PDA

View Full Version : Connect Duo to internet via laptop with 3g modem

08-01-11, 19:03
Hi,

I have a 3G Mobile broadband dongle connected into my laptop as I dont have internet access in my home yet and am waiting for a 3G Router to arrive.

Is it possible to use a ethernet cable and connect the Duo to my laptop and share the internet that way to be able to connect to a server?

Each time I try and connect duo to my laptop I end up getting a 169 address.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

silverfox0786
08-01-11, 19:20
use a crossover ethernet cable not a pss through cable

abdul.jabbar
11-01-11, 18:14
Hi,
A question based on the orignal question for more clarification..

1. If i have say a cable modem but no computer or laptop . can i connect the cable modem via a crossover cable directly to the sat box and set the sat box to dhcp. In my case i have a dm500s but the principal would be the same for any box i hope. Would this work

2. say i had no internet ie cable modem/ router/laptop/ pc etc at all... (my mums house)..
Could i take my 3g prepaid internet dongle to her house with a satellite box and connect my dongle directly to the box and get satellite tv. the box is configured with a cline.
Which boxes on the market allow this..

Larry-G
11-01-11, 18:21
once the router is setup there is no need for it to be connected to a pc/ laptop.
i have 5 boxes ( dreamboxes and TM's ) all connected either directly to a router or via a network switch to the router. there is no need for the pc in my setup, except to load bouquet files or change picons etc.

abdul.jabbar
12-01-11, 00:30
so a router is required which in turn is connected to the sat box. what i was trying to find out was whether i can connect my cable modem directly to the sat box without a router or switch. I tried this once and on the dream box i got address as the external address ie 80. which did not work but i was using a normal ethernet cable not a cross over cable. i than added the router to modem and than the sat box to the router which gave me the internal 192.x address which worked

plusser
12-01-11, 12:34
Is it possible to use a ethernet cable and connect the Duo to my laptop and share the internet that way to be able to connect to a server?

You can enable Internet Connection Sharing - I haven't tried this but this should work (use at own risk!):

Connect laptop and VU with crossover ethernet cable.

(Vista) > Network and Sharing Centre.

Under Sharing and Discovery >
Network discovery On
File Sharing On
Public folder sharing On (read only)
Printer sharing Off
Password protected sharing Off
Media sharing Off

Go to network connections >
Right click the local area connection > properties > networking > properties for Protocol TCP/IPv4
"Use the following IP" (eg. IP 192.168.xxx.xxx Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0) > OK

Network connections > right click on Lan card or Dongle using internet connection > sharing > enable both options to share.
> OK

Pleae report back if you try this.

+er

Der_Andy_C
12-01-11, 13:27
as a general rule to connect something like the VU to:

- A computer you need a x-over cable
- A cable / ADSL modem you need a straight-wired / non x-over cable
- A router then a straight-wired cable will work, and with newer routers often x-over cables will work too.

For situations where you need to get small packets of data over your internet connection as quickly as possible then a wired network with as few interfaces (hubs, switches, routers etc) in the path as possible is best.

Some cable modems lock themselves to a mac address and need to be turned off for up to 4 hours to accept a new device. This can be solved by mac spoofing, but don't know if it's possible with the VU. There's no reason in theory (as far as i'm aware) for the vu not to work if connected directly to the modem and thus not have a 192 internal IP address.

pege63
13-01-11, 15:20
Buy a DOVADO 4GR best 3/4G Router ever
http://www.dovado.com/4GR.html

plusser
13-01-11, 17:16
Buy a DOVADO 4GR best 3/4G Router ever
http://www.dovado.com/4GR.html

FOUR-ZERO-FOUR

+er

abdul.jabbar
19-01-11, 01:37
2. say i had no internet ie cable modem/ router/laptop/ pc etc at all... (my mums house)..
Could i take my 3g prepaid internet dongle to her house with a satellite box and connect my dongle directly to the box and get satellite tv. the box is configured with a cline.

By having no answers to this question above can i take it this is not possible with any box yet...

plusser
19-01-11, 09:38

By having no answers to this question above can i take it this is not possible with any box yet...

As far as I know you cannot connect a 3g dongle to any receiver. You need a 3g router connected to the box by a ethernet cable. I use an Edimax 6200n (find them on well-known auction site for around/under 30 quid) which I find looks good and works great.
Note that under 3g you can only act as client as port-forwarding doesn't work ("home" sharing should still work).
HTH

+er

abdul.jabbar
19-01-11, 12:19
@ plusser
Thanks mate