PDA

View Full Version : How to use Vu-Util_v2.0.1 Flash Tool?

mcquaim
20-11-16, 15:59
Hi folks,

I can't seem to find any documentation on how to use this flash tool.

Basically the brothers Vu Duo had the red light of death and wouldn't start. I changed the capacitor and then it booted but it just stayed at starting on the front display.

I then tried to flash a new image but it just kept freezing so then I tried to flash the boot loader but that froze too.

I had to switch it off at the back after 20-30 mins but since then it won't recognise the USB ports.

So, this is where I'm at now trying to flash with this Vu Util Flash Tool.

I am trying to flash the boot loader but it's giving me a -21 error on stage 4. I am selecting the Zip file but I see it also accepts nfi files but where to get them I don't know?

Maybe I can't flash the boot loader with this tool?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
mcquaim

Larry-G
20-11-16, 17:03
I may be wrong but as I remember Vu util was only for flashing images not the bootloader. As for .NFI image files virtually no one even makes images in this format for Vu plus hardware any more. You may get lucky and find a old copy of the very early v1.xx series images archived here as we produced both .NFI and USB images back then when ViX was still based on the Vu plus OI.

Larry-G
20-11-16, 17:08
Try this one mate, it's a very early Vu plus OI image includes both USB and .NFI versions

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6-Official-original-image-Ver-4-2

mcquaim
20-11-16, 17:35
Try this one mate, it's a very early Vu plus OI image includes both USB and .NFI versions

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6-Official-original-image-Ver-4-2

Cheers Larry!

How long should it take Vu Util to flash the NFI image?

It's been on 60% for 10-15 mins now..

Larry-G
20-11-16, 17:40
Half hour at least mate, possibly even a hour. Flashing via rs232 takes a bloody age.

mcquaim
20-11-16, 17:41
Thanks Larry, I thought it must have frozen or something! I will leave it running so :thumbsup:

Larry-G
20-11-16, 17:42
Thanks Larry, I thought it must have frozen or something! I will leave it running so :thumbsup:

Been years since I flashed a box this way but it does tend to stop and start in this way. Just leave it ticking away in the background and come back in a hour or so.

mcquaim
20-11-16, 19:10
This is still at 60%, doubt something is wrong?

Larry-G
20-11-16, 19:20
sounds like a j-tag may be in order mate especially as the bootloader also failed. I'd try again though just to be sure.

Larry-G
20-11-16, 19:24
I did post the software etc for j-tagging the duo a few years ago in the sections I no longer have access to. You may have to ask one of the others to get it for you now, as I pretty much deleted my entire home E2 archive well over a year ago.

mcquaim
20-11-16, 19:26
sounds like a j-tag may be in order mate especially as the bootloader also failed. I'd try again though just to be sure.

I'm hoping not... I will try again and see what happens!

Is it possible to Jtag ourselves or is this a send away process?

Larry-G
20-11-16, 19:46
I'm hoping not... I will try again and see what happens!

Is it possible to Jtag ourselves or is this a send away process?

Its easy enough with the rite hardware / software. If you cant source the hardware (the .pdf shows what you need) have a word with stef he should be able to help. I know he's successfully j-tagged at least one duo although that was a while ago.