PDA

View Full Version : Recording and Transferring to a USB/Mac Computer

John57
17-11-16, 15:23
Afternoon All

I have a VU+Solo2 running Vix 4.2.15 and its working perfectly and very happy with the latest image.

I recently recorded a Mike Oldfield documentary onto my internal hard drive and would now like transfer it for safe keeping onto my home mac system. I have tried to move the file to a 32gb usb stick but with no successes, my question is does the USB stick need to be formatted to a particular format do I need a particular software running on my mac like VLC to be able to play it back?

Any help, tips, or suggestions would be very much appreciated

Regards
John

N2AL
17-11-16, 16:32
Excellent question. Let me ask you, what file type is this video currently in?

I know in the past when I have moved files from Windows to Mac, depending on the file type it has proved a tad bit difficult. I believe FAT32 was the file type that I used from Windows to Mac, but if I wanted to save anything from the Mac to the USB drive, it has to be formatted in Mac OS X Journal.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I can offer anymore assistance.

John57
17-11-16, 16:42
N2AL,

Thank you for your reply what I was looking to do was move the recorded concert from my VU+Solo2 Hard Drive over to a USB stick so that I could then move it over to my home computer. N2AL, I am not sure what format my VU records the images to my internal HD. I think it could be that the USB stick might not be formatted to FAT32. I think I need to research the forum to see if my question has already been asked so that I can see some of the answers. If anyone can help with any suggestions then this would be great.

Regards
John

ccs
17-11-16, 16:45
If your usb stick is FAT32 formatted, then it should read ok on a pc, mac or vix.

judge
17-11-16, 16:49
Just use FTP & save all the flaffing about.

John57
17-11-16, 16:58
CCS/Judge

Good suggestions, many thanks to you all.

Regards
John

nano18
17-11-16, 18:12
FAT32 should be fine to read/write on both sides, but FAT32 is limited to 4GB files IIRC. An hour in HD may exceed that.

FTP is the easier option. You can use Filezilla to connect, then change directory to /media/hdd/movie and transfer the file.

Andy_Hazza
17-11-16, 19:21
If its over 4GB usb would need to be NTFS. As @Judge says though, FTP is easiest n best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
18-11-16, 09:59
N2AL,

Thank you for your reply what I was looking to do was move the recorded concert from my VU+Solo2 Hard Drive over to a USB stick so that I could then move it over to my home computer. N2AL, I am not sure what format my VU records the images to my internal HD. I think it could be that the USB stick might not be formatted to FAT32. I think I need to research the forum to see if my question has already been asked so that I can see some of the answers. If anyone can help with any suggestions then this would be great.

Regards
John
The solo2 will record the program in mts which stands for mpeg transport stream.
This means that the file is written to disk exactly as it was broadcast (except for the encryption if you have a valid decryption device in place).
Will your computer or other devices play this file back as is? Maybe maybe not. This depends on what video and audio combination the program was broadcast in, it could be H264 with AAC audio, it could be mpeg2 with ac3 audio, most modern computers can playback most formats either natively or with a simple codec download.
However media devices are different, some devices will just play the files, some you may need to change the extension from mts to mkv or mpg, some you may need to remux them stripping the original header details out, and some others may even need re encoding.

John57
20-11-16, 22:17
DaMacFunkin,

Thank you for your very comprehensive explanation, I will need to read and re-read your suggestions in order to fully understand what you have detailed especially the part about changing the extensions, if all of that fails then I will most certainly proceed with what Judge recommended, ie FTP.

Sorry for my late reply

Regards
John

cactikid
20-11-16, 22:55
i would have thought setting up a usb or hdd it would have to be converted to ext 3-4 before using it.