PDA

View Full Version : TV on in morning.

lippo
23-11-16, 20:06
Hi,

I recently had an issue with an update from Openvix from .10 to .12 which meant the ET8500 wouldn't boot correctly. I successfully installed the image from scratch but had to re-install all the settings.

One issue I've found is that when I get up in the morning, the TV is on, along with the ET8500. I thought it may be the EPG software. I have CrossEPG and EPG Installer, which seem to be 2 different packages doing the same thing. I have disabled each one, having only one active at any one time. I have also checked the settings to ensure that the ET8500 goes back to standby after the EPG update.

I've checked the other settings including the HDMI CEC settings.

Is it the EPG? Am I missing something? Should I downgrade back to .10?

Thanks in advance.

twol
23-11-16, 20:14
Hate to say it but probably crossepg.....
I use both packages currently... but for a long time used only epgimporter because I was fed up with being, woken up by crossepg.
Now I run both updates after. 10.00 am so I am not disturbed.:)

lippo
23-11-16, 20:37
Thank you. I thought about doing that, but it would mean that the TV may be on when the house is empty during the day. The annoying thing is that this never happened prior to me wiping/updating the image. Rytec also seems to take an age to update, during which time the channel can't be changed, which inevitably leads to moaning from the OH.

Bangord30
23-11-16, 20:39
Set a power standby timer to say 15 mins after cross running just in case

lippo
23-11-16, 20:55
Hi Bangord, yes, I'll try that, thanks.

ccs
23-11-16, 20:59
.... and switch the tv off. :)

lippo
23-11-16, 21:10
:eek: The TV is normally switched off. It's an LG that only goes into standby, no actual button to switch off that I can find. Besides, if I did, I'd have to retrain the whole family :D

khan888
23-11-16, 22:57
I had the same issue a few years back, was my chromecast switching tv on in the night.

I had HDMI CEC active on the tv so I I could use HDMI CEC on my receiver but it was interfering with my chromecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cactikid
24-11-16, 02:08
have you tried just powering on box to see if tv comes on also?

lippo
24-11-16, 11:52
khan - thanks for the suggestion, I turned off CEC yesterday evening.

cactikid - good point. I'm assuming that it is the Xtrend rather than the TV.

However, I was turned out to work at 2.45am this morning and saw that the Xtrend had switched itself on. Luckily the TV was off because I'd switched off the CEC. This is a couple of hours before the EPG update, so that appears not to be the issue.

Any idea what would turn the Xtrend on between 10pm and 2.45am?

gibbletts
24-11-16, 16:31
Maybe auto bouquet maker

Joe_90
24-11-16, 17:21
khan - thanks for the suggestion, I turned off CEC yesterday evening.

cactikid - good point. I'm assuming that it is the Xtrend rather than the TV.

However, I was turned out to work at 2.45am this morning and saw that the Xtrend had switched itself on. Luckily the TV was off because I'd switched off the CEC. This is a couple of hours before the EPG update, so that appears not to be the issue.

Any idea what would turn the Xtrend on between 10pm and 2.45am?

When you say "turn it on", do you mean it booted from deep standby or is it left in normal standby? The only things that usually wake a box from deep standby would be a timer recording or else a power timer. Things like Autobouquetsmaker or CrossEPG need the box to be in standby mode or active in order to run - they won't wake the box from deep standby. I have a power timer to wake my box from deep standby at 06:00. Autobouquetsmaker is scheduled to run at 06:03 and CrossEPG at 06:07. Then, the powertimer puts the box back into deep standby at 06:10.

The only other thing that might boot up the box from deep would be EPG import if you have that enabled. I found that when it was first released it was enabled and had some random time set in it to start an import. I thought that the default in later builds was to have it disabled, though. You might check that.

If the TV is powering up, the it's either CEC set in the TV or the box is activating the TV. CEC behaviour is somewhat unpredictable and very dependent on the TV and box combination.

lippo
24-11-16, 17:32
Gibletts - thanks for your suggestion, I'll see if there's any settings that would affect this.

Fat-Tony - Thanks for your views on this. Regarding 'turn it on', I think the box is only ever in standby, not deep standby. If I understand correctly what you say, the box can still download for ABM or CrossEPG whilst still in standby, which would mean that the TV wouldn't need to turn on via CEC. It does look like the CEC is a bit hit and miss. My only thought about this was that it didn't used to do this prior to the latest update. I may have to spend a little time to downgrade it.

Edit; Just checked ABM and it downloads at 0100hrs every morning. I've adjusted this to 0500hrs to alogn with the EPG download and the power timer to put the box into deep standby.

Joe_90
24-11-16, 17:44
Ah ok - it's in normal standby. But then it would not need to come out of standby to run CrossEPG or ABM, so you shouldn't particularly notice any change. Might be the CEC settings all right.

lippo
24-11-16, 18:06
Thanks for the info - that may have helped me. I have disabled EPG Importer as it requires a wake up to download. I have enabled CrossEPG which can download in standby. ABM is set to download at 0500hrs, hopefully in standby. I have also set the HDMI CEC to turn the TV on on wakeup only. I'll disable the PowerTimers and see what happens tomorrow morning. Thanks to everyone, and I'll report back as this may help someone else on the forum.

lippo
09-12-16, 10:36
Well, a small update. Not quite sure what is happening with the little box but it comes on at 1am, even though I have nothing programmed to download at this time. I've switched ABM to download weekly at 5am, and have the EPG downloading at 5am as well. I have a Power Timer to switch the box off and I've also amended the HDMI CEC so that it comes on with 'source request' only.

The EPG download freezes for me about 25% of the time. It gets part the way through 'parsing events' and then nothing. The screen is on, but the remote is unresponive. The only thing to do is switch it off at the back. Does anyone else have this issue? It's such a shame that I had to re-install Openvix after it crashed - I didn't have any of these issues prior to this.