PDA

View Full Version : LNB Power problem messing up the signal to my Sky box?

mike1961
11-11-16, 16:22
I have a sky dish and an octo lnb. I have cables running to a sky+ HD box, a Ferguson Ariva 120, a Dreambox and, until recently a Gigablue 800SE+.

The Gigablue started acting up with what looked like tuner issues so I swapped it with my Ferguson Ariva which works perfectly off the same cable feed, so presumably the cables are fine and the Gigablue is faulty.

I then tried everything to get the Gigablue back up on running off a separate cable feed that had worked perfectly previously for the Ariva.... but to no avail. Even tried factory reset on the box and loading different images. Curiously though, sometimes when I connected the cable feed to the Gigablue it affected the signal to the main Sky+ box (and I got a verbal warning from the good wife).

Now I've decided to give up on the Gigablue so I recently took down a Sky box from the attic and connected it to the same cable feed (that caused issues for the Sky+ box) and two things happened ... (i) I got a shout from the missus to say that the Sky+ box was on the blink again and (ii) I didn't get any signal at all from the Sky (attic) box.

So what is the story? Is the cable dodgy? Can a dodgy cable mess up reception from the other ports on the LNB? My head is in a mess cos it now looks like I have a dodgy Gigablue and adodgy cable feed.

Doh!!!

abu baniaz
11-11-16, 17:42
More likely LNB at fault. Works fine when one device connected, issues when two tuners try to use it together.

mike1961
11-11-16, 17:55
More likely LNB at fault. Works fine when one device connected, issues when two tuners try to use it together.
Thanks Abu. The LNB works fine now ... and that is with the Sky+ box running (2 feeds), the Ferguson Ariva and the Dreambox. Is it that the 4th device is one too many?

abu baniaz
11-11-16, 17:57
is it the same device that causes a problem? problem on whichever lnb port you use with that device?

mike1961
11-11-16, 18:32
is it the same device that causes a problem? problem on whichever lnb port you use with that device?

I thought the Gigablue was the problem but the cable feed (that previously worked fine for the Ariva) now causes interference for my main Sky+ box when I plug the cable into my spare Sky box.

Huevos
11-11-16, 18:40
Either noise getting into the system somewhere. Dodgy cordless phone, microwave, etc. Or knackered lnb or cable.

mike1961
11-11-16, 23:44
Either noise getting into the system somewhere. Dodgy cordless phone, microwave, etc. Or knackered lnb or cable.
Cable is a definite suspect....tried the old sky box on a different cable and no issues ... tried it again on the suspect cable and nada... no satellite signal detected. I'll see about replacing it but it's a long one ... Over the roof and thru the back wall.