PDA

View Full Version : Overscan Issues On Samsung Smart TV?

champs4life
03-10-16, 15:50
Hi I really need help please.

So I found out my TV had overscan on by default for so long which had cut menus, some of the picture etc.

So I decided to turn it off by enabling "screen fit"

However no matter if I turn TV off, or the receiver or if the receiver is on overscan automatically turns back on.

Why is this happening? Is my TV or box faulty which is causing this?

I am going crazy with this as it shouldnt be changing to 16:9 if I turned overscan off.

I really hope someone can help me. Not sure if Samsung can help.

DaMacFunkin
03-10-16, 15:58
What shouldn't be switching to 16:9?
Screen fit disables overscan, all this does is stop the tv stretching the screen a few lines in each direction, the purpose of which is to 'tidy' or hide noise around the edge of the picture such as time base code.
It in no way affects aspect ratio switching.

champs4life
03-10-16, 16:47
Well I got told to turn off overscan I had to go in to aspect ration and enable screen fit and I have but it automatically goes back to 16:9 meaning overscan is back on.

But since reflash and applying skin the picture seems to be wobbling and there seems to be black borders all round especially when screen fit is enabled. This ruins the viewing experience.

What is going on? Is the TV/Box faulty or something? It also seem picture quality is worse than before whether that is because of screen fit I dont know.

Im lost on what to do.

tomuser
03-10-16, 17:01
What exact models of equipment you have? Maybe you can provide some pictures/screenshots of your settings and problem?

kryton
03-10-16, 17:37
Might be a long shot but my sammy tv was doing the same thing, changing between screen modes on its own, turns out for some reason "store demo" was enabled in "user mode".
Changed it to "Home use" and alls good.

As for picture quality im having poor sd quality in later versions of vix...its undecided if its a driver or image problem...depending what box you have

champs4life
03-10-16, 17:37
Not sure of model its a Samsung Smart TV.

I am unable to take picture at the moment.

What it is when I change the settings by going in to aspect ratio. Its on 16:9 by default but then to turn overscan off I changed to "screen fit" which is in the aspect ratio setting.

But I noticed the channels not have the picture full fitted on the screen it just has black borders around the edges and seems to me like picture isnt fully on the screen. Plus seems the picture has got wobbly as well since changing to screen fit. Are these issues normal?

Also I have noticed it randomly changes to 16:9 after I had changed to screen fit. Not sure why it keeps doing this.

These issues happened after reflash and applying a skin. Not sure if its the receiver or TV or what else.

I am completely lost.

champs4life
03-10-16, 17:40
Might be a long shot but my sammy tv was doing the same thing, turns out for some reason "store demo" was enabled in "user mode".
Changed it to "Home use" and alls good.

As for picture quality im having poor sd quality in later versions of vix...its undecided if its a driver or image problem...depending what box you have

Have to say regret updating the image and seems I have loads of issues since being on latest image.

Plus picture quality seems poor even HD compared to the last image I was on.

kryton
03-10-16, 17:45
Have to say regret updating the image and seems I have loads of issues since being on latest image.

Plus picture quality seems poor even HD compared to the last image I was on.

Do what i did and flash it back to a more stable image for your box.

champs4life
03-10-16, 17:49
Do what i did and flash it back to a more stable image for your box.

Thats the thing not sure what stable version of the image is.

Was told to flash to latest image as its solves issues etc but man its ruined everything for me.

ccs
03-10-16, 17:54
It would take 5 minutes to get back to where you were if you made a backup image before upgrading.

kryton
03-10-16, 17:56
Ive managed to get 4.1 working ok with the skin i like with a few tweaks in AV settings.

If you go lower than 4.1 you lose access to the plugin feeds.

twol
03-10-16, 18:02
Not sure of model its a Samsung Smart TV
Menu. -> support -> contact Samsung ..... then read the text for the model number

champs4life
03-10-16, 19:15
Thanks twol. Will try to find it and let you know.

I have to say I dont know what to do as I am not sure if I really have turned overscan off and if I have why does everything look weird and why does it go back to default 16:9 setting.

Dont know if by reflashing and applying a skin something changed.

twol
03-10-16, 19:31
Having read the issues and complaints about Samsung picture handling not surprised you are having issues.
General comments seem to suggest setting the receiver output to 1080i (not 1080p .... another Samsung issue) and using auto wide NOT screen fit.

Could be worth trying to fix your current issues:) or if it is possible returning the TV for another make :)- sorry just showing my love for all things Samsung :)

champs4life
03-10-16, 20:09
Thanks twol you really have me concerned now lol.

I have the A/V settings as 1080i multi scale letterbox. Not sure if that is issue.

So will auto wide turn over scan off and will it make picture quality worse.

Even after setting screen fit the picture quality seemed poor which I didnt expect it to be. Having it on 16:9 didnt improve as that cut of menu, picture etc.

Cant return TV as out of warranty and cant afford a new TV.

So all in all I am screwed. My TV is messed up and I have to force to stay on 16:9 meaning back to dreaded overscan.

twol
03-10-16, 20:28
Auto wide is "supposed to" show picture as delivered from the input source so 16:9 as 16:9 and 4:3 as 4:3 .
So it shouldn,t do anything to it:)
I am sure with a bit of tweaking everything will be fine just ignore my "love of Samsung" rants:)

kryton
03-10-16, 20:44
Auto wide is "supposed to" show picture as delivered from the input source so 16:9 as 16:9 and 4:3 as 4:3 .
I am sure with a bit of tweaking everything will be fine just ignore my "love of Samsung" rants:)

I hear what your saying mate, i hate my galaxy s7 im stuck with lol, but i just dont see how its possable to be the tv at fault when earlier versions of vix run perfectly, in my case anyway as you know.

Not sure about the over scan issues the OP is having unless store demo mode is enabled like mine was....but he has noticed a big loss in picture quality too after upgrading.

What box do you own @champs4life?

Tweaking indeed helps in earlier versions but no matter what i try in 4.2 i just cant get a decent picture.

For example in 4.1 using the openvix red-HD skin i have to set video output to 720p otherwise i get heavy jagged lines, ok so that could be a skin fault...but in 3.2 i can leave video output at 1080p and the skin works fine.

champs4life
03-10-16, 21:47

Isnt auto wide still technically overscan on?

I have tried that setting but menu seems cut off which parts the picture would be cut off.

This has taken so much energy out of me I have no idea what to do.

I cant turn overscan off and if I turn it just comes back on. Then when turning it off it just looks all weird.

Why is this so complicated and so problematic.

champs4life
03-10-16, 21:50
I hear what your saying mate, i hate my galaxy s7 im stuck with lol, but i just dont see how its possable to be the tv at fault when earlier versions of vix run perfectly, in my case anyway as you know.

Not sure about the over scan issues the OP is having unless store demo mode is enabled like mine was....but he has noticed a big loss in picture quality too after upgrading.

What box do you own @champs4life?

Tweaking indeed helps in earlier versions but no matter what i try in 4.2 i just cant get a decent picture.

For example in 4.1 using the openvix red-HD skin i have to set video output to 720p otherwise i get heavy jagged lines, ok so that could be a skin fault...but in 3.2 i can leave video output at 1080p and the skin works fine.

I have a TM Nano 3T

The quality of SD and especially HD isnt as sharp and crisp compared to before updating the latest image.

Could the skin I have be an issue?

Whether its the image or even TV/receiver at fault I have no idea.

I hate anything technical/advanced as I stress myself out which in turn never solves the issue.

So I think I am just going to give up and accept 16:9 with overscan on and loss of picture quality. Dont know how much is cropped with overscan but whatever now.

kryton
03-10-16, 22:48
Could the skin I have be an issue?.

Ive only noticed the problem in 4.1 with the red-HD skin, all other skins work fine, but in 4.2 no matter what you do the picture problems remain the same.
If you have changed your skin from the default skin its no harm switching back to see if it helps.

As for your overscan issues did you check your tv users settings for user mode? Its under support in my tv menus.

champs4life
03-10-16, 22:52
Ive only noticed the problem in 4.1 with the red-HD skin, all other skins work fine, but in 4.2 no matter what you do the picture problems remain the same.

As for your overscan issues did you check your tv users settings for user mode? Its under support in my tv menus.

Ye I have looked in settings and cant see user mode anywhere.

kryton
03-10-16, 22:58
Ye I have looked in settings and cant see user mode anywhere.

Its here on my tv, not sure if all sammy tvs have the same setting.
But it was giving me the same symptons.
I use screenfit for my pc, when playing games it was switching back to 16:9 on its own which became annoying because half the screen went missing .

champs4life
03-10-16, 23:02
@twol the model no of the TV is ue40c6500

I had made a mistake I changed the setting to wide zoom, it doesnt allow me to change to auto wide.

Something has occurred to me. On the old image I had the old settings (16:9) and unlike now I never had menus or anything cutting off. So I am completely lost as what has happened. Part of me thinks its the image that is the problem. One thing is for sure I have not had anywhere near the problems I have with the with the picture, settings etc on the old image.

kryton
03-10-16, 23:04

I had made a mistake I changed the setting to wide zoom, it doesnt allow me to change to auto wide.

Something has occurred to me. On the old image I had the old settings (16:9) and unlike now I never had menus or anything cutting off. So I am completely lost as what has happened. Part of me thinks its the image that is the problem. One thing is for sure I have not had anywhere near the problems I have with the with the picture, settings etc on the old image.

Try flashing back to 3.2 (which is very stable for me, but you lose plugins) or 4.1 that seems stable apart from the red HD skin problem...which ive fixed by changing output mode to 720p.

Least you can rule out image problems if it works ok after downgrading.

ccs
03-10-16, 23:06

Something has occurred to me. On the old image I had the old settings (16:9) and unlike now I never had menus or anything cutting off. So I am completely lost as what has happened. Part of me thinks its the image that is the problem. One thing is for sure I have not had anywhere near the problems I have with the with the picture, settings etc on the old image.In your first post you said menus had been cut off.

So I found out my TV had overscan on by default for so long which had cut menus, some of the picture etc.

chaser
03-10-16, 23:28

So I decided to turn it off by enabling "screen fit"

However no matter if I turn TV off, or the receiver or if the receiver is on overscan automatically turns back on.

Why is this happening? Is my TV or box faulty which is causing this?

I am going crazy with this as it shouldnt be changing to 16:9 if I turned overscan off.

I really hope someone can help me. Not sure if Samsung can help.

If it's any consolation I've had exactly the same issue with an old (non smart) Samsung Tv and VU+ Solo2. Every time I switch off the TV and Sat box, the TV reverts back to an overscan mode (16x9 - I think). It's quite frustrating. I'm not at the TV right now so I don't know the model number. Also, I've noticed this issue for well over a year on older Vix revisions, but I don't think its anything to do with that.

imish
03-10-16, 23:36
If it's any consolation I've had exactly the same issue with an old (non smart) Samsung Tv and VU+ Solo2. Every time I switch off the TV and Sat box, the TV reverts back to an overscan mode (16x9 - I think). It's quite frustrating. I'm not at the TV right now so I don't know the model number. Also, I've noticed this issue for well over a year on older Vix revisions, but I don't think its anything to do with that.

have a 7 year old samsung plasma and it does exactly the same.....very frustrating indeed.

DaMacFunkin
04-10-16, 07:42
I have a Samsung Tv, it is the only Samsung i have ever owned and i don't have any problems with it...
It is obvious to me that the guy has set his enigma 2 box up whilst the tv is in overscan
He has then turned over scan off 'on that input' by enabling screen fit which is correct
He then has black bars around his screen, which on some channels may also be correct
now he needs to either re-adjust his screen size settings on his enigma 2 box and or do this which is clearly stated in the manual for his TV

x Settings can be adjusted and stored for each
external device connected to an input on the TV.

x After selecting Screen Fit in HDMI (1080i / 1080p)
or Component (1080i / 1080p) mode: Adjusts the
Position or Size by using ▲, ▼, ◄, ► button.

x If you use the Screen Fit function with HDMI 720p
input, 1 line will be cut at the top, bottom, left and
right as in the overscan function.

Andy_Hazza
04-10-16, 08:06
If you have changed your skin from the default skin its no harm switching back to see if it helps.

Red-HD is a 720p Skin not full HD one like the Confluence, Bello, YouViX-Blue (Red, Green & Purple ones available), iSkin Dark & iSkin Light etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kryton
04-10-16, 08:14
Red-HD is a 720p Skin not full HD one like the Confluence, Bello, YouViX-Blue (Red, Green & Purple ones available), iSkin Dark & iSkin Light etc.

Yes mate i realised this after reading another post about it, but its been working fine on 1080p on previous versions thats what mislead me a bit.

Its all up and running now on 4.1, would love to try iskin mate but its not in the 4.1 feeds.

Trial
04-10-16, 11:20
Hi,
I have 4 Samsung (A-, B- and F-Type) and with my VUs they never had a problem to switch off Overscan. I German it is called Bildanpassung and it survived standby and even power real off.

ciao

champs4life
04-10-16, 12:40
I have a Samsung Tv, it is the only Samsung i have ever owned and i don't have any problems with it...
It is obvious to me that the guy has set his enigma 2 box up whilst the tv is in overscan
He has then turned over scan off 'on that input' by enabling screen fit which is correct
He then has black bars around his screen, which on some channels may also be correct
now he needs to either re-adjust his screen size settings on his enigma 2 box and or do this which is clearly stated in the manual for his TV

x Settings can be adjusted and stored for each
external device connected to an input on the TV.

x After selecting Screen Fit in HDMI (1080i / 1080p)
or Component (1080i / 1080p) mode: Adjusts the
Position or Size by using ▲, ▼, ◄, ► button.

x If you use the Screen Fit function with HDMI 720p
input, 1 line will be cut at the top, bottom, left and
right as in the overscan function.

So I was supposed to have the TV set to screenfit and then setup my enigma 2 box?

Will that have stopped the issues I am having?

So I have to reflash again?

But what I am saying is when I had screen fit enabled it had big black borders showing which in turn made the picture look small surely this isnt right. To add to that alot of channels give a wobbly type picture it doesnt look smooth compared to before.

champs4life
04-10-16, 12:48
My worry is if I downgrade to an old image similiar to one I had before could cause security issues.

I thought it might be the image but I am beginning to believe my box and TV are faulty giving me all these issues described which NEVER were there on the last image.

ccs
04-10-16, 13:28
What security issues are you worried about?

You say all these issues never gave you problems in an earlier image, but in you first post you say "..TV had overscan on by default for so long which had cut menus, some of the picture etc."

champs4life
04-10-16, 13:39
I dont know I just thought being on an old image would be detrimental.

My mistake I should have been more clear.

I didnt change any settings on the TV or box before on the old image. I assume overscan was on as it was on 16:9. I never had any menus cutting off or even picture bel cut off like is the case since reflashing to the latest image.

That what makes me question what is going on now.

chaser
04-10-16, 21:01

Not sure how you picked that up from the OP. It's not the way I read it, and certainly not the experience I've had with my Samsung. In my experience, the TV 'just scan' selection on the HDMI port is not maintained on power cycle. I think it might be to do with the HDMI input being switched between different resolutions as the VU+ box boots up. I've got the box set for 1080i / 50hz, but I seem to recall that during boot up, the box initially outputs 720p. I think this switching on start up might confuse the TV and results it it defaulting back to an overscan mode. I don't have access to the TV / VU box right now to test. It's quite an old LCD TV, which only has a single HDMI port, and if I recall, maximum resolution of 1080i!

adm
04-10-16, 21:38
Not sure how you picked that up from the OP. It's not the way I read it, and certainly not the experience I've had with my Samsung. In my experience, the TV 'just scan' selection on the HDMI port is not maintained on power cycle.

I switch my 6 year old Samsung 42" TV off at the mains each night. I have a lot of equipment on a remote controlled switch including the TV (but not my Enigam2 box).
The just scan settings on the HDMI port used by the Enigma 2 has been maintained for at least 700 hard power off/power on sequences.

Edit
On my Samsung TV each input has its own independent settings so one HDMI can be configured differently to another HDMI input.

chaser
04-10-16, 21:59
I switch my 6 year old Samsung 42" TV off at the mains each night. I have a lot of equipment on a remote controlled switch including the TV (but not my Enigam2 box).
The just scan settings on the HDMI port used by the Enigma 2 has been maintained for at least 700 hard power off/power on sequences.Okay, I probably wasn't particularly clear, but I think it might be more to do with the restarting of the VU+ box (and the subsequent resolution changes that occur on reboot), and less to do with power cycling the TV. I'll test out this theory when I get access to the kit.

adm
04-10-16, 22:38
Okay, I probably wasn't particularly clear, but I think it might be more to do with the restarting of the VU+ box (and the subsequent resolution changes that occur on reboot), and less to do with power cycling the TV. I'll test out this theory when I get access to the kit.

For info, a screenshot of my AV settings. I only watch broadcast TV on my box so a permanent setting of 1080i@50Hz suits.
By having automatic resolution turned off I wonder if my box ONLY ever outputs 1080i irrespective of different source picture resolutions that may be used during boot-up. I also use my own boot-up images that were adjusted to 1920x1080 pixels before being converted to 1920x1080 .mvi files (bootlogo.mvi, bootlogo_wait.mvi etc.)

My power up sequence is probably 50:50 in what gets switched on first. Sometimes I switch the power to the TV on first and then bring my box out of deep standby and sometimes the box is busy recording in the background or gets switched out of standby before switching the the power to the TV.

champs4life
04-10-16, 23:20
Would you guys think call Samsung directly solve the problem?

I dont want to reflash again.

I also found where I enable screen fit. The "screen mode" is highlighted to 16:9 and cant be changed. Now whether this is causing it going back to default overscan setting im not sure.

I hate my TV and box now. I hate watching TV. Average picture quality and cropping of menus/picture. Its unbearable.

You guys who have it all working perfectly are lucky and I envy you.

Trial
05-10-16, 11:21
Hi,
perhaps try another input on your Samsung. My box is connected to HDMI2 and I can switch overscan off and it stays this way.

ciao

champs4life
05-10-16, 12:24
Hi,
perhaps try another input on your Samsung. My box is connected to HDMI2 and I can switch overscan off and it stays this way.

ciao

Thanks trial for the suggestion.

Unfortunately even after switching HDMI inputs on the TV still same issue with it defaulting back to 16:9. The picture on most channels seems to be moving as well compared to before where it never did.

I dont want to reflash to an old image as the feeds will be lost.

I am out of options it seems then. As nothing I do is working.

kryton
05-10-16, 13:08
Try 4.1
Thats working fine for me and plugins are still available.

champs4life
05-10-16, 14:21
Try 4.1
Thats working fine for me and plugins are still available.

But will downgrading images solve the overscan issue, picture issues I am having?

ronand
05-10-16, 15:27
Back up your current setup in the image manager before you test. You can then quickly reflash if the older image does not work for you. There is only one way to find out and that is to do it yourself.

ccs
05-10-16, 16:35
There is a tv firmware update available T-VALDEUC-3018.1, dated 13th august 2013, but probably not worth the risk.

Have you another tv you could try/borrow?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40C6500UWXXC

kryton
05-10-16, 17:26
But will downgrading images solve the overscan issue, picture issues I am having?

I cant say if it will fix the overscan problem but it has fixed a lot of picture quality issues ive found in 4.2...

Do a back up like advised and then try the first release of 4.1....youve got nothing to lose.

champs4life
05-10-16, 17:32
There is a tv firmware update available T-VALDEUC-3018.1, dated 13th august 2013, but probably not worth the risk.

Have you another tv you could try/borrow?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40C6500UWXXC

Afraid not. This is my main TV

champs4life
05-10-16, 17:36
I cant say if it will fix the overscan problem but it has fixed a lot of picture quality issues ive found in 4.2...

Do a back up like advised and then try the first release of 4.1....youve got nothing to lose.

I am not at all technical when it comes to anything tech/gadget related. I always screw up big time if I try like has happened here.

Its not just picture quality issues.

Its the cropping of the picture and menus and with overscan not staying off permanently which is worrying me.

Not sure going down to 4.1 or 3.1 image will solve this issue.

As still dont know if my box or TV is the problem.

ronand
05-10-16, 18:03
It must be the TV that is the problem - the receiver cannot turn overscan on/off on your tv

champs4life
05-10-16, 18:27
It must be the TV that is the problem - the receiver cannot turn overscan on/off on your tv

So ruled out box and even image as the problem then.

If it really is the TV then I dont get it. on the apollo image I was on before there was no sign of loss of picture quality, cropping of menus and picture.

I just have not got the funds to waste on a new TV.

kryton
05-10-16, 19:30
So ruled out box and even image as the problem then.

If it really is the TV then I dont get it. on the apollo image I was on before there was no sign of loss of picture quality, cropping of menus and picture.

I just have not got the funds to waste on a new TV.

Im affraid to say your only option is to bite the bullet and start eliminating possible causes.

The first 1 i would rule out is the image, if you wasnt having this problem with a previous version..its the quickest and easiest of them all.

If that dont solve it then try your box on a tv at a family members or friends house... if you havnt got access to a 2nd tv of your own.
And maybe borrow a set top box off somebody to try on your tv to see if it still does the same thing.

Untill you start trying to eliminate possible causes you will never know.

champs4life
05-10-16, 23:24
Even after downgrading to image 4.1 still have poor picture quality, menus and pictures being cut off because overscan doesn't stay off. This is still the case despite setting to screen fit before I reflashed the box.

So that's it there is no fix. I am doomed with crap picture and not everything showing.

I don't know how the geniuses and smart people have it all going right. I can't take this anymore. Been too stressed and health wise I'm not supposed to be stressed.

kryton
05-10-16, 23:58
Found this, not sure if it will help but anything is worth a try.

I connect my satellite STB to the HDMI input of my Samsung TV. Due to overscan, The TV annoyingly puts part of the image outside the visible screen, even though the resolution is correctly set to 1080p. Here is a solution:

Press Source on your remote
Move down to your HDMI source and press Tools
Select Edit name and Scroll down to satelliteSTB and select that one
Your screen goes blank for a second – and mission accomplished: the overscan is disabled.
If selecting satelliteSTB does not work try selecting PC.

And mate....dont let this effect your health.....

champs4life
06-10-16, 13:56
Found this, not sure if it will help but anything is worth a try.

And mate....dont let this effect your health.....

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately tried something similar to that and overscan just keeps turning on itself as usual.

I wish I could get something right. I dont want my health to get worse just because of something so trivial like this but I cant help it.

Valiant
06-10-16, 14:28
Seems that this solution from 2011 is still useful
http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/8905-How-to-Disable-overscan-on-a-Samsung-quot-SMART-quot-tv-solved

Have you tried renaming the HDMI port on the TV? Read all replies in the post as the method for newer Samsung models changed.

kryton
06-10-16, 15:05
. Unfortunately tried something similar

In what way do you mean by similar? Have you tried renaming the HDMI on your tv?
Renaming the HDMI on my tv disables overscan if i rename it to PC.
All the others do nothing.

champs4life
06-10-16, 21:44
In what way do you mean by similar? Have you tried renaming the HDMI on your tv?
Renaming the HDMI on my tv disables overscan if i rename it to PC.
All the others do nothing.

Ye I edited the name of the HDMI to satelliteSTB and still overscan wasnt off as still had cut off menus and picture.

Its very odd this method works for some and not others.

I still dont understand why selecting "screen fit" just doesnt disable overscan

champs4life
06-10-16, 21:47
My HDMI input is showing 24HZ shouldnt this be 50HZ or 60HZ as I am sure that is what it was previously.

I have also noticed since reflashing the picture is moving, its jittery. Not smooth at all compared to before flashing. Its so hard to watch.

Not sure if anyone knows what I mean.

But again could box/TV/image all be the cause?

The box seems so laggy and slow. Never had this before.

I have tried EVERYTHING suggested here and I am still no where and I am so sick and tired. I havent got the energy to continue with this.

I do appreciate the helpful replies. Thank you.

kryton
06-10-16, 21:52
Ye I edited the name of the HDMI to satelliteSTB

Did you try changing it to PC aswell? Editing the name to satelliteSTB does nothing on my tv either....but if i choose PC from the drop down list overscan gets disabled.

ccs
06-10-16, 21:53
...try 50Hz, that's what I use.

champs4life
06-10-16, 22:00
Did you try changing it to PC aswell? Editing the name to satelliteSTB does nothing on my tv either....but if i choose PC from the drop down list overscan gets disabled.

No I didnt try that but will and let you know.

I did notice when you click edit names there is LOADS of different options to choose from.

champs4life
06-10-16, 22:01
...try 50Hz, that's what I use.

I dont know how to do that sorry.

I jut assumed the TV would automatically adjust to 50HZ or 60HZ.

ccs
06-10-16, 22:06
I dont know how to do that sorry.

I jut assumed the TV would automatically adjust to 50HZ or 60HZ.
When using VIX, go to menu->setup->system->Av settings

What is "refresh rate" set to?

kryton
06-10-16, 22:07
No I didnt try that but will and let you know.

I did notice when you click edit names there is LOADS of different options to choose from.

They are name labels for other devices you can connect.
Selecting PC from the list does the trick for me

adm
06-10-16, 22:08
My HDMI input is showing 24HZ shouldnt this be 50HZ or 60HZ as I am sure that is what it was previously.

UK TV is broadcast at 50Hz so if your box is set to anything else the box may/will be performing some format conversions which often leads to unwanted artifacts. A 50 to 60Hz conversion may result in dropped frames which may make scenes with motion look 'jerky/jittery'. Outputting at 24Hz from a 50Hz source may have more unwanted artifacts such as having to duplicate frames every so often, which a can also result in a stuttering picture .

Wat are the AV setting on you box? Menu -> set-up -> system -> a/v settings?

champs4life
06-10-16, 23:24
When using VIX, go to menu->setup->system->Av settings

What is "refresh rate" set to?

Oh ok, its set to multi.

So that is why I am confused as why on the HDMI input its showing as 24HZ

champs4life
06-10-16, 23:27
UK TV is broadcast at 50Hz so if your box is set to anything else the box may/will be performing some format conversions which often leads to unwanted artifacts. A 50 to 60Hz conversion may result in dropped frames which may make scenes with motion look 'jerky/jittery'. Outputting at 24Hz from a 50Hz source may have more unwanted artifacts such as having to duplicate frames every so often, which a can also result in a stuttering picture .

Wat are the AV setting on you box? Menu -> set-up -> system -> a/v settings?

So could being set to 24HZ be causing the jittery picture I am having on all channels. As it seems sluggish and slow. Doesnt look smooth.

Again on the old image this wasnt a problem everything looked crisp, sharp and smooth.

I have it set as 1080i multi. These were settings I was told to apply.

adm
06-10-16, 23:40
I have it set as 1080i multi. These were settings I was told to apply.

Multi should work but setting 1080i 50Hz suits UK television broadcasts.
Change multi to 50Hz and press green on the remote to save.
I've found occasionally that the software gets lost after changing the AV settings so turn off your box at the mains for a minutes and then switch back on.
Now check that the TV is receiving 50Hz.

cactikid
07-10-16, 00:06
why are you having your picture just scale? as mine are letterbox for 16.9 and pillarbox for 4.3 looking at my et10000 on panny tv.

Andy_Hazza
07-10-16, 05:16
why are you having your picture just scale? as mine are letterbox for 16.9 and pillarbox for 4.3 looking at my et10000 on panny tv.

If you set 4:3 to Just Scale, the old Classics like Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers etc will be full screen n not 4:3 with big black borders either side.

adm
07-10-16, 07:55
If you set 4:3 to Just Scale, the old Classics like Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers etc will be full screen n not 4:3 with big black borders either side.

Sometimes :) The broadcaster has the habit of converting these to 16:9 with black bars down the side BEFORE broadcasting so that when decoded they display as 16:9 with black bars rather than 4:3 stretchy vision.

Valiant
07-10-16, 08:07

So select PC and see if it solves your problem.

champs4life
08-10-16, 12:59
Multi should work but setting 1080i 50Hz suits UK television broadcasts.
Change multi to 50Hz and press green on the remote to save.
I've found occasionally that the software gets lost after changing the AV settings so turn off your box at the mains for a minutes and then switch back on.
Now check that the TV is receiving 50Hz.

Ye I changed it to 50HZ.

I just rebooted the box didnt switch from mains and HDMI input was showing at 50HZ.

Hope it stays at that now.

Doesnt seem the picture is jittery or slow/sluggish.

champs4life
08-10-16, 13:00

I have the two settings set on Just Scale?

Isnt that what its meant to be?

I am confused not sure of difference.

champs4life
08-10-16, 13:05
I tried all the option when clicking on edit name. Tried PC and tried DVI PC and still overscan couldnt be disabled.

So is my box and TV screwed then? Do I need new ones?

For the life of my I have no idea why on earth overscan just CANT stay off. Why is this happening. Why is this impossible.

Makes me thinking flashing to 3.2 will be pointless as what will it solve? It certainly was turn off overscan.

I have exhausted all methods suggested as I am really really tired now. I have no more energy left.

ronand
08-10-16, 13:21
The issue is not with your box. Ring Samsung and ask them how to turn overscan off.

champs4life
08-10-16, 13:42
The issue is not with your box. Ring Samsung and ask them how to turn overscan off.

I did and they told me the same way I did originally to select "screen fit" in aspect ratio settings and I have explained already the issues after selecting that option.

twol
08-10-16, 14:06
So take a deep breath :)

There is a recently updated tip from Samsung (4/10/2016) that shows how to reset your TV back to initial settings - I would follow this, and then you will know that everything is as it was when delivered and any changes you have made can be reset.
I would then use some of the advice on this forum to overcome the overscan issue :)

See http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1039433

At least, with this knowledge you know you can always go back to the same point

champs4life
08-10-16, 14:22
So take a deep breath :)

There is a recently updated tip from Samsung (4/10/2016) that shows how to reset your TV back to initial settings - I would follow this, and then you will know that everything is as it was when delivered and any changes you have made can be reset.
I would then use some of the advice on this forum to overcome the overscan issue :)

See http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1039433

At least, with this knowledge you know you can always go back to the same point

Thanks for the link.

So if I do factory reset I lose all the settings and then I have to set everything up again?

Not sure how I originally had set it up.

Will factory resetting help me to turn overscan off permanently?

twol
08-10-16, 14:46
Well it allows you now with the experience over the last couple of weeks and the help of the manual perhaps understand better your TV:)
Then you can try some of the tricks like renaming the hdmi to pc etc or even see what options it provides for screensize from the default settings.
But I would first look at the picture display options to see what is available ...I am guessing that it gives you options for normal TV, cinema or films perhaps light or dark rooms or even (but unlikely) a professional option..... probably anything will be better as a starter than the default:)

But if you can always reset, you have nothing to lose and much to gain from trying

champs4life
08-10-16, 14:50
Well it allows you now with the experience over the last couple of weeks and the help of the manual perhaps understand better your TV:)
Then you can try some of the tricks like renaming the hdmi to pc etc or even see what options it provides for screensize from the default settings.
But I would first look at the picture display options to see what is available ...I am guessing that it gives you options for normal TV, cinema or films perhaps light or dark rooms or even (but unlikely) a professional option..... probably anything will be better as a starter than the default:)

But if you can always reset, you have nothing to lose and much to gain from trying

The only downside in resetting I figure is applying the wrong settings.

Andy_Hazza
08-10-16, 14:51

You won't know unless you try. :)

twol
08-10-16, 14:58
.. reset should be fine and then as Andy said, a chance to play even if you get it wrong a couple of times:) ...... which of course you won,t:)

champs4life
08-10-16, 15:18
Ok will try resetting TV completely and seeing if overscan disables or not.

I have tried screen position setup to no avail. I probably am doing it wrong which no surprise. Dont want to use this setup as my TV isnt that old which cant turn off overscan.

champs4life
08-10-16, 22:35
So I followed the link twol sent me to a tee and I have no factory reset option on my tv at all. All I have is picture reset option.

So does that mean not only I can't disable overscan but I can't reset the TV?

Thanks anyway guys but seems there is one issue after another with no chance of resolving the issues.

kryton
08-10-16, 22:44
So I followed the link twol sent me to a tee and I have no factory reset option on my tv at all. All I have is picture reset option.

So does that mean not only I can't disable overscan but I can't reset the TV?

Thanks anyway guys but seems there is one issue after another with no chance of resolving the issues.

You may need to search through your settings to find the factory reset as it might differ from model to model.

Mines in menu / support / self diagnosis / reset.

(Same location as twol's link shows)

Which restores everything except network settings.

cactikid
08-10-16, 23:07
I have the A/V settings as 1080i multi scale letterbox. Not sure if that is issue.?

try not having it set to multi scale letterbox

my pioneer plasma reads like this50761

champs4life
08-10-16, 23:56
You may need to search through your settings to find the factory reset as it might differ from model to model.

Yep, I have gone threw every single menu but there isn't a reset or factory reset page just picture reset.

champs4life
08-10-16, 23:58
I have the A/V settings as 1080i multi scale letterbox. Not sure if that is issue.?

try not having it set to multi scale letterbox

my pioneer plasma reads like this50761

Both 4:3 and 16:9 for me are set to just scale.

Not sure if this is the problem or is correct setting.

Andy_Hazza
09-10-16, 05:13
Set 16:9 to be Letterbox and 4:3 to be Pillarbox. I always set mode to 1080i and refresh mode to Multi.

duoduo
09-10-16, 08:25
Sorry I missed what has been covered in the list few pages. I know this is stating the obvious, but have you played with the picture size (p.size) button on the remote towards the bottom of the remote (on mine).

ccs
09-10-16, 10:05
This might work to factory reset the tv .....

1. With the TV on, press and hold EXIT on the TV remote for 10 seconds.

2. The Factory Reset screen appears displaying a warning message.
Understand that all your settings revert to factory settings if you run the Factory Reset function.

Note: When the Factory Reset screen appears, Cancel is initially highlighted.
If you want to cancel the Factory Reset function, press ENTER now. Otherwise, go to Step 3.

3. Press the ◀ to highlight OK, and then press ENTER.

After the TV completes the Factory Reset, it powers itself off.
When you power the TV on for the first time after the Factory Reset, the Plug & Play screen appears just as if you had turned the TV on for the first time.

Blu-ray
09-10-16, 10:41

Factory setting is hidden on my Samsung tv to excess it with tv off, press info,menu,mute, then power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

champs4life
09-10-16, 21:46
Set 16:9 to be Letterbox and 4:3 to be Pillarbox. I always set mode to 1080i and refresh mode to Multi.

If you dont mind me asking why have both set to letterbox and pillarbox and not just scale for both? I am not sure of the differences.

I dont want a box screen picture on some channels where it doesnt stretch/cover the whole screen which has happened before.

champs4life
09-10-16, 21:48
Sorry I missed what has been covered in the list few pages. I know this is stating the obvious, but have you played with the picture size (p.size) button on the remote towards the bottom of the remote (on mine).

I have done everything friend.

Everything advise here I have done. Even the obvious steps I have done.

But overscan just doesnt wont to stay off for me.

It bloody hates me that it doesnt stay off.

champs4life
09-10-16, 21:50
This might work to factory reset the tv .....

1. With the TV on, press and hold EXIT on the TV remote for 10 seconds.

2. The Factory Reset screen appears displaying a warning message.
Understand that all your settings revert to factory settings if you run the Factory Reset function.

Note: When the Factory Reset screen appears, Cancel is initially highlighted.
If you want to cancel the Factory Reset function, press ENTER now. Otherwise, go to Step 3.

3. Press the ◀ to highlight OK, and then press ENTER.

After the TV completes the Factory Reset, it powers itself off.
When you power the TV on for the first time after the Factory Reset, the Plug & Play screen appears just as if you had turned the TV on for the first time.

Yes I have tried this method today but unfortunealy nothing happens.

I dont understand how they can't be a factory reset option. Its not a 10 year old TV.

I am stressed all the time, but this TV/Box problems has taken its toll on me.

I cant turn overscan off at all. I cant even factory reset my TV. What an utterly crap TV I have.

ronand
09-10-16, 22:50
"Screen fit" is the correct scaling option on your tv as Samsung advised you. You probably have some settings messed up on the stb as well. On the satellite receiver go to Menu->Setup->System->User Interface->Position Setup and report back with the values there. They should be left as default.

cactikid
10-10-16, 00:38
If you dont mind me asking why have both set to letterbox and pillarbox and not just scale for both? I am not sure of the differences.

I dont want a box screen picture on some channels where it doesnt stretch/cover the whole screen which has happened before.

most of the time you get a full picture but on movies you get the letterbox display with some films,stretching them does not look good.older programs still get pillarbox =star trek:eek:

champs4life
10-10-16, 20:38
"Screen fit" is the correct scaling option on your tv as Samsung advised you. You probably have some settings messed up on the stb as well. On the satellite receiver go to Menu->Setup->System->User Interface->Position Setup and report back with the values there. They should be left as default.

I did try to change screen position setup settings as was advised to do so as couldn't get overscan off. This done nothing. Maybe I am doing it wrong I don't know.

I did set it to drag it after by pressing yellow.

champs4life
10-10-16, 20:45
most of the time you get a full picture but on movies you get the letterbox display with some films,stretching them does not look good.older programs still get pillarbox =star trek:eek:

I'm still confused by this what exactly is the letterbox and pillarbox display?

So just scale just stretches the picture to cover the whole screen?

I don't like viewing content where the picture is like a box and picture doesn't cover the screen.

cactikid
10-10-16, 21:06
have you tried it as like mine?

ronand
10-10-16, 21:42
Can you set the screen position settings to default and leave them there. If you set the screen setting on the tv to "screen fit" then overscan is off. What is your actual problem then??? Worrying about 4:3 and 16:9 is only confusing things - if you want to fill the stretch a 4:3 picture to fill the screen then use "just scale". This is absolutely nothing to do with overscan and should be ignored for the moment until you sort the original problem. Also make sure auto resolution is turned off (in the receiver a/v setup). Try uploading a picture of the problem as very little of what you are telling us is making sense.

champs4life
10-10-16, 22:16
have you tried it as like mine?

Ye, but on some channels the picture is in a box with black border/bars around.

Picture doesnt cover the whole screen.

Dont like it like that tbh.

champs4life
10-10-16, 22:21
Can you set the screen position settings to default and leave them there. If you set the screen setting on the tv to "screen fit" then overscan is off. What is your actual problem then??? Worrying about 4:3 and 16:9 is only confusing things - if you want to fill the stretch a 4:3 picture to fill the screen then use "just scale". This is absolutely nothing to do with overscan and should be ignored for the moment until you sort the original problem. Also make sure auto resolution is turned off (in the receiver a/v setup). Try uploading a picture of the problem as very little of what you are telling us is making sense.

I dont understand what is confusing about my problems.

I have had numerous problems which I have explained to the best of my ability what else do you want from me?

If you read what I wrote originally. Yes I can change to screen fit but overscan is only TEMPORARILY off. As if I reboot box or turn TV of it goes back to 16:9 in the screen settings thus making overscan come back on again.

the whole just scale, pillarbox, letterbox settings in regards to 4:3 and 16:9 is seperate issue and I know it hasnt got anything to do with overscan.

Problem is I CANT turn overscan off permanently. I CANT factory reset my TV.

I dont understand what I have said that doesnt make sense.

Please do not stress me out more. I have already had enough of that.

ronand
10-10-16, 22:52
Right take it up with samsung. i will leave you to it.

adm
11-10-16, 01:22
Ye, but on some channels the picture is in a box with black border/bars around.

Picture doesnt cover the whole screen.

Dont like it like that tbh.

With some channels and with some programs you will always get black borders top/bottom or at the sides. It depends on how the broadcaster formats the image before broadcasting. Sometimes the broadcaster will take a programme originally made in a 4:3 format and convert it to a 16:9 format by placing the black bars left and right. When you box/tv receives the signal it is already in a 16:9 format with the black bars. The black borders top and bottom are as a result of a film being shot in a format wider than 16:9 and rather than cropping a bit from each side the broadcaster will add an blank area top and bottom to maintain the aspect ratio of the original film stock. These blanking areas can vary film to film and there isn't one film standard size.

Your box can stretch some 4:3 format broadcast material to fill a 16:9 screen but if the broadcaster has already formatted it to 16:9 you can still end up with black bars. For instance BBC2 Dad's Army originally made in a 4:3 format seems to have been converted for transmission and will have black bars.

Many people don't like stretchy vision where 4:3 formatted images are displayed full screen 16:9 as it makes people look fat but with the obesity crisis in the UK/USA most viewers don't notice this too much these days.

Trial
11-10-16, 08:10
Hi,
you must distinguish:

HD is always transmitted in 16:9 so neither letterbox nor pan&scan do anything.

SD if picture is 4:3
- Just scale makes people look fat because the picture is stretched horizontally until the black bar is gone.
- pan&scan keeps aspect/ratio and people look OK because horizontal and vertical stretch is the same. You loose some information on top and bottom, it is cut.
- letterbox shows pixel 1:1 without stretching, bars left and right

SD if picture is 16:9
- Just scale makes people get egg faces because the picture is stretched vertically until the black bar is gone.
- pan&scan keeps aspect/ratio and people look OK because horizontal and vertical stretch is the same. If movie is in >16:9 like 21:9 (often blockbuster) you have small black bars on top and bottom.
- letterbox shows pixel 1:1 without stretching, bars left, right, top and bottom

I prefer pan&scan.

ciao

ccs
11-10-16, 11:41
Did you ever try this to factory reset the tv.....
Factory setting is hidden on my Samsung tv, to access it (with tv off) press info,menu,mute, then power.

ccs
11-10-16, 13:44
Either the tv is setup wrongly, your vix box is configured wrongly, (or both).

This is what I would do, for what it's worth, but I fully understand that it's not a path you want to follow.

(1) Update the firmware on the tv. This will effectively do a factory reset of most, if not all, settings.
These updates are supposed to fix problems, and improve others features.

Try it out and see if your problems can now be sorted.

I've never had a telly I could update the firmware on, so if this really is not advisable, then someone needs to say.

(2) If (1) hasn't helped, I would take an image backup of vix, and then flash the latest image without a settings/plugins restore.

Try it out by playing back recordings which should be the easiest way (no tuner setup needed). See how it goes.
Try different AV settings, but make a note of each change you make.
And you can change the position of the menus etc using Menu/Setup/System/User Interface/Position Setup.
You can get back to your original image in a few minutes by restoring it.

You could try (2) first if you wanted.

Trial
11-10-16, 14:09
Hi,
the box cannot enable/disable overscan on a TV. It is pure TV problem. I take a look at my Samsung settings when I am home.

ciao

Trial
11-10-16, 19:07
Hi,
I checked my F-Type and I found nothing special I did. Only thing I always do first is disable CEC (Anynet+). I also had around 10 firmware updates without any problems. Perhaps I am a lucky guy.

Ralf

champs4life
06-01-17, 02:18
Hi everyone.

Apologies for the late reply. I have been seriously ill for a number of months and was barely online.

I did want to update this thread that after speaking to Samsung some time ago they informed to to disable overscan on the TV I have to hold the exit button I think for 10 seconds and let go which will get factory reset screen up. Don't remember full instructions. Managed to do that. The option after switch TV off still showed Screen Fit in the screen settings so does this mean overscan is off?

Problem is settings are at default and never changed the picture settings on the TV. Anyone tell me best settings to use?

Andy_Hazza
06-01-17, 07:26
Hello and sorry to hear about your illness.
As regards your TV settings, selecting "Screen Fit" does indeed disable overscan on your TV.

champs4life
06-01-17, 19:18
Ok fine.

But with it resetting everything from scratch it did so with all settings.

What are the best picture settings to apply because all the settings are at default.

Not even sure what to do to get best picture settings seeing as everything had been factory reset.

Andy_Hazza
06-01-17, 19:42
Just try a different picture setting, I.e. Dynamic, Cinema modes etc and see which best suits you and your eyes etc. Everyone's settings will vary so no right or wrongs with regards the best picture.

champs4life
06-01-17, 20:45
Thats the thing Andy I have tried different settings and none of them seem to make any difference or not that I can notice.

As its all set to default not sure how much to change the settings if at all.

Thats why I asked if anyone especially with a Samsung TV could tell me what could be the best settings to apply.

lammy1961
07-01-17, 10:31
I have had a Samsung UE55ES8000 for a couple of years and I used settings recommended from this site.
Hope it helps.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-lcd-2012-tv-recommended-picture-settings-shown-with-menu-examples.1656351/

champs4life
07-01-17, 12:37
Would those settings apply to my TV.

I know that every TV is different as some settings will work better on other TVs.

Atm the settings being on default not sure whether that is a positive or negative.

I really cant tell what the best settings are after randomly changing them.

lammy1961
08-01-17, 11:40
I just Googled "Best settings for Samsung UE55ES8000"
It's just a matter of personal preferences.

champs4life
08-01-17, 15:57
I have tried again today but I cant figure out the settings to change.

Default settings seem fine but I know PQ can be greater if I change the settings.

Also noticed I have white dots and white lines either at the top or side on some channels since turning overscan off. Why is this happening? Its really annoying.

tomuser
08-01-17, 16:40
Also noticed I have white dots and white lines either at the top or side on some channels since turning overscan off. Why is this happening? Its really annoying.
It's a part of signal from some providers/services. In the channel list press menu and you can select option to hide that line. Unfortunately it has to be done separately for each channel. Maybe request for developers to make it selectable somewhere in global settings for all.

champs4life
08-01-17, 17:11
Oh ok thought it was because of the broadcasters.

Where do I hide the line exactly as I cant find the relevant option in menu?

Thanks.