PDA

View Full Version : [TM-TWIN-OE] Timeshift behaviour questions

Piranha
21-11-16, 11:40
Background info:

1. I always use VixBlueHD skin, as it is the one my wife is familiar with!

2. Timeshift is normally default setting - disabled, as my perhaps old-fashioned belief is that a permanently spinning HDD will inevitably have a shorter lifespan than one which is only accessed on media writing/playback.

3. I don't bother with picons anymore - and if I did, they would be on a USB stick, not the HDD.

4. My main TV is a 42" LG 720p about 6/7 years old (I know, it's an antique!)

5. I have two ageing TM Twin-OE boxes!

6. I can already hear the yawns and moans from those that are much more experienced than I, but timeshift is a feature of OpenVix that I have little experience of, so please forgive my ignorance.

Timeshift behaviour:

1. If I press Pause, sometimes I will get a frozen screen with the current channel image displayed, otherwise I get a black screen. I am totally guessing here, but is that because initiating timeshift does a screen grab and it's potluck whether it's a full frame or an empty frame?

2. I have tried 720p and 1080i A/V Mode settings (despite the fact that the TV is only 720p, both modes display OK) and the behaviour is still the same.

3. If I enable permanent Timeshift, with the following settings:

Timeshift location - /media/HDD/timeshift/
Automatically start timeshift after - 5 seconds
Show warning when timeshift is stopped - no
Timeshift-save action on zap - Don't save
Stop timeshift while recording (whilst to me!) - no
Etc.

Questions - eventually!

1. Not being a frequent Timeshift user, I freely admit to not understanding the expected behaviour on R/C inputs, therefore I cannot be certain when I am viewing something that is no longer 'real time'!

2. With PTS enabled, as above, I sometimes get complete freezes (make that my wife makes multiple R/C inputs!) - but of course, my wife 'didn't do anything'! The way out seems to be cycling the Stop/Rewind/FFwd/Exit buttons.

My questions, despite the lengthy preamble is:

1. What is the anticipated behaviour for R\C Stop/Pause/Play/Rewind/FFwd R/C controls in the following modes:

A. Timeshift -disabled
B. Timeshift -enabled

I suspect it is just myself being thick about all of this, but, I no longer harbour any worries about someone pointing-out that I am from a generation that thought that the 5 1/4" floppy disk was an innovation!