PDA

View Full Version : Updating VIX - Can't use back-up file?

G42
25-09-16, 21:36
Hi there,

I am currently running on Vix 3.2.037 however today I have been encountering issues where I can't download plugins/updates (error please try again later). After a bit of reading, I decided to upgrade to the latest version of Openvix...

I've read that I can't use a backup file from 3.2 when I flash 4.2 because too much may have changed between versions.

So, my question is, what can I backup to take with me in smaller chunks?

I understand that I can export bouquets from iDreamX and then import them once flashed.
I have a USB stick that holds my EPG and picons, can I just plug that back in once updated or do I need anything else?

If anyone has a handy list of what to save from where that would be useful.

I started learning Openvix from scratch this year and it is a daunting thought going back to a blank canvas when I flash the latest version!

Thanks

ccs
25-09-16, 21:39
..................deleted

Larry-G
25-09-16, 21:40
First thing you need to do is read the rules. No talk of lines is permitted here under any circumstances. you don't need to backup any thing EPG related as the image will rebuild it when you setup any way. I would not bother with bouquets either unless there custom files.

G42
25-09-16, 21:44
Points noted and original post edited.

So when I flash the new version, my 'to do list' will be:

Configure wifi settings etc.
Download the skin I was using.
Download picons

There isn't any other settings I can export or copy from iDreamX?

Larry-G
25-09-16, 21:47
Obviously copy the files that must not be mentioned and maybe your timers and autotimers.xml files from etc/enigma2/ if you have timers you don't want to loose. Other than that I'd just do a fresh setup it's the best way.

Larry-G
25-09-16, 21:48
But make a full image and a settings backup first just to be safe. You can always reflash back to the working image if needed or open the settings backup with 7-zip to extract files too.

wullboy
25-09-16, 21:55
Hi there,

I am currently running on Vix 3.2.037 however today I have been encountering issues where I can't download plugins/updates (error please try again later). After a bit of reading, I decided to upgrade to the latest version of Openvix...

I've read that I can't use a backup file from 3.2 when I flash 4.2 because too much may have changed between versions.

So, my question is, what can I backup to take with me in smaller chunks?

I understand that I can export bouquets from iDreamX and then import them once flashed.
I have a USB stick that holds my EPG and picons, can I just plug that back in once updated or do I need anything else?

If anyone has a handy list of what to save from where that would be useful.

I started learning Openvix from scratch this year and it is a daunting thought going back to a blank canvas when I flash the latest version!

Thanks

use dreamboxedit to back up your bouquets, back up your cam, and any other files that you have added yourself,reflash your box [ you may need an updated bootloader ] go through the install wizard, then put in your back up files, reboot box, should work ok ??