PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] constant freezing on certain channels

prismv
24-09-16, 18:01
Hi
I’m hoping someone can help me.
I’ve got a VU DUO box running VIX 3.2 but I’m having real problems watching the sports channels.

The majority of the Sky Sports channels and now BT sport will constantly glitch on me pausing for over 10 seconds every minute to the point that it’s unwatchable.
It will also do this on some of the kids channels too.
More recently I’ve lost BT sport HD altogether so have to watch it on the low res option.

I’m wondering what the reason for this could be, I have a fast fibre connection so I know it’s not the internet and it seems all the free to air channels are ok so this glitch only affects certain channels.

I was wondering if I should update my VIX image to the latest one?
Usually I update through the Download now option on the box itself, however as I’m on 3.2 Vix (build 037) which is really old (22/2/2016) I now have to update by USB but I’m worried if I do the USB image, it will reset and wipe all my current settings and I don’t know enough about it to set it up from scratch again as I had help to do it the first time but I’m no longer in touch with the person who did this for me.

I would very much appreciate some help on this please as I’m really struggling with what to do next and daren't try an update incase I lose all my settings.

Thanks in advance

john doe
24-09-16, 18:23
it is always good to update your box to the latest image.

the gliching is down to how you have your box setup??

prismv
24-09-16, 18:49
it is always good to update your box to the latest image.

the gliching is down to how you have your box setup??

Thanks can you tell me what will happen if I update via USB though to the latest image?
Will I lose my existing settings on the old image?

I'm not sure I follow on the settings comment as the person who set it up for me has his box set up in the same way and he didn't report any freezes on his system, also why would it not freeze on the free to air channels and just do it on certain others?

Sorry I'm still very new to all this.

M

abu baniaz
24-09-16, 18:53
If you flash a new image, everything will be wiped.

You have to save the config files to read you card. Flash new image and then send config files back to receiver.

prismv
24-09-16, 19:03
If you flash a new image, everything will be wiped.

You have to save the config files to read you card. Flash new image and then send config files back to receiver.

Ok thanks for that, this is what I thought.
So is there a tutorial where I can save my current settings flash then restore them.

I'm ok to follow instructions if there is a guide to do this but I would have no idea of how to do it on my own.

twol
24-09-16, 19:06
Menu/setup/vix backup manager .. press menu and you can set where the settings are saved (not flash!) preferably usb.
Then backup!
Flash and restore settings when asked. ...... but flashing from 3.2 to 3.4 requires you to set up from fresh.

But key question is are you using an official card or not...... if not that's possibly why you are seeing the issues

prismv
24-09-16, 19:23
Menu/setup/vix backup manager .. press menu and you can set where the settings are saved (not flash!) preferably usb.
Then backup!
Flash and restore settings when asked. ...... but flashing from 3.2 to 3.4 requires you to set up from fresh.

But key question is are you using an official card or not...... if not that's possibly why you are seeing the issues

Thanks ok I'll do that.
I'm looking to set up the new latest image on 4.2 so will it want to do this from scratch or is there a self help guide I can follow please.

john doe
24-09-16, 21:07
see here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick . thanks to scillian

before flashing see twol's suggestion. once done you are ready to flash

find your image for duo and download from vix site, extract to desktop, and put File VUPLUS onto usb and follow flashing instructions .

prismv
24-09-16, 21:51
see here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick . thanks to scillian

before flashing see twol's suggestion. once done you are ready to flash

find your image for duo and download from vix site, extract to desktop, and put File VUPLUS onto usb and follow flashing instructions .

Thanks I'm ok with doing all that but what I'll struggle with is how to set it all up back again as I know there are lots of different settings to re-apply

ccs
24-09-16, 21:58
Most settings are in /etc/enigma2/settings and are readable/printable.

They might not always be the easiest values to decipher, but I use it as a reminder when starting from scratch.

(remember to take a copy before reflashing.)

DaMacFunkin
25-09-16, 09:08
Thanks can you tell me what will happen if I update via USB though to the latest image?
Will I lose my existing settings on the old image?

I'm not sure I follow on the settings comment as the person who set it up for me has his box set up in the same way and he didn't report any freezes on his system, also why would it not freeze on the free to air channels and just do it on certain others?

Sorry I'm still very new to all this.

M

If it does not freeze on fta channels, but it does on particularly the Sports channels, maybe your card is faulty, sometimes giving them a wipe and reinserting can help.

ronand
25-09-16, 10:01
I doubt there is a card to be faulty.

john doe
25-09-16, 10:15
Thanks I'm ok with doing all that but what I'll struggle with is how to set it all up back again as I know there are lots of different settings to re-apply

please see this guide http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23571-New-box-set-up-guide

if you get stuck come back to the forum

imish
25-09-16, 12:22
If it does not freeze on fta channels, but it does on particularly the Sports channels, maybe your card is faulty, sometimes giving them a wipe and reinserting can help.

Agree - if the FTA channels are fine then it is unlikely to be the box and hence a fresh image is probably not going to fix it.

to the OP - if you are not confident with a re-flash and setup from scratch then i wouldn't recommend upgrading to the latest image - unless there is definitely something wrong with the current image - which by the description so far seems unlikely.

Larry-G
25-09-16, 13:48
Also bear in mind that if you do flash the latest image from any team into a original Duo you will have to run both a swap file and the dreaded cache flush plugin otherwise the receiver will just be unusable.

prismv
25-09-16, 17:08
Also bear in mind that if you do flash the latest image from any team into a original Duo you will have to run both a swap file and the dreaded cache flush plugin otherwise the receiver will just be unusable.

Sorry what is this?
I don't recall doing this before

Andy_Hazza
25-09-16, 17:16
A swap file is a must for the old ageing Vu+ Duo. Blue Button > ViX > Swap Manager. Create a 256MB swap file to the HDD. Make sure you AutoStart .& Activate when created.
Cache plugin is downloadable via the feeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prismv
25-09-16, 18:19
A swap file is a must for the old ageing Vu+ Duo. Blue Button > ViX > Swap Manager. Create a 256MB swap file to the HDD. Make sure you AutoStart .& Activate when created.
Cache plugin is downloadable via the feeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right thanks, is this part of the problem perhaps with the freezing?
Is it worth a try before I reflash to the newest setup?

Thanks

john doe
25-09-16, 18:52

Thanks

you can try it before flashing and see what outcome is. the freezing could be down to how your card setup and depends on softcam used.

Larry-G
25-09-16, 21:00

Thanks

Doubtful as your freezing issue as stated seems only to be on paid for i.e encrypted channels and that's likely down to how you acquire those channels presuming your not using a sky card (if so you won't get help for that as per forum rules).

Cache flush is primarily for use with receivers suffering memory leak issues and that affects all channels and renders the box unusable.

duoduo
25-09-16, 21:11
How on earth has this thread got has far as it has? Your freezing issue is due to the method you are using to watch subscription TV. You might be new to this fantastic hobby, but I doubt you are that naive to not know how you get the paid TV.

Larry-G
25-09-16, 21:12
How on earth has this thread got has far as it has? Your freezing issue is due to the method you are using to watch subscription TV. You might be new to this fantastic hobby, but I doubt you are that naive to not know how you get the paid TV.

obviously the PC brigade here are scared to call him out as a plonker and skirting around the issue lol.

chris16v
26-09-16, 13:14
The majority of the Sky Sports channels and now BT sport will constantly glitch on me pausing for over 10 seconds every minute to the point that it’s unwatchable.
It will also do this on some of the kids channels too.
More recently I’ve lost BT sport HD altogether so have to watch it on the low res option.

Plainly this is a classic rule 4a? ecm times will be high and i wonder why... it rhymes !!