PDA

View Full Version : Harddisk disappears after a while...

bjorntj
10-01-11, 09:35
I have a small problem.. The harddisk is working fine for a while and then suddenly it disappears and the only way to get it back is to actually switch off the power from the box.. (this has happend twice now the last 3-4 weeks...)
My guess is that it is the harddisk "goto sleep code" that is the cause... It makes the harddisk goto to sleep and it works fine for a while and then suddenly the OS can't wake the disk anymore... Not sure if this is a bug in the VU+ code or my harddisk but maybe other knows?

Also, if this is a problem with my harddisk, which disk does you reccommed to buy, so I don't get the this problem again?

Regards,

BTJ

silverfox0786
10-01-11, 09:37
what hardisk are you using what size and make and also how old is it

is it mounted internally or extrenaly

and where is the mount point on the box for it

i'm guessing its the hard disk as your the first user to mention this issue

bjorntj
10-01-11, 09:52
what hardisk are you using what size and make and also how old is it

I have Western Digital disk, WDC WD5000AAKS-0, 500GB and I bought it with my box this last summer..

is it mounted internally or extrenaly

Internally

and where is the mount point on the box for it

It's mounted at /media/hdd

i'm guessing its the hard disk as your the first user to mention this issue

Hmmm... I really thought the disk was far to new to start acting up already but.... :-|

BTJ

silverfox0786
10-01-11, 09:56
i have noticed in my home and life that WDC never last that long but then i have not brought one in years of fear it will go again i have some hdd that have lasted years even got my old IDE ones but never to this day has a WDC lasted me more than 6 months

remove it and put it through teh WDC harddisk health check andif its all ok there is prob a corrupt file in there if you can afford to loose data i would recomend a repartition and reformat on it

bjorntj
10-01-11, 09:58
Well, deleting the disk at the moment, at least without a backup, is not an option at the moment... Too many recordings that we haven't seen yet... :)
But which harddisk do you recommend if I were to buy a new one?

BTJ

silverfox0786
10-01-11, 10:02
personally i use seagate in my PC 6TB of pure seagate and 2 are 4 years old already

in my DUO i have a samsung that i got on offer and im not happy with it its too noisy imo

have a look here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?860-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-internal-SATA-HDD-and-size

or start a thread asking for people to share their experiences on internal sata drives on the DUO

bjorntj
10-01-11, 10:03
Oki... Thx... :)

BTJ

t.ph
10-01-11, 12:59
I has loads of problems with the same disk when i had my IPbox 9000 & ended up buying a Samsung HD502HJ (thats what it's reported as in Devices Manager). I tried the WDC in the VU+ and again experienced problems so have been using the Samsung ever since & never had a problem.

bjorntj
10-01-11, 13:06
oki.... :)
btw, the disk I have now is 2,5", is there any problem installing 3,5" disk in the box?

BTJ

t.ph
10-01-11, 13:19
3.5" fits perfect

bjorntj
10-01-11, 13:23
I.e. no need for any extra frames to fit the 3,5" disk in the box?

BTJ

t.ph
10-01-11, 13:36
Nope, as i said it fits perfect

bjorntj
10-01-11, 13:39
Goodie... Thx... :)

BTJ

rob76
13-01-11, 07:51
I have a Samsung 1TB 3.5" and have come across your issue a couple of times. I find out about it when I use timeshift and the options won't be available. Like you say, just reboot and it's there again. I've only seen it twice and has not happened recently so I kinda forgot about it.

Richy-G
13-01-11, 08:49
personally i use seagate in my PC 6TB of pure seagate and 2 are 4 years old already

in my DUO i have a samsung that i got on offer and im not happy with it its too noisy imo

have a look here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?860-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-internal-SATA-HDD-and-size

or start a thread asking for people to share their experiences on internal sata drives on the DUO

I've had bad experiences with seagate myself had a hard drive fail on me (lost a shit load). Good thing is they arranged collection from my house for free had it looked at all the way in germany lol. Told me they couldnt recover it without charge of £100+ , though aint paying that so they sent me a refurbished drive for free, few months down the line refurb one failed grrr. So thats me done with seagate.

I've a samsung in my downstairs pc and its pretty much silent , Just bought 1tb samsung for my duo hope isn't noisy like you reported.