PDA

View Full Version : Asus N66 discussion

dfox
13-10-16, 09:45
rossi2000, can this be used as a standalone router or does it need to be connected to a modem?

joysleep1
13-10-16, 10:52
rossi2000, can this be used as a standalone router or does it need to be connected to a modem?

I have this router. It is connected to my bt openreach modem.

dfox
13-10-16, 11:16
I have this router. It is connected to my bt openreach modem.

Ok so I cannot use it as a normal router, it needs to be connected to a modem

DaMacFunkin
13-10-16, 11:16
It can be used as a standalone router and or a wireless access point.
Is this thing even still for sale? It was 10 months ago lol.

dfox
13-10-16, 11:30
That's good so I can use it instead of the router provided by my ISP.

Ha ha have no idea if it is still for sale but I can only ask. If it wasn't I would of thought the thread would have been closed.

Just had a quick look in the for sale section and noticed it.

DaMacFunkin
13-10-16, 11:36
But you will still need to use your router provided by you IP if it is a combined modem/router.
With cable you would just put it into modem mode.

dfox
13-10-16, 12:05
But you will still need to use your router provided by you IP if it is a combined modem/router.
With cable you would just put it into modem mode.

I have just switched from VM to EE, Just wanted to use a different router to the one EE provided.

Can I not just swap it out for that one?

Joe_90
13-10-16, 13:04
What's supplied by an ISP is usually a modem/router. That means that the modem part connects to the phone line (for ADSL or VDSL) or to the cable provider's feed (for Virgin/UPC or whatever) in order to extract the internet protocol data. The router part distributes the data to your home devices, either wirelessly or via CAT 5/6 cable. The device on sale (or sold) in this thread is just a standalone router with wi-fi capabilities so it is perfectly capable of connecting to and routing data to all your home devices (your LAN), but it needs another device to connect to the internet (WAN). This could be a cable modem or ADSL/VDSL modem. Either way, it will need a CAT 5 (RJ45) patch cable to connect to a modem.

The reasons people use these standalone routers vary from needing better wifi coverage to having faster cabled LAN performance or for security reasons or whatever. In the case of your EE supplied modem/router you would put it into bridge mode and turn off all wifi and routing settings. Then you would connect the WAN port of the ASUS router into one of the EE modem LAN ports. You would also need to put your ISP user name and password into the ASUS so it can connect through the EE modem.

The alternative is to get your own router with modem capabilities but you need to ensure that it is compatible with your ISP. In my setup I have a Vodafone supplied VDSL modem/router in bridged mode and use a TP-Link Archer C7 router to support my home LAN and wifi. Hope this makes it clearer :)

kryton
13-10-16, 13:07
I have just switched from VM to EE, Just wanted to use a different router to the one EE provided.

Can I not just swap it out for that one?

No this is just a router, not a modem/router.

You will need to connect it to your EE modem/router if you want internet access through it.

If you want an asus modem/router look for something like the DSL-N66U model.

dfox
13-10-16, 13:10
What's supplied by an ISP is usually a modem/router. That means that the modem part connects to the phone line (for ADSL or VDSL) or to the cable provider's feed (for Virgin/UPC or whatever) in order to extract the internet protocol data. The router part distributes the data to your home devices, either wirelessly or via CAT 5/6 cable. The device on sale (or sold) in this thread is just a standalone router with wi-fi capabilities so it is perfectly capable of connecting to and routing data to all your home devices (your LAN), but it needs another device to connect to the internet (WAN). This could be a cable modem or ADSL/VDSL modem. Either way, it will need a CAT 5 (RJ45) patch cable to connect to a modem.

The reasons people use these standalone routers vary from needing better wifi coverage to having faster cabled LAN performance or for security reasons or whatever. In the case of your EE supplied modem/router you would put it into bridge mode and turn off all wifi and routing settings. Then you would connect the WAN port of the ASUS router into one of the EE modem LAN ports. You would also need to put your ISP user name and password into the ASUS so it can connect through the EE modem.

The alternative is to get your own router with modem capabilities but you need to ensure that it is compatible with your ISP. In my setup I have a Vodafone supplied VDSL modem/router in bridged mode and use a TP-Link Archer C7 router to support my home LAN and wifi. Hope this makes it clearer :)

Exactly what I needed to know.

Cheers mate

dfox
13-10-16, 13:11
No this is just a router, not a modem/router.

You will need to connect it to your EE modem/router if you want internet access through it.

If you want an asus modem/router look for something like the DSL-N66U model.

Spot on cheers

dfox
13-10-16, 15:12

I will probably go down the same route you have, similar setup but I may be contacting you to rack your brains as never really setup anything else on the networking side apart from supplied routers from ISP :thumbsup:

DaMacFunkin
13-10-16, 15:43
...or you could be really creative and route stuff where speed is critical through your existing router, and stuff that is mystical through your vpn router which is what i do...

rossi2000
14-10-16, 13:46
i guess the question was answered. :D thanks all.

dfox
14-10-16, 19:34

Just going back to your post about putting my EE supplied router in bridge mode.

There is not an option for that when I looked but I read somewhere about putting it in fibre/ethernet mode and then turning off DHCP and wifi settings?

Havent got another router yet but when I do I might have some questions ha ha

birdman
18-10-16, 15:18
Cheapest solution: Find out if the router supports bridge mode, if not consider putting the new router in a DMZ (if the EE router supports it), other methods could lead to double NAT issues which may or may not be a problem for you.I have a modem in front of my Asus RT-N66U.
It's on network 192.168.2.x, and sets the Asus (which is 192.168.2.2 on that connexion, but 192.168.1.1 to the rest of my home network) as its DMZ.
NATs not an issue - the Asus handles it all, the Billion modem just passes things back and forth.

Joe_90
18-10-16, 16:40
Just to be clear - if you have a modem in bridge mode in front of your home router, then it is not NAT'ing anything, nor is your router in a DMZ. A modem in bridge mode is a transparent connection to your ISP. Your router will be handling all NAT functions and firewalling etc. The modem is doing nothing other than giving your router a WAN connection.

dfox
18-10-16, 21:42
Just to be clear - if you have a modem in bridge mode in front of your home router, then it is not NAT'ing anything, nor is your router in a DMZ. A modem in bridge mode is a transparent connection to your ISP. Your router will be handling all NAT functions and firewalling etc. The modem is doing nothing other than giving your router a WAN connection.

Yes, this is all I will be trying to achieve with the setup for the minute.

Just waiting on the Asus turning up then I can look at putting the ISP router into bridge mode. Somehow.

Thanks

Joe_90
18-10-16, 21:52
I just wanted to be clear that your internet security is in your own hands once you put the ISP modem into bridge mode. What is the make and model of the modem?
When I got the Vodafone fibre modem almost three years ago the bridge function was hidden but after a lot of feedback from customers they issued a firmware update which enabled the function. What the ISP won't do is provide any support once you put the device into bridged mode as all the routing etc. is your responsibility.

birdman
19-10-16, 02:35
Just to be clear - if you have a modem in bridge mode in front of your home router, then it is not NAT'ing anything, nor is your router in a DMZ. A modem in bridge mode is a transparent connection to your ISP. Your router will be handling all NAT functions and firewalling etc. The modem is doing nothing other than giving your router a WAN connection.Just out of (my) curiosity - does such a bridged modem have an IP address of its own, so that you may actually connect to it to configure it? I assume it does (since if it doesn't you can't talk to it at all...), but wasn't sure - which is why I left mine unbridged.

dfox
19-10-16, 12:14
I just wanted to be clear that your internet security is in your own hands once you put the ISP modem into bridge mode. What is the make and model of the modem?
When I got the Vodafone fibre modem almost three years ago the bridge function was hidden but after a lot of feedback from customers they issued a firmware update which enabled the function. What the ISP won't do is provide any support once you put the device into bridged mode as all the routing etc. is your responsibility.

Ok I see, So I will have to enable all security features on the Asus etc.

I will post make and model when I get in.

Thanks

Joe_90
19-10-16, 12:21
Just out of (my) curiosity - does such a bridged modem have an IP address of its own, so that you may actually connect to it to configure it? I assume it does (since if it doesn't you can't talk to it at all...), but wasn't sure - which is why I left mine unbridged.
Yes it does. My (bridged) modem has an address range of 192.168.1.x so if you plug directly into it from your PC you can access the management web server on 192.168.1.1 and configure it from there. With my TP-link router in place my LAN is on 192.168.0.x so I can't link to the ISP modem management web page through it, needs a direct connection. Works well for me, no issues. The TP-Link router has much better wifi coverage in the house, has 1Gb/s ethernet ports and the firmware is Open WRT so I feel a bit more in control of the LAN environment (pauses to adjust tin-foil hat).:sofahide:

birdman
19-10-16, 18:54
Yes it does. My (bridged) modem has an address range of 192.168.1.x so if you plug directly into it from your PC you can access the management web server on 192.168.1.1 and configure it from there. With my TP-link router in place my LAN is on 192.168.0.x so I can't link to the ISP modem management web page through itJust adding a route on your TP-link to 192.168.0.x over the WAN interface should work, then...

birdman
19-10-16, 18:56
The TP-Link router has much better wifi coverage in the house, has 1Gb/s ethernet ports...as does the Asus RT-N66U.
It also allows you to run a little Linux server (command line access...). So I do...
Not documented by Asus anywhere, but easy to set-up.
I even have a Fortran complier for mine (although I did have to build that in an VirtualBox copy of the set-up to get enough memory).

dfox
19-10-16, 20:37
fat-tony, make of modem just says bright box (R) wireless router. Doesn't say model number or anything. I'll have to login to it and see if it displays anything else.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Joe_90
19-10-16, 21:34
I did a bit of a google but there doesn't seem to be a big (or good) community of users who have modded or hacked this EE modem/router, but you may be able to search more precisely once you have the details on the model etc. Here in Ireland, the community on boards dot ie swung into action once Vodafone had released their Huawei modem and eircom had released the Zyxel modem for fibre use and very soon we had hacks for getting into bridged mode or tweaking QoS or bypassing the port forwarding restrictions.

dfox
20-10-16, 09:36
I did a bit of a google but there doesn't seem to be a big (or good) community of users who have modded or hacked this EE modem/router, but you may be able to search more precisely once you have the details on the model etc. Here in Ireland, the community on boards dot ie swung into action once Vodafone had released their Huawei modem and eircom had released the Zyxel modem for fibre use and very soon we had hacks for getting into bridged mode or tweaking QoS or bypassing the port forwarding restrictions.

Ok seems a lot of faffing around with this EE Brightbox just to use it as a modem.

Could I use this as the modem instead and take out the ISP supplied router altogether?

BT OpenReach Model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B

DaMacFunkin
20-10-16, 10:00
Just to add my configuration if i can remember it:

VM SH3 in modem mode, ip 192.168.0.1, Wan out to...

Asus AC87U ip address 192.168.1.1 using isp dns settings, then lan into wan on

Asus AC68U ip address 192.168.2.1 using smart dns settings / vpn

Computer connected to AC87U can connect to modem by typing http://192.168.100.1 (the http:// is needed if using IE)

Computer connected to AC87U can connect to AC68U router settings by typing http://192.168.1.122:xx (.122 is the static address i assigned the AC68U in the AC87U router devices list, xx is the port number i chose to access the AC68U settings page in it's own settings page.

Computer connected to AC87U can access device connected to AC68U by typing http://192.168.1.122:xx (followed by a port number that is set in the AC68U's port forwarding page, you can set different ports to access different features such as ftp, telnet webif etc on that particular device)

A device connected to AC68U can access modem, AC87U and anything connected to them by typing in their default address.

Accessing the AC68U from a device connected to it requires 192.168.2.1, everything connected to this router will have an ip address of 192.168.2.xxx.

I have wireless set up on both Asus routers, restricted to low end channels on one router and high end channels on the other so there is no interference, this enables me to jump in and out of vpn access on tablets and smart phones.

dfox
20-10-16, 14:53
Ok, just waiting on EE coming back to me to hopefully confirm how to use it as modem but have a feeling they will say something along the lines of:

"if you switch the router to Fibre Type then you can select a Bridging Protocol, but this option is not available to ADSL. Whether it will work on an ADSL connection will be try it & see.

Otherwise I think you can achieve to same effect by disabling DHCP & NAT on the BB and ensuring it is on same subnet as your other router."

Any thoughts on this and will it work?

dfox
20-10-16, 21:44
OK got as far as disabling DHCP and NAT on the BB and started setting up the Asus but got to login to the user interface and it was asking for an Asus user account username and password. Which I don't have and isn't default admin and admin.

ccs
20-10-16, 21:47
Can you factory reset it?

dfox
20-10-16, 22:02
Can you factory reset it?
Probably but it's back in the box at the minute. Struggle to find time to wash the car neve mind set this up ha ha.

I'll have to have another look at the weekend.