PDA

View Full Version : Which 3 way cable splitter?

joysleep1
19-09-16, 14:47
Hi

I am after a 3 way cable splitter but can not decide which one to go with.
I see one which says 5-1000 MHZ and one that says 5-2400 MHZ. What does this mean/?
Which one is better?

Thanks

ccs
19-09-16, 15:10
.... it simply defines the frequency range that can pass thru' the splitter, what you need is another matter.

I'm sure someone will advise how to best achieve what you're trying to do.

What cable are you trying to split?

joysleep1
19-09-16, 15:18
.... it simply defines the frequency range that can pass thru' the splitter, what you need is another matter.

I'm sure someone will advise how to best achieve what you're trying to do.

What cable are you trying to split?

My main virgin media cable feed? So what is the actual difference between them. Which one is better?

ccs
19-09-16, 15:43
It will depend on the quality of the signal, 5-1000 is probably what you need, 5-2400 should be ok, but you may need a powered splitter.

There are lots of threads on this forum about splitters, but I don't think you'll find what's suitable for you until you try one (a splitter, that is).

Unhelpful, I know.

adm
19-09-16, 16:49
Hi

I am after a 3 way cable splitter but can not decide which one to go with.
I see one which says 5-1000 MHZ and one that says 5-2400 MHZ. What does this mean/?
Which one is better?

Thanks

5 to 1000MHz and 5 to 2500MHz are the frequency ranges of the splitters. For cable and TV via an aerial 5 to 1000MHz is suitable but the 5 to 2500MHz will also work.

If splitting a cable TV line a three way split may or may not work. The more ways the split the lower the signal on each output. Assuming a dual cable tuner box you also have the option of feeding one coax wire into one of the tuners and using loop-through of the second tuner allowing the use of a two way splitter rather than 3 way.

joysleep1
19-09-16, 16:55
5 to 1000MHz and 5 to 2500MHz are the frequency ranges of the splitters. For cable and TV via an aerial 5 to 1000MHz is suitable but the 5 to 2500MHz will also work.

If splitting a cable TV line a three way split may or may not work. The more ways the split the lower the signal on each output. Assuming a dual cable tuner box you also have the option of feeding one coax wire into one of the tuners and using loop-through of the second tuner allowing the use of a two way splitter rather than 3 way.

Yh i have tried the loop through way. But i seem to get a slight problem with it.
So in my case, the main feed is comming into tuner B. I have then looped it into tuner c and then d. Now all of the HD channels are find when tuner B is in use. So when i record something, tuner B is occupied. THe problem then is that certain channels like sky sports F1 HD sky sports 3 HD and Eurosport HD do not work when tuner C or D has to be used. Other channels work fine. Only if tuner B is in use then those channels would work. Otherwise i get the fuzziest picture or timeout tuner messege or no free tuner problem. So i thought it is worth splitting the cables and inserting them individually without looping. But i was not sure which splitter to buy

DaMacFunkin
19-09-16, 17:32
You have one of two problems.
1, Your loop out ports are losing db meaning that your signal is degrading just enough to knock 'some' channels off, sky sports HD channels are a prime example of this, if so you need an amplifier, or a powered splitter... This is most likley.
2, in the old days rf loop through could actually add a couple of db to the signal, if you where doing a small video production run and had it wired through loop the signal would gradually become to strong and wavy lines would appear, in this case you would add attenuators to reduce the signal.

It could just need attenuation on the first loop in, but in my experience with looped through cable it needs extra power.

joysleep1
19-09-16, 17:36
You have one of two problems.
1, Your loop out ports are losing db meaning that your signal is degrading just enough to knock 'some' channels off, sky sports HD channels are a prime example of this, if so you need an amplifier, or a powered splitter... This is most likley.
2, in the old days rf loop through could actually add a couple of db to the signal, if you where doing a small video production run and had it wired through loop the signal would gradually become to strong and wavy lines would appear, in this case you would add attenuators to reduce the signal.

It could just need attenuation on the first loop in, but in my experience with looped through cable it needs extra power.

Ok where can i buy a good amplifier to powered splitter from?
Any links? Suggestions?

TK4|2|1
19-09-16, 19:37
You'll only lose 6db with a 3 way splitter, nothing to worry about.

joysleep1
19-09-16, 20:08
I know this is a long shot, but is there anyway you can assign certain channels to use a particular tuner.?

adm
19-09-16, 21:39
You'll only lose 6db with a 3 way splitter, nothing to worry about.

Nothing to worry about unless the signal is already too low with a 2 way splitter

A good quality two way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 4.7dB (each output = approx 0.58 of the input voltage)
A good quality three way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 7.0dB (each output = approx 0.45 of the input voltage)

The problem may not however be too little signal and may be something to do with perhaps with the way that loop through is working when something is being recorded and a 3 way splitter may may be the cheap solution.

Example

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/konig-3-way-f-splitter-2250mhz.htm

It has F connectors but F to coax adapters (male or female) are available cheaply on ebay

adm
19-09-16, 22:08
Ok where can i buy a good amplifier to powered splitter from?
Any links? Suggestions?

You would use your existing two way splitter with one output feeding a distribution amplifier/booster.

On one of the UK TV groups I read what is often recommend is the Proception range of amps/boosters made by Blakes aerials

Check Proception PROAMP24 which has 4 coax output connectors or the more expensive PROAMP24R with F connectors (prices vary by a lot so shop around)
Example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROCEPTION-PROAMP24-AMPLIFIER-TV-AERIAL-4-WAY-FREE-P-P-/232012658057?hash=item3605083589:g:8r0AAOSwAPlXh4g 3

Ebay listing taken at random

This would allow you to feed each tuner from an individual amp/booster output.
There are other cheaper boxes from other manufactures. Other posters may recommend the amps/boosters they use.

Are you using cables between the tuner output and the next tuner input or is there an internal loop through setting on your box. If the latter try a cable loop and disable the internal setting (the cable can be 2 or 3 metres for this test as short cables are for cosmetic reasons only - it looks tidy)

cactikid
19-09-16, 22:59
a while ago i mentioned using a 5-2500 and as told i should be using a 5-1000mhz which i am now.