PDA

View Full Version : What to buy???? Help needed.

Djhitman
11-11-16, 08:51
Hi all,

I am a newbie and have been doing some research into a new receiver. I had a dreambox hd800se and it lasted for 4 years until it had some issues and found out it's a clone (Sunray) when restarting it.

Anyway as it's quite old and is not supported much I would like to update my box.

I am looking for a twin tuner with a hard drive and what something that is reliable don't need much tinkering and has support.

I am leaning towards the Vu boxes and the solo and duo seem to be where I am at.

What are you suggestion guys???

Help is appreciated.

Bangord30
11-11-16, 09:26
Twin Sat just you need them mate? Internal HDD?

Sicilian
11-11-16, 09:28
I am looking for a twin tuner with a hard drive and what something that is reliable don't need much tinkering and has support.

What are you suggestion guys???

Help is appreciated.

Take a look at the Mutant HD51 http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/mut@nt-mutant-hd51

Andy_Hazza
11-11-16, 10:17
If its a twin satellite you are after I would go with either the Vu+ Solo2 or the new Mut@nt HD51 (4K receiver). [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djhitman
11-11-16, 10:26
Thanks guys
what's the difference between the vu solo and duo? Is it worth the difference in money? Also it's quite and old box is any near versions comming out?

The mutant looks good but never heard of it apart from on this forum (sorry as said a newbie)

Djhitman
11-11-16, 11:07
Thanks for the response I want an internal hhd no smaller the 500gb but not sure what you mean by "twin sat just you need"

Willmoore
11-11-16, 11:11
I went through the same as you a couple of years ago and settled on the Solo2 and it was a good decision then and still would be a good decision as it's an excellent box. But if I was making that decision now I would choose the Mutant HD51 based largely on it being a 4K box.

Stanman
11-11-16, 11:11
Twin sat / twin tuners have two cables so yiu can watch and record more than one channel at a time. Each cable gives you the whole sat channel.

I would avoid the solo and duo as both quite old and dated.

Bang for bucks the HD51 at 228 for a twin tuner is not bad and future proof as it's a 4K box but if you do not have a 4K TV and won't for couple of years, look at some of the other cheaper twin tuners or single ones if you don't want twin tuners

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

boogie
11-11-16, 11:58
boxes(4k) incoming from gigablue, vu+ and miraclebox. probably 1st quater '17.
Mutant hd51 pick of bunch TODAY (BUT boy do i HATE their remote controls!).
I've had almost every make and model and, hand on heart, the best box ive had has been the miraclebox premium mini(made in sweden).
It might sound daft(what with being able to use universal remotes) but i think you can judge a manufacturer by the design and effort they put into their remote controls( ergonomics- the 'feel' of it, button quality, easy of use - pressing the button once with no lag, durability - how long it will last etcetera) and by a country mile the Miraclebox comes out on top here(vu+ remotes are super too but the mb are tops).
just my 2 pence worth

Andy_Hazza
11-11-16, 12:04
I have a Mut@nt HD2400 and the remote ain't that bad to be fair. I do prefer my Vu+ remotes mind ya, but in all honesty the Mut@nt one has never given me any issues. [emoji1360]

Djhitman
11-11-16, 12:22
lol I knew this was going to be hard. I thought I knew I was going for a Vu but now have seen the Mutant and a mention of miracle box. Lol

Getting confused by the post....

So I have not got a 4K tv yet but likely to get one maybe in a few years (by then I am sure 4K will be old news an 8k will be on the cards)

So I presuming the mutant can be played on a 1080p tv?

I most problem will get a harmony remote at some point so not to concerned about remote.

Also what do you think the support will be like with the mutant as when I bought my dreambox support was there with images and forum but now it's dead. I know that the Vu have always been very well supported by developers and community.

Blu-ray
11-11-16, 12:29
If you are thinking about a Mut@nt 4K make sure you have read the forum rules as you will get no support in setting up Oscam as you cannot use Ccam or Mgcam with 4K receivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
11-11-16, 13:26
Not entirely true...
There have been patched versions of Mgcamd around for months, never used it though.

twol
11-11-16, 13:40
Gigablue is now slated for next May, Xtrend?

So I went for the Mutant HD51 because their past boxes have seemed very reliable and technology wise it's a good receiver and the support so far has been really good.
Remote ... well it's a remote :) but too small for my old fingers. External box appearance - well I suppose they had to put the technology into something, wish they had chosen something (a lot) better :)
But overall the results are good with an excellent picture.

reeves1985
11-11-16, 14:07
The problem is with cost cutting
You either make the receiver look brilliant and sacrifice hardware or spend the budget on the hardware and put in in a cheaper box!.
The third side is do both and put the price of the receiver up.
Manufactures are willing to do all 3 with a budget type receiver.

Don't get me wrong the mutant is in the upper tier regards price point for medium budget but it's also low end budget for a 4k receiver.
Look at the price difference with the vu take the fbc tuners out of the equation for a second and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Personally I'd rather have a great receiver that looks a bit ugly than one that looks a million dollars but it crap!

I've recently been looking into replacing my receiver.
My main receiver is a venton unibox hd2 and whilst it's now getting to the point of getting old and outdated and I'm sure there will be a time in the not too distant future the team will have to discontinue the image support.
But it's been superb from day 1. Never missed a beat apart from a warranty repair by the sponsors on the vfd.
The remote works well as well.
I have 2 other receivers that are also venton but are the eco+ models which were definitely a budget version from the brand.
I use 1 as a bedroom box and my parents are actually using the other as a main receiver.
This is a newer receiver to my hd2 but with it being budget it's already past the vix point of no return and you can see why in terms of hardware. Oh and the remote isn't a patch on the hd2!.
That being said they do what they are supposed to within the use they were bought for. I wasn't expecting the top level performance for the small amount of £70 I paid for them. But they do the job as well as any other albeit a tiny bit slower.

I believe the original miraclebox was based from the venton and shared the same tuners so I did look at their receivers. I am a sucker for a new bit of tech and have been looking for something to a company my 4 month old 4k tv.
However I don't think it's worth it at the minute with no 4k content of any note readily available on satellite FTA within Europe.
My other dilemma is I run both cable and sat (currently in hrbrid) and need at least 4 tuners (2 of each) to satisfy the recording needs of my house.

I've rambled that much I've forgot the original point of the post!!!!.

Djhitman
11-11-16, 14:34
lol I think me and reeves1985 are on the same wavelength. Quality with support hence why I wanted the Vu. But now I am not sure. Doesn't look like vix supports the mutant so still not 100# sure.

Ashley69
11-11-16, 16:00
lol I think me and reeves1985 are on the same wavelength. Quality with support hence why I wanted the Vu. But now I am not sure. Doesn't look like vix supports the mutant so still not 100# sure.

Yes it does. Vix works perfect on the Mutant.

maxal
11-11-16, 16:13
Yes it does I have the latest Vix build om my box working just fine.

Djhitman
13-11-16, 09:56
Okay so it does. I read a very old post and then got info from it. 4K tuner does sound good to try and fitureproof maybe souls like at the solo4k or wait for the ultimo

Willmoore
13-11-16, 11:44
If you wait for the 'next' box you'll never make a decision as there's always something new around the corner.

Andy_Hazza
13-11-16, 12:23
Its like saying I'll wait for a new TV, or so n so, soon as you buy technology goes out of date, so if you say you will wait, you will never get one.

Bazzer
13-11-16, 14:50
Me I am waiting for Black Friday for my 4k tv then order the Mutant i:D

Ashley69
13-11-16, 15:01
Don't fall for the Black Friday hype. All they sell is their old stock or stock thats not very popular.

Bazzer
13-11-16, 15:05
Don't fall for the Black Friday hype. All they sell is their old stock or stock thats not very popular.

Only got a grand budget that includes the Mutant as well so the tv ain't gonna be that great :(

Ashley69
13-11-16, 15:09
Look at the LG UHD models. Very good value for money and top TV.

Bazzer
13-11-16, 15:27
Look at the LG UHD models. Very good value for money and top TV.

Thanks Ashley appreciated m8 :thumbsup:

obo110x
13-11-16, 19:35
I'll second that the LG models are superb. I picked one up for £399 12 months ago and it's been great.

Andy_Hazza
13-11-16, 19:53
A good budget tv that obo110x. Won't be anything flashy but do a job no doubt.

Bazzer
13-11-16, 20:45
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-55-led-tv-10144760-pdt.html
Just seen this TV what do you guys reckon well in my budget and get the Mutant and have change for the wifes tin of roses choc to sweetner her up .:D

Andy_Hazza
13-11-16, 21:20
Reviews look good for this, and 4K HDR and £450 saving. If you are nearby a PC World/Currys store, just drop by and take a look at it. If you like it, Get It!! [emoji1360]

Stanman
14-11-16, 10:35
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-55-led-tv-10144760-pdt.html
Just seen this TV what do you guys reckon well in my budget and get the Mutant and have change for the wifes tin of roses choc to sweetner her up .:D
HDR on led will cause light bleed. Venture over to AVF and have a read of owner comments.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

obo110x
15-11-16, 19:12
A good budget tv that obo110x. Won't be anything flashy but do a job no doubt.

4K Smart TV but only 40 inch cracking piece of kit and at a good price