PDA

View Full Version : Mut@nt HD51 4K First Impressions.

Ashley69
05-11-16, 18:19
What are your first impressions of the new Mut@nt HD51 4k?

Here are mine.

The box is very fast and responsive.
Build quality as per most Mut@nt boxes.
Remote is very cheap feeling.
Picture quality on HD channels is Fantastic.(connected to my LG UHD TV)
AV output on box set to 2016p multi. Is this right? Does this setting upscale the picture to my TV? I'm asking this because I can't see any noticeable difference from the 1080p settings.
Picture quality on SD channels is terrible. I think I may have to ask for help with the picture settings to improve this.
Vix working nearly perfect. One little bug I found where you can't exit out of input devices menu. Had to unplug to restart the box.
I streamed an UHD film from my NAS and was blown away with the quality. It played perfectly.
Shame it hasn't got transcoding.
Other than SD picture quality the box is very good.

Sicilian
05-11-16, 18:52
Remember hd is broadcast in 1080i, only certain amount of upscaling any box will do. Satellite SD imo is terrible on any box, broadcast bitrates low. Remote could be better but it does work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harkan
05-11-16, 19:11
Hi sicilian very nice software thanks;but Hbbtv and web browser not working;I think we'll wait a bit thank you so much

Sicilian
05-11-16, 19:24
Uk no hbbtv

rsync
05-11-16, 22:24
Hi, i have a Ax 4K HD51.
Openvix run very well.
Some test:
Plugin crossepg work good.
Amb not work, i use isetting for bouquet channels
Oscam run but not emu, i have used other binary with emu its run very well.
Wicardd 1.19 not work.
Change channel from/to emu/reader/cam work good.
That's all for now.
Thanks to OpenVIX team for image.

Sicilian
05-11-16, 22:28
What you mean amb not work? If you mean autobouquestmaker it works spot, use it myself. What provider?

rsync
05-11-16, 23:36
Sorry Sicilian my mistake.

ABM after uninstall/install now is functioning well. ( The problem was ABM not create file bouquet Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?53928-No-Providers&p=422852&viewfull=1#post422852) same problem ).

p.s.
Wait for a working wicardd package for OpenVix.

DaMacFunkin
06-11-16, 10:28
What are your first impressions of the new Mut@nt HD51 4k?

Here are mine.

The box is very fast and responsive.
Build quality as per most Mut@nt boxes.
Remote is very cheap feeling.
Picture quality on HD channels is Fantastic.(connected to my LG UHD TV)
AV output on box set to 2016p multi. Is this right? Does this setting upscale the picture to my TV? I'm asking this because I can't see any noticeable difference from the 1080p settings.
Picture quality on SD channels is terrible. I think I may have to ask for help with the picture settings to improve this.
Vix working nearly perfect. One little bug I found where you can't exit out of input devices menu. Had to unplug to restart the box.
I streamed an UHD film from my NAS and was blown away with the quality. It played perfectly.
Shame it hasn't got transcoding.
Other than SD picture quality the box is very good.

You can change the resolution to 1080 if you like, but when you finally find some of the better 4k satellite channels out there they would only display in 1080.

stavo
06-11-16, 10:48
hi to all, i posted yesterday, re my mutant hd 51 was non responsive to the remote after i had turned it off before going to bed, ( one press of the off button ) it has done the same this morning ime having to pull the power cord and let it re-boot
it seems to turn on/off ok if it hasnt been off for any length of time, any other users having same problem

regards

Stavo utb

Ashley69
06-11-16, 11:09
You can change the resolution to 1080 if you like, but when you finally find some of the better 4k satellite channels out there they would only display in 1080.

Thanks mate. I've found that leaving the resolution on the box at 1080p gives a sharper picture than 2016p. When its set at 2016p it gives the picture a soft look and any print on screen is not as sharp. I played with my box and tv settings for a few hours and in the end went back to 1080p. I think it might be something to do with my LG Tv upscaling to UHD as well. Can't find anywhere to turn the upscaling off on my TV.

Where the 2016p setting did excel was playing a 4K movie from my nas. Amazing picture.

Andy_Hazza
06-11-16, 11:15
My Vu+ Solo 4K and LG OLED 4K give a great SD picture quality. Obviously will never be HD or UHD quality, but great nonetheless. My Vu+ resolution settings is set to 2016p.

Sicilian
06-11-16, 12:10
My Vu+ Solo 4K and LG OLED 4K give a great SD picture quality. Obviously will never be HD or UHD quality, but great nonetheless. My Vu+ resolution settings is set to 2016p.

Both my Mutant and VU+ Solo 4K give similar results on LG OLED TV. Also both similar on 4K LG LED. SD is loads better on OLED, on LED SD both poor as with another other of my boxes.

twol
06-11-16, 14:23
I use a 4K uhd ips monitor and both sd and hd picture from the hd51 is better than my Xtrends

rsync
08-11-16, 13:57
A problem, after night standby, the morning switch on decoder show this error " No free tuner". I have to go reload Enigma. Throughout the day decoder resume with no error from standby. It could be a problem of the night auto-update epg check ?.

p.s.
My AX have two tuner sat but only one is on the other is off.

kegnkiwi
08-11-16, 20:39
Sd channels on my solo 4k and sony led lcd looks pretty sharp, much sharper that on other hd box's i have and tested.

rsync
09-11-16, 09:22
A problem, after night standby, the morning switch on decoder show this error " No free tuner". I have to go reload Enigma. Throughout the day decoder resume with no error from standby. It could be a problem of the night auto-update epg check ?.

p.s.
My AX have two tuner sat but only one is on the other is off.

With crossepg update off. No more 'no free tuner', decoder resume ok of the standby.

Andy_Hazza
09-11-16, 15:47
Can I ask why you have only one tuner setup?

rsync
09-11-16, 16:03
Can I ask why you have only one tuner setup?

At moment i have 2nd cable to other decoder.

Sicilian
09-11-16, 16:21
With crossepg update off. No more 'no free tuner', decoder resume ok of the standby.

Crossepg working fine here, set to download in the morning whilst in standby.

Rob van der Does
09-11-16, 17:31
Depends on the contents.

- Upscaling from HD (1080) to 2160 is straightforward (times 2, so lossless). It will make no difference if the STB does this, or the TV.

- Playback of SD is a different matter. If you set the STB to output 2160 the upscaling will be comparable as when an HD box does this for an HD TV (with output to 1080), only all irregularities are obviously 4 times enlarged (and made smaller again due to the small physical size of the screen pixels.
But when you use AR and let the TV do the upscaling, the result may (and probably will) be different. This is a complicated, not lossless scaling, so the result depends on the quality of the used algorithm. Best try and see for yourself if the result is different and if so which is better.

aido
09-11-16, 20:28
Is that definitely right on the UHD STBs Rob in that 1080 -> 2160 is a direct pixel doubling?

A lot of devices are actually upsampling that conversion and not doing direct pixel doubling and using nearest neighbour or bilinear interpolation etc even when going from 1080 to 2160. Likewise sharpness would affect it.

Panasonic for example have a Pure Direct option on their TVs to make it do straight pixel doubling instead of anything more fancy on a 1080p input and it will bypass sharpness etc.

If the UHD STBs are doing a straight pixel doubling from 1080 to 2160 that may be a good selling point to push although some people may think it seems a bit soft if they're used to sharpening it.

Ashley69
09-11-16, 21:06
Is there a conflict if both TV and STB do the upscaling to 2016. ?

I can't find an option on my LG UHD TV to turn off upscaling. I just wanted to test if the STB or TV had different upscaling qualities.

I am just trying to improve my sd quality. The HD upscaling to UHD is great .

Rob van der Does
10-11-16, 04:49
Is that definitely right on the UHD STBs Rob in that 1080 -> 2160 is a direct pixel doubling?
AFAIK: yes.

Is there a conflict if both TV and STB do the upscaling to 2016. ?
It's not possibe for both to do the same. When the output of the STB is 2160, there's nothing more to upscale for the TV.

I can't find an option on my LG UHD TV to turn off upscaling.
That's correct. The panel has 3840 x 2160 and the TV will make sure that every pixel is being used. So any input that's not 3840 x 2160 will be converted into the panels resolution. But any input that is 3840 x 2160 will remain untouched (resolution wise).

I just wanted to test if the STB or TV had different upscaling qualities.
I am just trying to improve my sd quality. The HD upscaling to UHD is great .
Then make the AR-settings to achieve that. I.e. all HD --> UHD, all lower --> as is.

Joe_90
10-11-16, 15:51
Has anyone tried the HD51 with a motorised dish? Would be interested in your experience.

stavo
10-11-16, 17:59
Has anyone tried the HD51 with a motorised dish? Would be interested in your experience.

Yes mate got it hooked up to a triax 1.1 dish and tm 2600 motor, runs as smooth as a nu,t no problems whats so ever 30 west to 42 east.

regads

Stavo

Sicilian
10-11-16, 18:22
Yes mate got it hooked up to a triax 1.1 dish and tm 2600 motor, runs as smooth as a nu,t no problems whats so ever 30 west to 42 east.

regads

Stavo

What version of the TM-2600? M1, M2 or M3?

When did you buy your HD51? Recent batch last two weeks?

stavo
10-11-16, 19:18
What version of the TM-2600? M1, M2 or M3?

When did you buy your HD51? Recent batch last two weeks?

motor is a mk11 sic, purchased the stb last thursday deliverd next day friday, must say fantasic service from was.

Sicilian
10-11-16, 19:19
motor is a mk11 sic, purchased the stb last thursday deliverd next day friday, must say fantasic service from was.

What tuner setup do you have? What tuner types?

stavo
10-11-16, 19:29
s & c tuner sic, its not a bad little stb for the money i think, however i wish it was the same spec as my 2400 with fbc tuners, ime thinking that will be one for the future, did fancy the solo 4k cant justify the money with what content is on at this moment in time.

hilly
10-11-16, 20:25
I'm waiting for the new gigablue 4k that's coming in 2025 AD ��

Ashley69
05-12-16, 21:32
Update on HD51. 1 month on and I have nothing to update. No issues. Working as it should. Top box. :thumbsup:

Joe_90
05-12-16, 21:42
Just to update on my query about usage with motorised dishes - yes there was an issue, mut@nt fixed it quickly and it now is working smoothly. Love the quick (60 seconds) flash and the super quick boot (30 seconds) from off. Have seen comments about bad remote, but seems fine to me. The keys are a bit close together but no real issue. Now, the remote on a Miraclebox Twin HD - that's a P.O.S. :smash:

twol
05-12-16, 22:26
Yes, those that see my posts know I hate the outer box cover (very cheap) and the remote is average, but the technology is as good as anything currently on the market, and compared to the "other competition" the support is immense...this box is so solid its become my test box

pesser
14-12-16, 21:22
how well does this box handle standard and high definition as i dont have a 4K tv yet?

twol
14-12-16, 21:42
I run the output to a very good 4k ips monitor in 2 ways: 1) direct to the monitor or 2) through a Onkyo amp to the TV.
The latter gives me a direct comparison because although marked as 4K the Onkyo only outputs 1080 ( :) ), so setup as 1080, I can directly compare to my ET8500.
So both sd and hd are better than the picture from the Xtrend, and look really good.
Connected directly and outputing 2160 the picture is brilliant :)
Channel/service switching is really fast.

pesser
14-12-16, 23:38
so close to buying the mutant just couple more questions:D

can i put in my western digital 2tb my passport ultra hhd in it. Also whats the best flash image for it, four options: factory default, OpenVIX, OpenPLI and OpenATV ?

also as im cable only what tuner types should i go with currently thinking of both tuners as hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 or should i have the second tuner as satellite DVB-S/S2 ?

Joe_90
15-12-16, 19:11
so close to buying the mutant just couple more questions:D

can i put in my western digital 2tb my passport ultra hhd in it. Also whats the best flash image for it, four options: factory default, OpenVIX, OpenPLI and OpenATV ?

also as im cable only what tuner types should i go with currently thinking of both tuners as hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 or should i have the second tuner as satellite DVB-S/S2 ?
The mounting cradle inside the HD51 is made for a 2.5" disk. There is a fair bit of space inside the cabinet so it might be possible to jam in a 3.5" but I don't think it would be advisable as you mightn't be able to secure it and I would think it would put a strain on the power supply. A 2.5" is so much quieter in any case. There is no fan inside.

If you're on cable only, then it would be better to have a second cable/terrestrial tuner. Gives you more flexibility to record multiple channels at one. OpenViX image is the best IMHO :thumbsup:

roydash
17-12-16, 23:06
Should I purchase a Mut@nt HD51 4k or the new Vu+ Uno 4k just launched into the market?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

twol
18-12-16, 08:16
Depends on whether you want a fbc tuner ..... otherwise function wise HD51 vs Vu+ same chip, same technology just one believes in support, another doesn,t

roydash
18-12-16, 08:21
Will probably order the Mut@nt HD51. Any thoughts on best flash for this box. Have been using wooshbuild on my Zgemma H2S.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
18-12-16, 09:04
Depends on whether you want a fbc tuner ..... otherwise function wise HD51 vs Vu+ same chip, same technology just one believes in support, another doesn,t
And UNO-4k has transcoding options.

JIZZSTER
19-12-16, 22:22

when I get it connected again ill be using on my motorised dish

DaMacFunkin
20-12-16, 08:26
And UNO-4k has transcoding options.

Your wasting you time, that Twol... i think he was abducted bu VU+ and experimented on or something, he has a real downer on them.

twol
20-12-16, 09:05
Your wasting you time, that Twol... i think he was abducted bu VU+ and experimented on or something, he has a real downer on them.
Well, everyone to their own ... I know Rob feels pretty unimpressed with Xtrend drivers ......Having said that, I am hammering thru code (very slow with my python skills (?) :) ) at the moment to fix the ET8500 lcd skin and when I see the ****, ViX have to do to get Vu4k drivers to work properly, you have to question our sanity:)
Vu really do their product testing on customers:)

Rob van der Does
20-12-16, 09:21
... I know Rob feels pretty unimpressed with Xtrend drivers ......
Well, to be honest: that applies to all brands.
When you realize that in the software department the development of drivers is the only thing a manufacturer has to take care of, as OE & E2 can be grabbed from multiple sources, it's rather disappointing that none of them does a very good job.

twol
20-12-16, 11:53
Well, to be honest: that applies to all brands.
When you realize that in the software department the development of drivers is the only thing a manufacturer has to take care of, as OE & E2 can be grabbed from multiple sources, it's rather disappointing that none of them does a very good job.

Very very true:) Especially as there will always be people willing to pre-test a receiver.....Yes, it an additional pre -production cost but doesn,t half save face in the end .... and dollars on fixing subsequently....... for those that do fix:)

tomsta79
26-12-16, 10:19
lads was thinking of buying this box Mut@nt HD51 4K but read a few bad comments . what do yous think thanks?

bassethound
26-12-16, 11:24
I would wait till the new OCTAGON-SF4008-4K goes on sale end of this month looks like a cracking box for the money

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54508-OCTAGON-SF4008-4K-UHD-2160p-Linux-E2-Receiver

twol
26-12-16, 12:10
Tuners look interesting plus the 3 tuner capability but otherwise similar to the HD51 and no multiple image facility (which I like)

Rob van der Does
26-12-16, 12:12
Well, 3rd-tuner capable makes quite a difference. And DVB-S2X capability as well.

twol
26-12-16, 12:13
Well, 3rd-tuner capable makes quite a difference. And DVB-S2X capability as well.

As I said tuners look interesting:)

bassethound
26-12-16, 12:37
And it can use other brands remotes which should be a bonus to some the wife only like the classic one from Vu+:D

twol
26-12-16, 15:12
...... and so can the Mutant:)

bassethound
26-12-16, 15:19
...... and so can the Mutant:)

good as the original remote is pants :rofl:

twol
26-12-16, 15:23
good as the original remote is pants :rofl:

... cannot really argue with that response:):)