's my first post-Sky box, maybe last - depending on how long it lives and/or my patience.

Will my external hdd handle picons ok, or am 8 best with usb flash drive?
Will the front flap close if i use ine of those tiny usb drives?
Can I get Dave (and other UKTV) channels, or do i need a usb dvb-t2?
Can i use a usb hub at the back to connect:
~ usb hdd;
~ usb flash;
~ usb tuner;
And have them all work?
Appreciate i may neee to externally power the hdd...

Many, many thanks in advance.

Dave

danlou
28-11-16, 15:02
Welcome to World of Satellite and a lot more.

What receiver exactly are you getting? If it beings with Z then no support on this forum. And you may want to read the rules just in case you put 'your foot in it'
So, you want to use one port for a usb dvb-t (terrestrial freeview tuner) and the other for connection of external hard drive? Not sure of former as never set up usb tuner before but do a search for Sundtek tuner?. for latter yes no problem with external usb drive - it will also need to store epg data and picons too.

To be honest, you're better off getting a receiver with twin (or more tuners) built in rather than mess about with usb tuner as it will be cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen that it's in EDISON OS Mini thread! I was looking at new posts. Look at twin tuner option, forget usb tuner.

DC33
28-11-16, 16:42
Thanks danlou.
Ordered the dual dvb-s2 yesterday.
Considered a "Z" for all of 10 minutes... Seem to be more popular with the - dare i say it - "card sharing community" - so struck me as a bit dodgy to start with. Then there's no support other than "you need this gift"...
Rather keep it legal myself.

Thinking of usb tuner for terrestrial channels you can't get on satellite (ie. Dave)

If a usb-hdd draws 900ma max, but the usb2 supplies 500ma,will it still work?

Joe_90
28-11-16, 18:01
Thanks danlou.
Ordered the dual dvb-s2 yesterday.
Considered a "Z" for all of 10 minutes... Seem to be more popular with the - dare i say it - "card sharing community" - so struck me as a bit dodgy to start with. Then there's no support other than "you need this gift"...
Rather keep it legal myself.

Thinking of usb tuner for terrestrial channels you can't get on satellite (ie. Dave)

If a usb-hdd draws 900ma max, but the usb2 supplies 500ma,will it still work?

Don't recommend you do that. The power supplies on all these boxes are just enough to do the job. If you start overdrawing current on a USB port, you may have other issues as well as the USB HDD not working well. Use a separate power supply for a HDD.

silverblack
29-11-16, 01:17
I could not get a 500gb HDD to work through USB.It showed up in settings and could mount it but within minutes it disappeared from the menu.Had to use external power.

DC33
29-11-16, 14:45
Got 4 2.5" in usb caddies - was looking at a new 1tb as well for this. Also got 2 3.5" not in caddies. One will be from Sky+.
Question is, can i use one of those hdd docks? It's externally powered, and could then (possibly) use one of the many sd cards not being used for picons etc.
Anyone any experience with these?

silverblack
29-11-16, 18:01
Got 4 2.5" in usb caddies - was looking at a new 1tb as well for this. Also got 2 3.5" not in caddies. One will be from Sky+.
Question is, can i use one of those hdd docks? It's externally powered, and could then (possibly) use one of the many sd cards not being used for picons etc.
Anyone any experience with these?

Try it and see, i bought a caddy type unit off ebay but it was useless did not even power the HDD.
I resorted to using a powered cable similar to this one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB2-0-to-SATA-IDE-2-5-3-5-External-Adapter-Transfer-Cable-Kit-Hard-Disk-Set/262585097707?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Dba3f2f211f1e4ab484ac6c9ddeb 4e065%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D320 895175406

DC33
29-11-16, 23:33
@silverblack saw those on amazon, thought about it, decided to try the caddies I have. seems ok with 750gb - recognised and initialised, but not recorded anything yet.
Can borrow a dock to try if i need to, rather than spend money on stuff i can't use.
Trying to tune the EPG now :confused:

silverblack
30-11-16, 00:56
Should be ok if it's powered,good luck with the EPG :D