PDA

View Full Version : Poor picture quality vix 4.2

Meadsmat
14-10-16, 04:20
I have an ET10k Upgraded from Vix 3.2.036 to 4.2 and hit the same problem as others using ET8k. Even HD is not as sharp as it was with 3.2 and SD has vertical lines/bands, very visible on poorer film/program source. Also 4.2 is very slow to change to Radio source, whereas 3.2 is instant. Gone back to 3.2.036 and great picture quality again. So will stay there. My VU+ Solo2 has 3.2.035 and is fine and will leave that well alone. Old adage seems to step in here, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

Andy_Hazza
14-10-16, 05:52
No such issues with the Vu+ Solo2. You will be ok to update that and at least you will have access to the feeds/plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 06:52
No such issues with the Vu+ Solo2.
And not with any of my boxes either.
I take it you didn't install the video enhancement plugin, and disabled all so-called video enhancers on your telly?

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 06:59
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.
From this I take it you don't want understand what updates are about. Indeed: bug fixing takes place all the time, so things that are broken in one version, could be fixed in another. But mainly it's a matter of development: we tend to enhance our images, add extra functionality and extra features. You may or may not like them, but that's nothing to do with 'broken'.
Of course: if you're happy with an old image, and you don't mind it to be unsupported and without feeds: feel free to use that.
on the other hand: since we spend literally thousands of hours to do what we do, and we supply everything for free, a somewhat more detailed (bug?) report, complete with all kinds of details, might help us to find any issue (if there is actually one). As none of our team can reproduce any PQ-related issues, we can't 'fix' anything by statements that people revert to very old image-versions.

Andy_Hazza
14-10-16, 07:17
No I don't use the video enhancement plugin. I don't have the need to do so, as I do all my tweaks via my tv's. [emoji4]

kryton
14-10-16, 08:30
As none of our team can reproduce any PQ-related issues, we can't 'fix' anything by statements.

But what receivers are your team running? Could this be a simple case of they dont run any of the 3 makes of receivers that have been discussed on this topic?
I recall Abu has seen the seen the same problem on his lx3, does he not have any input on the images you guys make?

Im not knocking you or the team at all so forgive me if you think i am but this is a known problem and would love to see you guys sort it out.

Im dieing to try the new iskin :-)

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 08:53
A skin has nothing to do with PQ. If you're not satisfied with the quality of the OSD (skin) please try a 1080-skin: they're available on the feeds.
PQ itself is only about the quality of the video contents.

But: whatever any PQ-related issue: an image can't change anything in that area. It's fully hardware/driver dependant.
Most boxes and surely all makes are in the team, and we always try to reproduce issues reported by our esteemed audiance.

tappari
14-10-16, 08:55
I´m having no problems with picture quality ET10000/Sony KDL-52HX903. I am using video enhancement plugin. Basic mode for video in ET10000 is 576i/50 Hz/16:9. I trust Sony can handle the scaling.

kryton
14-10-16, 08:57
A skin has nothing to do with PQ. I

You misunderstand mate.
I never said i was having skin problems or that it is the cause.
I said im wanting to try the new iskin in 4.2....but sadly cant....at the moment anyway.

twol
14-10-16, 08:58
No I don't use the video enhancement plugin. I don't have the need to do so, as I do all my tweaks via my tv's. [emoji4]

So you turn off all TV "tweaks" ? The only good tweak on a TV is to use either a THX calibrated display option(which will turn off all the tweaks) or get it properly calibrated

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 09:00
I am using video enhancement plugin.
why? Which settings?

Basic mode for video in ET10000 is 576i/50 Hz/16:9. I trust Sony can handle the scaling.
That's about the worst possible setting you can think of. Now all video is being downscaled by the box to that extreme low resolution, and then again upscaled by your telly. Both scalings are not lossfree.
Why would you choose such a setting? If you're happy with the result you're either very far away from your screen (over 5 meter), or your eyes are very bad.

kryton
14-10-16, 09:06
But: whatever any PQ-related issue: an image can't change anything in that area. It's fully hardware/driver dependant.

This is a question ive asked a few times...but nobody has come up with an answer yet, so maybe you can shed some light on it?.

If the above statement is true then why does this not happen in 4.1 and below? Ive been told there was no driver upates by xtrend in 4.2 either so surely it cant be a driver issue?

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 09:17
There's simply nothing in any image that does anything with the PQ; it's the SoC that handles the complete TS, up to the video output. The drivers are indeed involved, as they govern the SoC. For driver updates one can have a look at the OE-A change logs.
The ET8000/1000 had a kernel (and hence a driver) update some time this year. It's known that this update had some drawbacks (old bug revived), so possibly also in this area. atm I only have a 32"TV at my disposal: on that one I have PQ-issues with my 8000.

kryton
14-10-16, 09:22
There's simply nothing in any image that does anything with the PQ; it's the SoC that handles the complete TS, up to the video output. The drivers are indeed involved, as they govern the SoC. For driver updates one can have a look at the OE-A change logs.
The ET8000/1000 had a kernel (and hence a driver) update some time this year. It's known that this update had some drawbacks (old bug revived), so possibly also in this area. atm I only have a 32"TV at my disposal: on that one I have PQ-issues with my 8000.

That makes perfect sense and was the answer i was looking for.
I havnt read the change log to be fair, i was just going on what i was told about the driver when i first noticed the issue which lead me to beleive there was a bug within the image.

Lets hope xtrend can resolve the kernal/driver issue then.
Untill then im happy to stay with 4.1.

Thanks Rob.

ccs
14-10-16, 09:34
I've not noticed any PQ issues with my ET10K with 4.2 using a Sony tv.

tappari
14-10-16, 09:41
why? Which settings?

That's about the worst possible setting you can think of. Now all video is being downscaled by the box to that extreme low resolution, and then again upscaled by your telly. Both scalings are not lossfree.
Why would you choose such a setting? If you're happy with the result you're either very far away from your screen (over 5 meter), or your eyes are very bad.
I am also using autoresolution with settings HD interlace Mode = 1080i and HD Progressive Mode = 720p. My video enhancement setup is Scaler sharpness = 20, others default.

Joe_90
14-10-16, 09:51
I am also using autoresolution with settings HD interlace Mode = 1080i and HD Progressive Mode = 720p. My video enhancement setup is Scaler sharpness = 20, others default.

You said in your previous post that you were using 576i as the resolution setting and did not mention autoresolution. My recollection is that the AV settings require either a specific resolution OR autoresolution :confused: If you set it to 576i, then you will reduce even HD channels to SD resolution in the box and the TV will not be able to display them properly. The TV will "scale" the picture to fill the screen, but it can't re-create lost resolution if you remove it in the STB. The autoresolution settings introduce all sorts of variables into the picture quality which may cause issues for some TVs but I presume you are happy with the results. In my case for DVB-S/T viewing (I only using my STB for TV/radio) I leave the AV settings at 1080i 50Hz. The box seems to be as good as the TV at scaling SD resolutions so it suits my situation.

DaMacFunkin
14-10-16, 10:18
So you turn off all TV "tweaks" ? The only good tweak on a TV is to use either a THX calibrated display option(which will turn off all the tweaks) or get it properly calibrated

Even a THX preset mode is not that involved, it just means that the contrast, brightness and colors where tuned to not be clipping using rec 709 & 2.4 gamma as a very rough guide when leaving the factory, it in no way will be as accurate as a full calibration, and in many peoples set ups will leave the picture looking to dark.

DaMacFunkin
14-10-16, 10:30
TBH honest both of my main TV's do a better job of scaling SD channels via their internal freesat tuners as any of my VU+ boxes do, I don't think auto resolution plug in works on solo4k, it certainly didn't the first time i tried it, no biggy as the amount of SD TV i watch is next to none.
A decent tv will always scale better than a box, it is possible that some boxes inbetween driver versions have changed scaler sharpness, some people see it more than others, some peoples panel's respond to it in different ways.
Also settings for one Manufacturers box might not match another, some tuners's zero point for sharpness is 20, anything below softens, everything above sharpens then introduces noise.
Some tuners have 50 as zero point.

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 11:39
Lets hope xtrend can resolve the kernal/driver issue then.
I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. the 8k & 10k are end of life and so far Xtrend has clearly shown no interest in them any more. Even the regression that took pace with the actual drivers has never been fixed.

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 11:46
A decent tv will always scale better than a box,
That is absolutely not true. Many tests on several forums have proven that is is seldom (if ever) possible to see any difference in PQ, comparing STB/TV scaling. And some TV's actually even do a far worse job in this respect.
Autoresolution has the disadvantage that you'll always have to wait for the TV to switch.

kryton
14-10-16, 11:46
I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. the 8k & 10k are end of life and so far Xtrend has clearly shown no interest in them any more. Even the regression that took pace with the actual drivers has never been fixed.
What a shame.
Looks like it could go up for sale then.
Cheers mate

DaMacFunkin
14-10-16, 11:50
I agree, but exceptions exist unfortunately. I've had a fair few screens from several brands, my old Samsung LED scaled SD well, the much newer Samsung plasma I got to replace it was awful at scaling SD, it genuinely looked terrible. The Panasonic's of the same year wiped the floor with both. For the Samsung plasma the best solution I found was to use the box scaler and feed the screen native resolution content, with that it was fine and looked loads better. Sharpness should be as low as possible and edge enhancement off (ideally use movie/THX/cinema as it turns off most of the screen processing crap). We're way past the point where it was in any way useful.

If I owned one of the boxes (it mainly seems to be Xtrend) that was affected i'd probably look to an image that made use of the older driver and ideally had plugin support (not that it's particularly hard to add them manually), the change log should tell you what you need to know.

Mmm one of those Panasonic plasma's you mention i think i own, check my sig, TBH it pretty much wiped the floor with most things, especially when calibrated after a decent run in period, a lot would argue it was even better than it's replacement.
Even though i own a 65" HDR 4K TV i sometimes look at that VT50 and go all dough eyed.

DaMacFunkin
14-10-16, 12:06
That is absolutely not true. Many tests on several forums have proven that is is seldom (if ever) possible to see any difference in PQ, comparing STB/TV scaling. And some TV's actually even do a far worse job in this respect.
Autoresolution has the disadvantage that you'll always have to wait for the TV to switch.

Look Rob there are £500 40" tv's and £4000 65" tv's, thats what i'm basing my results on, and i never said that they did a better job from an native SD input over HDMI as opposed to SD scaled to 1080i pumped in via HDMI, i said the internal tuners.
I can also point you to forums for lots of media players where it is proven that most 4k TV's will do a better job at scaling 1080p than the box itself, The Nvidia shield is a prime example, it's 4k scaling of 1080p content is not the best, with spmc you can get the box to use Lancoz3 as a scaler by hacking the advancedsettings.xml but it still isn't as good as most Tv's, as even the Kodi and spmc developers will testify.
Also yes i know auto resolution is a pain and you need to wait for the TV to switch, that is why i don't use it, also the only SDchannels i watch need to be decrypted by the box, so i couldn't watch them on the TV anyway.
Just because one person can't see something, doesn't mean another can't, i still know lots of people who can't tell the difference between watching a scaled SD channel and a HD channel, me i could probably shoot the nads off a nat at 400 yards.

twol
14-10-16, 13:13
The trouble was that Samsung blew away the competition and killed Panasonics plasma,s through cheap LCD,s - now perhaps Samsung are reaping the "benefits" with LG's OLED (plus more and more brands using LG Oleds) threatening their business, coupled to their recent and ongoing phone issue - couldn't happen to a nicer company :)

Joe_90
14-10-16, 14:46
My Samsung is having its second panel replacement in six months tomorrow. I think it's panel delamination as there are dark smudges when it is displaying bright images. First panel lasted 11 months. Maybe an LG next time?

Rob van der Does
14-10-16, 15:08
Look Rob there are £500 40" tv's and £4000 65" tv's, thats what i'm basing my results on, and i never said that they did a better job from an native SD input over HDMI as opposed to SD scaled to 1080i pumped in via HDMI, i said the internal tuners.
I can also point you to forums for lots of media players where it is proven that most 4k TV's will do a better job at scaling 1080p than the box itself, The Nvidia shield is a prime example, it's 4k scaling of 1080p content is not the best, with spmc you can get the box to use Lancoz3 as a scaler by hacking the advancedsettings.xml but it still isn't as good as most Tv's, as even the Kodi and spmc developers will testify.
We were talking about E2-STB's, not about mediaplayers etc.
All Broadcom SoC's have very good scalers, and even my OLED TV (LG EF950V) doesn't do a better job in this respect tham my STB's.
Anyway: you have the choice to let the TV do the scaling by using the embedded AR.

tappari
14-10-16, 15:25
When I´m
My Samsung is having its second panel replacement in six months tomorrow. I think it's panel delamination as there are dark smudges when it is displaying bright images. First panel lasted 11 months. Maybe an LG next time?
When I`m talking about tv, I`m talking about proper tv, not Samsung.

Joe_90
14-10-16, 16:45
When I´m
When I`m talking about tv, I`m talking about proper tv, not Samsung.

What's "proper tv"? I think Samsung were one of the biggest manufacturers of LCD panels. There are fewer and fewer panel manufacturers now, so Samsung and Panasonic are using Chinese panels or have moved to OLED. My TV is LCD with LED backlighting. OLED for my next TV, but not just yet! We'll see how long this replacement screen lasts...

tappari
14-10-16, 17:25
What's "proper tv"? I think Samsung were one of the biggest manufacturers of LCD panels. There are fewer and fewer panel manufacturers now, so Samsung and Panasonic are using Chinese panels or have moved to OLED. My TV is LCD with LED backlighting. OLED for my next TV, but not just yet! We'll see how long this replacement screen lasts...
The calculated lifetime for your Samsung tv is around two years. After that electrolytic capacitors in power-supply unit will finish it.
Let me tell this more exactly. The way is to place capacitors that normally have to be wet, you place them next to the heatsinks of powersemiconducters. That will dry them in two years. And you will by another tv.

Sicilian
15-10-16, 07:40
The Nvidia shield is a prime example, it's 4k scaling of 1080p content is not the best,

Off topic I know, imo Nvidia shield is just a load of over rated junk. Only decent thing about it is the Plex client. PQ Quality output is the worst I've seen on ANY Android box. Venz V10 Pro blows it away for PQ output and its a lot less expensive! http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/media-players-and-streaming/Android-MultiMedia-Players/venztech/venz-tech-v10-pro-android-6-kodi-media-player-streamer-4k-uhd-hdr-vp9

Meadsmat
15-10-16, 15:50
Ref. my original Post "Poor picture quality vix 4.2" on XTrend 10k. Being an Electronics Engineer, I can relate to some of the comments made, but can categorically state, that with no video enhancements ever been installed and the Receiver has only ever had out-of-the-box bare images installed, that 3.2 is better on that receiver than 4.2. I have re-installed both images 3 times to be sure. As to the comment of my attitude towards Updates, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT, in my case, I have no problems with 3.2, it provides me with all the functions I need and therefore, it makes no sense to change that. I do however appreciate the work the Vix Team does and in no way, was my Post a complaint to them, just an observation.

Meadsmat
15-10-16, 15:55
Ref. my original Post "Poor picture quality vix 4.2" on XTrend 10k. Being an Electronics Engineer, I can relate to some of the comments made, but can categorically state, that with no video enhancements ever been installed and the Receiver has only ever had out-of-the-box bare images installed, that 3.2 is better on that receiver than 4.2. I have re-installed both images 3 times to be sure. As to the comment of my attitude towards Updates (Rob van der Does), IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT, in my case, I have no problems with 3.2, it provides me with all the functions I need and therefore, it makes no sense for me to change that. I do however appreciate the work the Vix Team does and in no way, was my Post a complaint to them, just an observation.

ccs
15-10-16, 16:10
One difference between 3.2 and 4.2 is that the latter has to be set up from scratch.
Could there be a setting you have missed/changed?

gibbletts
15-10-16, 17:31
Off topic I know, imo Nvidia shield is just a load of over rated junk. Only decent thing about it is the Plex client. PQ Quality output is the worst I've seen on ANY Android box. Venz V10 Pro blows it away for PQ output and its a lot less expensive! http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/media-players-and-streaming/Android-MultiMedia-Players/venztech/venz-tech-v10-pro-android-6-kodi-media-player-streamer-4k-uhd-hdr-vp9

Disagree I get excellent picture I really like it it's my favourite android box yet

twol
15-10-16, 18:28
(Un?) fortunately a TV picture is only as good as the eye of the beholder :)

Sicilian
16-10-16, 06:50
Disagree I get excellent picture I really like it it's my favourite android box yet

Mine got returned, over rated and over priced.

rimas
16-10-16, 14:15
I have an ET10k Upgraded from Vix 3.2.036 to 4.2 and hit the same problem as others using ET8k. Even HD is not as sharp as it was with 3.2 and SD has vertical lines/bands, very visible on poorer film/program source. Also 4.2 is very slow to change to Radio source, whereas 3.2 is instant.
I don't have any PQ problems with ViX 4.2. Installed ViX 3.2 to try and the PQ remained the same. I have an ET10k G-Edition maybe this matters.
However changing radio and tv sources is much slower in ViX 4.2. This also applies to Vu+ Uno, which I have.

Rob van der Does
16-10-16, 14:35
However changing radio and tv sources is much slower in ViX 4.2. This also applies to Vu+ Uno, which I have.
On FTA services?

rimas
16-10-16, 16:42
On FTA services?
On any services. And it's slow on switching to radio channel. There is a 3-4 sec extra delay. Switching back to TV is normal.

Rob van der Does
16-10-16, 16:46
I really can't confirm that, not on a VU, nor on any other box.

kryton
17-10-16, 23:08
Out of curiosity i tried openPLI tonight just to see what happened.
I can confirm the same poor quality , so must be driver related and to be honest i would rather stay with vix 4.1 than use openPLI even if it had fixed the problem.

So apologies to the vix team for ever doubting your work and thanks to Xtrend for ruining a perfectly good receiver.

Is there any chance of getting rossi's iskin onto 4.1?
Thats my main reason for me wanting to update so i can use this skin.

Andy_Hazza
17-10-16, 23:39
I'll grab the iSkin folder tomorrow for ya n upload here. Remind me if I forget though. [emoji4]

kryton
17-10-16, 23:51
I'll grab the iSkin folder tomorrow for ya n upload here. Remind me if I forget though. [emoji4]

Cheers Andy.
I did try this whilst i was at 4.2 build 6
I copied the iskin and common folder from usr/share/enigma2 to pc then put it back onto 4.1, it seemed to work at first but then crashed when trying to enter the menus.
Not sure why Unless im missing a folder from another location.

Rob van der Does
18-10-16, 04:29
The crash log will give a clue.

kryton
18-10-16, 06:00
The crash log will give a clue.

Cant be bothered to flash up and down again just to grab the folders so if Andy would be so kind to upload the theme here i will submit a crash log.

Sicilian
18-10-16, 06:24
Out of curiosity i tried openPLI tonight just to see what happened.
I can confirm the same poor quality , so must be driver related and to be honest i would rather stay with vix 4.1 than use openPLI even if it had fixed the problem.

Once again, its not drivers. OpenViX build 4.1.010 onwards inc 4.2 series ALL have the same drivers
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commits/3.4/meta-brands/meta-xtrend/recipes-drivers/et-dvb-modules-et10000.bb

Andy_Hazza
18-10-16, 06:48
Cant be bothered to flash up and down again just to grab the folders so if Andy would be so kind to upload the theme here i will submit a crash log.

Here you go >> 50965

kryton
18-10-16, 08:03
Once again, its not drivers. OpenViX build 4.1.010 onwards inc 4.2 series ALL have the same drivers
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commits/3.4/meta-brands/meta-xtrend/recipes-drivers/et-dvb-modules-et10000.bb

Once again only builds 4.1 008 (not tried 009) and below appear to work correctly (no vertical lines) except for build 003 where the LAN connection doesnt work and 4.1 001 being the most stable.
So if my problem is with builds 4.1 010 to 016 and builds 4.2 then surely this is no coincidence?

So if you keep on insisting its not the drivers...and its not my tv then its an image fault? (obviously not as openPLI does the same) or then it must be a faulty box? In which case it should be returned to the sponsor?
As the box is only 10 months old.

kryton
18-10-16, 08:04
Here you go >> 50965

Thanks Andy. Im very greatful.
Will try it after work.

Sicilian
18-10-16, 08:08
If builds 4.1.010 are ok then it's not a hardware fault.

kryton
18-10-16, 08:13
If builds 4.1.010 are ok then it's not a hardware fault.

Thats what im trying to tell you, builds 4.1 010 to 016 have the same vertical line issue, as do the series of 4.2 builds all containing the same driver...the same goes for openPLI.

As these problems only occur with these builds all containing the updated driver surely that says something?
Ive ruled out image and hardware faults myself.

Sicilian
18-10-16, 08:14
Have you tested OpenAtv?

kryton
18-10-16, 08:21
Have you tested OpenAtv?

To be honest mate i havnt, ive flashed my box that many times in the last 2 weeks its getting a bit tedious.

But all facts seem to point at the driver if your saying it was updated in 4.1 010 and above as only these builds show the vertical line problem.
OpenPLI is exactly the same so an image fault should be ruled out.

Ive flashed 4.1 008 , 004 , 003 , 001 and these all work fine as do builds 3.2.

Rob van der Does
18-10-16, 08:28
And I repeat: there's nothing in the image that does anything at all with PQ; it's only driver related.

kryton
18-10-16, 08:30
And I repeat: there's nothing in the image that does anything at all with PQ; it's only driver related.

I get that, if you read my posts i state quite clearly its not the image.
It obviously a driver related fault but Sicilian disagrees.
So whats left to rule out?

Rob van der Does
18-10-16, 08:39
I really have no idea. Only thing I could imagine is different TV settings (or Amp, if one is in the line). e.g. video-'enhancers' enabled. Or the plugin 'video enhancement'.

kryton
18-10-16, 08:46
I really have no idea. Only thing I could imagine is different TV settings (or Amp, if one is in the line). e.g. video-'enhancers' enabled. Or the plugin 'video enhancement'.

Yeah ive tried the video enhancement plugin mate and the script that was posted by Abu (made by aido) these both solve the problem but you have to either run the script or mess with the plugin each time the box comes out of standby....which in itself gets tedious to lol. Tried adding the script to a cron timer but it doesnt have the desired effect.

Also playing with the tv settings on 2 tv's makes no difference.

I really apologise for going over old ground but im just trying to find out why a box only ten months old is now displaying vertical lines on the latest builds from the OE-A

If it cant be updated then eventually it will become redundant.

kryton
18-10-16, 23:21
Here you go >> 50965

Cheers Andy but its a no go.

In not so many words....collected errors
Cannot install openvix-iskin-dark.......
4.2git682+913a0bd due to incompatible architecture.....

Im no scientist but i guess thats telling me its not compatible with 4.1

Thanks for the upload tho.
Appreciated mate.

Andy_Hazza
19-10-16, 05:29
Cheers Andy but its a no go.

In not so many words....collected errors
Cannot install openvix-iskin-dark.......
4.2git682+913a0bd due to incompatible architecture.....

Im no scientist but i guess thats telling me its not compatible with 4.1

Thanks for the upload tho.
Appreciated mate.

I thought as much. Bugger. Soz mate. I could grab the folder from my receiver to see what that does if you wanted to try?

kryton
19-10-16, 06:19
Thanks Andy but already tried that.
The GUI restarts ok but as soon as you open the EPG or a menu the box crashes.
Thinking of selling and going back to VU.

Andy_Hazza
19-10-16, 06:25
Thanks Andy but already tried thay.
The GUI restarts ok but as soon as you open the EPG or a menu the box crashes.

Okay mate. You can't go wrong with the Vu+ Solo2, still a great receiver imo. The Mut@nt HD51 looks interesting too. [emoji4]

ccs
19-10-16, 13:00

Am I right in saying that running the commands...

echo 1 > /proc/stb/vmpeg/0/pep_block_noise_reduction
echo 0 > /proc/stb/vmpeg/0/pep_block_noise_reduction

actually fixes the problem?

kryton
19-10-16, 13:05
Am I right in saying that running the commands...

echo 1 > /proc/stb/vmpeg/0/pep_block_noise_reduction
echo 0 > /proc/stb/vmpeg/0/pep_block_noise_reduction

actually fixes the problem?

Yes mate i think they are the commands within the script.

Arnt these settings also what the video enhancer plugin changes? They do work but having to run them each time you wake the box from standby is a pain in the......

ccs
19-10-16, 13:25
... but adding them to a cron job doesn't work?

What did you put in the cron job?

rossi2000
19-10-16, 13:29
i don't think iskin will work on an image less than 4.2.
4.2 has stuff in it to make skin fully functional.

kryton
19-10-16, 13:32
It does work but you can only do it in minutes and as i understand its minutes past the hour?
So if you set it for 10 minutes then its executed at 10 minutes past every hour....
So sometimes after bringing the receiver out of standby you had to wait for the cron to execute the script.

I have tried setting it so it runs every 10 minutes with */10 * * * * but this doesnt work.
Ive been trying to see modify the standby.pyo to execute the script when exiting standby....there was a tutorial on a site...but that didnt work either.

Joe_90
19-10-16, 13:33
... but the skin is just the GUI and won't affect the actual picture quality, would it? The on-screen graphics may look better but it's hardly going to fix the video stream? I'm puzzled as to why MPEG block noise reduction is being set in the first place and presumably this script just turns it off?

kryton
19-10-16, 13:39
... but the skin is just the GUI and won't affect the actual picture quality, would it? The on-screen graphics may look better but it's hardly going to fix the video stream? I'm puzzled as to why MPEG block noise reduction is being set in the first place and presumably this script just turns it off?

Its not the skin thats the problem mate. The vertical lines appear with any skin set. I was just trying to see if i could use the new iskin thats in the 4.2 feeds as im having to use 4.1.

Theres a thread here relating to the issue, i think aido explains the noise block reduction better than i do: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?51073-Vertical-lines-on-SD-content-seems-like

ccs
19-10-16, 13:41
It does work but you can only do it in minutes and as i understand its minutes past the hour?
So if you set it for 10 minutes then its exicuted at 10 minutes past every hour....
So sometimes after bringing the receiver out of standby you had to wait for the cron to execute the script.

I have tried setting it so it runs every 10 minutes with */10 * * * * but this doesnt work.
Ive been trying to see modify the standby.pyo to execute the script when exiting standby....there was a tutorial on a site...but that didnt work either.
To be honest, I don't think cron is suitable, there's a file called /etc/rc.local which is run at system boot.
You'd be best waiting for someone to confirm that that's the way to proceed, or that I'm talking rubbish.

Joe_90
19-10-16, 13:48
Its not the skin thats the problem mate. The vertical lines appear with any skin set. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?51073-Vertical-lines-on-SD-content-seems-like

That's why I posted, in case someone is chasing the skin as being a solution to "Poor Picture Quality ViX 4.2" which is what this thread is about, no? The problem lies deeper within the video handling or with some interaction between the image code and the driver. I thought I had noticed a similar quality issue on some SD channels on my Quad Plus but I can't reproduce it.

kryton
19-10-16, 13:48
To be honest, I don't think cron is suitable, there's a file called /etc/rc.local which is run at system boot.
You'd be best waiting for someone to confirm that that's the way to proceed, or that I'm talking rubbish.

The script does run from boot mate. But once the receiver is put into standby (not deep standby) then woke up the lines are back and the script or video enhancer plugin have to be run again. Which gets a bit tedious.

kryton
19-10-16, 13:53
in case someone is chasing the skin as being a solution to "Poor Picture Quality ViX 4.2" which is what this thread is about, no?.

No mate the thread was about the same PQ on the et10k.
Its just gone off topic a bit in places.

ccs
19-10-16, 14:44
Someone may have been trying something similar on OpenPLi (a long time ago)...

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/27121-execute-custom-script-on-wakeupstandby/

Good luck!!! :)

kryton
19-10-16, 15:07
Someone may have been trying something similar on OpenPLi (a long time ago)...

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/27121-execute-custom-script-on-wakeupstandby/

Good luck!!! :)
Thanks mate, this is the 1 i found after an extensive google search.

Got the standby.py source from github

Edited it the way that tutorial shows you, put the standby.py into the lib/python/screens folder and rebooted the box.

After a reboot the vix menu was missing and when trying to access plugins i got a warning saying "some plugins are not available, cannot import devbuild"

I replaced the standby.pyo with a back up but it was still the same so had to reflash the box.

But this is pretty much the thing i want, if i could get it to work.

Sicilian
21-10-16, 06:39
@ Kryton, can you try build 4.1.001 from here http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/xtrend-images/xtrend-et-10x00-images/et-10x00-openvix-4-1-archives/

The above had kernel 3.17.3.

Please report back, also to confirm what brand of TV do you have?

kryton
21-10-16, 08:43
@ Kryton, can you try build 4.1.001 from here http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/xtrend-images/xtrend-et-10x00-images/et-10x00-openvix-4-1-archives/

The above had kernel 3.17.3.

Please report back, also to confirm what brand of TV do you have?

Thats what im using now mate, 4.1.001.
I have no issues with that build at all.

Main tv is a Samsung mate, but also tried it on 2 tv's in the bedrooms, both are LG.

Build 003 had no lan connection problem so never really tried that. All builds above 003 showed PQ issues.

ccs
27-10-16, 10:49
I don't suppose this has any significance, as it is a fix for ET10K transcoding problems on the OpenPLi forum....

https://github.com/eriksl/streamproxy/commit/118754884537ab675a21459c04829ae24d87a023

but the machine type isn't being picked up correctly, so who knows.

kryton
28-10-16, 00:18
So does the et10k have transcoding?
I know the 8000 doesnt.

It could be a simple bug like that. Like you say who knows.
All indications point towards the kernal change after 4.1 001.

rimas
09-11-16, 14:19
Hopefully there will be a kernel update for ET10000 soon.
I compiled ViX 5.0 image that uses the 4.8.3 kernel and new drivers. Delay problem on zapping radio channels is fixed.

joysleep1
09-11-16, 17:24
So does the et10k have transcoding?
I know the 8000 doesnt.

It could be a simple bug like that. Like you say who knows.
All indications point towards the kernal change after 4.1 001.

Yes the et10k does have transcoding.
Although it stops working when i update to 4.2. I went back to 4.1 (016) and it works. This was being tested using the transcoding for xtrend app
Any idea why i try to transcode when on 4.2 i just get the spinning VLC logo when trying to transcode a channel?

Rob van der Does
09-11-16, 17:35
IIRC the transcoding issue should be fixed on next build.

joysleep1
09-11-16, 17:38
IIRC the transcoding issue should be fixed on next build.

oh kool. When you mean next build, do you mean whole new number like eg 4.3? or just next sub number from 4.2?

Rob van der Does
09-11-16, 18:04
I mean build 4.2.013, due soon.
But I'd like to hear if it's fixed indeed.

joysleep1
10-11-16, 10:40

oh ok
Is there anyway i can know it this has been fixed before i update?
Thanks

Andy_Hazza
10-11-16, 10:51
oh ok
Is there anyway i can know it this has been fixed before i update?
Thanks

Just be brave and update via menu > setup > software update when it's available. :D

joysleep1
10-11-16, 10:56
Just be brave and update via menu > setup > software update when it's available. :D

I cant. I'll have to do a fresh flash as i am currently on 4.1 (016).
But yh i might if i have time.

joysleep1
12-11-16, 13:54

I can see build 13 is out. Does this mean the transcoding on the xtrend 10000 has now been fixed?
THanks

joysleep1
16-11-16, 14:41
I can confirm transcoding works on the latest build for the xtrend 10000.
Well done xtrend. And OPENVIX of course.