PDA

View Full Version : HDD Disappears from system

silverblack
29-09-16, 15:15
I have the latest openvix installed and have a 500gb 2.5 HDD connected via the rear usb.
Ive initialised the HDD in the menu and set to no standby.
All appears fine at first i can view the drive in the menus.But after 5 mins or so it disappears.
I cant record as there is no HDD,ive tried no standby,5mins,10mins etc but does not seem to make any difference.
Anyone else seen this ?

blackvenom
29-09-16, 20:17
Maybe it's a power issue. What external hard drive do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverblack
29-09-16, 21:04
Its a 500gb USB powered drive.It picks up the drive at first i can store the EPG etc on it and record.
Having viewed the recording there is a lot of picture break up.
Think i might need a Mains Powered Dock ?

cactikid
29-09-16, 21:58
any external hdd i have are all mains powered as the portable did not work for me also.

silverblack
29-09-16, 22:20
Will try it in a mains powered dock see how it goes.

silverblack
07-10-16, 17:42
Can anyone recommend a HDD caddy that works ?
Just got hold of a Sumvision junk that wont even recognise the HDD just sits there ticking instead of spinning up !

robbson
07-10-16, 22:18
I did have exactly same problem. I use standard 2.5 caddy off ebay with two usb plugs connected to both usb ports – all works fine. Previously only one usb cable was connected to the rear usb port (must be power issue).

Larry-G
08-10-16, 11:11
That's why it has been stated for at least the past 5 years when using external USB hard drives always go for one with its own power source as the bus powered ones can draw too much or not enough power rendering both the drive and receiver unstable.

silverblack
09-10-16, 17:02
Ive connected the HDD up with a powered adaptor for sata drives and all is working fine now.
Guess there just isn't enough power for USB connection at least not with a 500GB HD.