PDA

View Full Version : General Stupid Questions (Probably)

mrpezzer
08-11-16, 13:11
Hi all,

Pretty new to all this but managed to get my Solo2 running nicely and looking good with OpenVix. I have a couple of questions after reading different threads... excuse me if I'm talking rubbish or being stupid. Also sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

- I've seen a few people talk about using Cable feeds instead of Sat feeds, is this possible I assumed the Solo2 was a Sat box. I have both in my house so would be interested in experimenting if there are any bonuses to using Cable instead??

- I've posted this elsewhere but may as well ask here. Any suggestions of which Kodi builds work best on a Solo2 I get a lot of skin errors and navigation problems?

- If I reflash the box to try a different image I assume I lose all my settings? If so am I able to back it up and reinstall it as it is? I've used the FTP software to change bits if this helps me.

I have more but that will do for now. :)

Cheers
M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Joe_90
08-11-16, 13:30
There are no stupid questions! Terrestrial TV (from an aerial) or cable TV from a provider like Virgin/UPC or whatever requires a different tuner in the box. The Solo2 has two satellite tuners and AFAIK doesn't have a terrestrial/ cable tuner option, but someone more familiar with the model can advise. A DVB-T2 tuner will handle terrestrial SD and HD transmissions in the UK. A DVB-C tuner is needed for reception from cable. Usually these tuners support both DVB-T/T2 and DVB-C. The socket on these tuners normally accepts an IEC TV cable connector (like what plugs into the aerial socket on your TV). Cable TV is normally terminated in an F-plug, which would require an adaptor. A cable TV connection would physically connect to the satellite tuner on your Solo2 but it won't be able to tune or decode anything from it.

Willmoore
08-11-16, 13:40
As Fat Tony says - there are no stupid questions although I have come extremely close :D

1) Solo2 - Sat only
2) Back up your settings - try other images - realise Vix is the best - re-install Vix and use the settings you backed up.
3) Kodi - install areswizard and from there install Orroo - works very well.

mrpezzer
08-11-16, 16:45
Cool. Sat signal is all good so happy with that. Does cable have any pros? Does it get Dave etc unlike Sat? I have youview box too so I can get those if needed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stanman
08-11-16, 18:34
You can use Dvbsky T2 or PCTV 290E tuners, both work with our image.

The main advantage cable has over sat are the HD channels.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mrpezzer
08-11-16, 20:38
Interesting, Googled a little and I see there is a Sundtek USB adapter that I can use with the Solo2 to get Cable.

Does anyone know if this works?

Can you use the two Sat feeds as well at the same time?

I get FTA HD channels with the Sat feeds are there more with Cable? Is Dave on UK cable?

mrpezzer
08-11-16, 20:39
Sorry Stanman, I might of been stupid there, are those similar USB devices?

duoduo
08-11-16, 21:18
I use the vu+ USB turbo tuner with my solo 2 and works a treat for cable

mrpezzer
12-11-16, 13:14
To continue my stupid questions are all sky SD channels stereo all the time?

Stanman
12-11-16, 15:02
Sorry Stanman, I might of been stupid there, are those similar USB devices?
Yes they are.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Joe_90
12-11-16, 15:18
To continue my stupid questions are all sky SD channels stereo all the time?

Well, there should be a left and right channel. But they could be identical if the source material is mono (think old movies or similar :)).

mrpezzer
12-11-16, 15:21
Haha Boom! :) Cheers Tony

mrpezzer
12-11-16, 15:22
No DD then?

Joe_90
12-11-16, 16:42
Do you mean DD surround sound (5.1)? Not on SD. I think always just MP2 stereo.

On HD channels the sound is often marked as DD on my AV amp. But this is mostly 2.0 (stereo) and I can't really hear the difference between it and normal PCM stereo. On some movies and music programmes DD 5.1 is available but this is only occasional. SKY probably have 5.1 on their movie and sports channels but I don't have a sub and don't need or want one either! There is enough for me on FTA channels plus occasional Netflix

sundtek
18-11-16, 04:36
Interesting, Googled a little and I see there is a Sundtek USB adapter that I can use with the Solo2 to get Cable.

Does anyone know if this works?

Can you use the two Sat feeds as well at the same time?

I get FTA HD channels with the Sat feeds are there more with Cable? Is Dave on UK cable?

That works with the Vu+ Solo2, the units are in stock at world of satellite.

DaMacFunkin
18-11-16, 08:42
Do you mean DD surround sound (5.1)? Not on SD. I think always just MP2 stereo.

On HD channels the sound is often marked as DD on my AV amp. But this is mostly 2.0 (stereo) and I can't really hear the difference between it and normal PCM stereo. On some movies and music programmes DD 5.1 is available but this is only occasional. SKY probably have 5.1 on their movie and sports channels but I don't have a sub and don't need or want one either! There is enough for me on FTA channels plus occasional Netflix

There used to be 5.1 on SKY's premium channels in SD many moons ago (obviously only if the master or the broadcast had 5.1 sound) that was back when SKY Movies SD looked fantastic especially if you had the First SA V Drive. When Sky launched HD, they reduced the picture quality on SD, gradually phased out the 5.1 and now you only get 2 channel audio as you say Tony.
Recently i have noticed some (not all) Premier League Football matches that are only Dolby Surround (2 Channel Pro Logic), earlier in the year i was watching a Keanu Reeves film from 2014 which was only 2 channel, that bugged me so much i made a point of hunting down the blu ray to check if there was a 5.1 track available, and the blu ray did have 5.1 sound. So???
So as a point to the OP, not all HD shows on cable are 5.1, it really is down to how Sky broadcast it.

tappari
18-11-16, 12:38
That works with the Vu+ Solo2, the units are in stock at world of satellite.
Yes they do. I have 5 pcs of those in my Duo2, ET10000 and Solo Se V2. But the thing is, when does Sundtek understand that these wonderful tuners are not just for cable but also for terrestrial T2 networks? If you set these tuners as T2 in sundtek controlcenter, you find those as cabletuners until you make the manual change in tunersetup.