PDA

View Full Version : Tuner losing connection every night

sarntech
19-09-16, 10:10
I have the Xtrend 8500 set to go into deep standby from midnight to 6.00am.
Every morning Tuner A shows red. A reboot reconnects so it's not a major problem but are there any suggestions to stop this happening?

sarntech
21-09-16, 16:34
It's still happening every night.
Any ideas? :confused:

twol
21-09-16, 16:56
By Red, I assume you mean its in use?
If so I guess someone is playing with your receiver, so have you opened up your systems to outside users?

sarntech
21-09-16, 17:00
As far as I know nobody else has access.
The red tuner is receiving no signal until I reboot.

Andy_Hazza
21-09-16, 17:03
Take your ethernet cable out and then try a channel. If this cures it you have opened your ports on your router/hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarntech
21-09-16, 17:06
Take your ethernet cable out and then try a channel. If this cures it you have opened your ports on your router/hub.

It's a wifi connection.

Andy_Hazza
21-09-16, 17:08
Turn Wifi off then and test.

ccs
21-09-16, 17:09
... disable wifi then.

sarntech
21-09-16, 17:14
Turn Wifi off then and test.

OK.
I'll report back. The problem only happens overnight so I won't know if the problem is fixed until tomorrow.

ccs
21-09-16, 19:55
Didn't you have problems getting more than 1 tuner working a while back?

sarntech
21-09-16, 23:01
Didn't you have problems getting more than 1 tuner working a while back?
Yes, it was fixed when I got the two satellite feeds connected to the box. I hadn't realised that only one feed was live. :confused:

sarntech
22-09-16, 09:33
Unplugged wifi last night and the problem returned. Tuner A was red in the display, was receiving no signal. A reboot fixed it.
It's not a major problem but it would be better if it didn't happen.

abu baniaz
22-09-16, 09:42
Have you scheduled anything overnight?

Sicilian
22-09-16, 10:18
Sounds like something is accessing your Tuner A. As Abu said, what do you have scheduled? ABM? CrossEPG?

sarntech
22-09-16, 11:38
Have you scheduled anything overnight?
It's scheduled to go in and out of deep standby overnight.

sarntech
23-09-16, 09:49
Sounds like something is accessing your Tuner A. As Abu said, what do you have scheduled? ABM? CrossEPG?
ABM is scheduled to run overnight as well as going in and out of deep standby.

abu baniaz
23-09-16, 14:52
I have never understood why people set receiver to wake up in middle of night to do ABM or Cross then go back to sleep.

Might as well as adjust normal waking up time.

Back on topic, please double check, AutoBouquetsMaker or AutoBouquets E2 28.2

sarntech
23-09-16, 15:29
I have never understood why people set receiver to wake up in middle of night to do ABM or Cross then go back to sleep.

Might as well as adjust normal waking up time.

Back on topic, please double check, AutoBouquetsMaker or AutoBouquets E2 28.2

AutoBouquetsMaker 2.4. Is that what you mean? If not where do I find the info?
What do you suggest as the best timing for the ABM. I reasoned, probably wrongly, that the middle of the night would be less likely to interfere with anything.

sarntech
24-09-16, 14:46
This morning Tuner B had lost the connection :confused::confused:
Would it be better to run ABM in the morning? Or put the 8500 into and out of deep standby during the night?

abu baniaz
24-09-16, 14:57
Best to enable debug logs and attach them after issue occurs. Otherwise we will be guessing. Sorry should have said this earlier.

ABM takes 30 seconds for single provider users. Schedule whenever you like. Let receiver have a full night's sleep.

abu baniaz
24-09-16, 15:12
Can you explain what tuner lost connection means in different words.

People usually get:
Had a tune failed message
No free tuner
Tuner disappeared from system.

sarntech
24-09-16, 15:28
Can you explain what tuner lost connection means in different words.

People usually get:
Had a tune failed message
No free tuner
Tuner disappeared from system.
When the 8500 is turned on in the morning, Tuner A is red in the display. It is not connected. A reboot solves the problem.

abu baniaz
24-09-16, 15:39
What do you mean by "not connected"? Not being awkward just need to understand what problem is.

Also, is the receiver in standby already at that point?

twol
24-09-16, 15:55
When the 8500 is turned on in the morning, Tuner A is red in the display. It is not connected. A reboot solves the problem.

If you are talking about the LCD display then tuner A being red means it's in use/recording or in use/remote user, White is in use locally, blank (not showing) is available
So by rebooting you are disconnecting what/who has hold of the tuner

Haven't checked the code but that is what happens on my ET8500 receivers

abu baniaz
24-09-16, 16:15
Recording and streaming are represented the same. This is why I am asking if receiver is in standby when it has "lost connection".

netstat command will show who is connected

sarntech
24-09-16, 17:23
What do you mean by "not connected"? Not being awkward just need to understand what problem is.

Also, is the receiver in standby already at that point?
By "not connected" I mean it's not finding the signal. The receiver is in standby at this point. :)

twol
24-09-16, 17:28
If its in standby how do you know its not finding the signal?

sarntech
24-09-16, 17:37
If its in standby how do you know its not finding the signal?
I don't know until I switch it on and see on the display Tuner A in red.

abu baniaz
24-09-16, 17:38
If it is red, that just means it is recording or streaming using that tuner.

sarntech
24-09-16, 17:41
If it is red, that just means it is recording or streaming using that tuner.
If I run the Signal Finder it shows that no signal is being received. A reboot fixes it.
There is nothing recording at that time. It would be flashing on the display if there was.

twol
24-09-16, 17:55
If I run the Signal Finder it shows that no signal is being received. A reboot fixes it.
There is nothing recording at that time. It would be flashing on the display if there was.

Thats because signal finder cannot use the tuner (its in use :) ) ...... and I have just run that situation so its true, but you should have a message on the top (guess it depends on the skin) to say tuner is not available :)
So you need to do what Abu suggest to find out who is using the tuner!

sarntech
24-09-16, 18:50
Thats because signal finder cannot use the tuner (its in use :) ) ...... and I have just run that situation so its true, but you should have a message on the top (guess it depends on the skin) to say tuner is not available :)
So you need to do what Abu suggest to find out who is using the tuner!
I've disconnected the wifi dongle and the same thing happens Tuner A is red.

abu baniaz
24-09-16, 18:56
do you also have the Ethernet cable connected?

sarntech
24-09-16, 18:58
do you also have the Ethernet cable connected?
No, there's no Ethernet connection

twol
24-09-16, 19:02
... well,the system thinks its in use ... do as Abu suggests.
At times some things may not feel logical, but each step is a learning process and we really are trying to help you fix your issue.

sarntech
24-09-16, 19:35
... well,the system thinks its in use ... do as Abu suggests.
At times some things may not feel logical, but each step is a learning process and we really are trying to help you fix your issue.
I'll have another look tomorrow - I changed a few things today so maybe it'll be OK. As I've said it's not a major problem but it would be nice to fix it.
I really appreciate the help I'm getting here :thumbsup:

sarntech
25-09-16, 08:27
It's OK this morning. I changed a few things yesterday - altered the time of ABM update and there was something in Timer which I deleted.
I'll report back tomorrow to confirm it's still OK.
Thanks to all for your help. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

sarntech
26-09-16, 13:39
It's OK again this morning so must be fixed.:smiley_yup:
The only thing that changed was altering the ABM update to a time outside the overnight deep standby.
Thanks again for your help and patience :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DaMacFunkin
26-09-16, 17:23
Maybe the box wasn't waking up for abm and it was performing it on first boot making the tuner unavailable.

sarntech
26-09-16, 18:40
Maybe the box wasn't waking up for abm and it was performing it on first boot making the tuner unavailable.
Sounds reasonable to me although I know next to nothing about the technicalities involved :confused::confused:
About how long would the ABM update take?

cactikid
26-09-16, 22:14
did abu say 30secs earlier on a post?
as on post 20

sarntech
26-09-16, 22:17
did abu say 30secs earlier on a post?
as on post 20
He did say that but I wondered if he was exaggerating. :)

cactikid
26-09-16, 22:26
on my et 10000 it comes on at 0100 in the morning and runs for a min on 2 abm scans saves and vanishes.:D

sarntech
27-09-16, 02:45
on my et 10000 it comes on at 0100 in the morning and runs for a min on 2 abm scans saves and vanishes.:D
Would it interfere if you were watching TV at the same time?

abu baniaz
27-09-16, 03:37
it depends if you have a free tuner or not. If none are free, you will have blackout while it gets data. Also depends on which providers you have selected. The 30seconds I mentioned was for a one provider scan.

ABM will not stop/disrupt recordings.

Larry-G
27-09-16, 04:30
I know your tuner issue was not hack related but I'm very surprised no one asked you to run the netstat command via a telnet session but instead said pull the network feed ?.

For the record if you ever see a tuner in use and suspect it has been commandeered fire up a telnet session and run the netstat command. This will tell you exactly what is connected to your box via the internet and list the IP address. You can then take action instead of pulling the network and waiting for it to happen again.

ccs
27-09-16, 09:55
Netstat command suggested in post#25.