PDA

View Full Version : Anxious newbie

Evert0n1an
10-11-16, 09:05
Good morning, I'm expecting the arrival of my Mutant HD51 4K (bought from WOS) today. Am a little anxious as I'm moving from Sky after several years. I'm interested in adding skins, bouquets, EPGs etc and am confident enough to try things myself but would be good to have some help if needed.

Ashley69
10-11-16, 09:18
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301
Welcome. There are plenty of guides for you on this forum. We will endeavour to answer any questions you have. Enjoy your learning.

Evert0n1an
10-11-16, 09:20
Great, thanks for the quick response

Willmoore
10-11-16, 11:09
Plenty of help here .......... even for Everton fans :p

Ashley69
10-11-16, 13:04
Plenty of help here .......... even for Everton fans :p
They certainly need it at the moment ;)

grimmer1984
11-11-16, 01:57
wow luv it.. this is the first page i click on and there's someone trolling evertonians. boss lar :D

Evert0n1an
11-11-16, 20:11
Ok, so despite the toffee ribbing I've got my Mutant 51 up and running. Its as good as I'd seen on a youtube review of it, and I agree the remote is the biggest let down in that it comes across as cheaper quality than the STB obviously is. That's a shame because the remote is what people see the most of, rather than the build quality of the box. Anyway I've got EPG sorted, Blue HD Skin sorted, Bouquets sorted, Wife able to work it sorted (ish), all much less hassle than I was anticipating. Now I just need to work out how to get KODI on there (currently running it from a raspberry pi2), any catchup TV services and any other tricks of the trade to get more from the box than just a FTA STB. Any pointers welcome.

Andy_Hazza
11-11-16, 20:41
Ok, so despite the toffee ribbing I've got my Mutant 51 up and running. Its as good as I'd seen on a youtube review of it, and I agree the remote is the biggest let down in that it comes across as cheaper quality than the STB obviously is. That's a shame because the remote is what people see the most of, rather than the build quality of the box. Anyway I've got EPG sorted, Blue HD Skin sorted, Bouquets sorted, Wife able to work it sorted (ish), all much less hassle than I was anticipating. Now I just need to work out how to get KODI on there (currently running it from a raspberry pi2), any catchup TV services and any other tricks of the trade to get more from the box than just a FTA STB. Any pointers welcome.

Better Skins than the Blue HD imo, especially with that only being a 720p Skin. Try YouViX-Blue, Confluence or even iSkin Dark or Light, all are 1080p Skins and look way way better. Fully fledge Kodi not available on the Mut@nt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evert0n1an
11-11-16, 21:29
Ah ok, that's the skin I'd seen most of, are the others skylike? before I start changing stuff. Best to keep using Rapberry Pi for NJM etc ?

Andy_Hazza
11-11-16, 21:34
Try the Skins and see what you think, you can't break anything. Sky is yuk, but if that floats your boat you might want to try the SkQ Skin. Not available in the ViX feeds but can be found on the forum. Try a search. Yeah stick to Raspberry Pi for the time being.

Evert0n1an
11-11-16, 21:42
Brill tanks, I'll let you know and ask for help if I get stuck. Needless to say I think I'll be buying another box to put in the back room. So much better than off the shelf Freesat equipment.

kryton
12-11-16, 08:18
If your into the Sky skins then the Frankensky skin by Fraggle is a bit more colourful than the Blue HD skin.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?35053-FrankenSky-skin-for-ViX-by-Fraggle121-Download-ONLY

Andy_Hazza
12-11-16, 08:29
And not been updated in nearly 3 years. Better Skins out there man. Give the nonSKY ones a go. lol

Evert0n1an
14-11-16, 12:04
I have got picons on a usb stick and I've adjusted epg etc to show them. I just can't work out how to transfer them to the HDD or internal flash so that I can run the STB without the usb stick plugged in. Any pointers?

Ashley69
14-11-16, 12:32
Use a FTp programme like Filezilla. Log onto the box using ip address(port21) username root. password leave blank.
Just move the picon folder from USB HDD to root.

Evert0n1an
14-11-16, 14:20
Great that worked a treat. I'd never used FTP before so can now see how it can come in extremely useful.