PDA

View Full Version : 4k tv and 4k capable receiver

fintannl
12-10-16, 20:23
can anyone say if its worth the plunge. I just wonder if standard definition channels are viewed in better definition with such a combination. thanks.

twol
12-10-16, 21:13
How long is a piece of string? How much money do you have to spend?:):)
If you have cash to burn or just like playing with new technology then maybe.
So my view is as follows..
1. If you have never read your TV,s manual and never read the forums and then tweaked... don,t bother changing your TV:)
2. I am used to panny plasma's but was still impressed with the picture on my recently installed "office" 4K monitor.
But to get a real good 4K TV then the only guy in town is a LG Oled or brands - now 5 and increasing that use their Oled screens. But big money.
3. Just installed a Mutant hd51 and it looks interesting, certainly on 1st viewings the 4K picture on my monitor is good, but need to checkout further.:)

4. 4K Inputs - still limited, so not a big plus.

So in my view still very early days:) and don,t think for normal HD channels my Plasma,s have been really overtaken by the Oled,s when You look at the price performance.

Andy_Hazza
12-10-16, 21:26
LG OLED 4K is a different kettle of fish. Well worth the plunge n investment. Superb picture and the SD looks ace on it too. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willmoore
12-10-16, 21:47
I keep toying with buying the Solo 4K but having to use OSCam puts me off - the more i read about it the less I know :confused:

romdut
12-10-16, 22:47
I keep toying with buying the Solo 4K but having to use OSCam puts me off - the more i read about it the less I know :confused:

cccam to oscam converter is easy done then ftp files to ect / tuxbox / config
Wish i had the money for a 4k tv got 4k box but no differnet in picture quality so just saving for when the time comes

Willmoore
12-10-16, 23:16
cccam to oscam converter is easy done then ftp files to ect / tuxbox / config
Wish i had the money for a 4k tv got 4k box but no differnet in picture quality so just saving for when the time comes
I see this a lot but have no idea what it means. I use Mgcamd 1.38 from the plugins. Do you download cccam from the plugins and then do 'something' with it. (I feel a number of stupid questions coming on)

fintannl
13-10-16, 00:03
LG OLED 4K is a different kettle of fish. Well worth the plunge n investment. Superb picture and the SD looks ace on it too. [emoji1360]

So question then is if the TV is the only necessary change to improve SD quality?

abu baniaz
13-10-16, 00:11
Any objections if I move the thread to general discussion section instead of news section?

Rob van der Does
13-10-16, 06:10
can anyone say if its worth the plunge. I just wonder if standard definition channels are viewed in better definition with such a combination. thanks.
I would wait.
1- Only buy a new TV if your TV is faulty or too small or so.
2- Some interesting STB's will be released the next months/year. I would await them and read the reviews. Certainly don't buy a Solo-4k: this was the first 4k-STB and has been released too soon.

Trial
13-10-16, 07:48
Hi,
I agree with Rob. The Solo 4K is nice but at the moment the new features like FCC are not jet running 100% and compared for instance to the Duo2 the transcoder is worse and sometimes I miss WOL. The best VU for me at the moment ist the full HD Duo2. I am waiting for the Ultimo 4K.

Solo4K only because she is rather cheap at the moment AND you need to record a lot because of the FCB tuner.

ciao

Andy_Hazza
13-10-16, 08:47
FBC tuners are great and I recommend the JESS Inverto LNB. Endless opportunities for recordings. I couldn't imagine going back to the traditional LNB setup now. [emoji4]

Rob van der Does
13-10-16, 11:07
FBC tuners are great and I recommend the JESS Inverto LNB. Endless opportunities for recordings.
Absolutely, for a single satellite. But how do you combine satellites? That's awfully expensive.

Rob van der Does
13-10-16, 14:47
Surely one FBC tuner/LNB at one and the other pointed somewhere else, or have I massively over simplified the situation?
Unicable II/jess multiswitches (to combine several satellite positions) cost hundreds of pounds, even over thousand.

dlmlus
19-12-16, 15:02
Do our sponors sell these JESS Inverto LNB ?

Rob van der Does
19-12-16, 18:09
No, but he really should:)

john doe
19-12-16, 18:10

no they don't. inquired a few week back. fleabay has a couple

Trial
19-12-16, 18:56
Hi,
perhaps a value package together with a VU-4K:-)

ciao

DaMacFunkin
19-12-16, 20:08
I always thought Stef was a woman...

johnnym
07-04-18, 18:28
Andy will using the JESS Inverto LNB improve the picture quality on my solo2 4k, I run everything thought a top end Pioneer receiver that upscales to 4k to my 65 inch curved LG tv and love it so don't believe I could improve on the quality but always willing to listen to other poeples trials.
regards

John

Trial
08-04-18, 09:13
Hi,
you cannot improve picture quality by changing LNB. What you can achieve is to enhance reception quality by changing LNB.

ciao

abu baniaz
08-04-18, 13:54
They sell a different brand. You don't need a 4K receiver or FBC tuner to use them

Sicilian
08-04-18, 16:17
They sell a different brand. You don't need a 4K receiver or FBC tuner to use them

Listed here: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/universal-and-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb