PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] What is the Plugin core (4.2+git821)

timofee
23-10-16, 10:47
What is core (4.2+git821) which is a plugin listed under the ViX tab.

Rob van der Does
23-10-16, 10:56
It's the plugin /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ViX that holds the softcam functionality and everything under System --> ViX

timofee
24-10-16, 14:47
Thanks.

Does it create any large files in the root directory of the box called core?

ccs
24-10-16, 15:00
Thanks.

Does it create any large files in the root directory of the box called core?In the Linux/unix world "core" files are usually crash dumps when the system fails unexpectedly.

Rob van der Does
24-10-16, 15:49
Does it create any large files in the root directory of the box called core?
No .

timofee
25-10-16, 13:45
Thanks again for all the information above.

I had a crash and I saw this large file called core. I have had crashes before on pre v4 images and never seen a file called core.

Two more questions:
Can I safely delete this file called core in root
Can I assume that the file called core on my box has no connection at all with the ViX plugin also called core

Rob van der Does
25-10-16, 13:47
I have never seen a file like that. What are the plugins you have installed?

timofee
26-10-16, 09:35
Plugins loaded:
- default plugins loaded on a clean install with no restore.
- Additional plugins loaded oscam, vix-day skin,

The file called core was created at the same time as the crash, the comment by css above about crashes creating a "core" file seems to be the explanation.

Rob van der Does
26-10-16, 09:49
Can you attach the (zipped) file here please?

timofee
26-10-16, 09:51
A bit more information from checking my notes.

The crash was caused when I went into oscam info and looked through the available options

birdman
26-10-16, 10:04
The file called core was created at the same time as the crash, the comment by css above about crashes creating a "core" file seems to be the explanation.The box should be set not to produce them, since anyone who would be able to do anything with them could always re-enable them to get one to work with. Apart from that they just take up a lot of file-system space.
On my system they are turned off (although I can't see how it's done), so not sure how you managed to get one.

(Solaris system, IIRC, had a habit of being set-up with system-based core-dumps, which meant that any user could produce a core file, but it went into a system directory where only root could remove it. The DoS-aspect of this seemed to pass people by...)

timofee
27-10-16, 14:26
I did not do anything special to create the core file. It was created after I did a clean install of ViX 4.2.009, and then five hours later had a crash. I have now deleted the core file.

I have had crashes before on the VU boxes and never seen this core file created. I wonder if it is possible that in the latest ViX releases the setting that turns off the core file dump were accidently left out.

Again, many thanks to ccs and birdman for the information about this file called "core".