PDA

View Full Version : Cable Tuner Problem

gabertawe
27-10-16, 09:53
Hi Guys

I’ve got a Vu+ Duo 2 which I bought from WoS and set up in the UK in June with twin tuners – Satellite and Terrestial / Cable. Both satellite and terrestrial tuners worked fine in UK but I couldn’t test the cable option.

I’m a newbie with Linux boxes and I’m running the latest open vix image and managed to download a few plugins.

This month I’ve taken the box to Lanzarote and the satellite and terrestrial tuners are working fine here too but I can’t get anything from the cable tuner.

In our apartment we’ve got a connection / wall socket for the huge shared satellite dish which works fine and a connection / wall socket which gives access to both Spanish FTA channels and the apartment block cable system which supplies BBC1, BBC2, ITV and CH4.

On the TV I can switch between Spanish FTA and cable channels but the Vu+ doesn’t find any cable channels when I try a scan. I want to run the cable channels through the Vu+ box so I can record the BBC etc. Programmes.

I’m a bit overwhelmed by the range of options and settings for the cable tuner – I’ve tried lots of combinations but no success whereas the TV’s own tuner just finds the cable channels automatically – no fuss.

Can anyone help please?

DaMacFunkin
27-10-16, 10:33
3 things to consider here:
The Output is actually cable modulated so you need to choose the cable provider in the tuner settings and do a network scan or choose to blind scan all the frequencies if you can't find your provider in the list.
The output is actually DVB-T modulated, switch the tuner to T/T2 and do a blind scan of all the frequencies.
The output is actually UHF modulated (analogue) in which case your out of luck.
Note Blind scan function doesn't work as such for cable, choose cable scan or manual scan, in your tuner settings if you have no list for your provider, choose all frequencys.

gabertawe
27-10-16, 16:55
Many thanks for your suggestions. I suspect this is a homebuilt hybrid system - no provider id - so I've tried cable scanning all frequencies and got no results.
I did wonder if it was DVB-T modulated but I've tried the blind scan on terrestrial channels but again no results.

So I'm wondering if it's actually UHF / analogue - I'll try to find out more here in the apartment block.

Don't suppose there are any linux plugins to access UHF / analogue channels?

gabertawe
28-10-16, 16:20
Looking at options for accessing analogue channels and found a file called tvtime on the askubuntu.com site. Can anyone advise whether this is worth a go? I'm reluctant to upload it without some advice!