PDA

View Full Version : Satellite receiver to allow tablet connections?

malraff
27-09-16, 15:23
hi

just moved into a new house, and the wife is moaning about not being able to series link the soaps etc so shes killing my 50gb data allowance a month streaming crap!:@

i have the house rigged up for satellite, and have an old sky+ box setup with magic eye in bedrooms etc - but i hate the thought of paying sky a sub just to series link shows and record!

does anyone have a better solution for me? i basically need to record tv, have a decent series link capability and be able to view the recorded shows via RF outs or stream to a tablet, i see the new sky platform (Q) has tablet connection capabilities etc so surely one of these android boxed will do the same?

hope someone can help :)

mal

twol
27-09-16, 15:34
So what are you (wife) trying to watch fta (like BBC) or encrypted Sky channels
The (linux based Enigma2) receivers sold by WoS have the capabilities you talk about but need to know more .... and RF out is pretty limiting, there are better ways of doing this.

malraff
28-09-16, 11:36
just for fta channels

i live in the middle of no where, hence best copper connection id get with BT is 1.5MB, so luckily im in the middle of nowhere on top of a hill and can get 4G (20 to 30Mb down) but 50gb is the best deal ee do - believe me its hard to manage as i used to download games at 40 to 50 gb in size before i moved.

we have all apple devices, do you think they will work ok with mounted storage access?

there is bound to be a device that deals with this nice and easy as per the sky q deviceS?

twol
28-09-16, 12:13
Provided you can set up a decent lan in the house where preferably you can have everything directly attached otherwise good wifi connections, then you need a reasonable E2 receiver with 2 dvb-s2 tuners and internal hdd so that you can watch/record.
Then assuming you have ipads you can use an app to stream live from the E2 receiver or perhaps for bedroom use, another cheaper (slave/client) receiver connected to the master receiver over the lan, that either can stream live or watch recordings on the master.

You need to read more and decide what you want.

malraff
28-09-16, 13:33
yea considered sat, the kit is free (on rental) with the sub scheme but its a bit of a con as companies had already started to give you the kit for free anyway. but its 60 quid a month for 40gb!! with pretty poor peak time download speeds and horrible latency issues (800ms+),

at least with EE i have 50 GB for 35 quid (company scheme gets me 20% disc) downspeed has never dropped below 15MB with a ping of around 30ms!

i am in the middle of setting up a decent lan, all rooms have cat 5 connection to a network switch as wifi would not suffice with block walls and general floorplan of the bungalow

i like the idea of the master /slave setup, what model would you recommend for a decent master unit?

twol
28-09-16, 15:17
The xtrend et8500 and edision mini would be fine, but there are other choices as they all have the same e2 image capability.

malraff
28-09-16, 15:20
cheers twol

had been having a look at the ET8500 after seeing it in your sig :)

so its e2 image capability what i need to look out for? (im techy enough but ignorant with sat kit)

twol
28-09-16, 16:59
You will find there are a significant number of E2 images developed by different groups all offering something a little bit different in terms of packaging and support for diffferent receivers (skins, plugin etc) over the core basic image.
Many (such as OpenViX) belong to a group OE-A that provides a shared common core. Others are such as OpenATV, OpenXTA and OpenPli (not a OE-A member).
So for instance if you really, really want the receiver to look like a Sky box, you can download a skin to do that.

It takes time to get used to the setup, but most non-techy people manage to do it.

malraff
28-09-16, 19:49
Thanks for taking time to answer twol it has me curious to what exactly I could do with a decent box!

twol
28-09-16, 20:11
Thanks for taking time to answer twol it has me curious to what exactly I could do with a decent box!

.... the only issue (for your wife) is that it might become a hobby :)

s1m0nw
30-09-16, 19:02
Three network do an unlimited internet package

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk