PDA

View Full Version : [ET10x00] Samba

adm
21-11-16, 20:58
Extrend ET 10000 with the latest build = 4.2.16 Flashed from USB stick, no restore of plugins or settings other than (auto) timers which were FTP'd back to etc/enigma2 after the flash.

Everything I usually use appears to work except setting up Samba. On entering the Samba setup the box briefly goes into the Sambe setup screen and then comes out immediately with the message:

"Your Extrend ET10000 will be restarted after the installation of the service
Are you ready to install packagegroup-base-smbf-server?" with the option Yes and no.

At this point pressing yes results in the box immediately (quarter of a second or less) rebooting. After coming out of the re-boot selecting the network -> samba option again just gives the same information box and pressing yes results in another immediate reboot.

I have tried powering off the box after one of these reboots but it makes no difference to the information/reboot sequence if 'yes' is selected.

My guess that the box isn't even bothering going to an external server to get the samba utility (the box can see the internet and can see the server that holds the Vix images).

If a file has been corrupted what is it and can it be deleted from the box to force a new proper fetch of the samba server?

ccs
21-11-16, 22:13
I had the same problem a while back, I'll see if I can find the relevant posts.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to help, the only way I found pre 4.2 was to do a plugins/settings restore from a backup which had it running ok.

A couch flash from 4.1 to 4.2 failed as you've described, but worked the 2nd time I switched Samba on.

ccs
21-11-16, 23:22
Found this which probably isn't much help....

I've updated from 4.1.004 to 4.1.009 today. (Couch flash)

(1) If I reflash and do not restore settings or plugins and only setup the wifi network (which seemed sensible), Samba installs ok.

(2) If I reflash and restore settings using the wizard, Samba now never installs. It goes thru' the reboot procedure,
but is then "disabled/stopped", and goes to the setup process again.

Restoring settings after step (1) leaves samba working ok.

I think Samba is pre-installed, and just needs switching on or off.

adm
22-11-16, 00:26
Found this which probably isn't much help....

I think Samba is pre-installed, and just needs switching on or off.

It's not possible to select the Samba set-up screen long enough to switch anything on or off.

birdman
22-11-16, 01:32
It's not possible to select the Samba set-up screen long enough to switch anything on or off.What are you trying to set-up? Make the box a server, or connect to external shares?

Joe_90
22-11-16, 01:55
May or may not be relevant - I seem to recall that the samba.conf has changed between samba versions. Perhaps an incompatible version is being restored during settings restore and it is throwing off the new version?

ccs
22-11-16, 13:25
It's not possible to select the Samba set-up screen long enough to switch anything on or off.
I know, I'm just saying what should be happening.

The smb.conf file in etc/samba that I'm currently using on 4.2.016 (ET10K) is identical to one I found from 15 months ago.

Maybe there's something amiss in etc/samba/private ?

ccs
22-11-16, 14:44
When I clean flashed when moving from 4.1 to 4.2, I started on 4.2.005, so maybe that's worth a try.
Samba didn't start the first time, but did after the 2nd reboot.

tappari
22-11-16, 17:03
When I clean flashed when moving from 4.1 to 4.2, I started on 4.2.005, so maybe that's worth a try.
Samba didn't start the first time, but did after the 2nd reboot.
I flashed my ET10000 from ATV to ViX 016, and I had to install samba twice with two reboots.

adm
22-11-16, 18:44
Solved

Made backup of plugins/settings on the box

Re-flashed 4.2.16 via USB stick

On reboot set-up video and basic network connection - left everything else alone (no restore of anything, no scan for channels - nothing else)

Went to the Samba set-up screen and immediately got the message:

"Your Extrend ET10000 will be restarted after the installation of the service
Are you ready to install packagegroup-base-smbf-server?" with the option Yes and no.

This time when pressing yes a "please wait" message appeared for 5 seconds before the reboot

After the reboot Samba now enabled

Restored plugins/settings from back-up and a reboot

Samaba still running

ccs
22-11-16, 20:14
.... so

I've updated from 4.1.004 to 4.1.009 today. (Couch flash)

(1) If I reflash and do not restore settings or plugins and only setup the wifi network (which seemed sensible), Samba installs ok.

(2) If I reflash and restore settings using the wizard, Samba now never installs. It goes thru' the reboot procedure,
but is then "disabled/stopped", and goes to the setup process again.

Restoring settings after step (1) leaves samba working ok. was relevant after all.:)